Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zeke to the Bengals?
if we look @ Zeke it likely wont be till after the draft
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 12:41 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: at the very least we likely see Mixon restructure his contract  which he has indicated hes willing to do

I just don't understand the delay. Why not have done it sooner so there was more money to sign someone in FA? I still hope they do but any benefit for getting better next year because if it is mostly gone. 

Same with why I'm no longer really on board with a Williams trade unless it's a great pick or player for player. 
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 09:26 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Being its a contract year ? Would suspect Joe will be in survival mode already knowing the end of his rope in Cincinnati is fast approaching and he must attract another mate. 

Still hope they just release him though and move forward personally. 

This isn't Mixon's contract year.  He still has 2 years left on his contract.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 10:29 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Mixon’s cap hit only 2 million next year. They decided to evaluate next year

That is not correct.  Mixon's cap hit is around 13 million next year which is about the same as this year.  If the Bengals get rid of him next year they would save about 10 million in cap space.  If they get rid of Mixon this year they would save 10 million this year and another 10 million next year.  
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 11:42 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Do you really think they are happy with Mixon and Williams (who can't stay healthy). They obviously don't think much of Evans...

I hope not. But, if they can get a pay cut out of Mixon, he’ll be RB1 this season. If he doesn’t want to take a pay cut, then he better hope he can rekindle some of his talent because he won’t get anything remotely close to a RB1 contract from anyone next year.

Draft a RB1 who you hope works his way to the top of the depth chart as the season progresses.

If the Bengals like Zeke and he’s OK as RB2 (neither of which is a given) and he’s willing to come in on a 1 year “prove it” contract, then sure, bring him in. I don’t get the feeling that’s what he’s looking for, though.

He’s looking for RB1 money, which the Cowboys wouldn’t even give him.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 01:05 PM)Sled21 Wrote: One of the best things about the Bengals organization (and most frustrating as a fan) is the front office is notoriously tight lipped about what they are thinking or doing. I keep seeing articles saying Elliott has narrowed it down to 3 teams, with Cincinnati in the lead. (Eagles ajets) although none have made him an offer.  (He's gonna be cheap) So does anyone up in Cincy have any idea of if we are even speaking with him, or is this just an agent's ploy to get him signed somewhere else. Supposedly he will accept an offer this week. I know he is somewhat broken down, but is still a premiere blocking back, and since we are obviously going to be a passing team, I'd be happy to see him come in and split carries with Mixon or whoever we draft if Joe is cut. Just wondered if anyone with ties up there has heard anything?

As far as I can tell, it's his wish list of 3 teams. I haven't read anywhere we're talking to him.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 12:15 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Originally they were hoping to keep Perine and not mess with the RB room. Perine leaving shocked them. Right after he told them they went and signed Trayveon. I’d expect they draft a TE @1 and then BPA after that. But they feel good about Trayveon. We’ll see.

2nd round is going to be telling for the Bengals. They can go several different ways in the 1st. I think they go “best player available”, which very well could be a TE or OT, which they need. If Bijan’s available, that’s a no brainer inf the 1st round, but I doubt he’s there.

I think they could even wait until the 3rd round and find a starting RB1.

We don’t need a stud at RB. We just need a change of pace back given we’re a pass first offense.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 01:27 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: 2nd round is going to be telling for the Bengals.  They can go several different ways in the 1st.  I think they go “best player available”, which very well could be a TE or OT, which they need.  If Bijan’s available, that’s a no brainer inf the 1st round, but I doubt he’s there.

I think they could even wait until the 3rd round and find a starting RB1.

We don’t need a stud at RB.  We just need a change of pace back given we’re a pass first offense.

In the mocks I do, Bijan is there sometimes.

A TE in the 1st is usually a reach is Maher is gone. If he's there, then not a reach.

I can sometimes get a good OT.

There's also usually a really good CB that falls.

In the one I just did:

Addison is there. Maher. And Bijan.

I know we don't need a WR, but Addison is a freak and you could trade Tee in that scenario for a couple nice picks!
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 12:47 PM)TheFan Wrote: I just don't understand the delay. Why not have done it sooner so there was more money to sign someone in FA? I still hope they do but any benefit for getting better next year because if it is mostly gone. 

Same with why I'm no longer really on board with a Williams trade unless it's a great pick or player for player. 

I think the Bengals think there is no one out there currently that will help the roster, I know most of us disagree, but that seems to be 
the case. Zeke is an upgrade over Joe in pass protection and has better vision, but that is it. Joe is the better runner, faster, more explosive,
better pass catcher and playmaker overall etc.

If Dalton Risner is still out there I would make a play for him though over our backup Guards.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 12:15 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Originally they were hoping to keep Perine and not mess with the RB room. Perine leaving shocked them. Right after he told them they went and signed  Trayveon. I’d expect they draft a TE @1 and then BPA after that. But they feel good about Trayveon. We’ll see.

I like Trayveon a lot, but his injury history is horrendous.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 01:19 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: I hope not.  But, if they can get a pay cut out of Mixon, he’ll be  RB1 this season.  If he doesn’t want to take a pay cut, then he better hope he can rekindle some of his talent because he won’t get anything remotely close to a RB1 contract from anyone next year.  

Draft a RB1 who you hope works his way to the top of the depth chart as the season progresses.

If the Bengals like Zeke and he’s OK as RB2 (neither of which is a given) and he’s willing to come in on a 1 year “prove it” contract, then sure, bring him in.  I don’t get the feeling that’s what he’s looking for, though.

He’s looking for RB1 money, which the Cowboys wouldn’t even give him.

I don't know that that's true. He's looking for a team, or he will be out of the league. I want him, but I want him for his blocking and his goal line push. He'll have to take less to come here. But, that's the thing, for years Cincinnati was the joke, now players want to come here and chase a ring with Burrow. That's fine, but they're gonna have to take less to do it. Zeke can retire a Cowboy, having never been to a Super Bowl, or he can come here on a cheap 1 or 2 year deal to be the blocking back and chase a ring on his way out. I suspect he'd like a ring.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 12:47 PM)TheFan Wrote:
I just don't understand the delay.
Why not have done it sooner so there was more money to sign someone in FA? I still hope they do but any benefit for getting better next year because if it is mostly gone. 

I;m not a contract guy, so I just go by what I hear, but supposedly he is a lot cheaper to cut loose after July from some reason. If they are not going to retain him, they'll wait. If they plan on retaining him, I would think his re-structure would be in the works. I suspect he's gone. 
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 02:11 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I;m not a contract guy, so I just go by what I hear, but supposedly he is a lot cheaper to cut loose after July from some reason. If they are not going to retain him, they'll wait. If they plan on retaining him, I would think his re-structure would be in the works. I suspect he's gone. 

Post june cut you can spread the cap hit over 2 years instead of just this year (pre june cut)
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 02:57 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Post june cut you can spread the cap hit over 2 years instead of just this year (pre june cut)

There you go!
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 01:11 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: That is not correct.  Mixon's cap hit is around 13 million next year which is about the same as this year.  If the Bengals get rid of him next year they would save about 10 million in cap space.  If they get rid of Mixon this year they would save 10 million this year and another 10 million next year.  

His dead cap is 2,750,000 next year.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 01:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: In the mocks I do, Bijan is there sometimes.

A TE in the 1st is usually a reach is Maher is gone. If he's there, then not a reach.

In the one I just did:

I know we don't need a WR, but Addison is a freak and you could trade Tee in that scenario for a couple nice picks!
Would be interesting if Addison is there just as it would be if Bijan is there.   Those are all 1st round locks if they're there.  Maher would be great in the 1st, too.  

I'd be very happy with either of those 3.  Maybe one is there.  That's the hope.  But, if not, you go OT.

I'm hoping with the run of QBs in this draft (4 maybe 5 come off the board in the 1st round), one of those 3 guys will drop to us.

I like Darnell Washington (TE) in the 2nd. He covers needs at OL and TE.   I like Charbonnet in the 3rd Round.  I also like Bigsby in the 3rd, preferably 4th. 

Ain't Mock Drafts fun????    LOL!!!!
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 02:02 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't know that that's true. He's looking for a team, or he will be out of the league. I want him, but I want him for his blocking and his goal line push. He'll have to take less to come here. But, that's the thing, for years Cincinnati was the joke, now players want to come here and chase a ring with Burrow. That's fine, but they're gonna have to take less to do it. Zeke can retire a Cowboy, having never been to a Super Bowl, or he can come here on a cheap 1 or 2 year deal to be the blocking back and chase a ring on his way out. I suspect he'd like a ring.

Just a gut feeling.  He was the #1 RB stud on a big market team.  That's a tough pill to swallow to move to a smaller market team as a #2 RB or even a split with Mixon.

But yeah...if you could get him on a cheap 1 or 2 year deal, have at it.   But, you could say the same for Mixon.

I still say by the end of the season, our #1RB will be someone we drafted this year.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 01:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: In the mocks I do, Bijan is there sometimes.

A TE in the 1st is usually a reach is Mayer is gone. If he's there, then not a reach.

In the one I just did:

I am assuming you meant Mayer, so I fixed if for you. Yeah, wouldn't be against Addison either, him and Bijan are probably the 2 
best Offensive playmakers in this Draft. Addison would be great insurance in case we cannot get a deal done with Tee. If we can
get something for him even better. Also wouldn't mind Smith-Njigba, sure would be much cheaper than extending Tee.

Not against extending Tee either but understand sometimes putting too much money into WR's is not the best idea.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 02:57 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Post june cut you can spread the cap hit over 2 years instead of just this year (pre june cut)

(03-27-2023, 03:26 PM)Sled21 Wrote: There you go!

We can actually designate Mixon a post June cut right now...

But I doubt we do this until after the Draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 02:11 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I;m not a contract guy, so I just go by what I hear, but supposedly he is a lot cheaper to cut loose after July from some reason. If they are not going to retain him, they'll wait. If they plan on retaining him, I would think his re-structure would be in the works. I suspect he's gone. 

But you can cut a guy now and designate him as a post June cut. So if that's the route they were going to go there was still no reason to do it now. 

There were many backs equal to or above Mixons production that signed for cheap. Almost top 5 RB money for a barely starting quality RB is pretty grotesque if the contract stays how it is. 
Reply/Quote