Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zeke to the Bengals?
(03-28-2023, 11:49 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: That’s what they told him. Go get a great deal if you can. If you can’t we will save your spot

Sorry 

Must have missed that in these Zeke threads
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 08:54 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Sorry 

Must have missed that in these Zeke threads

No it wasn’t in it
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Just a few hours ago: [Trayveon Williams] just hasn’t had an opportunity because we had two really good running backs in front of him. We re-signed them for a reason. We’ve got high hopes for Trayveon,” Taylor told Geoff Hobson from Bengals.com. “He’s a guy I’ve really seen mature professionally. I just think he understands what it takes to play in this league. And he showed us that he’s ready to be able to compete for real opportunity, and Chris Evans as well … if we continue to add in free agency or the draft, then so be it.”
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 11:49 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: That’s what they told him. Go get a great deal if you can. If you can’t we will save your spot

Oh well, no point in us giving an older Zeke a great deal. He would be a backup here and a 3rd down back. 

You don't pay them big money.

(03-29-2023, 01:45 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Depends on what you consider a big one. Mixon's longest career run is 51 yards, and he didn't score a TD on it.

EDIT: Researched it, and Mixon has 7 career rushing TDs of 10+ yards. His two highest came in the same game. 34 & 23 yard TDs against Jacksonville in 2020.

Yeah, this is what TLL has shown for years. Mixon has that initial burst if he hits the hole right, but he always either trips or gets
caught from behind. He doesn't have that long speed like say Derrick Henry does which is amazing being as big as he is.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 03:55 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: His dead cap is 2,750,000 next year.

You said his cap hit which is different than dead cap.  His cap hit next year is a little over 13 million.  Yes they can cut him next year and only have a 2.75 million dead cap hit which saves the team 10 million but they don't need to wait until next year because they could cut him right now with a post June 1 designation and pay 2.75 million this year too saving not only 10 million against the cap next year but also another 10 million this year.  That's 20 million saved in two year by cutting Mixon now.  They don't need to wait to do it.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 01:30 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Just a few hours ago: [Trayveon Williams] just hasn’t had an opportunity because we had two really good running backs in front of him. We re-signed them for a reason. We’ve got high hopes for Trayveon,” Taylor told Geoff Hobson from Bengals.com. “He’s a guy I’ve really seen mature professionally. I just think he understands what it takes to play in this league. And he showed us that he’s ready to be able to compete for real opportunity, and Chris Evans as well … if we continue to add in free agency or the draft, then so be it.”

Hey, Trayveon led the nation in rushing at Texas A&M. He IS talented and he can pass block from the little I saw of him last year.

Need to add a RB in the Draft, hopefully an explosive one like Gibbs or my fave Tyjae Spears. 

Love Gibbs as an explosive RB but he isn't a good pass blocker.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 02:46 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: You said his cap hit which is different than dead cap.  His cap hit next year is a little over 13 million.  Yes they can cut him next year and only have a 2.75 million dead cap hit which saves the team 10 million but they don't need to wait until next year because they could cut him right now with a post June 1 designation and pay 2.75 million this year too saving not only 10 million against the cap next year but also another 10 million this year.  That's 20 million saved in two year by cutting Mixon now.  They don't need to wait to do it.

They will wait till after the Draft once we have a talented RB drafted to designate Mixon a June 1st cut pretty damn sure.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 01:30 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Just a few hours ago: [Trayveon Williams] just hasn’t had an opportunity because we had two really good running backs in front of him. We re-signed them for a reason. We’ve got high hopes for Trayveon,” Taylor told Geoff Hobson from Bengals.com. “He’s a guy I’ve really seen mature professionally. I just think he understands what it takes to play in this league. And he showed us that he’s ready to be able to compete for real opportunity, and Chris Evans as well … if we continue to add in free agency or the draft, then so be it.”

Trayveon's problem has never been lack of talent, it's that he can't seem to stay on the field. I hope he's put the injury bug behind him, but I wouldn't bank on it.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 02:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: They will wait till after the Draft once we have a talented RB drafted to designate Mixon a June 1st cut pretty damn sure.

They are not cutting Joe.

Reply/Quote
Katie Blackburn:

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 03:01 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Trayveon's problem has never been lack of talent, it's that he can't seem to stay on the field. I hope he's put the injury bug behind him, but I wouldn't bank on it.

No doubt, seems like Trayveon has been here awhile. But he is still young, just hope the injuries are behind him so we can really 
see what he can do. Last season was the first time we have really seen anything from him as a pro RB and KR.

(03-29-2023, 03:24 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They are not cutting Joe.

We will see...

(03-29-2023, 04:07 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Katie Blackburn:

Sure seems to be leaving the door open to me Soonerpeace. I know you have always been backing Mixon, but he does cost a 
lot of cabbage and if we have better options that can pass protect it would save us to designate him a June 1st cut after the 
Draft assuming we Draft somebody like say Tyjae Spears.
Reply/Quote
It means they are not moving on from Joe but wouldn’t rule it out down the road that circumstances could warrant it.

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 04:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No doubt, seems like Trayveon has been here awhile. But he is still young, just hope the injuries are behind him so we can really 
see what he can do. Last season was the first time we have really seen anything from him as a pro RB and KR.

We will see...

Sure seems to be leaving the door open to me Soonerpeace. I know you have always been backing Mixon, but he does cost a 
lot of cabbage and if we have better options that can pass protect it would save us to designate him a June 1st cut after the 

I should have said they won’t cut him this year. His dead cap is 2.75m next year. I do think they have decided to keep him this year. But if for whatever reason they need that cap space he’s vulnerable

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 04:44 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I should have said they won’t cut him this year. His dead cap is 2.75m next year. I do think they have decided to keep him this year. But if for whatever reason they need that cap space he’s vulnerable

Agree with the fact they might keep Mixon for this year especially if we don't Draft a RB that is a clear upgrade, at least in pass pro.
Reply/Quote

Reading in between the lines it sounds like she is saying the Bengals will make that call in June when everything shakes out. 

She is being very diplomatic when choosing her words and not saying Joe will be the starter, and not saying he will be released. Just that as of now he is our starter which is already obvious with Perine moving on. 

Basically she told us nothing in this statement which is exactly how it should be handled by the FO, and she is probably a pretty good darn poker player as well.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
The Bengals will bring in another RB either through the draft or perhaps as an undrafted free agent. They can wait until training camp or preseason when cuts need to be made before releasing Mixon. This way they can see what the other RBs have to offer so they dont need to be in a rush to cut Mixon.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 06:48 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The Bengals will bring in another RB either through the draft or perhaps as an undrafted free agent. They can wait until training camp or preseason when cuts need to be made before releasing Mixon. This way they can see what the other RBs have to offer so they dont need to be in a rush to cut Mixon.

They would not do that to him. The history of the Bengals is honoring contracts. If they were serious about cutting him this year they would have already done it to allow him to land somewhere. And they’d made sure Perine stayed. The dead cap too much this year but I can see them doing it next year.

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 04:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No doubt, seems like Trayveon has been here awhile. But he is still young, just hope the injuries are behind him so we can really 

We will see...

Let me break it down: 

1) Mixon is penciled in as the starter. But it ain't in ink. 

2) We won't cut him just to cut him, it will have to improve the team. That means we'd need a direct upgrade at RB or using the money saved to upgrade another position more than we lose starting our RB2 (T. Williams). The upgrade does not exist amongst FA RB's, and I doubt the latter does either with Trayveon occupying RB2 and other high end FA's gone. 

3) Cutting him for cap savings does not make a ton of sense. Especially before June 1 (bigger dead cap hit). Most/all of the FAs worth big money are gone, and the ones that are left are old. We only have one starting level spot open (TE1). And we still have $19 mil-ish in cap space assuming we cut B. Wilson. We don't NEED the space and there is not really anyone worth using it on. 

4) But that could change. If Bijan Robinson falls to us, then that is different. He is the only draft guy I see as an upgrade. But there will be more cuts and cap casualties after the draft & camps. If we see an opportunity to upgrade RB or need $10 mil to upgrade the team and feel good about RB2 replacing Mixon, we'll make a move. 

5) But I think we've determined spending $12 mil on a RB is just silly beyond this year. You'd have to be getting awesome production. QB, OL, DL, WR is where we are gonna spend big. CB maybe. 

6) If we draft a RB, it will be to fill Perine's spot or replace Evans. Lot of scatback types but not a lot of bell cows. 
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 07:52 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Let me break it down: 

1) Mixon is penciled in as the starter. But it ain't in ink. 

2) We won't cut him just to cut him, it will have to improve the team. That means we'd need a direct upgrade at RB or using the money saved to upgrade another position more than we lose starting our RB2 (T. Williams). The upgrade does not exist amongst FA RB's, and I doubt the latter does either with Trayveon occupying RB2 and other high end FA's gone. 

3) Cutting him for cap savings does not make a ton of sense. Especially before June 1 (bigger dead cap hit). Most/all of the FAs worth big money are gone, and the ones that are left are old. We only have one starting level spot open (TE1). And we still have $19 mil-ish in cap space assuming we cut B. Wilson. We don't NEED the space and there is not really anyone worth using it on. 

4) But that could change. If Bijan Robinson falls to us, then that is different. He is the only draft guy I see as an upgrade. But there will be more cuts and cap casualties after the draft & camps. If we see an opportunity to upgrade RB or need $10 mil to upgrade the team and feel good about RB2 replacing Mixon, we'll make a move. 

5) But I think we've determined spending $12 mil on a RB is just silly beyond this year. You'd have to be getting awesome production. QB, OL, DL, WR is where we are gonna spend big. CB maybe. 

6) If we draft a RB, it will be to fill Perine's spot or replace Evans. Lot of scatback types but not a lot of bell cows. 

Bijan could indeed change everything.

Reply/Quote

I am not one of the "Cut Joe Mixon" crew, but this is not even close to a vote of confidence.  That's as about as middle of the road non-committal response as she could make.
Reply/Quote