Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zeke to the Bengals?
(03-29-2023, 07:52 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Let me break it down: 

1) Mixon is penciled in as the starter. But it ain't in ink. 

2) We won't cut him just to cut him, it will have to improve the team. That means we'd need a direct upgrade at RB or using the money saved to upgrade another position more than we lose starting our RB2 (T. Williams). The upgrade does not exist amongst FA RB's, and I doubt the latter does either with Trayveon occupying RB2 and other high end FA's gone. 

3) Cutting him for cap savings does not make a ton of sense. Especially before June 1 (bigger dead cap hit). Most/all of the FAs worth big money are gone, and the ones that are left are old. We only have one starting level spot open (TE1). And we still have $19 mil-ish in cap space assuming we cut B. Wilson. We don't NEED the space and there is not really anyone worth using it on. 

4) But that could change. If Bijan Robinson falls to us, then that is different. He is the only draft guy I see as an upgrade. But there will be more cuts and cap casualties after the draft & camps. If we see an opportunity to upgrade RB or need $10 mil to upgrade the team and feel good about RB2 replacing Mixon, we'll make a move. 

5) But I think we've determined spending $12 mil on a RB is just silly beyond this year. You'd have to be getting awesome production. QB, OL, DL, WR is where we are gonna spend big. CB maybe. 

6) If we draft a RB, it will be to fill Perine's spot or replace Evans. Lot of scatback types but not a lot of bell cows. 

(03-29-2023, 07:59 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Bijan could indeed change everything.

Bijan isn't falling to us.  If we want him, we're going to have to go up and get him.  He won't make it out of the top 20.  His talent and skillset are just too good on top of being a complete back.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 08:04 PM)Stewy Wrote: Bijan isn't falling to us.  If we want him, we're going to have to go up and get him.  He won't make it out of the top 20.  His talent and skillset are just too good on top of being a complete back.

Oh I totally agree but if he were available that could change Mixon’s status. After picking up a CB & TE in FA we would be able to draft Bijan. But I don’t think he gets past the Ravens.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 08:35 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Oh I totally agree but if he were available that could change Mixon’s status. After picking up a CB & TE in FA we would be able to draft Bijan. But I don’t think he gets past the Ravens.

Ugh......I'd move up just to make sure they DON'T get him.  

But I think we're safe the Ravens won't get him.  Looking at the draft order, and the top RB's (as ranked by NFl.com) for each team, the first team in the 10-20 range (because I don't see him going top 10) that needs a RB is the Commanders at 16.  So if you want to get Bijon I think you have to get up to 15 or higher.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 09:18 PM)Stewy Wrote: Ugh......I'd move up just to make sure they DON'T get him.  

But I think we're safe the Ravens won't get him.  Looking at the draft order, and the top RB's (as ranked by NFl.com) for each team, the first team in the 10-20 range (because I don't see him going top 10) that needs a RB is the Commanders at 16.  So if you want to get Bijon I think you have to get up to 15 or higher.

Dobbins has been a terror when healthy.  I guess they could take him, but it seems unlikely.

Honestly, Brian Robinson is a pretty solid back for the Commanders, too. He's not top 5 in the league or anything, but he's probably good enough to make them think twice about spending a high pick on a rb.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 07:52 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Let me break it down: 

1) Mixon is penciled in as the starter. But it ain't in ink. 

2) We won't cut him just to cut him, it will have to improve the team. That means we'd need a direct upgrade at RB or using the money saved to upgrade another position more than we lose starting our RB2 (T. Williams). The upgrade does not exist amongst FA RB's, and I doubt the latter does either with Trayveon occupying RB2 and other high end FA's gone. 

3) Cutting him for cap savings does not make a ton of sense. Especially before June 1 (bigger dead cap hit). Most/all of the FAs worth big money are gone, and the ones that are left are old. We only have one starting level spot open (TE1). And we still have $19 mil-ish in cap space assuming we cut B. Wilson. We don't NEED the space and there is not really anyone worth using it on. 

4) But that could change. If Bijan Robinson falls to us, then that is different. He is the only draft guy I see as an upgrade. But there will be more cuts and cap casualties after the draft & camps. If we see an opportunity to upgrade RB or need $10 mil to upgrade the team and feel good about RB2 replacing Mixon, we'll make a move. 

5) But I think we've determined spending $12 mil on a RB is just silly beyond this year. You'd have to be getting awesome production. QB, OL, DL, WR is where we are gonna spend big. CB maybe. 

6) If we draft a RB, it will be to fill Perine's spot or replace Evans. Lot of scatback types but not a lot of bell cows. 

Thanks for some good thoughts as usual, but doubt Bijan falls to us and Gibbs doesn't pass protect well either.

We will see how the Draft falls after and who is out there if we want to improve the team more with all the scratch Mixon is making while
not being even a decent pass protector. There WILL be a competition if we Draft a RB like Gibbs, Spears, Chase Brown, Roschon Johnson, 
Travis Dye etc. Gibbs is an upgrade over Mixon just by his vision, explosiveness and speed. Spears by his balance and willingness to block.

And a RB that pass protects better than Mixon, has better vision and doesn't cost a ton would be of value. Just saying.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 10:21 PM)samhain Wrote: Dobbins has been a terror when healthy.  I guess they could take him, but it seems unlikely.

Honestly, Brian Robinson is a pretty solid back for the Commanders, too.  He's not top 5 in the league or anything, but he's probably good enough to make them think twice about spending a high pick on a rb.

Was just going off nfl.com rankings which had their lead back in the 30's.  *shrugs*
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 10:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks for some good thoughts as usual, but doubt Bijan falls to us and Gibbs doesn't pass protect well either.

We will see how the Draft falls after and who is out there if we want to improve the team more with all the scratch Mixon is making while
not being even a decent pass protector. There WILL be a competition if we Draft a RB like Gibbs, Spears, Chase Brown, Roschon Johnson, 
Travis Dye etc. Gibbs is an upgrade over Mixon just by his vision, explosiveness and speed. Spears by his balance and willingness to block.

And a RB that pass protects better than Mixon, has better vision and doesn't cost a ton would be of value. Just saying.

A lot of people diss on Mixon’s pass pro (rightfully so) But it’s also a bit overblown but the main reason Perine developed was because he was the better pass pro guy but they also we’re managing Mixon’s work load. With Tee & Chase on third and long the better running back wasn’t essential. Initially it was to give Joe a rest. But Perine is awfully strong. They aren’t drafting a back like 5.9 Gibbs.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 05:19 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: A lot of people diss on Mixon’s pass pro (rightfully so) But it’s also a bit overblown but the main reason Perine developed was because he was the better pass pro guy but they also we’re managing Mixon’s work load. With Tee & Chase on third and long the better running back wasn’t essential. Initially it was to give Joe a rest. But Perine is awfully strong. They aren’t drafting a back like 5.9 Gibbs.

I could see Mixon really working on his pass pro this Offseason and being better at it after a restructure of his contract.

Good point on both giving Mixon a rest and Perine being a strong dude (Wolfman they called him). Roschon Johnson in the mid rounds
seems to fit this mold.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 02:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I could see Mixon really working on his pass pro this Offseason and being better at it after a restructure of his contract.

Good point on both giving Mixon a rest and Perine being a strong dude (Wolfman they called him). Roschon Johnson in the mid rounds
seems to fit this mold.

Perine worked on it and became that. They were really initially just wanting to get Mixon managed. It really was just a great set up

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 10:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks for some good thoughts as usual, but doubt Bijan falls to us and Gibbs doesn't pass protect well either.

If the 1st round TEs that can both catch and block are gone, and the Colts want to trade up and get Hendon Hooker at the end of the 1st to get that 5th year option, I wouldn't mind a trade down to draft a RB. 

The trade chart (I know it's fairly outdated) would have the move give the Bengals going from 28 to 35 somewhere around an extra 4th (106) and 5th (138) while sending back the Bengals 6th rounder (206).

I'm still on the Charbonnet bandwagon. Runs, catches, blocks, has great college production, and a 9.62 RAS if you want to check that box.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 02:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I could see Mixon really working on his pass pro this Offseason and being better at it after a restructure of his contract.

He has been in the NFL for 6 years, Nate. At this point it's the "THIS is year that Billy Hamilton will have learned how to bunt and slaphit" conversation. Lol

Also no restructure for Mixon, don't even want him around for a pay cut. A restructure just pushes cap hit into the future, which either means you're committing to him for more years or you're committing to dead cap space.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 05:19 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: A lot of people diss on Mixon’s pass pro (rightfully so) But it’s also a bit overblown but the main reason Perine developed was because he was the better pass pro guy but they also we’re managing Mixon’s work load. With Tee & Chase on third and long the better running back wasn’t essential. Initially it was to give Joe a rest. But Perine is awfully strong. They aren’t drafting a back like 5.9 Gibbs.
Someone forgot to tell Gio Bernard that 5'9" RB can't pass protect
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 03:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He has been in the NFL for 6 years, Nate. At this point it's the "THIS is year that Billy Hamilton will have learned how to bunt and slaphit" conversation. Lol

Also no restructure for Mixon, don't even want him around for a pay cut. A restructure just pushes cap hit into the future, which either means you're committing to him for more years or you're committing to dead cap space.

They’d only trade down for Bijan. But it’s not on there bigger needs list. If they were to trade down they’d likely look at TE and tackle. If Bijan were available it’d be interesting. The others Gibbs, Achane, and Charbonett aren’t even top 50 ranked. Gibbs and Achane are small to boot. I’d like for them to swap picks with Tampa at 18 plus Jonah and maybe a 5th rounder. Go get Mayer or Darnell Wright.

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 04:05 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They’d only trade down for Bijan. But it’s not on there bigger needs list. If they were to trade down they’d likely look at TE and tackle. If Bijan were available it’d be interesting. The others Gibbs, Achane, and Charbonett aren’t even top 50 ranked. Gibbs and Achane are small to boot. I’d like for them to swap picks with Tampa at 18 plus Jonah and maybe a 5th rounder. Go get Mayer or Darnell Wright.

What?

That'd be valuing 1 year of recovering-from-surgery Jonah at $12.6m as a mid-3rd rounder even with the Bengals 5th rounder factored in.

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 03:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Someone forgot to tell Gio Bernard that 5'9" RB can't pass protect

Gibbs draft profile says he’s not good between the tackles. I don’t know about his pass blocking.

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 04:20 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: What?

That'd be valuing 1 year of recovering-from-surgery Jonah at $12.6m as a mid-3rd rounder even with the Bengals 5th rounder factored in.

I should have said they’d trade up only for Bijan. They could trade down for a back as after Bijan most are projected middle to late second round. They need a difference maker at TE ( Smith likely gone after next year and has not been injury free) and if they draft someone like Darnell Wright they can leave the OL alone for awhile. Both would be long term solutions. But they won’t be around when we draft.

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 04:39 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I should have said they’d trade up only for Bijan. They could trade down for a back as after Bijan most are projected middle to late second round. They need a difference maker at TE ( Smith likely gone after next year and has not been injury free) and if they draft someone like Darnell Wright they can leave the OL alone for awhile. Both would be long term solutions. But they won’t be around when we draft.

Makes more sense. Lol. Was seriously confused about trading down for a guy who almost certainly won't be available at their original pick.

Yeah, I am not really on board with trading up for anyone in this draft unless maybe if that trade up comes from a player (like you mention with Jonah) rather than giving up picks. Middle to late second round RBs means they will likely be gone by really late 2nd round, or at best we'll have the final unwanted dredges of that group. Each of the last 3 years there's been 3 RBs drafted in the 24-42 range, it seems to be the sweet spot for the best RBs who aren't the outlier special tier RBs nowadays.

Reply/Quote
I thought last week Zeke said he had narrowed his choice  to 3 teams, Bengals Jets and Eagles, and was going to make a decision by the end of this week.  Weeks almost over Zeke pick your team.      Ninja

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 05:18 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I thought last week Zeke said he had narrowed his choice  to 3 teams, Bengals Jets and Eagles, and was going to make a decision by the end of this week.  Weeks almost over Zeke pick your team.      Ninja

I think he’s back with Dallas.

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 05:24 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think he’s back with Dallas.

I was joking because of the news last week where apparently he had picked those three teams as a place he will play for and would decide by the end of this week.  Then people were like hey he's narrowed down where he will play.   But really it seemed that was news to those 3 teams and perhaps his agent trying to drum up more interest.   He may still end up with one of those three teams though, who knows, but the way it was presented early on was he was the one with offers from those teams and he was going to have his pick.   Also there is still time on the clock for this week and the Bengals have been known to announce a few deals in the later hours.     Tongue

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote