Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zeke to the Bengals?
Not a fan of giving him a lengthy contract or a big payday.

Yet if he can be had for cheap ? Then wouldn't mind seeing him brought in for 3rd down back and to mentor to a drafted RB.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 01:23 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Not a fan of giving him a lengthy contract or a big payday.

Yet if he can be had for cheap ? Then wouldn't mind seeing him brought in for 3rd down back and to mentor to a drafted RB.

No, me neither. I'm thinking one year (possibly two) deal to be the 3rd down blocking back and possibly goal line back. I think with a limited role, he would still be a beast. I think he sees the writing on the wall and wants to chase a ring on the way out.
Reply/Quote
I think we need to draft a young RB for the future, but I'm not sure I want to trust a rookie RB blocking in the NFl his first year. I look at Elliott more as a proven protector for Burrow more than anything else. Plus, he's tough to keep out on the goal line.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 01:16 PM)tms Wrote: The interesting thing about it for me was that he wanted to pick a team this week ("by the end of next week" when the story first came out). Why was the timeline so specific? I guess there's a chance it was a throwaway line and what he really meant to say was "as soon as possible," but even so... a bit weird. It wasn't the end of this week, but the end of next week. Can't help but wonder if they're waiting on something.

Zeke's agent put that out there to make it look like there was this big interest by teams wanting to sign Zeke when the reality is there is probably little interest from most teams.  There are some teams like the Bengals that could use a RB like Zeke but he is going to be a 3rd down back type and he is not going to get a big multiyear contract.  Zeke's agent can try to drum up support for Zeke but its not going to change how teams view Zeke at this point in his career
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 01:32 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Zeke's agent put that out there to make it look like there was this big interest by teams wanting to sign Zeke when the reality is there is probably little interest from most teams.  There are some teams like the Bengals that could use a RB like Zeke but he is going to be a 3rd down back type and he is not going to get a big multiyear contract.  Zeke's agent can try to drum up support for Zeke but its not going to change how teams view Zeke at this point in his career

Yes, and that works in our favor, he could be very useful for us. People just have to realize what we would be signing him for and not expect more. 
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 12:24 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: That's an interesting approach. I guess they could keep Mixon and Zeke more fresh if they are a tandem.

I think they should sign him. Of course at a fair deal. I’m not so sure Zeke when push comes to shove passes up the payday somewhere else.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Report: Bengals Want to Pair Joe Mixon with New RB amid Ezekiel Elliott, Draft Rumors

MIKE CHIARI
MARCH 25, 2023

The Cincinnati Bengals are reportedly viewed as the most likely landing spot for running back Ezekiel Elliott in free agency by multiple people and teams within the NFL.

During a Saturday morning appearance on SportsCenter, ESPN NFL insider Jeremy Fowler said sources believe the Bengals are "certainly looking to add" to the running back position either by signing a player like Elliott or drafting one.

If the Bengals do sign Elliott, Fowler speculated the Bengals would aim to pair him with Joe Mixon rather than releasing Mixon in a subsequent move.

This article will be updated soon to provide more information and analysis.

Sled21: Zac is very genuine and forthcoming. On the coachspeak meter he is a long way from Belichick. But don’t let him fool you. He’s well aware of everything. He approves it and let’s them handle the money aspect. I’d expect it won’t happen but wish it would. Sounds like Zeke is working ridiculously hard to get himself ready. I think he’d be better than Perine. He’s worth 5 million to me for 1 year and let him and Joe battle it out.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 01:32 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Zeke's agent put that out there to make it look like there was this big interest by teams wanting to sign Zeke when the reality is there is probably little interest from most teams.  There are some teams like the Bengals that could use a RB like Zeke but he is going to be a 3rd down back type and he is not going to get a big multiyear contract.  Zeke's agent can try to drum up support for Zeke but its not going to change how teams view Zeke at this point in his career

True, but I was just talking about the deadline of next week. So specific... almost too specific. I guess it could have been the agent just drumming up a market (since sales always have an end date... even when they don't haha). Hopefully we'll find out soon either way.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 01:41 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think they should sign him. Of course at a fair deal. I’m not so sure Zeke when push comes to shove passes up the payday somewhere else.

Thing is Zeke is fast approaching the tail end of his career. Not sure how much of a "payday" he's going to get? And he's probably going to lean heavily towards ring chasing at this point.

I'm all for signing him at a reasonable rate if for nothing else just pass pro on 3rd down because Mixon sucks at it.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 01:23 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Not a fan of giving him a lengthy contract or a big payday.

Right

I'm in no way pressed about signing Zeke, I can take it or leave it. However, if he is willing to sign for a reasonable rate I wouldn't mind having him for pass pro and just a bit of insurance just in case.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 01:22 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Zac Taylor did not clear anything up. He said it would be news to him and he likes the team the way it is. He said sometimes when a player signs it's the first he hears of things. That doesn't mean Mixon is staying, and doesn't mean Zeke is not coming, or not, it was 100% non-commital.  I would not expect Taylor to say anything bad about a player still here, or to talk up a player (and hte price) of an incoming player.

You honestly believe that Tobin just signs players with no input from Taylor? Not to mention not sure how great a locker room guy he is.
Reply/Quote
We can certainly hope that this does not happen.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 02:10 PM)OSUfan Wrote: You honestly believe that Tobin just signs players with no input from Taylor?

It’s news to him when it’s official. He was interviewed about Orlando. He was watching the Amazing Race with his boys and fell asleep around 8:30 on the couch. He woke up around midnight and his phone blew up from all his Norman Ok buddies texting Boomer Sooner. He said he had to scroll way down to find Steve Radicevic’s text because that was the one that mattered.

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 01:52 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Thing is Zeke is fast approaching the tail end of his career. Not sure how much of a "payday" he's going to get? And he's probably going to lean heavily towards ring chasing at this point.

I'm all for signing him at a reasonable rate if for nothing else just pass pro on 3rd down because Mixon sucks at it.

I’m all for it because Zeke puts more fear in Mixon than Perine. Zeke is working harder in this off season by leaps and bounds. Of course he’s in survival mode. Wouldn’t hurt to have Joe in survival mode.

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 02:10 PM)OSUfan Wrote: You honestly believe that Tobin just signs players with no input from Taylor? Not to mention not sure how great a locker room guy he is.

Not really, I just know the Bengals play things very close to their vests
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 02:15 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: It’s news to him when it’s official. He was interviewed about Orlando. He was watching the Amazing Race with his boys and fell asleep around 8:30 on the couch. He woke up around midnight and his phone blew up from all his Norman Ok buddies texting Boomer Sooner. He said he had to scroll way down to find Steve Radicevic’s text because that was the one that mattered.

Exactly...thank you for validating my point. Tobin sought out the input from Taylor and then did his job and made it happen.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 02:45 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Exactly...thank you for validating my point. Tobin sought out the input from Taylor and then did his job and made it happen.

It wouldn’t surprise me when negotiations start going back and forth he says I don’t need to know just let me know when it’s done.

Reply/Quote
Would love for it to happen honestly.

Reply/Quote

I assume the longer FA goes on with him being unsigned, the more the price goes down. That doesn't mean it will go down enough though. 

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 04:40 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: I assume the longer FA goes on with him being unsigned, the more the price goes down. That doesn't mean it will go down enough though. 

He’s going to have to decide if playing for a contender is more important than a payday IMHO. I can see teams valuing his experience and leadership and willing to pay him more.

Reply/Quote