Poll: Using the poll or with comments in Posts, say where you think Mike Brown will be based on how the last 5 games unfold.
Steelers derail us again starting a 2 and 3 finish or worse – Mike Brown commits to finding a New Head Coach
Steelers derail us again starting a 2 and 3 finish or worse – Marvin still convinces Mike to give him a New Contract
finish 3 & 2 - barely miss the Playoffs - Mike sees this as Progress - 8 & 5 since starting 0 & 3 – Marvin gets New Contract
finish 3 & 2 - barely miss the Playoffs - Mike commits to finding a New Head Coach despite progress since 0 & 3 start
finish 4 & 1 or even 3 & 2 making the Playoffs – Marvin gets New Contract for making the Playoffs
finish 4 & 1 or 3 & 2 to make the Playoffs – Lose in 1st round of Playoffs - Mike commits to finding a New Head Coach
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zero Coaches under contract in just a few weeks - How ending impacts Mike Brown Poll
Zero Coaches will be under contract after this 2017 season which will end fairly soon.

In a matter of weeks, Mike Brown will have set himself up for some BIG decisions.

How these last 5 games play out will likely Shape his Final Decision about hiring a New Coach or retaining Marvin.

Use the poll or with comments in Posts to say where you think Mike Brown will be based on how you think the last 5 games will unfold.
Reply/Quote
Even though I voted, what I think will actually happens is that unless we lose out, Brown will still OFFER Merv a contract. But, I'm convinced that Merv is basically just waiting til the year is over and then's retiring from coaching. I think if we come close to making the playoffs up to and including winning a playoff game will be enough for Brown to offer a contract to Merv and do what he can to convince him to stay for one more contract, but I think Merv's done (that and I'm hoping he's done).
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 12:51 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Even though I voted, what I think will actually happens is that unless we lose out, Brown will still OFFER Merv a contract. But, I'm convinced that Merv is basically just waiting til the year is over and then's retiring from coaching. I think if we come close to making the playoffs up to and including winning a playoff game will be enough for Brown to offer a contract to Merv and do what he can to convince him to stay for one more contract, but I think Merv's done (that and I'm hoping he's done).

Interesting take.

I see it differently.

Marvin is only 59 years old, probably wants to improve his "Legacy" as a Head Coach by winning a Playoff game at least someday and is likely used to cashing those Bengals paychecks. I don't think that he wants to quit right now but he may.

I do agree that Mike may offer him a Contract since things have gotten better since the 0 and 3 start.

I just think Marvin wants to keep Coaching to improve his so called Legacy.

Only weeks away from finding out how this plays out.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 01:26 PM)depthchart Wrote: Interesting take.

I see it differently.

Marvin is only 59 years old, probably wants to improve his "Legacy" as a Head Coach by winning a Playoff game at least someday and is likely used to cashing those Bengals paychecks. I don't think that he wants to quit right now but he may.

I do agree that Mike may offer him a Contract since things have gotten better since the 0 and 3 start.

I just think Marvin wants to keep Coaching to improve his so called Legacy.

Only weeks away from finding out how this plays out.

I think if Merv cared about his legacy, he wouldn't take so long to make the obvious necessary changes.
I think if Merv cared about his legacy, Zampese would NEVER have been OC, let alone taking a whole season and 2 games before realizing he sucks.
I think if Merv cared about his legacy, he would never have allowed the OL to get to this point.
I think if Merv cared about his legacy, he would do whatever it takes to win a playoff game, not keep doing the same stuff that never works.
I think if Merv cared about his legacy, he would not be the same coach today that he was after his 3rd season.

I could go on, but I think you get my point that I don't beleive Merv cares about his legacy. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
You left out the scenario where we lose every game from here on the rest of the season, Marvin gets a new contract based on his ability to giggle and keep a sense of humor after each devastating loss. 
I'm trying to remain positive here..Legacy schmegacy..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I voted for winning two games or less, missing playoffs, and look for new HC. However, what I wanted to add was I think at least some of these coaches will be retained because Mike Brown refuses to do a full reboot. He prefers to change as few things as possible.

Because of that, I believe that (at least) Simmons, Guenther, and Coyle are back. I also believe Hue Jackson will be back if fired from Cleveland.
And it wouldn't surprise me to see Guenther at HC, Hue at OC, and Coyle at DC if that happened.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 01:34 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I think if Merv cared about his legacy, he wouldn't take so long to make the obvious necessary changes.
I think if Merv cared about his legacy, Zampese would NEVER have been OC, let alone taking a whole season and 2 games before realizing he sucks.
I think if Merv cared about his legacy, he would never have allowed the OL to get to this point.
I think if Merv cared about his legacy, he would do whatever it takes to win a playoff game, not keep doing the same stuff that never works.
I think if Merv cared about his legacy, he would not be the same coach today that he was after his 3rd season.

I could go on, but I think you get my point that I don't beleive Merv cares about his legacy. ThumbsUp

A person can care about their Legacy but just not know exactly how to make it better.

The only way he can get the "Can't win a Playoff game" Monkey off of his back is to keep Coaching & trying to win one.

One Playoff win would help his so called "Legacy".

Most Men that do even Fantasy Football can get caught up in their own so called "Legacy" in a no name Fantasy League because of personal Pride.

I'd bet that Marvin has his own sense of Ego & Pride enough to want to have some NFL accomplishments to hang his hat on.

It is making those accomplishments happen that is the issue.  IMO
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 02:07 PM)depthchart Wrote: A person can care about their Legacy but just not know exactly how to make it better.

The only way he can get the "Can't win a Playoff game" Monkey off of his back is to keep Coaching & trying to win one.

One Playoff win would help his so called "Legacy".

Most Men that do even Fantasy Football can get caught up in their own so called "Legacy" in a no name Fantasy League because of personal Pride.

I'd bet that Marvin has his own sense of Ego & Pride enough to want to have some NFL accomplishments to hang his hat on.

It is making those accomplishments happen that is the issue.  IMO

I get that, but considering Merv is so reluctant to change, I can't help but think he doesn't give a damn about his legacy. I mean, look at his press conferences! He obviously doesn't care how he's viewed by the beat reporters or the fans, so I don't think he really cares how he'll be viewed years from now.
Reply/Quote
What if the Bengals want Guenther back as DC but he goes elsewhere to be the DC?
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 02:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What if the Bengals want Guenther back as DC but he goes elsewhere to be the DC?

Good. I don't want a single coach coming back. I don't want anyone with the stink of Merv on them.
Reply/Quote
Highly doubt we beat the Steelers in Primetime on Monday night under Marv.

We will never win a Playoff game under Marv.

But i do see us winning atleast 3 more games if we keep up this directional run blocking.

I voted we squeak into the Playoffs, lose once again and we move on from Marv.

And i hope we hire an entirely new staff, need a culture change around here.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 02:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What if the Bengals want Guenther back as DC but he goes elsewhere to be the DC?

Oh well, haven't been that impressed with him this year anyways and like i said hope we get an entirely new staff.
Reply/Quote
I will miss Marvin. But glad he goes on to other teams as a coach. If he decides to stay, hopefully MB will give him a scouting job or something on the side or somehow get him to go to a divisional team as a coach and accomplish with them what Hue is doing in Cleveland.. muahahaha...
Reply/Quote
I'm going to go with 3-2, new coach.

Mainly because I don't think Marvin wants to come back anyway. Also, I have a hard time believing we beat either Minnesota or Pittsburgh. And if we beat one of them, I'd then be surprised if we beat Baltimore as well haha.

I think 8-8 is just exactly what this team is right now.

You don't offer a succession plan to Hue in 2 years unless you're 90% sure you don't want to coach past your current contract.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 02:09 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I get that, but considering Merv is so reluctant to change, I can't help but think he doesn't give a damn about his legacy. I mean, look at his press conferences! He obviously doesn't care how he's viewed by the beat reporters or the fans, so I don't think he really cares how he'll be viewed years from now.

I think Marvin was on Cloud 9 walking around the sidelines in the 4th Quarter of the Browns game in front of Home fans.

Gotta affect any Man.

In a way, he has no where to go but Up in the Legacy department if he keeps Coaching. Can't get much worse for Long before he could then quit.

I'd bet he internally focuses on positive things he has done, like Division Titles, 8 and 0 start etc to bolster a personal Ego that most any man has.

Has an Outward way of coping with Fans & Media that makes it seem as if what they think does not effect him. Only way to change what they think is to Win.

At Combines, different Coaches walk in and out of the Facility with different Legacies attached to each. Bill Belichick, Tom Coughlin getting lauded.

Marvin watching Mike Tomlin carry a better Legacy from a lower spot on the Coaching Totem Pole.

I'd bet Marvin has a desire to achieve more than he has for personal Pride.

Is he Competent enough to pull it off is the question.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 02:37 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'm going to go with 3-2, new coach.

Mainly because I don't think Marvin wants to come back anyway. Also, I have a hard time believing we beat either Minnesota or Pittsburgh. And if we beat one of them, I'd then be surprised if we beat Baltimore as well haha.

I think 8-8 is just exactly what this team is right now.

You don't offer a succession plan to Hue in 2 years unless you're 90% sure you don't want to coach past your current contract.

I have not heard of this Succession Plan.

Maybe you guys are correct and Marvin really does not want to continue Coaching.

It will be interesting to see what happens.
Reply/Quote
I think short of winning a playoff game, this is it for Marvin. And I think we'll lose to the Steelers, Minnesota, and Baltimore at least to finish the season. I hope I'm wrong about that part.

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 02:55 PM)depthchart Wrote: I have not heard of this Succession Plan.

Maybe you guys are correct and Marvin really does not want to continue Coaching.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17834094/marvin-lewis-wanted-hue-jackson-succeed-head-coach-cincinnati-bengals

Quote:"We had clearly spoke of an opportunity for Hue to stay here if he so liked" Lewis said on a conference call with the Cleveland media. "If that's what he chose to do, then eventually he would become the head coach."

Jackson instead chose to become head coach of the Cleveland Browns.
NFL.com first reported the succession story, saying Jackson and Lewis had presented the idea to Bengals owner Mike Brown. The plan had Jackson taking over as Bengals coach in 2018.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 02:51 PM)depthchart Wrote: I think Marvin was on Cloud 9 walking around the sidelines in the 4th Quarter of the Browns game in front of Home fans.

Gotta affect any Man.

In a way, he has no where to go but Up in the Legacy department if he keeps Coaching. Can't get much worse for Long before he could then quit.

I'd bet he internally focuses on positive things he has done, like Division Titles, 8 and 0 start etc to bolster a personal Ego that most any man has.

Has an Outward way of coping with Fans & Media that makes it seem as if what they think does not effect him. Only way to change what they think is to Win.

At Combines, different Coaches walk in and out of the Facility with different Legacies attached to each. Bill Belichick, Tom Coughlin getting lauded.

Marvin watching Mike Tomlin carry a better Legacy from a lower spot on the Coaching Totem Pole.

I'd bet Marvin has a desire to achieve more than he has for personal Pride.

Is he Competent enough to pull it off is the question.

Honestly, how hard is it to go and coach the Steelers and win? They generally have winning seasons. They have great ownership. They have great management.

The Bengals have won 5 playoff games in 49 years. It's hard for any coach to come here and succeed.
Reply/Quote
Only ONE thing impacts Son of Paul.....

[Image: cash-money-animated-gif-16.gif]

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote