Poll: Using the poll or with comments in Posts, say where you think Mike Brown will be based on how the last 5 games unfold.
Steelers derail us again starting a 2 and 3 finish or worse – Mike Brown commits to finding a New Head Coach
Steelers derail us again starting a 2 and 3 finish or worse – Marvin still convinces Mike to give him a New Contract
finish 3 & 2 - barely miss the Playoffs - Mike sees this as Progress - 8 & 5 since starting 0 & 3 – Marvin gets New Contract
finish 3 & 2 - barely miss the Playoffs - Mike commits to finding a New Head Coach despite progress since 0 & 3 start
finish 4 & 1 or even 3 & 2 making the Playoffs – Marvin gets New Contract for making the Playoffs
finish 4 & 1 or 3 & 2 to make the Playoffs – Lose in 1st round of Playoffs - Mike commits to finding a New Head Coach
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zero Coaches under contract in just a few weeks - How ending impacts Mike Brown Poll
(11-28-2017, 03:38 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17834094/marvin-lewis-wanted-hue-jackson-succeed-head-coach-cincinnati-bengals

This is New and Big News to me. 

Marvin may be moving into the Bengals Front Office to prepare to be the Long Term GM someday or retiring all together or do something else.

If Hue is Fired then he could be coming right back here as Head Coach.

Not sure I want Hue, though. I probably want more Change than that would be.

Mike Brown must have a few pretty clear options in mind by now.

Almost afraid to see what Mike's Final Plan will be.
Reply/Quote
I don't think Brown has control over Lewis coming back at this point. I honestly think Lewis doesn't want to be a HC anymore. He just had looked too fed up this year at press conferences. I think Brown wants to keep him. I think we will go 3-2 over the next 5 weeks...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 04:30 PM)depthchart Wrote: This is New and Big News to me. 

Marvin may be moving into the Bengals Front Office to prepare to be the Long Term GM someday or retiring all together or do something else.

If Hue is Fired then he could be coming right back here as Head Coach.

Not sure I want Hue, though. I probably want more Change than that would be.

Mike Brown must have a few pretty clear options in mind by now.

Almost afraid to see what Mike's Final Plan will be.

Yeah, I'm not so sure Hue would be in the mix now that he coached for his father's bitter rival.....but ya never know.  This info was on the boards en masse.....back then, we were all DESPERATELY hoping Merv would get shitcanned and Hue would take over......well, a lot of us were....others not so much.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Hue would be a tough sell here to me. 1-26 record isn’t very comforting.
Reply/Quote
I find it odd that so many are bringing up the word legacy. How will I be viewed once I'm gone. I think that is a mindset of the past. I seriously doubt that it keeps Marvin up at night. A rich guy has got things to do for the rest of their life. He knows that he will be viewed as a solid mediocre coach, there's no time to change that perception anyways. It's not like he's going to win a couple of championships. Only in Cincinnati does winning a single playoff game have such a huge merit.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 04:31 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I don't think Brown has control over Lewis coming back at this point. I honestly think Lewis doesn't want to be a HC anymore. He just had looked too fed up this year at press conferences. I think Brown wants to keep him. I think we will go 3-2 over the next 5 weeks...

Against which teams?
I'll give you the Bears, but I'm not confident in the Bengals against any of the other four teams.
I assume you think there will be wins against Lions and Ravens, to which I ask what makes you think the Bengals are better than either?

While the Lions don't have the greatest defense, they are fifth in points scored.
And the Ravens have the second-fewest points allowed.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I will be watching my TV Monday night rooting my heart out for the Bengals.

prime time, Monday night, against Steelers in Cincinnati- chances are not good for a Bengals win.

As much as I would like the Bengals to win, the very best thing for the Bengals and Cincinnati- and for the city to have a chance to keep the Bengals- is a complete house cleaning. If they beat the Steelers and we barely earn a playoff spot, the needed house cleaning will not happen.

We need a new head coach who is allowed to hire all of his own assistants  and a few scouts.

I did not know that all contracts were up this year. Maybe that is a promising sign that Mike Brown actually wants to win something before he leaves this world and knows that there must be a complete and total change of culture and new philosophies from coaching staff.

Marvin was finished for sure when we imploded against Pittsburgh in the 2015 playoff game. Keeping him around for another year as well as this coaching staff will be result in another wasted year in 2018.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 02:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What if the Bengals want Guenther back as DC but he goes elsewhere to be the DC?

I'll help him pack.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I don't see us making the playoffs unless there's a catastrophic injury on the Ravens or Chiefs.

Both those teams have a reasonably easy schedule. For the Ravens, I think us and the Steelers are really all they've got left that might beat them. Browns, Colts and Lions should all be wins for them and they're likely to win one of those two remaining divisional games. The Chiefshave a pretty similar road of mediocre opponents. I guess the Jets might heat up and beat them, but the rest of the teams they play are all pretty crappy. The Jags and Titans both have pretty easy roads, too, and are likely to stay above 10 wins.

Plus the Bills have a manageable road, if they split with the Pats and Dolphins each and win against Indy, they're 9-7. Which is reasonable even though the Pats are the Pats.

The Bengals have Vikings (it'll be fun to watch Zimmer give Marvin a rusty trombone, but that'll be the only part of that game that's enjoyable), the Steelers (who knows), Ravens (unlikely), Lions (who knows) and the Bears (who...knows).

So, I wouldn't put too much faith in the Bengals hitting a hot streak here at the end. We gave up too many early for the opponents we have left.

With that in mind, I think we finish around with 7 or 8 wins depending on how the Lions, Bears and Steelers games fall. And I think Mike extends another 1-year contract to Marvin, Marvin accepts and we go down the same damn road one more time.

But — this isn't all gloom and doom — I think this is the last go round. I think the draft this year will focus on rebuilding players (linemen, maybe even a QB for a couple years down the road) and I think Mike Brown retires at the end of 2018 and takes Marvin's .500ish butt along with him.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 05:51 PM)Benton Wrote: I don't see us making the playoffs unless there's a catastrophic injury on the Ravens or Chiefs.

Both those teams have a reasonably easy schedule. For the Ravens, I think us and the Steelers are really all they've got left that might beat them. Browns, Colts and Lions should all be wins for them and they're likely to win one of those two remaining divisional games. The Chiefshave a pretty similar road of mediocre opponents. I guess the Jets might heat up and beat them, but the rest of the teams they play are all pretty crappy. The Jags and Titans both have pretty easy roads, too, and are likely to stay above 10 wins.

Plus the Bills have a manageable road, if they split with the Pats and Dolphins each and win against Indy, they're 9-7. Which is reasonable even though the Pats are the Pats.

The Bengals have Vikings (it'll be fun to watch Zimmer give Marvin a rusty trombone, but that'll be the only part of that game that's enjoyable), the Steelers (who knows), Ravens (unlikely), Lions (who knows) and the Bears (who...knows).

So, I wouldn't put too much faith in the Bengals hitting a hot streak here at the end. We gave up too many early for the opponents we have left.

With that in mind, I think we finish around with 7 or 8 wins depending on how the Lions, Bears and Steelers games fall. And I think Mike extends another 1-year contract to Marvin, Marvin accepts and we go down the same damn road one more time.

But — this isn't all gloom and doom — I think this is the last go round. I think the draft this year will focus on rebuilding players (linemen, maybe even a QB for a couple years down the road) and I think Mike Brown retires at the end of 2018 and takes Marvin's .500ish butt along with him.

Man I hope you're wrong at that...... Sick

I agree with the rest, but the Chiefs seem to be in full blown meltdown.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 05:56 PM)Wyche Wrote: Man I hope you're wrong at that...... Sick

I agree with the rest, but the Chiefs seem to be in full blown meltdown.

I think the comfort and familiarity that the Brown family has with Marvin can't be underestimated.

Although, it does sound like they've been growing increasingly more frustrated by the lack of playoff wins at some level.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 05:51 PM)Benton Wrote: I don't see us making the playoffs unless there's a catastrophic injury on the Ravens or Chiefs.

I disagree with the bolded, MB would of extended Marv before the season if this was the case.

We move on from Marv after this year as HC. Guenther is the most likely next HC which i am not all that happy with.

Want someone fresh who can pick their own staff. Another retread is what we get most likely though.
Reply/Quote
I see MB bringing back Marvin just to get even with the fans of Cincinnati. MB, I feel wants to let everybody know that he's still running this team and as long as he's makin money,he could care less about the win,loss record!
Reply/Quote
Well, I would like to think that the decision to overhaul the coaching staff has already been made, regardless of how the rest of the season plays out. But, we all know the reality of all things Bengal management..

What I'm really looking forward to is Mike Brown, announcing his retirement.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Finish 2-3 or worse and Mike Brown hires a new head coach from within, only because Marvin is ready to move away from the sidelines.
Reply/Quote
I think Giggles retires from coaching, but my biggest fear is Mike Clown let’s him come to the front office forever embedding his failed football philosophy into this team!
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 02:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What if the Bengals want Guenther back as DC but he goes elsewhere to be the DC?

Let him go.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 06:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I disagree with the bolded, MB would of extended Marv before the season if this was the case.

We move on from Marv after this year as HC. Guenther is the most likely next HC which i am not all that happy with.

Want someone fresh who can pick their own staff. Another retread is what we get most likely though.

TOTALLY AGREE!!!
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 07:30 PM)ShowMeUrTDs Wrote: I think Giggles retires from coaching, but my biggest fear is Mike Clown let’s him come to the front office forever embedding his failed football philosophy into this team!

^ this!!!  I keep hearing or reading move Merv into a GM role... Oh HELL NO!!!  I want this dimwit removed from the organization!! And take his clowns with him!!
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 06:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I disagree with the bolded, MB would of extended Marv before the season if this was the case.

I dunno. It seems like we’ve been on the “you get one more year” approach for a couple years. Being unorthodox doesn’t bother Brown.

But I also lean towards thinking that when we do make a change, it’s goong to be more than just promoting within. I think it will be more cleaning out and letting Katie put her stamp on the tram. Unless it goes badly, then the media will just blame it on one more Brown blunder before he retired.
Reply/Quote