Poll: Using the poll or with comments in Posts, say where you think Mike Brown will be based on how the last 5 games unfold.
Steelers derail us again starting a 2 and 3 finish or worse – Mike Brown commits to finding a New Head Coach
Steelers derail us again starting a 2 and 3 finish or worse – Marvin still convinces Mike to give him a New Contract
finish 3 & 2 - barely miss the Playoffs - Mike sees this as Progress - 8 & 5 since starting 0 & 3 – Marvin gets New Contract
finish 3 & 2 - barely miss the Playoffs - Mike commits to finding a New Head Coach despite progress since 0 & 3 start
finish 4 & 1 or even 3 & 2 making the Playoffs – Marvin gets New Contract for making the Playoffs
finish 4 & 1 or 3 & 2 to make the Playoffs – Lose in 1st round of Playoffs - Mike commits to finding a New Head Coach
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zero Coaches under contract in just a few weeks - How ending impacts Mike Brown Poll
(11-29-2017, 02:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hey, i guess it wouldn't surprise me if we just abandoned what was working well once again with these coaches.

You might be right and we lose out or just win one, kind of hoping we do to make sure these clowns are gone like i said.

If they abandon the directional blocking and go back to the zone blocking i completely agree with you guys on our final record.

Zone blocking, Directional blocking, Blocking blocking ?

Sorry Nate I'm not jumping on the O-line is suddenly fixed train. I do believe the O-line has gotten better, I just don't believe it's fixed.

I understand what the Browns stats were before last Sunday. But how quickly in a game given an 0-10 record is that team gonna just start phoning it in ?

If it continues this week I'll get on board.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 06:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I said don't give me that shit.

The Browns are one of the best run stopping teams in the league and got back Danny Shelton and another one of their
run stoppers they didn't have the first time we played them. Just cause we always beat the Browns doesn't mean you
have a point. We had to throw the last time around.

Something changed in our aggression, it wasn't near as passive as it has been all season.

Don't tell me it was all Hewitt and Mixon either. They both played well but there was a big time difference in the way
the O-line played. Call it what you want, less zone, more directional, it was different.
Well...  to be fair.

Announcers(Romo?)previously mentioned that the players on our O-Line are more built for a directional/spacial blocking scheme.

Even questioning why they weren't being used in that manner.

Who knows??  Maybe somebody slammed the keyboard cover on PianoMan's fingers and gave his ass the 411?

"Now play the Concerto Blockthiswaysimo you tubby ignorant turd!!"

[Image: th?id=OIP.COeyIT-qVm5HZ-FB2QjV0AEsCY&pid...=329&h=168]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 10:29 AM)ochocincos Wrote: But if you're going to give the Bengals the edge for being at home, I'd think you'd have to give the Ravens the edge for being at their house, right?
Personally, I'd be amazed to see the Bengals pull out three wins out of the last five.

Sure, I give the Ravens a little bit of an edge because it's at Baltimore, but the Ravens actually suck really bad this year.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 06:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I said don't give me that shit.

The Browns are one of the best run stopping teams in the league and got back Danny Shelton and another one of their
run stoppers they didn't have the first time we played them. Just cause we always beat the Browns doesn't mean you
have a point. We had to throw the last time around.

Something changed in our aggression, it wasn't near as passive as it has been all season.

Don't tell me it was all Hewitt and Mixon either. They both played well but there was a big time difference in the way
the O-line played. Call it what you want, less zone, more directional, it was different.

Climb to the highest mountain top and scream it all day. You're just parroting something you read on here that has zero truth. 

How many times have you heard anyone associated with the Bengals point to the "new scheme" as the reason they ran so well?

Zero?

That's what i thought. 

And while we're at it...could you explain this new fangled, oh so mysterious "directional blocking" and how it works?

No?

That's what i thought. 

The difference was, more Hewitt and a more aggressive Mixon hitting the hole and cutting back when it was there. This isn't rocket surgery where NFL teams abandon what they've practiced all year and they all of the sudden become world-beating blockers in one week.

Plus, the Browns. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 07:16 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Zone blocking, Directional blocking, Blocking blocking ?

Sorry Nate I'm not jumping on the O-line is suddenly fixed train. I do believe the O-line has gotten better, I just don't believe it's fixed.

I understand what the Browns stats were before last Sunday. But how quickly in a game given an 0-10 record is that team gonna just start phoning it in ?

I think Mixon sitting down with the Oline and them getting on the same page, getting things off their chest that might have been bothering them, has a lot to do with the improvement. 

It may not be more than a 1 week thing, since Pitt is so good at filling gaps and playing sound. 

If the run game looks, over the next few weeks, more like it has all season, then it was just the Browns. I think the light finally came on for Mixon though, and he's less interested in being the next "patient" LBell and more interested in being the new Joe Mixon. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 10:31 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I think Mixon sitting down with the Oline and them getting on the same page, getting things off their chest that might have been bothering them, has a lot to do with the improvement. 

It may not be more than a 1 week thing, since Pitt is so good at filling gaps and playing sound. 

If the run game looks, over the next few weeks, more like it has all season, then it was just the Browns. I think the light finally came on for Mixon though, and he's less interested in being the next "patient" LBell and more interested in being the new Joe Mixon. 

I also believe something might have finally clicked with Mixon ! Whether it's not trying to be Bell ? Just decided to run harder ? Tapped his inner Earl Campbell ? I dunno ? Fingers crossed it continues !

But I'm just not willing to believe everything is suddenly hunky dory and fine with the O-line. If we see continued success against the Steelers this week it'll make me a believer. 
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 10:31 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I think Mixon sitting down with the Oline and them getting on the same page, getting things off their chest that might have been bothering them, has a lot to do with the improvement. 

Yes, the convo with the line was interesting as I listened to the post game.  Mixon asked them what they expected, and they talked with him about what he was looking for.

More Hewitt, and more aggression from Joe were key, but the blocking was more aggressive, more pulling, and more directional than in the past weeks.  There was still a lot of zone blocking, but I noticed a much more aggressive approach.  It's not out of the realm of possibility that they have been adding some wrinkles here and there during practice and finally felt comfortable enough with it to debut it last week.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 10:42 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I also believe something might have finally clicked with Mixon ! Whether it's not trying to be Bell ? Just decided to run harder ? Tapped his inner Earl Campbell ? I dunno ? Fingers crossed it continues !

But I'm just not willing to believe everything is suddenly hunky dory and fine with the O-line. If we see continued success against the Steelers this week it'll make me a believer. 

It's not hunky dory with the line....by any stretch of the imagination.  I feel it was a combination of many things....as has been noted.  I'd also add, maybe Lazor has gotten more comfortable in his skin, and seeing what he needs to do to combat the line's ineffectiveness.  After all, it's only his 9th game with this squad, with no preseason work to get his fingerprint on the offense.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 07:16 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Zone blocking, Directional blocking, Blocking blocking ?

Oh i don't believe the O-line is fixed by any means and i am right there with you, i just saw something much different
and Rfaulk just says its the Browns and we always run it well on them. Newsflash, when Hill ran all over the Browns
they were 31st in the league in stopping the run. They are 8th this season. To say this is the same Browns team in
stopping the run to me is just ludicrous.

(11-29-2017, 07:45 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Well...  to be fair.

Announcers(Romo?)previously mentioned that the players on our O-Line are more built for a directional/spacial blocking scheme.

Even questioning why they weren't being used in that manner.

Who knows??  Maybe somebody slammed the keyboard cover on PianoMan's fingers and gave his ass the 411?

"Now play the Concerto Blockthiswaysimo you tubby ignorant turd!!"

[Image: th?id=OIP.COeyIT-qVm5HZ-FB2QjV0AEsCY&pid...=329&h=168]

Love it brother! Hilarious

(11-29-2017, 10:27 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Climb to the highest mountain top and scream it all day. You're just parroting something you read on here that has zero truth. 

How many times have you heard anyone associated with the Bengals point to the "new scheme" as the reason they ran so well?

Zero?

That's what i thought. 

And while we're at it...could you explain this new fangled, oh so mysterious "directional blocking" and how it works?

No?

That's what i thought. 

The difference was, more Hewitt and a more aggressive Mixon hitting the hole and cutting back when it was there. This isn't rocket surgery where NFL teams abandon what they've practiced all year and they all of the sudden become world-beating blockers in one week.

Plus, the Browns. 

Wow, no O-line change at all. Just Hewitt the H-back and Mixon the RB. No O-line, Mixon is the next Barry Sanders...

(11-30-2017, 12:11 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yes, the convo with the line was interesting as I listened to the post game.  Mixon asked them what they expected, and they talked with him about what he was looking for.

More Hewitt, and more aggression from Joe were key, but the blocking was more aggressive, more pulling, and more directional than in the past weeks.  There was still a lot of zone blocking, but I noticed a much more aggressive approach.  It's not out of the realm of possibility that they have been adding some wrinkles here and there during practice and finally felt comfortable enough with it to debut it last week.

Exactly Wyche, you see what FIK and i were seeing. Don't care if it was the Browns, there was a significant change
in how this O-line was blocking. Call it whatever you want but they were much more aggressive and there was SOME
directional blocking that i have not seen all season before this.

(11-30-2017, 12:14 PM)Wyche Wrote: It's not hunky dory with the line....by any stretch of the imagination.  I feel it was a combination of many things....as has been noted.  I'd also add, maybe Lazor has gotten more comfortable in his skin, and seeing what he needs to do to combat the line's ineffectiveness.  After all, it's only his 9th game with this squad, with no preseason work to get his fingerprint on the offense.

Rock On
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 02:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Oh i don't believe the O-line is fixed by any means and i am right there with you, i just saw something much different
and Rfaulk just says its the Browns and we always run it well on them.

I don't think you're really reading my posts.

The Browns were a part of it.

Mixon ran much better and more decisively. 

The Oline could have been actually blocking better as well. I don't know. I didn't go back and look at other games to compare. 

What i'm saying, mainly, is that there was no new scheme implemented; the so-called "directional blocking scheme". 

It was mostly players playing better but it was definitely enhanced by it being the Browns...considering how well the Bengals have run on the over the last few years and how JHill always seemed to get better when facing them. 

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 05:01 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I don't think you're really reading my posts.

The Browns were a part of it.

Mixon ran much better and more decisively. 

The Oline could have been actually blocking better as well. I don't know. I didn't go back and look at other games to compare. 

What i'm saying, mainly, is that there was no new scheme implemented; the so-called "directional blocking scheme". 

It was mostly players playing better but it was definitely enhanced by it being the Browns...considering how well the Bengals have run on the over the last few years and how JHill always seemed to get better when facing them. 

I getcha, we have ran great on the Browns for years, but not the first time we played them this year.

31st against the run when Hill ran on them, 8th this year is a bit of a different Defense.

The O-line has been so terrible all year long at blocking on the run, it has been bad. There was a big difference last game.

And i don't believe it was just cause it was the Browns, Hewitt and Mixon.

They were a big part of it, but so was the O-line. It starts in the trenches. We will see how we run block here on out.

You could be right and it was just the Browns, doubt we run all over the Steelers though, we never do.
Reply/Quote