Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Atheists Convention
(04-19-2019, 03:29 PM)Au165 Wrote: God/religion is one of the universal traits of pretty much all people on earth up until recently. We find tribes in jungles that have never seen the outside world and we see many have religions. Many religions share some similarities and many differences, but almost all are rooted in explaining the world we live in and many have an Action/Reward/Punishment aspect to them. Religion has been used universally since the dawn of man to explain the unexplainable. 

I’d also add that it has been used by humans to control/oppress/abuse other humans since the dawn of religion.
(04-19-2019, 12:18 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I think everyone who is religious should punch these guys!

I bet you have a hat that says "MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN"
(04-19-2019, 12:45 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah I just figured there would be some sort of comment.

Just sharing some info.
(04-19-2019, 01:23 PM)Benton Wrote: With atheists, I always think of the joke about what if mix one of them and a Jehovah's  Witness? Someone knocking on your door for no reason.

But I agree with treee, we don't have a lot of discussion about atheism in this forum any more. We used to have a few, if I remember right. Hopefully anyone who wants to talk about it will feel comfortable enough to.

We don't knock on doors. Though we do get new "members" by people reading their own religious texts. Go ahead. Read the bible cover to cover. See you at AACon2020.
(04-22-2019, 11:06 AM)GreenDragon Wrote: Though we do get new "members" by people reading their own religious texts. Go ahead. Read the bible cover to cover. See you at AACon2020.

That is exactly what happened to me.  I was raised in the church and everyone I knew believed.  I never thought to question anything that everyone I knew believed.  But reading the Old Testament turned me off of Christianity.  It is a sick horror show. The religion is based only on racial superiority.  Women are chattel.  Slavery and polygamy are endorsed.  There is wholesale slaughter of women and children for land. Death penalty for masturbation and prostitution yet the religious leaders lie, cheat and steal, but are still rewarded by god.   Omnipotent god resorts to baby killing to get what he wants.
(04-22-2019, 11:04 AM)GreenDragon Wrote: I bet you have a hat that says "MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN"

The concept of sarcasm is apparently lost on you.
(04-19-2019, 11:47 AM)GreenDragon Wrote: https://www.aacon2019.org/

Meh, I don't believe.
(04-19-2019, 01:49 PM)Beaker Wrote: I don't believe in religion in the context of reward vs punishment as that concept makes zero sense. But I do believe there is a power or source beyond us. I don't think this source is a singular being such as a god. I think it would have to be something more akin to an all encompassing energy or love from which we all arise and to which we all return, regardless of how we have conducted ourselves in the physical plane of existence.

This probably best sums up my views. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]