Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Atheists Convention
https://www.aacon2019.org/
Ummm....thanks?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
So they're holding a convention for no reason?

Mellow
I think everyone who is religious should punch these guys!
(04-19-2019, 12:00 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Ummm....thanks?

It's in Cincinnati so maybe he just wanted everyone to know?

(04-19-2019, 12:18 PM)Benton Wrote: So they're holding a convention for no reason?

Mellow

I never heard of one of these.  It seems to be about getting religion out of public lives and government along with other topics. 

Also haven't you heard that "atheism is a religion"   Ninja

(04-19-2019, 12:18 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I think everyone who is religious should punch these guys!

[Image: PREPARATION-H-Rapid-Relief-with-Lidocain...Coupon.png]

Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
To be fair, we don't talk about religion (or lack of it) as much here as we do politics. Maybe this thread will end up being a refreshing change of pace for PnR. Just remember to keep it civil.
(04-19-2019, 12:41 PM)GMDino Wrote: It's in Cincinnati so maybe he just wanted everyone to know?

I never heard of one of these.  It seems to be about getting religion out of public lives and government along with other topics. 

Also haven't you heard that "atheism is a religion"   Ninja

[Image: PREPARATION-H-Rapid-Relief-with-Lidocain...Coupon.png]

Ninja

Yeah I just figured there would be some sort of comment.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(04-19-2019, 12:44 PM)treee Wrote: To be fair, we don't talk about religion (or lack of it) as much here as we do politics. Maybe this thread will end up being a refreshing change of pace for PnR. Just remember to keep it civil.

Cool, I'll kick it off.

Religion...the first fairy tale.  Ninja
(04-19-2019, 12:18 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I think everyone who is religious should punch these guys!

I'm dropping them as they are walking in the door.  

But you make a point because there are a fair amount of people who believe atheists are evil.  Swing away.  

(04-19-2019, 12:18 PM)Benton Wrote: So they're holding a convention for no reason?

Mellow

I get why they have conventions, but it is kind of funny.  

(04-19-2019, 12:46 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I'm dropping them as they are walking in the door.  

But you make a point because there are a fair amount of people who believe atheists are evil.  Swing away.  

There are people who believe that people who believe atheists are evil, are evil.
(04-19-2019, 12:48 PM)treee Wrote: There are people who believe that people who believe atheists are evil, are evil.

Atheist inception. An evil within and evil within an evil.
(04-19-2019, 12:48 PM)treee Wrote: There are people who believe that people who believe atheists are evil, are evil.

Thanks for making me spend five minutes trying to figure that out.

(04-19-2019, 12:44 PM)treee Wrote: To be fair, we don't talk about religion (or lack of it) as much here as we do politics. Maybe this thread will end up being a refreshing change of pace for PnR. Just remember to keep it civil.

[Image: 0d2ede50ac8f0d3c2dcd44990324b025.png]
(04-19-2019, 12:45 PM)Au165 Wrote: Cool, I'll kick it off.

Religion...the first fairy tale.  Ninja

[Image: PennJillette.jpg]
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/saudi-arabia-declares-all-atheists-are-terrorists-in-new-law-to-crack-down-on-political-dissidents-9228389.html?fbclid=IwAR1qGCVwGu6SCzb_thC9W3KwyTrSCxaBWPgxpCvdKhLrg0PTiLFUyBqhSJc

Quote:Saudi Arabia declares all atheists are terrorists in new law to crack down on political dissidents
Atheists, peaceful protesters and those who go to fight abroad have all been brought under the auspices of new "anti-terror" laws

[img=879x1147]https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2014/02/03/19/saudi-arabia.jpg?w968h681[/img]
Saudi King Abdullah, whose royal decrees have declared atheists and political dissidents as "terrorists" no different from violent militant groups ( Getty Images )

Saudi Arabia has introduced a series of new laws which define atheists as terrorists, according to a report from Human Rights Watch.

In a string of royal decrees and an overarching new piece of legislation to deal with terrorism generally, the Saudi King Abdullah has clamped down on all forms of political dissent and protests that could "harm public order".

The new laws have largely been brought in to combat the growing number of Saudis travelling to take part in the civil war in Syria, who have previously returned with newfound training and ideas about overthrowing the monarchy.

To that end, King Abdullah issued Royal Decree 44, which criminalises "participating in hostilities outside the kingdom" with prison sentences of between three and 20 years, Human Rights Watch said.

Yet last month further regulations were issued by the Saudi interior ministry, identifying a broad list of groups which the government considers to be terrorist organisations - including the Muslim Brotherhood.

Article one of the new provisions defines terrorism as "calling for atheist thought in any form, or calling into question the fundamentals of the Islamic religion on which this country is based".

Joe Stork, deputy Middle East and North Africa director of Human Rights Watch, said: "Saudi authorities have never tolerated criticism of their policies, but these recent laws and regulations turn almost any critical expression or independent association into crimes of terrorism.

"These regulations dash any hope that King Abdullah intends to open a space for peaceful dissent or independent groups," Mr Stork said.

Human Rights Watch said the new regulations were also a setback to campaigns for the protection and release of a number of prominent human rights activists currently jailed in Saudi Arabia. It said Waleed Abu al-Khair and Mikhlif al-Shammari recently lost appeals and will soon begin three-month and five-year respective sentences for criticizing Saudi authorities.

The organisation said the new "terrorism" provisions contain language that prosecutors and judges are already using to prosecute and convict independent activists and peaceful dissidents.
(04-19-2019, 01:01 PM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: PennJillette.jpg]

That's an argument against religion, not God. And by his definition, something like say art isn't real.

(04-19-2019, 12:48 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I get why they have conventions, but it is kind of funny.  

With atheists, I always think of the joke about what if mix one of them and a Jehovah's  Witness? Someone knocking on your door for no reason.

But I agree with treee, we don't have a lot of discussion about atheism in this forum any more. We used to have a few, if I remember right. Hopefully anyone who wants to talk about it will feel comfortable enough to.
(04-19-2019, 01:23 PM)Benton Wrote: With atheists, I always think of the joke about what if mix one of them and a Jehovah's  Witness? Someone knocking on your door for no reason.

But I agree with treee, we don't have a lot of discussion about atheism in this forum any more. We used to have a few, if I remember right. Hopefully anyone who wants to talk about it will feel comfortable enough to.

I don't mind talking about it as long as people are respectful of other's beliefs or non-beliefs.  

I don't believe in religion in the context of reward vs punishment as that concept makes zero sense. But I do believe there is a power or source beyond us. I don't think this source is a singular being such as a god. I think it would have to be something more akin to an all encompassing energy or love from which we all arise and to which we all return, regardless of how we have conducted ourselves in the physical plane of existence.