Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dline questions
(05-04-2017, 11:52 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think Clarke gets cut

Clarke will not get cut..

The man had his best season so far with 4.0 sacks as the backup defensive end... and MJ had 3.5...
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 08:08 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Could signal a change in scheme is coming, and they wanted to have enough personnel on hand to try different things with.

I don't know if it's a change of scheme as much as a change of style. We traditionally have linebackers lurking. This could be an effort to mix it up and have linebackers and ends that are both pressuring the passer. Which would make sense too with the change at dt. Peko wasn't as bad as many said, but he wasn't going to give linebackers a hole to plow through.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 02:24 PM)Benton Wrote: I don't know if it's a change of scheme as much as a change of style. We traditionally have linebackers lurking. This could be an effort to mix it up and have linebackers and ends that are both pressuring the passer. Which would make sense too with the change at dt. Peko wasn't as bad as many said, but he wasn't going to give linebackers a hole to plow through.

Either way, Guenther likes to show some odd front looks.  Getting as many fast tacklers onto the field as possible will allow less predictability in who is coming after the QB.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 02:16 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Clarke will not get cut..

The man had his best season so far with 4.0 sacks as the backup defensive end... and MJ had 3.5...

Yeah, it would be crazy to cut Clarke.

Snaps per sack in 2016

Clarke.............93.0
Dunlap..........105.0
MJ.................237.4
Reply/Quote
Dunlap and Johnson were #9 and #11 in snaps played by defensive ends last year.  Atkins was #10 among DTs.

I think they would all be more effective if they could play fewer snaps
Reply/Quote
I think it should play out like this:
DE: Dunlap, MJ, Clarke, Willis, Gilberry
DT: Atkins, Billings, Glasgow, Hardison/Williams/Thompson
LB: Lawson

The Bengals desperately need pass rush most of all, plus Gilberry can play DT in nickle. I think if all stay healthy, Hardison beats out Williams and Thompson because of his projected pass rush ability and versatility to play DE as well. However, I think he'd only play DE in a 4-3 as an emergency given he's 310 lbs. Yes, Hardison has been injured, but Williams has been relatively healthy overall and not been productive (0.5 sacks total in career) and Thompson has been available for 39 games and only produced 3.0 sacks in his career. Hell, Pat Sims has been a better pass rusher than Thompson and Williams from a statistical POV. I'd rather an unknown with potential in Hardison over what I've seen to this point in Thompson, Williams, and even Sims.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 08:08 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Could signal a change in scheme is coming, and they wanted to have enough personnel on hand to try different things with.
I have wondered if they are gonna try switching to a 3-4 now that they got the personnel. I know 1 thing is that the dline group will be intense this summer. Also lawson is gonna be a d end most of the time and will drop occasionally.
Reply/Quote
Defensive line  rotation

Nose- Billings, Glasgow- Sims might make a push but with how little the nose plays they should only keep two.

3 T- Atkins, Hardison- Geno is a superstar we all know that but the competition for his backup should be an interesting one between Hardison and Williams.

Nickle DT- Gillberry- He is an underrated part of this defense and plays  an important position. I don't see anyone taking his role this year even though he is past his prime.  Very surprised(more disappointed ok pissed) we didn't draft Allen, trade for Thomas, or drafted Walker in the 2nd.

DE-Johnson, Dunlap, Clarke, Willis- I expect Johnson, Dunlap, and Clarke to play a lot but I expect Willis to be inactive most of the time.

Nickel End- Carl Lawson- I expect him to have a big impact in sub packages this season on known passing situations.

I have 10 guys with Lawson counting as both an End/ LB .
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 12:51 AM)J24 Wrote: Defensive line  rotation

Nose- Billings, Glasgow- Sims might make a push but with how little the nose plays they should only keep two.

3 T- Atkins, Hardison- Geno is a superstar we all know that but the competition for his backup should be an interesting one between Hardison and Williams.

Nickle DT- Gillberry- He is an underrated part of this defense and plays  an important position. I don't see anyone taking his role this year even though he is past his prime.  Very surprised(more disappointed ok pissed) we didn't draft Allen, trade for Thomas, or drafted Walker in the 2nd.

DE-Johnson, Dunlap, Clarke, Willis- I expect Johnson, Dunlap, and Clarke to play a lot but I expect Willis to be inactive most of the time.

Nickel End- Carl Lawson- I expect him to have a big impact in sub packages this season on known passing situations.

This is exactly how I see it.  
Reply/Quote

Can't agree with this at all but the rest looks pretty feasible.  I think Willis will play a lot, even if it's only on third down.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

This is my ideal scenario. Get these young guys on the field. 
Reply/Quote