Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
espn simulates season...
(09-02-2019, 04:49 PM)NKURyan Wrote: According to the article itself, they randomly selected one out of the 20,000 simulations and used that one to write the article lol. Sounds legit!

It's not even an average or anything, it's just one random data point.

No NFL guru is picking cincy for anything but bad,however all cincy fans already know how much all 31 teams and their owners hate on us,so I say screw them,they know nothing.I am saying we are going to surprise a lot of them. No predictions from me,however I really do feel this team will have to beat the refs and bad calls all season from all the goofy announcers who also hate us and I cannot stand the guy that was the qb for the chargers when we whipped their arse in the freezer bowl and I was there.I had a radio with me with a tape recorder in it and the whole thing froze solid and some of my homies were buying the big beers in the big containers and before they got back to the seat the thing was froze.I wear coveralls and insulated everything and also froze to death and a bunch of drunk guys in front of us kept peeling off their clothes and then after a few minutes they would rush to get them back on and the cops in there did not care,I think they were hoping they would freeze to death.Man that was the coldest I have ever been,but we loved every minute of it.Everyone in my section was so drunk and having a blast,back then everyone was hugging each other and high fiveing and having fun.Then on the way back to Dayton our camper froze up on I-75 and we had to take cardboard boxes someone gave us and we put that in front of the radiator,unfroze the fuel line and make to back around midnight.we were frozen crazy,but still very happy,those were some good times.I had a blast.Been a fan since 1968 the year I got home from Nam. ThumbsUp :andy: Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 01:55 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: and it doesn’t end well for our Bengals:

Cincinnati on the clock: After finishing with just three wins, the Bengals edge out the Panthers on tiebreakers for the No. 1 pick in the 2020 NFL draft

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26942340/we-simulated-entire-2019-nfl-season-scores-storylines-all-267-games

Hopefully they can surprise some people this year!

Interestingly they have us beating Seattle in Week 1 yet only winning 3 games!

I know the season would suck winning 3 games, but to get a franchise QB...it may be worth it.

That said, I saw Herbert play this weekend and he didn't look like a franchise guy. He looked kind of like Mariotta.

And from last year, I don't know that Tua is that guy either.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 05:41 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: No NFL guru is picking cincy for anything but bad,however all cincy fans already know how much all 31 teams and their owners hate on us,so I say screw them,they know nothing.I am saying we are going to surprise a lot of them. No predictions from me,however I really do feel this team will have to beat the refs and bad calls all season from all the goofy announcers who also hate us and I cannot stand the guy that was the qb for the chargers when we whipped their arse in the freezer bowl and I was there.I had a radio with me with a tape recorder in it and the whole thing froze solid and some of my homies were buying the big beers in the big containers and before they got back to the seat the thing was froze.I wear coveralls and insulated everything and also froze to death and a bunch of drunk guys in front of us kept peeling off their clothes and then after a few minutes they would rush to get them back on and the cops in there did not care,I think they were hoping they would freeze to death.Man that was the coldest I have ever been,but we loved every minute of it.Everyone in my section was so drunk and having a blast,back then everyone was hugging each other and high fiveing and having fun.Then on the way back to Dayton our camper froze up on I-75 and we had to take cardboard boxes someone gave us and we put that in front of the radiator,unfroze the fuel line and make to back around midnight.we were frozen crazy,but still very happy,those were some good times.I had a blast.Been a fan since 1968 the year I got home from Nam. ThumbsUp :andy: Hilarious

Ugh we finally got Kevin to start using paragraphs...

These giant walls of text are VERY hard to read. Especially on mobile.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 03:37 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: The chargers in the Superbowl really wouldn't shock me. I think all the Dolphins fans would cry if they finished 8-8. There all about the tank right now.

The Chargers have to get past KC and Denver in their own division not too mention a trip to see New England since that division is just garbage.

I just don't see the hype there especially if Melvin Gordon doesn't play.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 03:39 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Agreed.

Computer simulations operate on the assumption that the input is 100% accurate AND 100% efficient.

Aside from the fact that we have new coaching and philosophy, we should remember that we are talking about human beings who play this game.

No human being is perfect and error free.

So, I view computer simulations as garbage in, garbage out.

One could look at a single game toward the end of season, when enough data is available, and make a reasonable assumption.

But an entire season, for all Teams, before any data .......garbage.

Right

Nearly every season there's a team all the "experts" have finishing 4-12 that ends up 9-7 and in the playoff hunt. Likewise nearly every season there's a team they pick as a shoe in playoff team and they finish 6-10. 

I'd bet that if you went back thru all these computer picks you'd find much the same thing.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 04:48 PM)McC Wrote: Will he even play?  Has he been practicing?

Heard Clowney hasn't even been practicing. Who knows if he plays and he has been known to be lazy.

Doesn't scare me one bit. Russell Wilson should be worried about our D-line.

Just want to see our LB's come down and shut down the dump offs to the RB's and TE's.

If the Linebackers can do this our D-line can feast and we can win this game.

I picked the water birds to win a close one cause of the home field advantage and our young new coaches but it could go either way.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 05:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Interestingly they have us beating Seattle in Week 1 yet only winning 3 games!

I know the season would suck winning 3 games, but to get a franchise QB...it may be worth it.

That said, I saw Herbert play this weekend and he didn't look like a franchise guy. He looked kind of like Mariotta.

And from last year, I don't know that Tua is that guy either.

Very rarely do you ever know if a guy is that franchise guy... And I agree with you on those two.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
The Bills are gonna hang 45 on us fellas...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 06:30 PM)jason Wrote: The Bills are gonna hang 45 on us fellas...

They had the Titans scoring 52 on someone too early in the year.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 06:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They had the Titans scoring 52 on someone too early in the year.

Did the Titans score 52 points all year last year?

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 06:30 PM)jason Wrote: The Bills are gonna hang 45 on us fellas...

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
We'd need to throw atleast a couple Pick 6's to give up 45 to the Bills.
Reply/Quote
Might as well google or ask siri to find the winner of a game. Depends on the software people and we know they are nerds.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
How can any respectable algorithm not .spit out Miami with the number one pick?

3 wins is not impossible, but I'd have that as our floor. I'm going into this season with a pretty open mind, but three wins would be disappointing.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 09:12 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Might as well google or ask siri to find the winner of a game. Depends on the software people and we know they are nerds.

There are just too many variables, freak occurrences, lucky bounces, blown calls, injuries, etc. to ever allow a whole season to be even remotely predicted.  How well do people even do on a weekly basis?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
ESPN simulates presenting sports news these days. Big Grin

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 11:28 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: ESPN simulates being sports news these days.  Big Grin

LMAO
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 10:15 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: How can any respectable algorithm not .spit out Miami with the number one pick?

3 wins is not impossible, but I'd have that as our floor. I'm going into this season with a pretty open mind, but three wins would be disappointing.

Miami is actively tanking and setting up to draft Tua #1 overall next year. That said, I only see the Bengals winning 5 or 6 games. The OL is still flat terrible, and the LB corps is still weak.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 01:55 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: and it doesn’t end well for our Bengals:

Cincinnati on the clock: After finishing with just three wins, the Bengals edge out the Panthers on tiebreakers for the No. 1 pick in the 2020 NFL draft

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26942340/we-simulated-entire-2019-nfl-season-scores-storylines-all-267-games

Hopefully they can surprise some people this year!
On the Bengals Paul Brown Show with Phil Samp around 1971 or 1972, Samp asked Paul Brown about the preseason predictions.  Already Hall Of Fame Paul Brown said, "  Every summer all of these media preseason predictions come out. They say where every team is going to finish and who will win the championship.  It makes you wonder why we should even play the season.  However every year these media preseason predictions are always wrong and the teams don't finish where they predicted. Therefore I think we in the NFL will just go ahead and play the season anyway."

So Paul Brown made it clear he didn't think much of preseason media predictions.  Felt they were not football and just a waste of time. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
No way they beat Seattle...lol
Reply/Quote