Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
if Mike brown really wanted to win
I'd go get a tackle from one of these losing teams. Pro bowl tackle Joe Staley is on the trade block in San Fran. I feel this would pay off big time in the run game and pass game. I don't like Bodine but I have to say Cedric is worse then Bodine. There's also Joe Thomas in Cleveland, but Hue says he's not going anywhere, but wave a draft pick in front of him and he might bite. Also the receiver from the 49ers Tory Reed? I think it is, hes a good deep threat wouldn't mind him either. But I'd rather have o line help. We got some big competition this year even for wild card. I think it would be very wise to just go all in for once. What do y'all think?
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 02:39 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I'd go get a tackle from one of these losing teams. Pro bowl tackle Joe Staley is on the trade block in San Fran. I feel this would pay off big time in the run game and pass game. I don't like Bodine but I have to say Cedric is worse then Bodine. There's also Joe Thomas in Cleveland, but Hue says he's not going anywhere, but wave a draft pick in front of him and he might bite. Also the receiver from the 49ers Tory Reed? I think it is, hes a good deep threat wouldn't mind him either. But I'd rather have o line help. We got some big competition this year even for wild card. I think it would be very wise to just go all in for once. What do y'all think?

Ehh im okay w/o torrey smith. I think our receiving corp is pretty decent.

Those OL wouldnt be bad, but its never gonna happen.

Brown will keep what he has (ogbeuhi) rather than digging into his pockets. He is conservative and always has been
Reply/Quote
I heard Hue said Thomas was available, but he wanted a first or second for him...
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 09:06 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I heard Hue said Thomas was available, but he wanted a first or second for him...

A top-line tackle is worth a 2nd rounder.  It's the known versus the unknown.  I'd do it for a 2nd in a heartbeat.  No guarantee any college pick pans out (see Ced O.).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Joe Thomas would be a great pick up. But not going to happen - Bengals organization would rather build their Bust and IR camp from the Draft. 
Reply/Quote
The Bengals have 6.6 million in cap space right now, but Joe Thomas has a 9.5 Million dollar cap hit so we'd have to clear 3 million in cap to even make it possible. Before someone starts throwing out names to cut, realize there are dead money issues associated with many of the vets that would not really clear as much cap as you'd expect. Financially it doesn't appear feasible or smart to do mid year if it requires changing up the rest of the team. Staley has a similar cap number which means he is going to create the same problem.

People like to think things are as easy as call them up and give them a pick. There are a lot of issues associated with trading guys mid season that make it a tough thing to do.
Reply/Quote
They'd NEVER trade a draft pick to replace a guy they picked in the 1st Round last year.

Mainly for financial reasons:
1 ) Staley is signed through 2019 for a hefty contract.
2 ) CO is cheap labor for 3 more seasons.
3 ) The draft pick they trade is cheap labor for 4-5 years.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 10:20 AM)Au165 Wrote: The Bengals have 6.6 million in cap space right now, but Joe Thomas has a 9.5 Million dollar cap hit so we'd have to clear 3 million in cap to even make it possible. Before someone starts throwing out names to cut, realize there are dead money issues associated with many of the vets that would not really clear as much cap as you'd expect. Financially it doesn't appear feasible or smart to do mid year if it requires changing up the rest of the team. Staley has a similar cap number which means he is going to create the same problem.

People like to think things are as easy as call them up and give them a pick. There are a lot of issues associated with trading guys mid season that make it a tough thing to do.

Is that $9.5 million prorated for this year? 7 games into the season.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 10:33 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Is that $9.5 million prorated for this year? 7 games into the season.

Actually, after checking again the team trading takes the hit for the bonus, but In Thomas's situation there was little bonus mainly base. I believe the Bengals would only be liable for remaining prorated cap. It is possible, but there are still some other issues involved like future money that is high based on their ages.

Financially this would simply be a bad move. That isn't even looking at the idea of giving up high picks for older lineman.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 02:44 AM)Gohards Wrote: Ehh im okay w/o torrey smith. I think our receiving corp is pretty decent.

Those OL wouldnt be bad, but its never gonna happen.

Brown will keep what he has (ogbeuhi) rather than digging into his pockets. He is conservative and always has been

I'd like to see core activated, but torey smith is a deep threat we need if they don't want to use core.  Plus I think he can return.  Immediate upgrade on returns. But I'd rather have a tackle, it's obvious we need line help, this would be a all in move w have never seen.  Come on Mike brown don't you want to win a ring?
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 09:51 AM)bengals73 Wrote: Joe Thomas would be a great pick up. But not going to happen - Bengals organization would rather build their Bust and IR camp from the Draft. 

Sad but true 
Reply/Quote
no to Torrey Smith, WRs are the least of our problems.

We need O-Line help and another pass rusher!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 09:50 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: A top-line tackle is worth a 2nd rounder.  It's the known versus the unknown.  I'd do it for a 2nd in a heartbeat.  No guarantee any college pick pans out (see Ced O.).

Yeah, it would probably be a 2nd rounder outside the Division. It would cost us a 1st.
Reply/Quote
The team didn't spend two 2015 first round picks on the position just to spend more draft picks on a trade a year later. Use your head OP.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I think Winston has at least been serviceable, which is much better than what CO has been.

I'd give CO a couple more short-leash games, and if he continues to flounder, just roll with Winston the rest of 2016.

We need to look for a younger version of Winston this offseason though. In case this is just who CO is.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'm not saying we couldn't use more help at WR, but for Torrey Smith to work you need deep routes. Which means holding the ball. We can't protect Dalton as it is.

Now trading for Joe Thomas? Normally I'd say it would take some time for a player to get accustomed to our system, but I don't hate this idea.

Reply/Quote
If we trade for Joe Thomas or Joe Staley, who is going to play RT?

You can't just flip Whit over to the right side. Thomas and Staley aren't moving over there.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 03:57 PM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: The team didn't spend two 2015 first round picks on the position just to spend more draft picks on a trade a year later. Use your head OP.

Did this team spend two 2015 first round picks to have a crap o-line?  Because that's what we got up in here!
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 04:40 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: If we trade for Joe Thomas or Joe Staley, who is going to play RT?

You can't just flip Whit over to the right side. Thomas and Staley aren't moving over there.

Um well he better if he wants a job lol he don't make the decisions.if guys want to win a ring they'll do what it takes. And to answer another question yes it looks like our draft picks aren't that good.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 05:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Did this team spend two 2015 first round picks to have a crap o-line?  Because that's what we got up in here!

They had really better work hard with both of them in the offseason to improve their strength.  Fisher was horrible at first but has improved to where he is at least serviceable.  They need to see huge improvement in year 3 from both.  And it won't happen on its own.  
Reply/Quote