No...
47.62%
10 47.62%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is it racist...
(11-23-2015, 03:55 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: He used present tense "portray". 

(11-23-2015, 04:42 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: I guess you weren't being fair.  

I somehow missed that.
I am a dolt.
Tongue
(11-23-2015, 05:20 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I somehow missed that.
I am a dolt.
Tongue

Well to be fair.....nope you're a dolt.   LOL
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(11-23-2015, 03:48 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Was the media liberal in the 50's-60's?  

Leave it to a librool progressuf like myself not to understand the implied past tense.  

Yes, I did miss the present tense.
But, I did say barring the liberal aspect. 
So... you missed something,  too.
*neeners*
I love how you made this thread to really show me how racist you claim I am.  

Take away the 5-6 people who use the label racist like its going out of style and you pretty much have significant majority saying it's not racist.  

8-6 even when counting the abusers of the word is hardly a Margin a to say I am a racist .  

Do most think I am a racist ..... Or just sometimes insensitive and spicey when makng my point....  

Wonder how that would come out .
Best part was that you tossed this into the general forum. I guess it was kicked back into here...
(11-23-2015, 06:09 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I love how you made this thread to really show me how racist you claim I am.  

Take away the 5-6 people who use the label racist like its going out of style and you pretty much have significant majority saying it's not racist.  

8-6 even when counting the abusers of the word is hardly a Margin a to say I am a racist .  

Do most think I am a racist ..... Or just sometimes insensitive and spicey when makng my point....  

You asked for impartiality. That's why I put it in klotsch. I wanted it outside of the P&R bubble. Survey says... racist. Even those who are using a scientific definition, rather than sociological definition, of race are saying that it is stereotyping or "rude".

Either way, the majority says "racist". 

[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-23-2015, 06:34 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: You asked for impartiality. That's why I put it in klotsch. I wanted it outside of the P&R bubble. Survey says... racist. Even those who are using a scientific definition, rather than sociological definition, of race are saying that it is stereotyping or "rude".

Either way, the majority says "racist". 

Being rude is not racist btw lol
(11-23-2015, 07:14 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Being rude is not racist btw lol

We agree about something. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(11-23-2015, 03:12 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Funny how these comments are going eh lol

What is funnier is the wording of the choices of the poll that is split pretty much even.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(11-23-2015, 08:51 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Given the variety of ways race is defined, Africans could be considered a race. The most broad definition of a race is simply a population of people with something in common. Talking about Africans as a whole would fit that.

Personally, while it could certainly be seen as racism when using the broader definitions, I prefer to just call it prejudice as that is what racism is rooted in anyway. It's also being an ignorant ass hat, but we'll just stick with the more proper descriptor.

So everyone in South Africa could be considered the same race?

(11-23-2015, 08:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So everyone in South Africa could be considered the same race?

Depending upon the qualifier being used, probably so.
(11-23-2015, 11:43 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Depending upon the qualifier being used, probably so.

I've got a good qualifier, apartheid.

a·part·heid

əˈpärtˌ(h)āt,əˈpärtˌ(h)īt/
noun
historical
noun: apartheid
(in South Africa) a policy or system of segregation or discrimination on grounds of race.
(11-23-2015, 11:53 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I've got a good qualifier, apartheid.

a·part·heid

noun
historical
(in South Africa) a policy or system of segregation or discrimination on grounds of race.

Yeah, I'm not sure Nelson Mandela would have agreed with Matt's "qualifiers" of race. 

(11-23-2015, 11:53 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I've got a good qualifier, apartheid.

a·part·heid

noun
historical

You need to consider that these are also the same guys who let people change their sex, race, and whatever else on a whim .   So qualifier could mean anything.

You are assuming they accept the laws of nature.
(11-23-2015, 11:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah, I'm not sure Nelson Mandela would have agreed with Matt's "qualifiers" of race. 

Race is nothing but a social construct that is created based upon perceived commonalities. The most recognizable basis has been on skin color, but that is far from being the only method used to determine race. The answer to "what is race?" is far from the, for lack of a better phrase, black and white way some people view it. Much like many things we discuss in here, there is far more nuance to this than some people care to allow for.
(11-23-2015, 06:09 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I love how you made this thread to really show me how racist you claim I am.  

I don't throw the racist tag around at all, and yes, you are a racist.  One need only look at the pics you posted on the old board to confirm this.
[Image: 12249676_10153604268736598_3081766695081...e=56F0B3A7]

Except for, you know, the savages. Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-24-2015, 12:01 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Race is nothing but a social construct that is created based upon perceived commonalities. The most recognizable basis has been on skin color, but that is far from being the only method used to determine race. The answer to "what is race?" is far from the, for lack of a better phrase, black and white way some people view it. Much like many things we discuss in here, there is far more nuance to this than some people care to allow for.

We've had this discussion before. Let's just say we have different "qualifiers" for race. 

Just a quick question: What race do you consider yourself?

(11-24-2015, 12:23 AM)bfine32 Wrote: We've had this discussion before. Let's just say we have different "qualifiers" for race. 

Just a quick question: What race do you consider yourself?

Depends upon the context of the question.

Really, we should just not bother down this rabbit hole. You are stuck on the concept of race based upon a particular biological factor and the way I see race is much broader and includes the viewpoints of the social sciences. We will not see eye to eye on this and neither will satisfy the other in our answers.
(11-24-2015, 12:33 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Depends upon the context of the question.

Let's try this context:

"Belsnickel, what race do you consider yourself?"