Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
it's high time we moved on from Whitworth
It's sad to see his career be reduced to being on the Bengals site, but his time is up.

I wouldn't extend him. I could see him having a good year or two in New England, but that's about it. His play will probably regress from here on out.

Then we could roll with Ogbugehi, Fisher, and some new blood. It might be rocky for awhile, but i'm sure a coach not named Paul could coach up some youngins to be good enough for a year or two. This proposal is assuming we get much needed coaching changes after this season. I want to see a culture change in the Bengals next year.
Reply/Quote
Let me get this straight. Due to the fact that the guy who they blew a first rounder on is playing as though he were trapped in an invisible tub of jelly, they would do well to replace the current best player on the line with yet another skinny, undersized, zone blocking dude who was taken a round later and can't beat out our current flop at RT?
Reply/Quote
I didn't say he was a current flop. I'm anticipating that Whitworth is going to start falling off really soon. He's getting up there.

I'm also advocating for this change if/when we get rid of Lewis. Whitworth has probably been Bungalized. We need new people to facillitate a new culture when Lewis is gone.
Reply/Quote
This site is getting more disoriented by the minute.
Reply/Quote
Whit is retiring a bengal... he deserves every penny they are going to pay him.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2016, 03:55 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: I didn't say he was a current flop. I'm anticipating that Whitworth is going to start falling off really soon. He's getting up there.

I'm also advocating for this change if/when we get rid of Lewis. Whitworth has probably been Bungalized. We need new people to facillitate a new culture when Lewis is gone.

.......but will Piano Man leave with Mediocre Marv is the question.  Remember....he has been here since the Shula regime.  Dave. Shula. Let that sink in.......

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2016, 02:50 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: It's sad to see his career be reduced to being on the Bengals site, but his time is up.

I wouldn't extend him. I could see him having a good year or two in New England, but that's about it. His play will probably regress from here on out.

Then we could roll with Ogbugehi, Fisher, and some new blood. It might be rocky for awhile, but i'm sure a coach not named Paul could coach up some youngins to be good enough for a year or two. This proposal is assuming we get much needed coaching changes after this season. I want to see a culture change in the Bengals next year.

I haven't given up on this year....A whole lot of games to be played....I don't see these new guys playing better than Whit.....Of course they see Whit getting older and Andre Smith gone so they drafted tackles, ....Sure, age alone will force replacing Whit, but we need him in 2016. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
If Fisher is the heir apparent at LT (puke), I would much rather him cut his teeth with Whit as his LG.

That would allow Boling to move to RG after likely not re-signing Zeitler. Or maybe Westerman to RG and Boling to Center?

Who knows. But I sure wouldn't want Whit to be gone. Even at his age, he is our best lineman and one of the best in the league.
Reply/Quote
Lol, don't re-sign a top 3 LT who hasn't allowed a pressure in 2 games.

Yeah, that's smart!
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2016, 08:05 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If Fisher is the heir apparent at LT (puke), I would much rather him cut his teeth with Whit as his LG.  

That would allow Boling to move to RG after likely not re-signing Zeitler. Or maybe Westerman to RG and Boling to Center?

Who knows.  But I sure wouldn't want Whit to be gone.  Even at his age, he is our best lineman and one of the best in the league.

Agreed...the way its looking this already shaky O Line is going to go through more change next off season so I'd argue there's more need for Whit to be extended for a year to help transition

Appreciate his play will decline but he's still way above Fisher/Ced.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2016, 08:05 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If Fisher is the heir apparent at LT (puke), I would much rather him cut his teeth with Whit as his LG.  

Who knows.  But I sure wouldn't want Whit to be gone.  Even at his age, he is our best lineman and one of the best in the league.

I brought this scenario up, earlier this season.  By moving Whit and Boling each one slot right, you essentially make one of the strongest interior OLs in the league.  They can make an actual pocket for Andy to step up into, while the young, athletic Tackles can chase the DEs around the outside.  In the running game, you could see an incredible resurgence of Jeremy Hill ripping it through the middle of the line.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Nervous
Reply/Quote
Im guessing OP hasn't watched Whit play this year yet. He's not the problem.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2016, 09:52 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Im guessing OP hasn't watched Whit play this year yet. He's not the problem.

whit is the man. One of top 20 players and history.

Needs to retire as  Bengal.

Moving him to LG is a great idea.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2016, 03:55 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: I didn't say he was a current flop. I'm anticipating that Whitworth is going to start falling off really soon. He's getting up there.

Don't worry...the Bengals drafted the 2 Tackles so they could let Whitworth go and replace him with cheaper options.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2016, 02:50 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: it's high time we moved on from Whitworth

Can we fix the Center and RT spots before we start throwing away everyone else?

We can all see where the problems are, the real mystery is why the team won't do anything about it.

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2016, 11:18 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Can we fix the Center and RT spots before we start throwing away everyone else?

We can all see where the problems are, the real mystery is why the team won't do anything about it.

Center has been a blindspot for the team for years. The most they'll do to address it is throw a 4th Round pick at it and hope that guy develops.

We draft guys in the 1st Round who don't see the field for 2-3 years at other positions and we draft a Center at a position of need in the 4th Round and hand him a starting position?!?!?
Reply/Quote
I get what the OP is saying. You want to move on from a player a year early rather than a year late. It's one of the things Belichick is best at, he always seems to know when to trade or release a guy. That said, you don't do so when you don't have a replacement. Chances are that you're already going to be replacing Zeitler and I don't think anyone really knows what we have in Oguehi or Fisher at this point. Right there you've got two first round picks and a second. Add in your best lineman, even if you are trying to avoid his decline, and it's just too much to try.
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure the OP has ever posted anything that I actually agree with. Say What
Reply/Quote
Let's cut our entire oline. That actually might give Andy a little more time in the pocket comparatively.
Reply/Quote