Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
jeremy hill backup
(01-07-2017, 07:48 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Guards are being massively overvalued right now due to the advent of guys like Aaron Donald and our own Geno Atkins.  

His durability was a big plus, but regardless of what he was ranked by PFF I saw numerous times when the Bengals needed a yard or less that he was pushed back in to the lap of the RB.  He is a solid, but not spectacular pass blocker, but a deficient run blocker.  I'm guessing he ends up elsewhere, because someone have a huge need and he will look like a good fit...a former first round pick.  The Bengals know what he is worth, and will not overpay.

Another way to look at the "money he is going to get":  Would you rather have Zeitler, or Whit?  Or Dre?  For me, Zeitler isn't the priority.  It will depend on what the Bengals think of Westerman, but they also have a plethora of draft picks this year. 

The truth about Zeitler. I would like to have him back but he had a down year especially as you said in run blocking.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 05:00 PM)samhain Wrote:
He's an absolute monster between the tackles
.  Wouldn't be shocked to see him gone in round one, before McCaffrey.

Also, I didn't even mention Nick Chubb.  This is an insanely loaded draft at RB.
Weren't we led to believe that Hill was a monster between the tackles? Not so much IMO.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 09:43 PM)Burma Wrote: I got the cure to to the Bengals RB blues.

[Image: 635848337373932984-USP-NCAA-FOOTBALL-NOR...128386.JPG]

James Conner.  6'2" 240 lbs  4.7 est 40  Beat cancer.  Set ACC Career TD record as a Junior after missing a full season due to cancer and an mcl injury.   Incredibly tough runner.  Incredibly tough kid.   He'll be waiting for us with a 3rd round comp pick most likely.

He would be a great complement to Gio, bringing the power running they used Hill for, but also bringing a pass catching dynamic that Hill lacked (Conner had more catches and yards after his return from cancer than Hill had his entire career at LSU). Also would really complement Gio and the offenses personalities as well.  Think a bigger, thicker Gio off the field. 

And how did he do in the biggest game of his season against then #3 Clemson?  
Rushing: 20 carriers/132 yard, 6.6 avg, 1 TD  (44 more yards rushing by himself than Ohio State managed as a team against Clemson)
Receiving: 3 recp/57 yards, 19 avg, 1 TD (14 more yards and 1 more TD than Ohio State's star Curtis Samuel managed against Clemson)

Yay!  A big, slow RB to plod his way in the AFCN..   Great story, like the guy.  But, no thanks.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 07:16 PM)kevin Wrote: Do not write off Hill just yet. Remember our O Line stunk most of the year. Hill scores a lot of touchdowns.....Improving the O line would improve Hill, Gio, Burkhead, Green, Boyd, Core, Dalton and all these players that need blocking before the X's and O's work.  The plays just don't work without blocking. ....I do think in the future we draft a RB that is better than all 3 of these guys. Hopefully not this draft.  We need LB and O Line help and the talent is there to draft in this years draft at LB and O line. ......I love Burkhead had big game, but, remember Baltimore was also out of play-offs and on the road over holidays.  They had little to play for.  .....I thought Gio did little before his injury.  I see no reason to hand the job to Gio who looked awful.   After 2016, I see no reason to hand anybody jobs. Many players have to show in Spring and Summer practice reasons why they should not be fired. I would have Hill very much in the competition and would not hand anything to Gio or Burkhead.  ALSO,  Burkhead and Peerman are free agents. Burkhead could end up on another team, that is the way of life in the NFL. 

Sorry, I gave Hill this season as his mulligan.  He sucked against any team not named Cleveland.  He is STILL deficient in blitz pickup, he is an average receiver, and he has no burst.  

They will not likely release him, unless they are able to sign Sexy and get a real good value for a player like Dalvin Cook...like he is available after trading back to around 16 in the first round, which I FULLY expect the Bengals to do...

I don't think they will let Burkhead get away.  They value him not only as a RB that can play receiver, but he is also a key player on special teams.  

You are spot on about needing the LB and oline help, in addition to likely needing a RB, DE, WR, etc.  All the more reason I see them trading back and compiling picks.  
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 09:43 PM)Burma Wrote: I got the cure to to the Bengals RB blues.

[Image: 635848337373932984-USP-NCAA-FOOTBALL-NOR...128386.JPG]

James Conner.  6'2" 240 lbs  4.7 est 40  Beat cancer.  Set ACC Career TD record as a Junior after missing a full season due to cancer and an mcl injury.   Incredibly tough runner.  Incredibly tough kid.   He'll be waiting for us with a 3rd round comp pick most likely.

He would be a great complement to Gio, bringing the power running they used Hill for, but also bringing a pass catching dynamic that Hill lacked (Conner had more catches and yards after his return from cancer than Hill had his entire career at LSU). Also would really complement Gio and the offenses personalities as well.  Think a bigger, thicker Gio off the field. 

And how did he do in the biggest game of his season against then #3 Clemson?  
Rushing: 20 carriers/132 yard, 6.6 avg, 1 TD  (44 more yards rushing by himself than Ohio State managed as a team against Clemson)
Receiving: 3 recp/57 yards, 19 avg, 1 TD (14 more yards and 1 more TD than Ohio State's star Curtis Samuel managed against Clemson)

I really, really like this kid, but I think he was injured again at the end of the season.  Do you know the details of his injury?  This is the kind of bell-cow, goal line smasher this team needs, but I would still make it a three-headed monster with Gio and Sexy because I would want to keep all three fresh and healthy.  
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2017, 06:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yay!  A big, slow RB to plod his way in the AFCN..   Great story, like the guy.  But, no thanks.

Jeremy Hill clocked a 4.66 in his best 40 yard time after having months to prep for it.  It hasn't bothered him much in the role in which the Bengals utilize him.  Watch some of his play compilations on youtube.  He seems like a great compliment to Gio.  Hill's hard running style, solid cut and a viable pass catching threat as well.  

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2017, 09:22 PM)Burma Wrote: Jeremy Hill clocked a 4.66 in his best 40 yard time after having months to prep for it.  It hasn't bothered him much in the role in which the Bengals utilize him.  Watch some of his play compilations on youtube.  He seems like a great compliment to Gio.  Hill's hard running style, solid cut and a viable pass catching threat as well.  

Uh, that 4.66 has bothered his ability to hit the hole fast.  Why else are we discussing a replacement for Jeremy Hill?  Hill has good top end speed, like he might have been competitive in the 100M in HS Track, but his time to get to top speed has definitely fallen off.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
mixon runs a 4.53 at 227 but has the frame on Henry
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2017, 09:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Uh, that 4.66 has bothered his ability to hit the hole fast.  Why else are we discussing a replacement for Jeremy Hill?  Hill has good top end speed, like he might have been competitive in the 100M in HS Track, but his time to get to top speed has definitely fallen off.

Hill has looked great at hitting the hole fast at times, not sure if it's a "want to" or an ability thing.  It doesn't look like he has put on much weight or anything like that. So, who knows.

I watched the Clemson and Penn State games closely and thought Conner hit the hole pretty fast.  He seems to be a bit more patient and sets his blocks up better than Hill does, so maybe that is contributing to not hitting super fast.  He's looked great coming back from what his body went through and I imagine he is not at his ceiling in physical ability right now.  But I can't say that factually as I have, thankfully  Pray , not been in his position.

The main factor though is how high of a draft pick are they willing to spend on replacing Hill?  Dalvin Cook, and the other top studs are going to command a big pick.  Are the Bengals looking for a 3rd round comp or later player?  If they are looking for a later round replacement then I think they could do worse than Conner.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2017, 07:15 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I really, really like this kid, but I think he was injured again at the end of the season.  Do you know the details of his injury?  This is the kind of bell-cow, goal line smasher this team needs, but I would still make it a three-headed monster with Gio and Sexy because I would want to keep all three fresh and healthy.  

I saw that and actually felt bad for the kid.  It's refreshing to root for guys that deserve it.  The only thing I have found so far is that it was a "head injury".  I am assuming a concussion since there was no follow up reports indicating something broken.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/sean-gentille/2016/12/28/pinstripe-bowl-score-pitt-northwestern-james-conner-nate-peterman-dorian-johnson-draft/stories/201612280160

Gio, Conner, and Rex would be a very solid, perhaps not spectacular, group.  The overlap between skill sets could really help keep the defense from feeling confident in knowing what's next. Gio (very nimble pass catching)  Rex (nimble pass catcher, somewhat power), Conner ( some nimble pass catcher, very powerful).  I like that a lot more than a simple speed/power  1/2 combo.

Saw this on his twitter.
https://twitter.com/JamesConner_/status/814281222721601536

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2017, 09:50 PM)Jpoore Wrote: mixon runs a 4.53 at 227 but has the frame on Henry

Idk how he got that time, cause if you watch the highlights,mixon looks slow,and Connor looks like he has good speed for a big guy.
Reply/Quote
I like Barkley but heard hes not eligible, Connor, and hurd
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 02:42 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I like Barkley but heard hes not eligible, Connor, and hurd

Connor is a very slow rb will have the same problem as hill has and would love Barkley next year. 
Reply/Quote
I hope we can resign Rex for a fair price for both parties.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Anyone think Rex was running hard for a new team/position? Wouldn't be the first Bengal to put on a show for something other than wins.

Good article to say Hill should be 3rd leg, many of us agree. And it would probably be his last year because I think this guy is too immature to accept that role.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 02:41 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Idk how he got that time, cause if you watch the highlights,mixon looks slow,and Connor looks like he has good speed for a big guy.

I respectfully disagree. Look up his highlight videos from his freshman and Sophmore years. I actually thought he looked faster than 4.53 I think he plays in the late 4.4 bc he destroyed Ohio State and burned lbs who run 4.4 40s. There's a link to the videos in draft central under Joe mixon. Also the dude has hands like Tyler Boyd his one handed catches are NICE can't understate that. But I saw someone on here say hill was always a half step too slow and Hill is about the same speed as Connor. just feel like hill and Conner they need their oline to be good to be good rbs. a rb like mixon I feel like he makes his oline better.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 03:50 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Anyone think Rex was running hard for a new team/position? Wouldn't be the first Bengal to put on a show for something other than wins.

Good article to say Hill should be 3rd leg, many of us agree. And it would probably be his last year because I think this guy is too immature to accept that role.

seen at least 3 articles now saying hills gonna be 3rd string. But if we resign Rex and that's a big if even though he's said he wants to be back he would be Co starter with gio and I think that would be a good mix.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 03:50 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Anyone think Rex was running hard for a new team/position? Wouldn't be the first Bengal to put on a show for something other than wins.

I've never seen Rex not run hard....
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2017, 10:16 PM)Burma Wrote: I saw that and actually felt bad for the kid.  It's refreshing to root for guys that deserve it.  The only thing I have found so far is that it was a "head injury".  I am assuming a concussion since there was no follow up reports indicating something broken.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/sean-gentille/2016/12/28/pinstripe-bowl-score-pitt-northwestern-james-conner-nate-peterman-dorian-johnson-draft/stories/201612280160

Gio, Conner, and Rex would be a very solid, perhaps not spectacular, group.  The overlap between skill sets could really help keep the defense from feeling confident in knowing what's next. Gio (very nimble pass catching)  Rex (nimble pass catcher, somewhat power), Conner ( some nimble pass catcher, very powerful).  I like that a lot more than a simple speed/power  1/2 combo.

Saw this on his twitter.
https://twitter.com/JamesConner_/status/814281222721601536

I can tell you that this guy will likely end up a steeler and could be the next bus if we don't take him.  I am really liking the idea of this guy in the 3rd.  Use the first to slide back, get additional picks, get a guy like Taco Charlton, a Guard, and an OT and you have the makings of a very good couple first days.

What I like most about Conner, as a player, is he ISN'T the one-trick pony you would think he would be at that size.  He is quick, and has great hands out of the backfield.  Kind of like Marcell Reece in his prime.  
Reply/Quote

He has no choice.  He either excels in his new role and ends up getting more carries in an effort to get his next contract or he fails miserably and he gets next to nothing in his next contract.  Seems to me like the ball is in his court and the Bengals have extensive other options.  

I can't help but wonder due to his lack of so-called "dead money" that releasing him and saving close to $1 million against the cap would make sense if they draft another RB.  They wouldn't carry 5 and we know that they love Peerman for ST.  Gio, Sexy, Peerman, and a draft pick leaves no spot for Hill.  
Reply/Quote