Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mail in voting
(06-08-2020, 08:32 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: No; that issue was with reporting the results. The voting itself took place in person at the caucuses like usual.

Thx. Well, let's not do that. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-08-2020, 08:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As to the Why? I agree; it should be a National Holiday each year. I would love to see Columbus Day replaced with Patriot's Day on the first Tuesday after a Monday in November. 

I've heard that idea before and I think it's a good one. The only real negative is it's not going to remove the barrier for those who have to work on holidays anyway (essential workers, low wage, first responders, Russian bots, medical workers, etc). 
(06-08-2020, 07:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What is the reason for mail in voting if you are local?

My parents (both in their mid 70s) used it for the first time ever because of the Corona Virus.

My boss (40's) does it because he travels a lot.

I've had others tell me it's easier in case they can't make the polls that day because of work or weather or a ride.

I considered it myself this year because of the virus but my son just turned 18 and it was his first time voting and I wanted to go with him.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
(06-08-2020, 08:42 PM)Benton Wrote: I've heard that idea before and I think it's a good one. The only real negative is it's not going to remove the barrier for those who have to work on holidays anyway (essential workers, low wage, first responders, Russian bots, medical workers, etc). 

I agree we could change it.

https://whytuesday.org/about
(06-08-2020, 08:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As to the Why? I agree; it should be a National Holiday each year. I would love to see Columbus Day replaced with Patriot's Day on the first Tuesday after a Monday in November. 

Wow, there's broad bipartisan agreement on that one. It can be achieved!

(06-08-2020, 08:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As to the rest: I guess I'm kind of jaded. I was in Afghanistan when they had their first ever "free" election. I watched folks travel 8 plus hours across hostile country just to have their vote counted.

Well, it was their first one after all. Let's see how they do after the fourth. Bigger point, Afghans do/have to do a lot of things that Americans would deem unacceptable. I don't think that's necessarily a fair comparison.

(06-08-2020, 08:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It seems we as Americans are finding walking around the corner to be too inconvenient or suppressive. 

Probably some truth to that. But there are many cases where it's not laziness. Be it (fear of) illness or travel or job.

(06-08-2020, 08:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Folks dispute the thought that mail in voting can be manipulated, but I'd wager as it grows so does "evil doers" attempts to corrupt it. Wasn't the Iowas caucus this year an attempt at automated voting? 

Don't know about Iowa. I think as long as Russians still attempt to hack into the election system, which they did in all states, the fears of any other kind of manipulation are overblown.
That being said, sure it's not a fool-proof system. Small Austria trivia, we even had an actual minister once that voted twice.
"Walking around the corner"?

What about all the places where the number of polling station have been cut tremendously...oh in minority deominated areas.

"GTFO" indeed.
(06-08-2020, 08:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  It seems we as Americans are finding walking around the corner to be too inconvenient or suppressive. 

And Republicans are obsessed with making it harder to vote because voter suppression helps them.
[Image: 200609110646-03-voting-lines-atlanta-exlarge-169.jpg]

There's no reason people should wait hours in line to vote when they can easily mail in a ballot.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(06-09-2020, 10:46 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: [Image: 200609110646-03-voting-lines-atlanta-exlarge-169.jpg]

There's no reason people should wait hours in line to vote when they can easily mail in a ballot.

They shouldn't have to, but it's good to see they're willing to. That's going to be a close state, and could be one of the deciders. No surprise there's a big effort to suppress the vote.
(06-10-2020, 03:27 AM)Benton Wrote: They shouldn't have to, but it's good to see they're willing to. That's going to be a close state, and could be one of the deciders. No surprise there's a big effort to suppress the vote.

It helps when you’re running for Governor and are also in charge of elections and no one makes you recuse yourself. You get to do things like post false headlines about your opponents party trying to hack the election on the official elections website and screw up registrations for minority voters.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(06-10-2020, 03:27 AM)Benton Wrote: They shouldn't have to, but it's good to see they're willing to. That's going to be a close state, and could be one of the deciders. No surprise there's a big effort to suppress the vote.

I'm sorry?  I read Americans are too lazy to "walk around the corner" so we don't NEED mail in voting!!!

Was I lied to? Mellow
(06-10-2020, 04:39 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It helps when you’re running for Governor and are also in charge of elections and no one makes you recuse yourself. You get to do things like post false headlines about your opponents party trying to hack the election on the official elections website and screw up registrations for minority voters.

In March of this year investigators announced there was no evidence to support Kemp’s unfounded claims. Well, no shit. It’s hard for me to believe Kemp isn’t guilty of violating some sort of election, conspiracy, or fraud law with his actions.
(06-08-2020, 08:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It seems we as Americans are finding walking around the corner to be too inconvenient or suppressive. 

Mellow

(06-10-2020, 09:20 AM)GMDino Wrote: I'm sorry?  I read Americans are too lazy to "walk around the corner" so we don't NEED mail in voting!!!

Was I lied to? Mellow

I understand you continue to lie because it is sadly tolerated, if not encouraged; however, no one said Americans were too lazy to walk around the corner and I have never said we don't NEED mail in voting. 

So in short: No. You were not lied to, you're the one lying.

(06-10-2020, 06:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I understand you continue to lie because it is sadly tolerated, if not encouraged; however, no one said Americans were too lazy to walk around the corner and I have never said we don't NEED mail in voting. 

So what is "inconvenient and suppressive" to mean?

I would read that has "makes voting too hard to be worth the effort" which translates to people are to lazy to do it if it's hard.

Unless you would like to clarify w/o the personal stuff?
(06-10-2020, 06:12 PM)GMDino Wrote: So what is "inconvenient and suppressive" to mean?

I would read that has "makes voting too hard to be worth the effort" which translates to people are to lazy to do it if it's hard.

Unless you would like to clarify w/o the personal stuff?

I replied to you falsely asserting I stated something to another poster who was not discussing me or my point and I made it personal by calling you on it?

Suppress(ive) means "to put an end to the activities of"

Inconvenient means "not easily accessible or at hand."

Lazy means  "averse or disinclined to work, activity, or exertion; indolent."

You just chose to use lazy in an attempt to make my stance appear more divisive, because you ate lacking in morale character. 

(06-10-2020, 06:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  no one said Americans were too lazy to walk around the corner and I have never said we don't NEED mail in voting. 

Okay, I am completely confused.

What did you mean when you said Americans found it too inconvenient to walk around the corner?

Why would walking around the corner be too inconvenient?

Where exactly did people refuse to just walk around the corner to vote?

You make these strange comments that make no sense and then get your panties in a wad when someone assumes they mean what they say.

Not trying to start a fight.  Just trying to understand what the **** you meant and what it had to do with mail in voting.  
(06-10-2020, 06:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Suppress(ive) means "to put an end to the activities of"

Inconvenient means "not easily accessible or at hand."

Lazy means  "averse or disinclined to work, activity, or exertion; indolent."

So when I said:

(06-10-2020, 06:12 PM)GMDino Wrote: So what is "inconvenient and suppressive" to mean?

I was accurate in my assessment that it could be interpreted as Americans were too lazy when things get hard.  Thanks.

(06-10-2020, 06:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I replied to you falsely asserting I stated something to another poster who was not discussing me or my point and I made it personal by calling you on it?

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4744290ba4fdd925313f...=giphy.gif]

(06-10-2020, 06:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You just chose to use lazy in an attempt to make my stance appear more divisive, because you ate lacking in morale character. 

Mellow
(06-10-2020, 06:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I understand you continue to lie because it is sadly tolerated, if not encouraged; however, no one said Americans were too lazy to walk around the corner and I have never said we don't NEED mail in voting. 

But, that’s what you “basically” said.
(06-10-2020, 06:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Okay, I am completely confused.

What did you mean when you said Americans found it too inconvenient to walk around the corner?

Why would walking around the corner be too inconvenient?

Where exactly did people refuse to just walk around the corner to vote?

You make these strange comments that make no sense and then get your panties in a wad when someone assumes they mean what they say.

Not trying to start a fight.  Just trying to understand what the **** you meant and what it had to do with mail in voting.  
I understand the need for mail in voting; and fully support it. I used it numerous times as a member of the Armed Services.

I didn't say people "refuse" to walk around the corner. I stated that we as Americans seem to find it too inconvenient and I used my experiences in Afghanistan to draw contrast.

Folks say voting is your "civic duty" we just want it to be a duty that requires no sacrifice of time on our part.