Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
revamped OL
(12-02-2018, 08:13 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I know he is a rookie but it seems at this point that 4 positions on the O-Line need to be addressed in some fashion.  I know Price played guard at OSU,  if he doesn't work out next year at center, I wonder if a trial at guard would not benefit the line.  

I admittedly haven't been watching Price that closely to see why he is struggling, but I remember his weaknesses entering the draft were that he was overly aggressive, he had shorter arms (only 32"), and he only had one year of experience at C. Are (some of) these issues still present and causing him to perform poorly, or is it something else?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2018, 10:58 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I admittedly haven't been watching Price that closely to see why he is struggling, but I remember his weaknesses entering the draft were that he was overly aggressive, he had shorter arms (only 32"), and he only had one year of experience at C. Are (some of) these issues still present and causing him to perform poorly, or is it something else?

I'm not 100% sure. He seems to get overpowered at times and thrown out of the way.

Whether there are technical cause to that, I don't know.
Reply/Quote
I think it is his base/core at the center position that gets him pushed back. He tends to lunge with his head down. But I also think the poor play at guard position is contributing to his problems and the entire O-Line is not in sync. This is leading to lack of cohesiveness and ultimately it falls on Price. I do notice that he gets to the second level frequently but he sometimes is just standing there not blocking anyone. That is a problem.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
IF forced to pick a lineman that I think will be Good in Year 3...I'd pick Price. Centers generally struggle early.

Elflein who started at Center over Price at OSU struggled a lot last year for the Vikings as a rookie.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2018, 08:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...he's been terrible.

People are going to be all over us for saying it.

Because he's a rookie and has only played 6 games...…...
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2018, 02:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: IF forced to pick a lineman that I think will be Good in Year 3...I'd pick Price. Centers generally struggle early.

Elflein who started at Center over Price at OSU struggled a lot last year for the Vikings as a rookie.

Yup.  There are very few guys that can come straight in and be a quality C as rookies.  

Let Price play the season out at C and get some experience.  The season is already lost and it's not like it's a huge deal if Driskell gets banged up.  If he's still struggling next year, then we may need to look at moving him.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2018, 02:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: IF forced to pick a lineman that I think will be Good in Year 3...I'd pick Price. Centers generally struggle early.

Elflein, too, only had one year experience at C entering the draft.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2018, 02:19 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Because he's a rookie and has only played 6 games...…...

Believe it or not...some rookies actually start and play well.

I know...it rarely happens here though.
Reply/Quote
I think Travis Frederick did well as a rookie but I am not sure. As did Alex Mack at Center.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2018, 02:38 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think Travis Frederick did well as a rookie but I am not sure.  As did Alex Mack at Center.

It's rare that we have guys that start as rookies here...let alone play well.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2018, 02:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's rare that we have guys that start as rookies here...let alone play well.

Also with Price, he missed most of camp and several games due to injuries.  I still think his natural position is guard.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Most rookie Offensive linemen struggle in their first year. The 2018 draft seems to be an outlier though... McGlinchey Ragnow Hernandez Nelson Smith Daniels all seem to playing really well.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2018, 02:44 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Also with Price, he missed most of camp and several games due to injuries.  I still think his natural position is guard.  

Plus, he likely couldn't train much lifting. Like I said, I think he will continue to improve.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2018, 02:45 PM)Synric Wrote: Most rookie Offensive linemen struggle in their first year. The 2018 draft seems to be an outlier though... McGlinchey Ragnow Hernandez Nelson Smith Daniels all seem to playing really well.

Yes - Basically all of them except the guy we took.  :paul:
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2018, 02:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Plus, he likely couldn't train much lifting. Like I said, I think he will continue to improve.

Let's hope so cuz, either way, he'll be the starter for five years.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2018, 02:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes - Basically all of them except the guy we took.  :paul:

But most of them started slow and have really gotten better as the season continued. This was what Price's 3rd or 4th game?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2018, 12:38 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This is the worst offensive line I’ve ever seen and I’m going to be brutally honest.  Frank Pollock isn’t what we thought he would be.  He’s a bust as a coach.  While the run blocking is infinitesimally improved, the pass blocking is dramatically worse.   In pass protection, the line still moves backwards and tries to catch the defenders while they are running at full tilt toward the quarterback.  Poor Jeff Driskel got steamrolled.

Pollack got unrealistic expectations from the minute he signed with Cincinnati. Remember, he's had to work with mostly Alexander's hand-picked OL.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2018, 02:45 PM)Synric Wrote: Most rookie Offensive linemen struggle in their first year. The 2018 draft seems to be an outlier though... McGlinchey Ragnow Hernandez Nelson Smith Daniels all seem to playing really well.

To be fair, I think many of us (I know I did) had Nelson, McGlinchey, Ragnow, Hernandez, Wynn, and Daniels all ahead of Price in terms of OL prospect rankings. I had Price in the late 30's to early 40's. I'm not surprised all those guys (minus Wynn because he's been hurt all year) have done well and better than Price.

EDIT - The Colts' return to relevancy can be directly associated with their smart selections of Quenton Nelson and Braden Smith.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2018, 02:49 PM)Synric Wrote: But most of them started slow and have really gotten better as the season continued. This was what Price's 3rd or 4th game?

Definitely a combination of factors.  Coming off the injury/delayed participation in camp, then getting the foot injury that interrupted valuable developmental time before things fell completely apart.  Then, you have the fact that he's a rookie starter on a patch-work, scrap-yard Offensive Line, on a team where players complaining about effort and mentality to the media.

That's not a recipe for success, no matter who you are.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2018, 03:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: EDIT - The Colts' return to relevancy can be directly associated with their smart selections of Quenton Nelson and Braden Smith.

How is that possible? According to many hear, it takes years to build a new OL..lol
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote