Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
revamped OL
(12-04-2018, 03:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is just another message board myth.

Last year we had 6 draft picks who played over 25% of the team snaps (not counting special teams) Lawson 42%, Mixon 40%, Glasglow 36%, Willis 31%,  Evans 27%, and Malone 26%.

Overall Marvin plays rookies as much as the average NFL coach.  I'll post the numbers if you disagree.

So the highest one played 42% of the snaps. Basically they played less than half the time to a quarter of the time.

Some teams actually play rookies more snaps.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2018, 05:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So the highest one played 42% of the snaps. Basically they played less than half the time to a quarter of the time.

Some teams actually play rookies more snaps.

You mean like Tyler Boyd, Jeremy Hill, Russell Bodine, Tyler Eifert, Giovani Bernard, Kevin Zeitler, A J Green, Andy Dalton, Jermain Gresham, Carlos Dunlap, Jordan Shipley, Rey Maualuga, Keith Rivers, Leon Hall, Jonathan Joseph, Andrew Whitworth, Domata Peko, David Pollack, Odell Thurman, Chris Henry, Keiwan Ratliff, Madieu Williams, Landon Johnson, Eric Steinbach, and Jeremi Johnson?

Here are some numbers from 2017, but since they cover an entire decade I'd guess they are still pretty accurate..... According to profootballreference over the last ten years there have been 227 different rookies who started at least 14 games. Since there are 32 teams that is an average of 7.1 per team. Over that period the Bengals have 7 different rookies who have started at least 14 games.

Marvin plays rookies as much as the average NFL head coach.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2018, 05:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You mean like Tyler Boyd, Jeremy Hill, Russell Bodine, Tyler Eifert, Giovani Bernard, Kevin Zeitler, A J Green, Andy Dalton, Jermain Gresham, Carlos Dunlap, Jordan Shipley, Rey Maualuga, Keith Rivers, Leon Hall, Jonathan Joseph, Andrew Whitworth, Domata Peko, David Pollack, Odell Thurman, Chris Henry, Keiwan Ratliff, Madieu Williams, Landon Johnson, Eric Steinbach, and Jeremi Johnson?

Here are some numbers from 2017, but since they cover an entire decade I'd guess they are still pretty accurate..... According to profootballreference over the last ten years there have been 227 different rookies who started at least 14 games. Since there are 32 teams that is an average of 7.1 per team. Over that period the Bengals have 7 different rookies who have started at least 14 games.

Marvin plays rookies as much as the average NFL head coach.

Most of those guys were played out of utter necessity.  They had no choice but play them.  But there have been other rookies who took too long to get their shot.  You know this is what people are talking about.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Bodine grades out at 61.7 in Buffalo or as the #21 Center.

He'd be our 2nd best offensive lineman!
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2018, 08:32 PM)McC Wrote: Most of those guys were played out of utter necessity.  They had no choice but play them.  But there have been other rookies who took too long to get their shot.  You know this is what people are talking about.

Maybe the guys who did not play early were not ready to play early.

Here is what happens.  Every year there are a handful of rookies who play right away and flourish.  People see them and assume EVERY team has one, but that just is not true.  I have posted the numbers.  They don't lie.  It is not as common for rookies to start right away as many people here claim.
Reply/Quote
Westerman didn't look too bad when he went in for Hopkins today.

I have to wonder looking to the future, if Boling is a candidate to be the LT in 2018. He seems at the very least competent, and if Westerman is ready to step in at LG, then that alleviates a need for a starting o-lineman in the offseason, at least for a year of two.

If they employed this personnel strategy, then they could draft a new RG in the second and pick from Glenn/Hart/Andre at RT. Anything to find answers up front at this point. There are too many holes on that line to fill them all in one offseason. Westerman proving capable at LG and Boling being dependable at LT would be found money for this team.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 12:23 AM)samhain Wrote: Westerman didn't look too bad when he went in for Hopkins today.  

I have to wonder looking to the future, if Boling is a candidate to be the LT in 2018.  He seems at the very least competent, and if Westerman is ready to step in at LG, then that alleviates a need for a starting o-lineman in the offseason, at least for a year of two.  

If they employed this personnel strategy, then they could draft a new RG in the second and pick from Glenn/Hart/Andre at RT.  Anything to find answers up front at this point.  There are too many holes on that line to fill them all in one offseason.  Westerman proving capable at LG and Boling being dependable at LT would be found money for this team.

I think it depends on what they do with their #1 pick this year. IF they are drafting a QB...then Boling to LT makes some sense. IF they aren't, then I think they draft a Tackle.

Their hesitation of moving Boling to LT is Tackles are paid way more money in free agency.
Reply/Quote