Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2 Average
"tHe BurrOw EffEcT"
If Brady didn’t unretire Gronk is probably a Bengal and that would be the Burrow effect. Nobody said guys coming off rookie contracts were going to take less money to come here. Additionally the Burrow effect is something that will grow over time. If you listened to vets when Burrow was drafted and after year one it’s clear he already had a pull. After going to the super bowl in year two that has grown. If he wins a super bowl in year three, guess what? It’ll grow a lot more.

The most noticeable aspect will always be the 30 year old stars looking to win a ring (or another ring) before they retire. Your Gronk’s, Von Millers if we had that need higher on our list, etc. He’ll attract younger players as well but that will only go so far. It’s the rich HOFer types looking to pad their resume or just to get to that ring that you will notice.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 08:58 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The point about the Burrow effect is true though. Guys wanna get paid first win close second.

Agree. Dudes will almost always pick the money if the money isn't close. That's just a fact. Winning is like a tie breaker if the money is close. I think Collins gave us the first visit due to his respect for Frank Pollack.

So maybe we need a fRAnK PoLLaCk eFfeKt thread. LOL

I think Burrow has some pull, but it's massively overstated. No one is going to come here JUST for Burrow. The money will have to be right, and maybe Burrow (and you know...having a great TEAM) is enough to be a tie breaker or get guys to visit us sooner than they normally would have.

That said...money will still need to be right. FO will also need to he smart about who we recruit.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
This seems premature as there are still multiple waves of vet cuts coming between now and the season. I think that is where you will see it matter.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 02:17 PM)Au165 Wrote: This seems premature as there are still multiple waves of vet cuts coming between now and the season. I think that is where you will see it matter.

Yes. Generally older players chase rings too. Younger guys want paid. In general.

And we're not really looking for skill players on offense.
Reply/Quote