Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Covington High School Issue - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Covington High School Issue (/Thread-Covington-High-School-Issue)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Covington High School Issue - fredtoast - 01-29-2019

(01-29-2019, 07:44 PM)Beaker Wrote: What was done to punish the NA for pounding his drum up in the boy's face after walking into the group and creating a confrontation?
What was done to punish the black isrealites for hurling racial insults?

All three of those groups....the boys, the NAs and the black islrealites....have people who were angry at what they did. None of those groups "got away" with anything. Therefore, no privilege involved.

The African Hebrews have been universally condemned for their actions.

Mr. Phillips did nothing wrong because there is nothing mocking, insulting, or offensive about playing a drum.  He did nothing to "create a confrontation".  He did not back anyone into a corner.  He was just walking around banging a drum.

The young men engaged in mocking offensive behavior and people here are discussing how much money they should get because they are poor little innocent victims who did nothing wrong.

RE: Covington High School Issue - Benton - 01-29-2019

(01-29-2019, 07:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What were the boys saying?

I'm not going down that road. I believe you're aware of the difference in a sporting event and an area occupied by protestors. 

RE: Covington High School Issue - GMDino - 01-29-2019

(01-29-2019, 07:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What were the boys saying?

We have no idea if the kid's motives were to be disrespectful or join in using a gesture they've seen used at sporting events. Context.

Easy for an adult to say "mocking" especially if they have an agenda. 

Easy for an adult to pick a side if they have an agenda too.

Seen it over and over again.  This event is no different.

RE: Covington High School Issue - bfine32 - 01-29-2019

(01-29-2019, 08:18 PM)GMDino Wrote: Easy for an adult to pick a side if they have an agenda too.

Seen it over and over again.  This event is no different.

Holding to the "mocking" approach is really all those that now look ignorant and vilified those boys early have left.

I hope they learned their lesson. 

RE: Covington High School Issue - bfine32 - 01-29-2019

(01-29-2019, 08:09 PM)Benton Wrote: I'm not going down that road. I believe you're aware of the difference in a sporting event and an area occupied by protestors. 

You'd also believe folks to be aware of the difference between youths painting their bodies black in support of a school blackout event and showing up in black face to mock a minority opponent.

As I said context and folks will paint (no pun intended) any picture they want to see.  

RE: Covington High School Issue - GMDino - 01-29-2019

(01-29-2019, 08:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Holding to the "mocking" approach is really all those that now look ignorant and vilified those boys early have left.

I hope they learned their lesson. 

actually no as the boys showed they were just acting like unsupervised teenagers throughout the day.  Allowing them to engage with the Hebrews simply ramped up their machoness and added to them "looking bad" whether that was their intent or not.  Honestly I feel like a lot of people around here (and the internet) want to pretend they didn't act the fool as kids when there was no adult to tell them any better, and that they never looked back and realized they looked/acted dumb but know better now.

I'm sure many who jumped to conclusions based on what was in the original video from the fake twitter account (where have we seen that before?) have learned to try and avoid jumping on the bandwagon no matter how "obvious" the "facts" seem to be.

Smart people do try to better themselves when they make mistakes or are just flat out proven wrong.

Many MANY people should try to learn that little selfhelp trick.

RE: Covington High School Issue - fredtoast - 01-29-2019

(01-29-2019, 07:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We have no idea if the kid's motives were to be disrespectful or join in using a gesture they've seen used at sporting events. Context.

So now it is okay for these boys to paint themselves black and yell at black people on the streets because they have seen it done at sporting events?

Are you actually going to argue that when these boys did the tomahawk chop in the face of a Native American they were doing it to cheer for their high school sports team?

RE: Covington High School Issue - jason - 01-29-2019

I just keep coming back to this thread because every time the black Hebrews (or whatever) are mentioned, the Israelites by Desmond Dekker gets stuck in my head.

RE: Covington High School Issue - BFritz21 - 01-29-2019

(01-29-2019, 07:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why was it impossible for Nick to walk down steps?

Because there was a tight group of kids and you see the Phillips approach Sandmann.  You can see Nick standing still at 47 seconds and Phillips approaches him.  Thanks for making me point that out.

(01-29-2019, 07:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sorry, but you must be talking about a different "original video" than me.  Perhaps you could post it because the one everyone else seems to be talking about shows that the students are surrounding Mr Phillips.  I am sorry for any misunderstanding, but if you have a version of the original video that shows that the young men were not surrounding him then please post it.  Here is the one I am talking about.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1845000/Video-Kentucky-high-schoolers-MAGA-hats-mock-Native-American-protestor.html

He walks into the middle of the group of students. The video shows him walking into the group and shows another NA behind him filming, meaning that the students didn't surround him and that they were only on his sides because he walked into the middle of the group.  

Again, thanks for making me look at it more in detail.

RE: Covington High School Issue - Beaker - 01-29-2019

(01-29-2019, 08:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The African Hebrews have been universally condemned for their actions.

Mr. Phillips did nothing wrong because there is nothing mocking, insulting, or offensive about playing a drum.  He did nothing to "create a confrontation".  He did not back anyone into a corner.  He was just walking around banging a drum.

The young men engaged in mocking offensive behavior and people here are discussing how much money they should get because they are poor little innocent victims who did nothing wrong.

The young men were condemned by a sizable percentage of people nationwide. And Mr. Phillips did initiate a confrontation by approaching the boys, and also lifting his drum to a few inches from the boys face and banging it there. 

Again, nobody got away with anything. And the whole thing is a BS example of people trying to use being offended as currency. I don't give a crap that the boy was smiling at Phillips. I dont care if the high schoolers were jumping around being idiots. I dont care that Phillips thought he had some kind of moral obligation to play peacemaker. And I could care less who feels offended by any of it. The whole incident was a media manufactured ploy to garner ratings by inciting misplaced righteous indignation.

The boys deserve zero money, and zero punishment. Phillips deserves zero sympathy and zero condemnation. The black isrealites deserve to be ignored for the BS they peddle. But nowhere in this whole "incident" did any party receive privilege. If you think it did, then thats in your head. But that doesnt make it reality.

RE: Covington High School Issue - michaelsean - 01-29-2019

(01-29-2019, 10:24 PM)Beaker Wrote: The young men were condemned by a sizable percentage of people nationwide. And Mr. Phillips did initiate a confrontation by approaching the boys, and also lifting his drum to a few inches from the boys face and banging it there. 

Again, nobody got away with anything. And the whole thing is a BS example of people trying to use being offended as currency. I don't give a crap that the boy was smiling at Phillips. I dont care if the high schoolers were jumping around being idiots. I dont care that Phillips thought he had some kind of moral obligation to play peacemaker. And I could care less who feels offended by any of it. The whole incident was a media manufactured ploy to garner ratings by inciting misplaced righteous indignation.

The boys deserve zero money, and zero punishment. Phillips deserves zero sympathy and zero condemnation. The black isrealites deserve to be ignored for the BS they peddle. But nowhere in this whole "incident" did any party receive privilege. If you think it did, then thats in your head. But that doesnt make it reality.

Yeah I don’t understand thinking there is nothing wrong with beating a drum a few inches from someone’s face. Keep your religion in your church. Know what I mean?

RE: Covington High School Issue - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 01-30-2019

(01-29-2019, 09:07 PM)jason Wrote: I just keep coming back to this thread because every time the black Hebrews (or whatever) are mentioned, the Israelites by Desmond Dekker gets stuck in my head.

Hah, I do the exact same thing.  Do yourselves a favor all, get into old reggae like Desmond Decker, Dandy Livingstone,  and Gregory Isaacs.

As for the song in question,

RE: Covington High School Issue - Nebuchadnezzar - 01-30-2019

Quick question,

Why did the Native American completely ignore the Black Hebrew Israelites and go directly to the teen white kids with red hats then start chanting without explaining what he was doing while another Native American insult the teen white kids with red hats?

RE: Covington High School Issue - fredtoast - 01-30-2019

(01-29-2019, 07:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We have no idea if the kid's motives were to be disrespectful or join in using a gesture they've seen used at sporting events. Context.

Tell it to this guy.

(01-24-2019, 09:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: WTS, anyone can clearly see that I said the kids in the MAGA hats doing the tomahawk cop were being disrespectful; I was actually the first one to bring in up.
Hilarious

RE: Covington High School Issue - Vas Deferens - 01-30-2019

(01-30-2019, 06:19 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Quick question,

Why did the Native American completely ignore the Black Hebrew Israelites and go directly to the teen white kids with red hats then start chanting without explaining what he was doing while another Native American insult the teen white kids with red hats?

To get to the other side?

RE: Covington High School Issue - GMDino - 01-30-2019

Maybe because he thought it would be easier to interact with the students than the people yelling at them.  That younger people might be more open to being taken out of the situation than the adults on the other side who clearly had an agenda.

Kinda like the chaperones should have thought when they allowed the students to interact with the Hebrews.

But I'm not him and I don't know for sure.  

I just know that Phillips has a criminal record when he was 19 so he must be the bad guy and nothing else the students did that day should reflect on their behavior at all.   Mellow

RE: Covington High School Issue - Benton - 01-30-2019

You come up on two groups with limited knowledge of either one. Both are taunting each other. Which is more threatening: the small group or one 10-12 times the size? 

RE: Covington High School Issue - bfine32 - 01-30-2019

(01-30-2019, 09:35 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Tell it to this guy.

Hilarious

if I hadn't have stated motives in the first post you quoted. You might have had a rare point. Outside of that...you're going to have to get someone to explain it to you. Because I can only assume that you don't know the importance motive plays.

RE: Covington High School Issue - bfine32 - 01-30-2019

(01-30-2019, 10:50 AM)Benton Wrote: You come up on two groups with limited knowledge of either one. Both are taunting each other. Which is more threatening: the small group or one 10-12 times the size? 

Guess what you didn't do.

RE: Covington High School Issue - fredtoast - 01-30-2019

(01-30-2019, 02:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: if I hadn't have stated motives in the first post you quoted. You might have had a rare point. Outside of that...you're going to have to get someone to explain it to you. Because I can only assume that you don't know the importance motive plays.

Motives obviously don't matter to you because you said they were being disrespectful.

Most people consider it disingenuous to condem people for saying the exact same thing you say yourself, BUT TO EACH HIS OWN. LMAO