Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Target removes gender based signage for kids - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Target removes gender based signage for kids (/Thread-Target-removes-gender-based-signage-for-kids)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - Johnny Cupcakes - 08-17-2015

(08-17-2015, 07:48 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: Maybe it wasn't hard for you to find because you've already been there. What about people who don't regularly shop target or even if they do don't normally shop for toys there? And what about in 6 months to a year when the move everything around like most stores do?

Target's own research showed that the majority of their customers preferred the way it was. The fact is they caved to a few people at the expense of the majority of their customers, just another reason for me to never step foot in target ever again.

If I cannot find the ninja turtles among the dozen aisles of toys that they have because the backing board colors are no longer blue, then Target is not the problem...I am.  I don't know what kind of simple human being could not figure out the mystery of what are "girls toys" and what are "boys toys" simply because of the color of the shelves.  

....and if you wanna stop shopping at Target because you're too confused to find the right toys for the person you're shopping for, then like I said before, you're probably better suited shopping at Walmart anyway.

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - Nately120 - 08-17-2015

(08-15-2015, 09:29 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: I'll reiterate my belief that playing with a certain toy has no bearing on a person's masculinity or femininity.  

It's true...my mother had me take violin lessons when I was 4 and I did not turn into a really smart Asian kid.

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 08-17-2015

(08-16-2015, 07:06 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: And it was like being with another guy.

I'm pretty sure you know why, buckaroo.

Pretty sure.

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - fredtoast - 08-17-2015

(08-17-2015, 07:48 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: Target's own research showed that the majority of their customers preferred the way it was. The fact is they caved to a few people at the expense of the majority of their customers, just another reason for me to never step foot in target ever again.

http://www.ajc.com/news/lifestyles/shopping/targets-gender-neutral-signage-a-plus-for-consumer/nnKWy/

retail experts say the move is mostly a plus, for consumers and Target. “The kids aren’t reading the signs, it is the parent and you are in some ways limiting yourself by saying a toy only belongs to one gender or another,” says Douglas Bowman, professor of marketing at Emory University’s Goizueta Business School. If they didn’t already, parents can now feel free to buy whatever toy they want and Target has more chances to make a sale.

Though opponents criticized Target for being too politically correct and said “androgynous” signage would make it harder for them to find what they want in Target stores, the reality is, Target isn’t the first store to move away from gender-based signage. It has been a trend among major retailers such as Toys “R” Us for the past several years. Didn’t notice? Probably because it’s pretty easy to find a doll or a truck regardless of what the signs say.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/target-gender-biased-signs_55c9ffe6e4b0923c12be0f96

A spokeswoman for Target told The Huffington Post that most shoppers seem to be on board with the new policy.

"We recognize by coming out and making these couple of changes that people are going to have a wide variety of opinions," said Molly Snyder, Target's group manager for public relations. "We expected and respect that. The response from the guests has been overwhelmingly positive."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/08/living/gender-based-signs-target-feat/

A small minority of commenters criticized Target in the online statement for giving into pressure to promote "politically correct fads" and "homogenize the genders."

Far more people applauded the decision.

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - Belsnickel - 08-17-2015

So. Much. Butthurt.

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - Johnny Cupcakes - 08-17-2015

The funny thing is....if you wouldn't have heard about it, you likely would have never noticed. It would have been a non-issue and people would have had no tougher time finding toys, movies, or bedding.

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - jakefromstatefarm - 08-17-2015

(08-17-2015, 08:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's true...my mother had me take violin lessons when I was 4 and I did not turn into a really smart Asian kid.

I laughed. 

Well played! Rock On

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - SteelCitySouth - 08-18-2015

(08-16-2015, 07:06 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote:
StLucieBengal Wrote:Why were women in years past more feminine than todays?

Super opinion with no quantifiable facts to back it up.

Quote:The key is keeping their feminine nature.

Okay, but this is just a solution to a problem you invented above.

Quote:I could also be wrong but my ex wife wasnt feminine at all.   And it was like being with another guy.   Current wife, very feminine, and at the same time very accomplished in her career.

Anecdotal evidence provided about a person that may or may not exist and may or may not exist in the way in which you present her.

Quote:That's one of the very few things my wife does not like about the USA.   The way women act like men.

More of the same.

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - Ryuko - 08-18-2015

(08-17-2015, 08:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's true...my mother had me take violin lessons when I was 4 and I did not turn into a really smart Asian kid.

[Image: waisis.gif]

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - bfine32 - 08-18-2015

[Image: 11200787_501029130072858_470496655644191...e=563734AD]

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - StLucieBengal - 08-20-2015

(08-17-2015, 08:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well, I have to admit you are being consistent in a sense.  Keeping boys from playing with dolls and girls from being on the wrestling team is certainly the type of behavior I would expect from someone who thinks gender identity is a choice.  

it's most certainly a learned behavior.

There might be some more susceptible like there are alcoholics or fat people are more inclined to their behvaior more so than others. Sexual "identity/preference" is in this same ballpark.

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - StLucieBengal - 08-20-2015

(08-17-2015, 08:33 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: If I cannot find the ninja turtles among the dozen aisles of toys that they have because the backing board colors are no longer blue, then Target is not the problem...I am.  I don't know what kind of simple human being could not figure out the mystery of what are "girls toys" and what are "boys toys" simply because of the color of the shelves.  

....and if you wanna stop shopping at Target because you're too confused to find the right toys for the person you're shopping for, then like I said before, you're probably better suited shopping at Walmart anyway.

What about the adults who don't have kids who have to buy a toy for a 6 year old boy. That's who really suffers. We know what toy is what but they don't ....

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - SteelCitySouth - 08-20-2015

(08-20-2015, 02:13 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: What about the adults who don't have kids who have to buy a toy for a 6 year old boy.   That's who really suffers.   We know what toy is what but they don't ....

I'm pretty sure Target is not changing how the manufacturers package their product.  They are changing the way they label isles.  

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - djs7685 - 08-20-2015

(08-20-2015, 02:12 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: it's most certainly a learned behavior.

There might be some more susceptible like there are alcoholics or fat people are more inclined to their behvaior more so than others. Sexual "identity/preference" is in this same ballpark.

Sexual preference is in the same ballpark as being overweight?

What? Honestly, WHAT? Not sure if trolling or just stupid....

(08-20-2015, 02:13 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: What about the adults who don't have kids who have to buy a toy for a 6 year old boy. That's who really suffers. We know what toy is what but they don't ....

Why are you assuming people without kids are mentally challenged? They aren't going to suffer. If you don't know what to buy a 6 year old boy, that's a personal problem and not a Target problem.

I highly doubt anyone with an IQ over 60 is going to be unsure if they should buy their nephew a Barbie doll or not.

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - Johnny Cupcakes - 08-20-2015

(08-20-2015, 02:12 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: it's most certainly a learned behavior.

There might be some more susceptible like there are alcoholics or fat people are more inclined to their behvaior more so than others.   Sexual "identity/preference" is in this same ballpark.

Do you have any evidence for being able to say that it is "most certainly a learned behavior"?  Since you're so convinced, you should be able to show something more than anecdotal evidence, I'm sure.

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - Johnny Cupcakes - 08-20-2015

(08-20-2015, 02:13 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: What about the adults who don't have kids who have to buy a toy for a 6 year old boy.   That's who really suffers.   We know what toy is what but they don't ....

If an adult human being goes in to Target, looks at the 12 toy aisles, and cannot figure out what to buy for a 6 year old boy, then they have an intelligence issue.  It is not difficult to peruse through these aisles and see what are more traditional "boys toys" and what are not.  If they don't know the difference between a Ninja Turtle and a Barbie, they probably shouldn't be allowed in the store on their own to begin with.  If their "suffering" is really caused by switching the backing board colors, then I'll say this for the tenth time now.....THEY are the ones with the issue.

If you cannot figure out if this aisle has traditionally male or female toys in it, whether you have kids or not, you are an imbecile.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXeL5_XJCgjiFDZkklVJx...f13GG3Pfsw]

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - SteelCitySouth - 08-20-2015

There might be some more susceptible like there are alcoholics or fat people are more inclined to their behvaior more so than others.   Sexual "identity/preference" is in this same ballpark.

You just sling opinion around as if it were fact, like a fat kid eats cake.

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - Benton - 08-20-2015

So you were susceptible to being a heterosexual?

You could be susceptible to getting the flu if you have a weak immune system or if you come into contact with bodily fluids. You aren't susceptible to catching homosexuality.

LOL

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 08-20-2015

(08-20-2015, 12:16 PM)Benton Wrote: So you were susceptible to being a heterosexual?

You could be susceptible to getting the flu if you have a weak immune system or if you come into contact with bodily fluids. You aren't susceptible to catching homosexuality.

LOL

I think he means with enough practice he could not only learn it, but he could learn to love it!

Especially if he were in prison with no one else to turn to for emotional support except the strong masculine embrace of his cell mate to rock him through the night.

If I remember correctly, he wrote being with his ex-wife was almost like being with another man.

Define "almost".  Is that like just the tip almost?

Wink

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - RICHMONDBENGAL_07 - 08-20-2015

If you are someone that doesn't have kids and can't figure out what toys are "girl" toys and which are "boy" toys, then you should never have kids in the first place. Period.