Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Target removes gender based signage for kids
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/08/09/target-remove-gender-based-labeling/31375863/

Well this means I can't shop target without my wife now. I have a hard enough time sorting out the boys and girls sections with the signs because they alway meet up against each other.

I guess I can just buy yellow or pink dresses if I get stuck in there by myself.
https://corporate.target.com/article/2015/08/gender-based-signs-corporate

Quote:Over the past year, guests have raised important questions about a handful of signs in our stores that offer product suggestions based on gender. In some cases, like apparel, where there are fit and sizing differences, it makes sense.

The USAToday piece doesn't cite clothes, and the original PR says the opposite. So you shouldn't have too many problems telling the pink dresses for girls from blue dresses for boys.

And as far as toys, meh. Kids play with whatever suits them that day.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-10-2015, 05:13 PM)Benton Wrote: https://corporate.target.com/article/2015/08/gender-based-signs-corporate

The USAToday piece doesn't cite clothes, and the original  PR says the opposite. So you shouldn't have too many problems telling the pink dresses for girls from blue dresses for boys.

And as far as toys, meh. Kids play with whatever suits them that day.

Yeah there was another article stating this was only the beginning.
(08-10-2015, 05:20 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yeah there was another article stating this was only the beginning.

from Breitbart?

Seriously, though, this isn't that big of a deal. It really doesn't make sense to suggest one set of building toys is for boys and one is for girls. Everyone likes legos and k'nex. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Did you all know the pink for girls and blue for boys is a relatively new thing? It wasn't until the Boomers generation that became a thing, and it became less of a thing for Gen X, then had a resurgence with Millennials. Just some random trivia on this topic.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Seems like Lucie doesn't want his kiddo's to have freedom.
(08-10-2015, 05:33 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: from Breitbart?

Seriously, though, this isn't that big of a deal. It really doesn't make sense to suggest one set of building toys is for boys and one is for girls. Everyone likes legos and k'nex. 

From Time magazine
(08-10-2015, 06:13 PM)Westwood Bengal Wrote: Seems like Lucie doesn't want his kiddo's to have freedom.

My kids play with what they play with, they like dolls, animals, swimming, and dancing. And to do exactly what their mother does
(08-10-2015, 06:17 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: My kids play with what they play with, they like dolls, animals, swimming, and dancing.   And to do exactly what their mother does

Then why would you care about boys and girls signs? You don't seem like the type of person who would say one of your girls can't play with a football, so why care?
(08-10-2015, 05:50 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Did you all know the pink for girls and blue for boys is a relatively new thing? It wasn't until the Boomers generation that became a thing, and it became less of a thing for Gen X, then had a resurgence with Millennials. Just some random trivia on this topic.

Interesting.

I just want to make sure I am buying girl clothes for my girls. I can tell which toys go where.
(08-10-2015, 06:19 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Interesting.  

I just want to make sure I am buying girl clothes for my girls.  I can tell which toys go where.

I promise you that if you bought a boys pair of jeans for your girls, it won't change the trajectory of their lives. (and yes that is a weird way to put it, but I am brushing up against one of the lines I won't cross, considering your family is in play here.)
(08-10-2015, 06:18 PM)Westwood Bengal Wrote: Then why would you care about boys and girls signs? You don't seem like the type of person who would say one of your girls can't play with a football, so why care?

I don't tell them they can't play with certain toys. But they are girls and they won't be trying to play football or wrestle. That I can promise.

I don't mind if they want to know the proper way to throw a football. My girls are kinda girly and the most butch they get is Rythmic gymnastics and playing the violin.
(08-10-2015, 06:23 PM)Westwood Bengal Wrote: I promise you that if you bought a boys pair of jeans for your girls, it won't change the trajectory of their lives. (and yes that is a weird way to put it, but I am brushing up against one of the lines I won't cross, considering your family is in play here.)

Thank you for respecting that.

I know it won't but I have a hard enough time shopping for them as it is ... Target just makes it harder on me lol.

My wife is the style expert of the family.
Everyone's making a big deal of this, when all it really amounts to is the backing color on the aisle ways. Girls toys are hung on pink shelves....boys are hung on blue shelves. Is it really that big of a deal if all of the shelves are red?
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(08-10-2015, 06:51 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Everyone's making a big deal of this, when all it really amounts to is the backing color on the aisle ways. Girls toys are hung on pink shelves....boys are hung on blue shelves.  Is it really that big of a deal if all of the shelves are red?

First they take away gender color coding, then they're going to say we can't use gender specific pronouns in SCHOOL!  THE SKY IS FALLING!!! 
You guys laugh but it gets confusing between girl stuff and boy stuff. Would be easier if I had a son, but I don't lol.

That's why my fall back is electronics but that gets expensive.
(08-10-2015, 07:15 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You guys laugh but it gets confusing between girl stuff and boy stuff.  Would be easier if I had a son, but I don't lol.

It's really not that confusing.  If you want to buy your child traditionally girls toys, buy it a Barbie.  If you want to buy your child traditionally boys toys, but it some Tonka trucks.  If there's something that confuses you, then it's probably a gender neutral toy anyway.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Color coding for clothes and toys is absurd. Let's save that mindless type of labeling for political parties!
Clothes are cut differnt. Buttons are opposite.

I just hope this doesn't catch on. I don't need the hassle.

Keep the girls section and keep the boys section.
(08-10-2015, 07:15 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You guys laugh but it gets confusing between girl stuff and boy stuff.  Would be easier if I had a son, but I don't lol.

I think the entire point is that it should not be confusing and should not matter. There are no "girls clothes" or "boys toys." Children of each gender can wear what they want or play with what they want. If a guy wants to wear pink, that is fine. If a girl wants to play with a GI Joe, that is fine. Why should anybody be against this? Purchase what you want for your child, not whatever is in the pink or blue section. 
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]