Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Will we see players kneel? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Will we see players kneel? (/Thread-Will-we-see-players-kneel)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Will we see players kneel? - WeezyBengal - 09-25-2017

(09-25-2017, 03:18 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Who cares if they kneel?  Its their right to protest.  My god, this is the biggest non story story I've ever seen.  You can try to blame Obama for the Kap thing, but yesterday was all in protest to the little man in the WH today. Thanks to him, we now have politics in football.  But honestly, who cares if they kneel, don't kneel, stay in the locker room, stand in the tunnel, put a hand over their heart, bang their wife, give their boyfriend a hand job, goes to take a leak, and stand in line to grab a box of popcorn and a soda. who gives a flyin' ****?!?!?! 

lol I gotta kind of agree with this... 

RE: Will we see players kneel? - jason - 09-25-2017

Do you guys suppose that it's this way in other countries too? Like in Albania or Chile or wherever... Does everything that goes on with their flag or national anthem come back around to the military or veterans? Do the common folk of other nations worship their flag like we seem to do? Am I the only one who doesn't immediately associate the American flag with veterans or the military in general.

RE: Will we see players kneel? - Shake n Blake - 09-25-2017

(09-25-2017, 03:35 PM)Benton Wrote: [Image: donald-trump-father-kkk.jpg?fit=640%2C361]

His dad was a very smart man who built a business from very little. He also had some luck in developing at a time when New York was growing.

He turned it over to Trump who used what his dad built to leverage more property, which was largely successful. But then he got into other ventures, which  failed pretty miserably, from Trump Airlines to Trump Vodka to Trump Meats to foreign made Trump Clothes.

Donald was more successful than his father, IMO. Holding NY's growth against him seems silly to me, but whatev. A more positive way to spin that would be he had good timing with his investments.

All successful business men have a list of failures, so I'm not sure what that proves. I know you're focusing on Luvnit saying "Trump has been successful at everything he touches", but it seems you're also saying that having some failures = Trump was a bad businessman and any success was pure luck. I think that's a stretch. 

RE: Will we see players kneel? - Shake n Blake - 09-25-2017

(09-25-2017, 03:46 PM)jason Wrote: Do you guys suppose that it's this way in other countries too? Like in Albania or Chile or wherever... Does everything that goes on with their flag or national anthem come back around to the military or veterans? Do the common folk of other nations worship their flag like we seem to do? Am I the only one who doesn't immediately associate the American flag with veterans or the military in general.

If a flag symbolizes nothing, why even have one?

Why have people been up in arms over the confederate flag? 

(09-25-2017, 03:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If a flag symbolizes nothing, why even have one?

Why have people been up in arms over the confederate flag? 

Obviously the flag symbolizes something. But is that something the military? The Confederate battle flag symbolizes Confederate soldiers and veterans. The stars and bars was the flag of the CSA though. But that's kinda my point... The Confederate battle flag means many things to different people. For some it is symbolic of hate, to others it symbolizes their history, and for others it's just a big middle finger to the Yankees.

I'll put it a different way. Our national anthem was obviously a poem written during a battle 200 years ago. O Canada seems to just be a song about how great and beautiful Canada is... Sorta like God Bless America. Do Canadians tie their anthem and flag as closely to the RCMP or their military as we seem to do?

RE: Will we see players kneel? - Benton - 09-25-2017

(09-25-2017, 03:46 PM)jason Wrote: Do you guys suppose that it's this way in other countries too? Like in Albania or Chile or wherever... Does everything that goes on with their flag or national anthem come back around to the military or veterans? Do the common folk of other nations worship their flag like we seem to do? Am I the only one who doesn't immediately associate the American flag with veterans or the military in general.

For the better part of a century we've been at war. World wars, small conflicts. Everything in between. It's taken a lot of people to fight those wars, and it would be difficult to find anyone outside of a first generation American who doesn't have a close relative who served. 

(09-25-2017, 03:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Donald was more successful than his father, IMO. Holding NY's growth against him seems silly to me, but whatev. A more positive way to spin that would be he had good timing with his investments.

All successful business men have a list of failures, so I'm not sure what that proves. I know you're focusing on Luvnit saying "Trump has been successful at everything he touches", but it seems you're also saying that having some failures = Trump was a bad businessman and any success was pure luck. I think that's a stretch. 

To the bold, I didn't mean that as a slight to Fred. I meant Fred got a benefit from being in a market with lots of growth. I'm not holding that against Fred, I think that's part of what made him smart. Smart business people look at market potential and plan accordingly. Fred did and turned very little money into a company worth hundreds of millions. There were allegations of war profiteering, but the guy was just seeing a demand and filling it.

To the rest, I guess it's a difference of opinion. If I turn $20 into $30-$200, that's great, but I don't applaud that as much as the guy who turns $1 into $30. More so when the guy with $20 made the bulk of his money without a great deal of dishonesty. 

At the end of the day, I think I'll just leave it there. There's not too much point in having conversations about Trump any more. It's too polarizing and fruitless. Either you love him or you hate him. And if you're on one side, then it seems like anyone who disagrees is automatically on the other. It got to be the same way with Obama: criticize something and you're an ignorant hateful bastard; praise something and you're a devoted sheep. 

RE: Will we see players kneel? - bfine32 - 09-25-2017

The point when you just kind of ignore the rest of what folks are saying:

"Trump has not been successful".

You can hate everything about him; however you cannot deny he's been successful and expect a rational person to agree with you.

RE: Will we see players kneel? - WeezyBengal - 09-25-2017

(09-25-2017, 04:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The point when you just kind of ignore the rest of what folks are saying:

You can hate everything about him; however you cannot deny he's been successful and expect a rational person to agree with you.

Success is a relative term. Success to you might mean something completely different than it does to me.

Is Trump rich? Yes, he's rich. Good for him. 

RE: Will we see players kneel? - CKwi88 - 09-25-2017

Of course there are all sorts of people in all countries, but I would venture to say that such obsessive idolatry towards our flag and nigh zealous nationalism are very inherently American.

(09-25-2017, 04:42 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Success is a relative term. Success to you might mean something completely different than it does to me.

Is Trump rich? Yes, he's rich. Good for him. 

Don't forget that he is the leader of the most powerful Nation in the world.

What part of successful does he not meet?

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/successful

I've given a lot to this country and have had friends and coworkers make the ultimate sacrifice. There was a reason we wore the flag on our sleeves while we sacrificed our lives for this country. It is because we cannot see the faces of the individuals we are fighting to protect and to ensure they can go about their daily business while we chew dirt.

Folks can call the flag "Idol Worship" or other trivial things, but when you've been out on patrol in hostile country for about a week straight, you love coming around the bend and seeing that Red, White, and Blue waiving.

Just because you do "mean" to disrespect the flag does not mean that you are not doing it. Folks so more things out of ignorance that they do awareness.

RE: Will we see players kneel? - GMDino - 09-25-2017

(09-25-2017, 05:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I've given a lot to this country and have had friends and coworkers make the ultimate sacrifice. There was a reason we wore the flag on our sleeves while we sacrificed our lives for this country. It is because we cannot see the faces of the individuals we are fighting to protect and to ensure they can go about their daily business while we chew dirt.

Folks can call the flag "Idol Worship" or other trivial things, but when you've been out on patrol in hostile country for about a week straight, you love coming around the bend and seeing that Red, White, and Blue waiving.

Just because you do "mean" to disrespect the flag does not mean that you are not doing it. Folks so more things out of ignorance that they do awareness.

Thank you for your service.

And thanks for fighting for the right to complain when things aren't quite up to snuff in someone's opinion.

The worst part is now my wife wants a Steeler jersey:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/only-steeler-who-took-field-for-national-anthem-leads-nfl-in-jersey-sales/ar-AAssv9b?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

Quote:Steelers offensive lineman Alejandro Villanueva, a former Army Ranger who served three tours in Afghanistan, has seen a massive spike in his jersey sales over the past 24 hours. As Chuck Schilken of the Los Angeles Times discovered, Villanueva’s No. 78 jersey is the first one that appears in the online NFL Shop under the list of top sellers. The same is true for name and number T-shirts.

(09-25-2017, 05:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The worst part is now my wife wants a Steeler jersey:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/only-steeler-who-took-field-for-national-anthem-leads-nfl-in-jersey-sales/ar-AAssv9b?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

**** him, his jersey, whatever number he wears, and the Steelers.

Also **** the politicization of sports.

RE: Will we see players kneel? - BmorePat87 - 09-25-2017

(09-25-2017, 12:14 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: President Trump is not only a leader, he is the leader of the free world. You may not like him, may not agree with him but he is a great leader or he would not have become the POTUS and been successful his entire life at anything he touched.

Like it or not, he is your leader!

By definition of his office, he's a leader, but I would say he's a pretty ineffective leader. 

He also has a ton of business failures and multiple bankruptcies that he only recovered from because of the fortune his family has and NBC giving him a TV show. 

But let's be honest about his success. He left college with a VP role in his dad's real estate empire and his dad secured him a business loan for nearly $70m dollars (about half a billion adjusted for inflation). So given his dad's money, connections, and real estate company, he has managed to increase his net worth by about 700% over nearly 50 years, or, adjusted for inflation, he has made 7 dollars on every dollar he owned after 50 years. 

That's almost as impressive as Trump Steaks were delicious. Or as Trump: The Game was fun. Or as Trump Vodka was smooth. Or As GoTrump.com was a money making venture. Or as Trump Mortgage (established in 2006 after Trump claimed the housing market would be strong for years to come) was well timed. Or as Trump Magazine was thought-provoking. Or as Trump University was legitimate. 

RE: Will we see players kneel? - Nately120 - 09-25-2017

(09-25-2017, 02:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Successful Family and Kids
Successful Business
Voted in as POTUS

What have you accomplished again to insinuate someone else is not successful? Why do those who accomplish little try and belittle those who accomplish a lot? I guess jealousy.

Lots of super successful nfl owners and celebrities who win a lot and have lots of money say Trump is wrong though. 

Colin Kaepernick has accomplished more and made more money than most in this country, too.  Are people jealous of his success?  I don't know who to believe. 

RE: Will we see players kneel? - CKwi88 - 09-25-2017

I guess what I don't get is why it is even considered disrespectful to kneel for the anthem/flag. Does god or religion have a monopoly on kneeling as a sign of solemnity? Would have sworn that Kaepernick and Eric Reid chose kneeling because it would be more respectful than sitting on the bench.

While I can't say I agree with every step since Colin Kaepernick first sat out the national anthem, it's a shame that our inept president and the media have helped derail the original purpose of the demonstrations to fight institutionalized racism in our country.

RE: Will we see players kneel? - StLucieBengal - 09-25-2017

I love the cowboys approach .

(09-25-2017, 04:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The point when you just kind of ignore the rest of what folks are saying:

Trump is successful. Lots of people who ridicule Trump are more successful than those who support him. Good ol success. 

(09-25-2017, 05:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The worst part is now my wife wants a Steeler jersey:

Between the Steelers and Cowboys going the patriotic route and the Bengals facing another pointless rebuild, the time to get a new team could be ripe.