Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
PnR Decorum and suspensions - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: PnR Decorum and suspensions (/Thread-PnR-Decorum-and-suspensions)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - StLucieBengal - 08-22-2017

(08-22-2017, 03:47 PM)Au165 Wrote: Personally I have begun avoiding this forum. If I wanted to read the front page of Breitbart and Dailywire I'd just go there.

Then make a thread on something you wish to discuss. No one is forcing you or anyone to participate in any thread you do not wish to comment.

(08-22-2017, 03:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: A lot of the posts lately have been put into the older threads like "Things Trump says..." or any of the nazi ones.

I've made a concerted effort to share links in the appropriate thread when I can.  If I start a new thread I understand it can me moved too if I missed where there is already a similar subject.

Post views and post counts are what tell me what the groups wishes to discuss.

Sometimes I post some interesting threads and they get nothing..... so they fall. Most times they blow up because they invoke thought and debate.

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Belsnickel - 08-22-2017

(08-22-2017, 03:38 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I am not the only one allowed to create content for this board.

My threads would fall if anyone else posted topics for everyone to discuss.

As I see it the real question is where the heck is everyone else?

The issue really is that the stuff that gets posted from the more extreme sources is usually what garners the most attention. Pieces that are just the information, a real investigative piece of journalism (and not some hack job from what's his face), or a study done by a reputable organization results in few responses, if any, and they usually aren't very in depth.

Because of this, it becomes discouraging to post those sorts of things. I think it would be fun to post journal articles on topics. I read several publications on political science, public administration, and public policy. I have often thought that it could be fun to try to attach some of the articles to a thread on a topic and see what kind of conversation it could spur. But the attention is focused more towards the editorialized pieces on here, so I haven't bothered to make the attempt. Quite frankly, a lot of people on here could probably do with some introductory courses on the topics.

(08-22-2017, 04:00 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The issue really is that the stuff that gets posted from the more extreme sources is usually what garners the most attention. Pieces that are just the information, a real investigative piece of journalism (and not some hack job from what's his face), or a study done by a reputable organization results in few responses, if any, and they usually aren't very in depth.

Because of this, it becomes discouraging to post those sorts of things. I think it would be fun to post journal articles on topics. I read several publications on political science, public administration, and public policy. I have often thought that it could be fun to try to attach some of the articles to a thread on a topic and see what kind of conversation it could spur. But the attention is focused more towards the editorialized pieces on here, so I haven't bothered to make the attempt. Quite frankly, a lot of people on here could probably do with some introductory courses on the topics.

Make a thread. Then we will see what the group chooses. I would happily participate

I find loads of excellent European based stories that I have posted and they get no posts, with the exception of you, it's hard to get an informed discussion going on about what's going on in Europe.

I still post them in hopes the tide will turn but the group doesn't want them so they fall to the second page quick enough.

(08-22-2017, 04:05 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Make a thread. Then we will see what the group chooses. I would happily participate

I find loads of excellent European based stories that I have posted and they get no posts, with the exception of you, it's hard to get an informed discussion going on about what's going on in Europe.

I still post them in hopes the tide will turn but the group doesn't want them so they fall to the second page quick enough.

I've done it quite a few times, and they get maybe two responses before dying out. This is why I stopped posting them, or at least stopped posting them with any frequency. Every once in a while I find something interesting and post it in hopes it will generate discussion, but it doesn't and so I stop posting threads for a while.

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Au165 - 08-22-2017

(08-22-2017, 03:57 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Then make a thread on something you wish to discuss.    No one is forcing you or anyone to participate in any thread you do not wish to comment.

You asked where everyone was, I explained where I was.

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - GMDino - 08-22-2017

(08-22-2017, 04:10 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I've done it quite a few times, and they get maybe two responses before dying out. This is why I stopped posting them, or at least stopped posting them with any frequency. Every once in a while I find something interesting and post it in hopes it will generate discussion, but it doesn't and so I stop posting threads for a while.

Often those long, well documented discussions are either above my pay grade or I agree and have little add or I disagree but don't have the time to dig for information all day....lol.

But I do often enjoy reading them.  I respect what you bring to the board from a policy and background standpoint.

(08-22-2017, 04:10 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I've done it quite a few times, and they get maybe two responses before dying out. This is why I stopped posting them, or at least stopped posting them with any frequency. Every once in a while I find something interesting and post it in hopes it will generate discussion, but it doesn't and so I stop posting threads for a while.

I know exactly how you feel. I am all for a variety of topics to discuss. i just post topics and threads because I enjoy the back and forth, especially when it's legitimate. And. Not my fan boys at it

(08-22-2017, 04:12 PM)GMDino Wrote: Often those long, well documented discussions are either above my pay grade or I agree and have little add or I disagree but don't have the time to dig for information all day....lol.

But I do often enjoy reading them.  I respect what you bring to the board from a policy and background standpoint.

There are some things I would really like to post, but because they are often restricted access I can't figure out how to make it happen. I've read some fantastic studies that I think several people here would find interesting, but because the article is behind a paywall I can't link to it.

Edit: I ought to try adding the pdf as an attachment...

Edit again: They are all too large.  Sad

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - treee - 08-22-2017

Quote:Leftists attack upstanding and virtuous board members, despite their threads totally not being inflammatory.  Read this article to figure how to protect your family from these vicious left wingers and their hurtful sarcastic remarks.

LOL Whatever

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - PhilHos - 08-22-2017

Oops. Someone's username turned purple. Mellow

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Vas Deferens - 08-22-2017

Whoopsie daisy!

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - TheLeonardLeap - 08-22-2017

(08-22-2017, 11:39 AM)Au165 Wrote: Did I miss something? I thought the rule around here going forward was we were going to keep article sources closer to center, not far right or left? There have been a lot of misleading "far out" stories being posted.

[Image: df5c504d10c538e4c5b88e308206a324ed6c0fcf...f74641.jpg]

...until you go purple. Ninja

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - CageTheBengal - 08-22-2017

Just curious how many times can you go purple before you get downgraded to pink?

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - BmorePat87 - 08-22-2017

I held my tongue on this, but I am glad someone said it. We don't need this sub forum to spam/dumping ground for every deadline from the Daily Wire. Not because I disagree with their general political view or because their credibility is suspect, but because we don't need every single headline here.

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Benton - 08-22-2017

(08-22-2017, 06:08 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Just curious how many times can you go purple before you get downgraded to pink?

Fair question! And there's not an answer on it.

Getting purpled is a way for Moderators to ask a poster to pump the brakes without throwing them through the message board windshield. Despite the countless hours we spend sifting through posts, wading into arguments we didn't start and merging threads on nearly identical topics (honestly, we lost track of how many freaking Andy Dalton v AJM threads were created hourly in the early days), we do think fondly of 90% of the posters. We're message board friends, which is somewhere between being tailgating friends (random strangers you trust enough to eat their food and give them your beer) and Facebook friends (people you know, and who only want you to give them beer or pray for things that 'only He knows about' but they felt the need to vaguely mention it on social media). As such, we want everyone to take part, participate and keep their dirty shoes off the carpet.

Hopefully, getting purpled is a chance for a poster to consider their impact on the board, and how they want that to continue.

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - SunsetBengal - 08-22-2017

(08-22-2017, 06:11 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I held my tongue on this, but I am glad someone said it. We don't need this sub forum to spam/dumping ground for every deadline from the Daily Wire. Not because I disagree with their general political view or because their credibility is suspect, but because we don't need every single headline here.

You know, the best way to combat that?  Don't respond.

Yep, just don't type any response.  After a few page refreshings, it will have passed on to page 2...

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Vas Deferens - 08-22-2017

(08-22-2017, 06:32 PM)Benton Wrote: we do think fondly of 90% of the posters.

To save time, just go ahead and name the 10%. Thanks.

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - GMDino - 08-22-2017

(08-22-2017, 06:58 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: To save time, just go ahead and name the 10%.  Thanks.

I'd rather they didn't.

For the sake of, uh, others....

Mellow

(08-22-2017, 06:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You know, the best way to combat that?  Don't respond.

Yep, just don't type any response.  After a few page refreshings, it will have passed on to page 2...

I try that, sometimes. It can be difficult.