Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Covington High School Issue - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Covington High School Issue (/Thread-Covington-High-School-Issue)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Nathan Phillips lied about serving in Vietnam - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 01-23-2019

(01-23-2019, 12:49 AM)GMDino Wrote: Learn respect for those who served.

Thanks.

You could do with some of that yourself, but I have no respect for those who lied about their service.

(01-23-2019, 12:51 AM)GMDino Wrote: Of course it is.

I've told people I'm a child of the 60's.  I was born in 1969.

You were a child in the 60's, not a lie.

Quote:He officially says he served in the Marines at the time of Vietnam...you don't like that he was too young to go?  You never seem to have a problem with the draft dodgers in your party who could have gone.

Not a member of a political party first off.  He didn't say he served during the Vietnam war he said, "And I'm a Vietnam veteran" .  

Quote:Learn respect.

Learn to read.   Smirk

RE: Nathan Phillips lied about serving in Vietnam - bfine32 - 01-23-2019

(01-23-2019, 12:51 AM)GMDino Wrote: Of course it is.

I've told people I'm a child of the 60's.  I was born in 1969.

He officially says he served in the Marines at the time of Vietnam...you don't like that he was too young to go?  You never seem to have a problem with the draft dodgers in your party who could have gone.

Learn respect.

There's a difference between saying you're a Vietnam Veteran and serving in the Military during the Vietnam era and it's not semantics.

I read where HuffPo retracted he said he was a Vietnam Veteran and they made the mistake, but SSF's link seems to show he stated he was a Vietnam veteran. 

I served during the Iraq war; although I never was deployed there. If I say I'm an Iraq War veteran is that just semantics? 

I have nothing but respect for those that serve. 

RE: Nathan Phillips lied about serving in Vietnam - GMDino - 01-23-2019

(01-23-2019, 12:55 AM)bfine32 Wrote: There's a difference between saying you're a Vietnam Veteran and serving in the Military during the Vietnam era and it's not semantics.

I read where HuffPo retracted he said he was a Vietnam Veteran and they made the mistake, but SSF's link seems to show he stated he was a Vietnam veteran. 

I served during the Iraq war; although I never was deployed there. If I say I'm an Iraq War veteran is that just semantics? 

I have nothing but respect for those that serve. 

Personally I would say it is the same.  You served.  

Leave the outrage for those who didn't but claim they "would have" or that even without serving they know more about the military than anyone.

RE: Covington High School Issue - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 01-23-2019

(01-23-2019, 12:51 AM)bfine32 Wrote: As I asked Dino, let's try to refrain from personal attacks. This issue has many facets and I'd prefer a discuss about it; regardless how biased it may be.

You guys want to get personal, do so it your thread. 

Also, thanks to your dad for his service. Without knowing him; he's a hero of mine.

Quite sincerely the best human being I've ever met.  Served 26 years, retired as an O-6 and would have been promoted to BG but didn't want to move his family again for the umpteenth time so he retired.  Three bronze stars, one with V, and one silver star.  First tour+ in 1st Cavalry Division, 5th Cavalry regiment as a platoon Lieutenant, then company commander. Second tour in EOD.  It chaps my ass when people lie about serving in any war, but especially Vietnam, considering how much shit those guys got from the early seventies to early nineties.  I suppose you are right, his response is predictable and rather par for the course.  Best to let it speak for itself.

RE: Nathan Phillips lied about serving in Vietnam - GMDino - 01-23-2019

As an aside because this will go nowhere:

I wonder how I keep seeing new posts from you two but you don't show as in the forum or reading the thread?   Hmm

By GM's definition George W. Bush is a Vietnam veteran. He sat on his ass in the States while men died in the jungle. Bush is a veteran, but he damn sure isn't a Vietnam veteran. Bfine's point is dead on, if you claim to be a veteran of a war that means you served in theater, not that you were in the service at the time of the war. Hell, if you were a REMF but were actually in country you can claim war veteran status. If you never put a toe in the theater's soil but claim to have served in that war you're a lying piece of garbage. It's OK, though, you have an agenda you're pushing, I'll let the facts as presented speak to others who read these threads and they'll decide for themselves.

(01-23-2019, 01:01 AM)GMDino Wrote: As an aside because this will go nowhere:

I wonder how I keep seeing new posts from you two but you don't show as in the forum or reading the thread?   Hmm

Because you're on dial up?  Cool

RE: Covington High School Issue - Benton - 01-23-2019

To this thread (and in regards to closing the other thread): keep off each other.

This is a very partisan issue. There are a variety of aspects that make it a constant evolution, and it sparked some good conversation in the previous thread about the variety of aspects involved (media bias/haste, racism, politicization, etc). Unfortunately, there was -- looking across several of the pages -- too much jabbing at each other.

So, feel free to discuss the subject. Refrain from trying to push each other to a breaking point or the thread will be closed, too.

RE: Covington High School Issue - BmorePat87 - 01-23-2019

I don't know why anyone is still even touching this thread.

"One of the kids said shitty things about rape! Vilify them all!"

"This dude didn't serve in the military until 5 years after when he said he served! He's garbage!"

The deep digs to find increasing dirt have begun. Peace out.

RE: Covington High School Issue - bfine32 - 01-23-2019

(01-23-2019, 01:10 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I don't know why anyone is still even touching this thread.

"This dude didn't serve in the military until 5 years after when he said he served! He's garbage!"

I think because the subject is relevant to many of the issues that infect today's society. To include media bias and school security

BmorePat87 Wrote:Peace out.

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: Covington High School Issue - GMDino - 01-23-2019

(01-23-2019, 01:08 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: By GM's definition George W. Bush is a Vietnam veteran.  He sat on his ass in the States while men died in the jungle.  Bush is a veteran, but he damn sure isn't a Vietnam veteran.  Bfine's point is dead on, if you claim to be a veteran of a war that means you served in theater, not that you were in the service at the time of the war.  Hell, if you were a REMF but were actually in country you can claim war veteran status.  If you never put a toe in the theater's soil but claim to have served in that war you're a lying piece of garbage.  It's OK, though, you have an agenda you're pushing, I'll let the facts as presented speak to others who read these threads and they'll decide for themselves.

I have no agenda other than to point out that both sides are going out of their way yo try and make the other side look awful and their side clean.

This entire event was a nothing...pushed to divide us further and it worked like a friggin charm.

Some people want to keep at it to prove something that just isn't there.

"facts"

(01-23-2019, 01:10 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I don't know why anyone is still even touching this thread.

Because lying about serving in a war is an uber shitty thing to do and rather speaks volumes about the character of the person uttering such lies?  Have we literally progressed beyond the point where such a lie doesn't deserve to be acknowledged and the liar castigated for their lie?  I just recalled this, btw, Phillips stated he was a "recon ranger".  Force Recon is the Marines, Rangers are Army.  There is no "recon rangers".  I guess the lies are difficult to keep straight when you spew so many of them.

RE: Covington High School Issue - Benton - 01-23-2019

(01-23-2019, 01:21 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Because lying about serving in a war is an uber shitty thing to do and rather speaks volumes about the character of the person uttering such lies?  Have we literally progressed beyond the point where such a lie doesn't deserve to be acknowledged and the liar castigated for their lie?  I just recalled this, btw, Phillips stated he was a "recon ranger".  Force Recon is the Marines, Rangers are Army.  There is no "recon rangers".  I guess the lies are difficult to keep straight when you spew so many of them.

Doesn't that seem a bit extreme?

Mellow

(01-23-2019, 01:29 AM)Benton Wrote: Doesn't that seem a bit extreme?

Mellow

I'm only asking for equality of outrage.  Smirk  But fair enough, I get your point.

RE: Covington High School Issue - treee - 01-23-2019

(01-23-2019, 01:29 AM)Benton Wrote: Doesn't that seem a bit extreme?

Mellow

It is. Because anyone that lies about Military Service (especially in combat) already doesn't have any balls. 

OK, being a man who owns an error I watched the actual CNN interview and Phillips does say he was a "Vietnam era veteran", which CNN did not accurately report in my link (fake news? :p). However, Phillips is still exposed as a liar about his military service. Why rather becomes apparent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIXIzvyAlLA

There's a few swear words in this video be forewarned. As an aside, if you're discharged as a private after four years, you did something(s) wrong.

RE: Covington High School Issue - fredtoast - 01-23-2019

(01-23-2019, 01:10 AM)Benton Wrote: Unfortunately, there was -- looking across several of the pages -- too much jabbing at each other.

So, feel free to discuss the subject. Refrain from trying to push each other to a breaking point or the thread will be closed, too.

I don't want to start a shitstorm in this thread, but it appears that someone sees no problem with claiming to be omniscient and accusing other people of thoughts and motives that did not exist.  I believe that would fall under the purview of "making it personal".

Perhaps clearing up this misconception will eliminate problems in the future.

The kid shares his side of the story and is the biggest adult in the group as he accepts some of the responsibility. He doesn't admit to doing anything wrong to include blocking the Elder; however, in hindsight it might have been better just to walk away. But he didn't want to appear to be disrespectful. he also says he'd love to talk with the Elder.
https://www.today.com/news/nick-sandmann-interview-today-show-s-savannah-guthrie-encounter-native-t147242

Quote:“My position is that I was not disrespectful to Mr. Phillips. I respect him. I'd like to talk to him,” he said. “I mean, in hindsight, I wish we could've walked away and avoided the whole thing. But I can't say that I'm sorry for listening to him and standing there.”

RE: Covington High School Issue - michaelsean - 01-23-2019

(01-23-2019, 12:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't want to start a shitstorm in this thread, but it appears that someone sees no problem with claiming to be omniscient and accusing other people of thoughts and motives that did not exist.  I believe that would fall under the purview of "making it personal".

Perhaps clearing up this misconception will eliminate problems in the future.

Yeah that's unfortunately sort of common here.