Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
TV Shows Gone Too Soon - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Entertainment (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Entertainment)
+--- Thread: TV Shows Gone Too Soon (/Thread-TV-Shows-Gone-Too-Soon)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: TV Shows Gone Too Soon - Interceptor - 06-22-2015

(06-22-2015, 03:53 PM)Bryan Wrote: Nerd culture is very big right now. The Big Bang Theory is both to thank and to blame for that. But as a nerd, it upsets me when people say "OMG I just watched all the Marvel Movies. I'm such a nerd lolz". These people who've never picked up a comic book pretend to be nerds, yet they're the same people who chastised nerds just 10 years ago. That's what upsets me.

I will be sad when BBT ends its run....

RE: TV Shows Gone Too Soon - Edge - 06-22-2015

Will say I was miffed when both Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis was dropped like a bad habit to produce Stargate Universe.

I liked Universe on it's own merit, but not at the expense of Atlantis. Universe failed miserably to gain any sort of audience, due to the abandonment of the original franchise direction. Thus, we lost all 3 shows. Sad

Firefly is an obvious show as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it on FOX? The same network notorious for cancelling anything with a pulse? Jackhole of a network.

Another show I thought was cut down before it ever had a chance (thanks again to FOX network) was Space: Above and Beyond.
Show was originally to run 4 or 5 seasons, only survived 1 after FOX continuously bumped it around for everything under the sun. Good show with really good FX for it's day on network TV no less. Marines in space, fighting a little known alien species that is hell bent on wiping out humanity for encroaching into their territory....kind of like a blend of the reimaged BSG + HALO, only 10 years ahead of eithers time. In fact, if you liked either Battlestar Galactica and/or HALO, you'll like this show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBaQFafK3ZU

RE: TV Shows Gone Too Soon - Awful Llama - 06-22-2015

It may sound strange given it had 8 seasons, but I'll throw out Curb Your Enthusiam.  I'd gladly watch Larry David for another two or three years. 

And, even though I was just 2 when it was canceled, I'll go retro and say the original Star Trek series.  It was way ahead of its time.  Too bad they didn't get to at least finish their five-year mission.  Another 50 or so episodes would have been really cool. 

RE: TV Shows Gone Too Soon - michaelsean - 06-22-2015

Speaking of Fox, they had a comedy with one of the Law and Order detectives. Jack or Jack something. I thought it was hilarious and they nixed it after 5 or 6 episodes.

RE: TV Shows Gone Too Soon - rfaulk34 - 06-22-2015

(06-22-2015, 10:35 AM)Benton Wrote: No list in the verse will confine me.

Lists, like laws, are made to be broken...

RE: TV Shows Gone Too Soon - fredtoast - 06-22-2015

(06-21-2015, 11:54 PM)Benton Wrote: Kolchak the Nightstalker (Darren McGavin version)

My all time favorite show as a child.  It couldn't have been on more than a couple of years, but I loved it.

Anyone remember this one?

Only two seasons ('72-'73)

[Image: searchpromo.jpg]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_(TV_series)

(06-22-2015, 10:30 AM)Benton Wrote: Another one I'll toss out is Phineas and Ferb. The show just ended last week with its fourth season. My kids loved that show and considering some of the horrible kids programming out there, it was alright to watch with them.

That show was really, really good.

RE: TV Shows Gone Too Soon - StLucieBengal - 06-22-2015

I always liked friday the 13th the series

RE: TV Shows Gone Too Soon - BengalsRocker - 06-22-2015

Wonder Falls
Committed
Pushing Daisies

I like weird quirky stuff and those three come to mind.

I'm actually surprised Raising Hope lasted as long as it did.  Like the show My Name Is Earl is very off the wall at times. 

Which seems to be something that is not appreciated by the masses.

RE: TV Shows Gone Too Soon - Benton - 06-23-2015

(06-22-2015, 09:20 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Speaking of Fox, they had a comedy with one of the Law and Order detectives.  Jack or Jack something.  I thought it was hilarious and they nixed it after 5 or 6 episodes.

I remember the show. It wasn't too bad. 

And yeah, Fox is horrible about that. Anyone remember Nathan Fillion's other Fox show? Drive. After Firefly he had a show about some super secret race when he gets blackmailed into racing with a partner. Looked really promising, sort of comedy/action. I read it was canceled before the end of the first episode. The show aired a couple episodes and, ironically, got an Emmy nomination for special effects.

Fox also canceled Millennium, which wasn't bad,, Lone Gunmen, Futurama and the Tick. I don't know of the longevity of any of them outside of Futurama, but all were good shows.

(06-22-2015, 10:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My all time favorite show as a child.  It couldn't have been on more than a couple of years, but I loved it.

I always think of my dad. Reruns came on around 11 p.m. when I was in middle school/high school in the early 90s. I'd wait up for my dad to get off work when he was on afternoons and we would watch it.

RE: TV Shows Gone Too Soon - Johnny Cupcakes - 06-23-2015

(06-22-2015, 01:03 AM)MrRager Wrote: Oh man I forgot about this show. I found it randomly online a few years back and have seen it a few times now. It is really fantastic, but I guess no one really watched Starz? 

I'll also add Freaks and Geeks to this list. One of my favorite high school based dramas and pretty much every character in the show has gone on to be a star, or at least star in other movies/shows/

Yeah, Freaks and Geeks was definitely shut down too early. 

As for Party Down, yeah...being on the Starz network isn't necessarily a recipe for success, but I thought that the show was good enough to carry an audience.  A while back, I heard that the whole cast was planning on reuniting and making a movie out of the idea, but it may have just been a rumor.  I haven't heard any new news about it.

RE: TV Shows Gone Too Soon - Arturo Bandini - 06-23-2015

Caprica
Fast Forward
Boss

RE: TV Shows Gone Too Soon - Harmening - 06-23-2015

Rules of Engagement.

RE: TV Shows Gone Too Soon - fredtoast - 06-23-2015

Gunsmoke

RE: TV Shows Gone Too Soon - michaelsean - 06-23-2015

(06-23-2015, 01:26 PM)Harmening Wrote: Rules of Engagement.

I liked that one.  It had several seasons, but it always began in like February so not a lot of episodes.

I think I will be in the minority here, but I thought Whitney, especially the first season before they tried to "fix" it was very funny.  Now her boyfriend who I thought was hilarious is virtually unwatchable in Undateable.

I also thought the show with Christina Applegate and Will Arnett was really funny until they tried to "fix" it as well.

Some recent ones that I liked were About a Boy, the one with the Allstate guy who was blind, and Manhattan Love Story had some potential.  (I like sit-coms)

RE: TV Shows Gone Too Soon - Bengal Dude - 06-23-2015

(06-22-2015, 09:20 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Speaking of Fox, they had a comedy with one of the Law and Order detectives.  Jack or Jack something.  I thought it was hilarious and they nixed it after 5 or 6 episodes.

Surviving Jack

I enjoyed it as well, but I got rid of them off my DVR after I heard it was cancelled. Another FOX series I loved that was cancelled too early was Titus. It was along the lines of a dark comedy that was ahead of its time. Sitcoms weren't allowed to be dark at the time. That show would be successful if it came on today.

RE: TV Shows Gone Too Soon - Se ky bengal - 06-23-2015

fredtoastGunsmoke

When I was in grade school, I would go to my grandmothers house every evening and she would have Gunsmoke, bonanza , the big valley and little house on all the time. I would think how can you watch these shows. Now I'm in my early 40's and love all these shows plus Walton's. Every time their on I'm in front television watching them.  :blush:

RE: TV Shows Gone Too Soon - BengalsRocker - 06-23-2015

(06-23-2015, 04:42 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Surviving Jack

I enjoyed it as well, but I got rid of them off my DVR after I heard it was cancelled. Another FOX series I loved that was cancelled too early was Titus. It was along the lines of a dark comedy that was ahead of its time. Sitcoms weren't allowed to be dark at the time. That show would be successful if it came on today.

Damn !  I forgot that one.  Glad you mentioned it.  Those flashback scenes and Stacy Keach as his dad were some funny sh*t !

RE: TV Shows Gone Too Soon - coachmcneil71 - 06-23-2015

Several really great shows mentioned already Earl,WKRP, ect....for me one of the biggest head scratchers of all time is Firefly.
Threes Company was good until the foolishness over contracts ruined it.