Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TV Shows Gone Too Soon
I've been around for 48 years, and I'll openly admit that a disproportionate amount of that time has been spent watching television.  And, in all of those years I've been fortunate enough to see many series I liked go for 7, 8, 9 or more seasons.  The ones I think about, though, are the ones canceled too soon.  You really liked them, and one day, years before their time, they got the axe.  Thanks to DVD and streaming, we can revisit some of these gems, but you still wish they'd had a longer life. 

So, what tv show do you think died too young?

For mine, I'll pick WKRP in Cincinnati.  Born in 1978 from Mary Tyler Moore's production company, it was a true ensemble comedy of ecentric characters inhabiting a bottom-tier radio station.  It never stayed in one time slot for too long, and it was canceled after just four seasons.   Rubbing salt into the wound is the fact that due to all the music played on the show, and the licensing issues therein, only the first season has ever been released on DVD, and from what I've read it's very unlikely the other three seasons will be released.  It may be lost to the ages.   
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Arrested Development. I realize Netflix has kept the show alive in some form, but FOX buried it  throughout its brief run before canceling it before they even finished the 3rd season.
Reply/Quote
My name is earl.

The job

The riches
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2015, 09:42 PM)34inXXIII Wrote: Arrested Development. I realize Netflix has kept the show alive in some form, but FOX buried it  throughout its brief run before canceling it before they even finished the 3rd season.

2nd.

(06-21-2015, 09:43 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: My name is earl.
2nd that one, too.  I'd also add its succesor show, Raising Hope, which like Earl only got four seasons. 
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Party Down....probably my favorite show ever that only lasted about 20 episodes.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Flash Forward.

I was totally invested in that show and am still pissed that there was no answer or "end".

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Life on Mars was another one.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2015, 09:51 PM)Awful Llama Wrote:  2nd.

2nd that one, too.  I'd also add its succesor show, Raising Hope, which like Earl only got four seasons. 

I am actually watching raising hope now . Almost don't with season 4.

Boca Native Shannon Woodwars stars.
Reply/Quote
Staying solely in the realm of sketch comedy shows I'd say, in order;

1. Mr. Show- IMO the best sketch comedy show ever and it's not even close. Three and a half seasons was not nearly enough.

2. Chappelle Show- The second best sketch show ever. We didn't even get three seasons of it. Success is more difficult than failure for some.

3. The Dana Carvey Show- This show was way too edgy for network TV, I wasn't shocked when it got cancelled after one season. Their Casey Kasem sketch alone probably got them the ax. Hilarious though.

4. The Ben Stiller Show- Yet another one season too edgy for "network" (Fox wasn't a network back then) television. Look at the people who came out of it though.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2015, 09:43 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: My name is earl.

The job

The riches

Haven't seen the other two, but My Name is Earl was an awesome show.

Raising Hope was a good show, too. Also killed by Fox too soon was Firefly.

Other shows:
Kolchak the Nightstalker (Darren McGavin version)
Reaper
Chuck
Jericho
Dead Like Me
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2015, 10:44 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Party Down....probably my favorite show ever that only lasted about 20 episodes.

Oh man I forgot about this show. I found it randomly online a few years back and have seen it a few times now. It is really fantastic, but I guess no one really watched Starz? 

I'll also add Freaks and Geeks to this list. One of my favorite high school based dramas and pretty much every character in the show has gone on to be a star, or at least star in other movies/shows/
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Raising Hope died when Greg Garcia wasn't invoved.   Season 4 killed it.   Too many wacky shows.

I did read where Greg Garcia mentions how be wanted to end My Name is Earl
Reply/Quote
Loved this scene from Raising Hope. All the My Name is Earl fans will enjoy ))

Reply/Quote
Friday Night Lights. Cry
[Image: Bch_OOih_CIAARIjw_jpg_large.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Firefly
Stargate Universe
Freaks and Geeks
Reply/Quote
Sports Night
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Reply/Quote
(06-22-2015, 02:31 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Firefly

Glad to see there is at least one other Browncoat around these parts.

I'm also going to list The Dresden Files.

A nice urban fantasy wizardy show is an awesome thing. Here's hoping The Magicians will make it work.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Remember that show where Tony Danza was the voice of a baby in order to capitalize off the success of the Look Who's Talking movie? Wait, that show was on for 2 seasons too long.
Reply/Quote
The Office. UK version.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2015, 11:54 PM)Benton Wrote: Haven't seen the other two, but My Name is Earl was an awesome show.

Raising Hope was a good show, too. Also killed by Fox too soon was Firefly.

Other shows:
Kolchak the Nightstalker (Darren McGavin version)
Reaper
Chuck
Jericho
Dead Like Me

I watched Jericho on Netflix, and stopped watching with maybe four episodes left because I realized it wasn't going to have an ending.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote