Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Covington High School Issue - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Covington High School Issue (/Thread-Covington-High-School-Issue)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Covington High School Issue - fredtoast - 01-24-2019

(01-24-2019, 09:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: WTS, anyone can clearly see that I said the kids in the MAGA hats doing the tomahawk cop were being disrespectful;

Gee sorry that I failed to see something you never said in this thread.  But why do you think I am accusing you of saying the kids did nothing wrong.  I never even mentioned you in my post.

Couldn't have anything to with any of these posts could it?

(01-23-2019, 12:14 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Not happy with the fact that the longer video seemed to absolve the kids of any wrong doing

(01-23-2019, 07:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Some are wanting to vilify this kids and it has nothing to do with what they did or how they acted.

(01-23-2019, 09:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: IMO the kids and the adults with them did nothing wrong;

(01-23-2019, 10:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No matter what threat you and others will fabricate that the children faced and that the adults failed to remove them from changes the fact that these kids and those watching them did anything wrong. The onus lies outside of them.

Rolleyes

RE: Covington High School Issue - bfine32 - 01-24-2019

(01-24-2019, 10:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Gee sorry that I failed to see something you never said in this thread.  But why do you think I am accusing you of saying the kids did nothing wrong.  I never even mentioned you in my post.

Couldn't have anything to with any of these posts could it?

Rolleyes

Because you said members here and I'm a member here and one of the few to defend the White Privileged kids. 

Let's see if either of us has learned anything: Did the smiling kid do anything wrong?

If you don't want to admit that I asserted that the kids doing the tomahawk chomp were being disrespectful you don't have to. 

But yeah, in general those kids did nothing wrong and the smiling kid damn sure did nothing wrong. 

But what has become a common occurrence here; you have to defend your right to hate.  

RE: Covington High School Issue - BFritz21 - 01-24-2019

(01-24-2019, 07:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is my last comment on this.

The boys were not "doing nothing". Mocking his chant and doing the tomahawk chop are rude and insulting actions. It would be like a lot of kids around a Catholic priest making the sign of the cross and then grabbing their crotch or doing a mocking sing-song "Hail Mary full of grace" chant.

It wasn't violent. It wasn't threatening. But it was highly improper. And this is a great example of the "white privilege" we all talk about. Here in America everyone knows the actions I described would be considered crude and offensive, but these kids had no idea they were mocking this guys religious beliefs. Or at least I hope they did not know and still do it.

It was two kids, maybe three, doing the chop, and that was after the guy got in the kids face.

That means, yes, they were “DOING NOTHING”!

The kid at the center of it all was especially doing nothing.

So, yes, they will get lots of money.

RE: Covington High School Issue - Belsnickel - 01-24-2019

(01-24-2019, 10:27 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: So, yes, they will get lots of money.

From whom will they get this money?

RE: Covington High School Issue - Vas Deferens - 01-24-2019

(01-24-2019, 10:34 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: From whom will they get this money?

Licensing rights from the guy who shilled those trumpy bears. Proudly displayed in double wides all over the pan handle. Once the gov starts back up.

RE: Covington High School Issue - michaelsean - 01-24-2019

(01-24-2019, 08:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If you agree that the kids were acting disrespectful to the native American then you have to agree they have a privilege because a major portion of the country (and members here) see absolutely nothing wrong with what they were doing.

It is a privilege to get away with that sort of behavior just because so many people in this country understand the Christian religion of the majority but know nothing about the religions of minorities.

Lots of people think the NA didn’t do anything wrong. It’s not some sort of Christian privilege. The fact that the guy was doing something religious doesn’t change anything whether they understood it or not.

RE: Covington High School Issue - BFritz21 - 01-24-2019

(01-24-2019, 10:34 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: From whom will they get this money?

Every news station that ran the report before anyone could really see what happened and only ran parts of the report to make the kids look like assholes.

Defamation of character isn't enough?  

Ok, all of the death threats the kid and his family received because of the false propaganda that the media ran with.

By the way, to all the people saying that the kid should have moved, the word is that the NA was walking around, made direct eye contact with the kid, and then proceeded to walk up and beat his drum inches from his face.

RE: Covington High School Issue - Benton - 01-25-2019

(01-24-2019, 11:49 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Every news station that ran the report before anyone could really see what happened and only ran parts of the report to make the kids look like assholes.

Ok, all of the death threats the kid and his family received because of the false propaganda that the media ran with.

By the way, to all the people saying that the kid should have moved, the word is that the NA was walking around, made direct eye contact with the kid, and then proceeded to walk up and beat his drum inches from his face.

https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/public-and-broadcasting#DISTORTION

Quote:News Distortion.  The Commission often receives complaints concerning broadcast journalism, such as allegations that stations have aired inaccurate or one-sided news reports or comments, covered stories inadequately, or overly dramatized the events that they cover. For the reasons noted previously, the Commission generally will not intervene in these cases because it would be inconsistent with the First Amendment to replace the journalistic judgment of licensees with our own. However, as public trustees, broadcast licensees may not intentionally distort the news. The FCC has stated that “rigging or slanting the news is a most heinous act against the public interest.” The Commission will investigate a station for news distortion if it receives documented evidence of rigging or slanting, such as testimony or other documentation, from individuals with direct personal knowledge that a licensee or its management engaged in the intentional falsification of the news. Of particular concern would be evidence of the direction to employees from station management to falsify the news. However, absent such a compelling showing, the Commission will not intervene.

It's difficult to prove intentional distortion of news. Just look at this story. There's very, very different opinions, interpretations and even admittance of what happened.

That's FCC regulations, of course, and not a civil suit. But from my experience with a half dozen libel/slander suits, a suit here would likely not be successful. Especially given that while there may only be a few doing this act or a few saying something, in a court there's still the issue that some were saying it or doing it. For example, everyone in the video (or even the majority) may not be doing a tomahawk, but if multiple students are, it's not incorrect to say "students were doing the tomahawk." 

RE: Covington High School Issue - fredtoast - 01-25-2019

(01-24-2019, 10:27 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: It was two kids, maybe three, doing the chop, and that was after the guy got in the kids face.

That means, yes, they were “DOING NOTHING”!

The kid at the center of it all was especially doing nothing.

So, yes, they  will get lots of money.

The entire group was whooping and doing a mock Indian chant.  And doing the tomahawk chop is racist and offensive.

And they won't get a penny.  If people got paid everytime someone on the internet made a death threat half of the country would be getting paid.

(01-24-2019, 10:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Because you said members here and I'm a member here and one of the few to defend the White Privileged kids. 

Let's see if either of us has learned anything: Did the smiling kid do anything wrong?

If you don't want to admit that I asserted that the kids doing the tomahawk chomp were being disrespectful you don't have to. 

But yeah, in general those kids did nothing wrong and the smiling kid damn sure did nothing wrong. 

But what has become a common occurrence here; you have to defend your right to hate.  

Sorry I forgot how you Trump supporters think.

To me being disrespectful and mocking religion is doing something wrong, but to you guys it isn't.

(01-24-2019, 11:49 PM)michaelsean Wrote: The fact that the guy was doing something religious doesn’t change anything whether they understood it or not.

To many people it does make a difference.  It is usually considered more offensive to mock an entire religion than to just mock an individual.  In fact there are some Christians here who are quick to pull out their victim cards when their religion is not being respected.  In fact they get offended when it is suggested that other religions should be treated the same as Christianity.

The only reason many people are claiming that the kids did nothing wrong is because they simply are not aware that they were mocking his religion.

RE: Covington High School Issue - BFritz21 - 01-25-2019

(01-25-2019, 03:15 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The entire group was whooping and doing a mock Indian chant.  And doing the tomahawk chop is racist and offensive.

And they won't get a penny.  If people got paid everytime someone on the internet made a death threat half of the country would be getting paid.

You're lying!  Stop slandering these kids!  It was a few kids doing the chop and a few kids doing the chant!  You want me to post pictures?  My cousin's nephew is right by the kid that the NA was staring at and none of his friends are doing anything besides a few are filming!!

Does it just not bother you to lie about teenage kids?

RE: Covington High School Issue - Belsnickel - 01-25-2019

(01-24-2019, 11:49 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Every news station that ran the report before anyone could really see what happened and only ran parts of the report to make the kids look like assholes.

(01-25-2019, 01:33 AM)Benton Wrote: https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/public-and-broadcasting#DISTORTION

It's difficult to prove intentional distortion of news. Just look at this story. There's very, very different opinions, interpretations and even admittance of what happened.

That's FCC regulations, of course, and not a civil suit. But from my experience with a half dozen libel/slander suits, a suit here would likely not be successful. Especially given that while there may only be a few doing this act or a few saying something, in a court there's still the issue that some were saying it or doing it. For example, everyone in the video (or even the majority) may not be doing a tomahawk, but if multiple students are, it's not incorrect to say "students were doing the tomahawk." 

This was what I was going to get at. The proof would have to point to the media groups knowing that what they were reporting was incorrect and doing it anyway in order for their to be a libel case to make. Jumping the conclusions doesn't do it. They reported based on what they knew at the time. Any libel case against a news agency would be a losing battle for the plaintiff for this.

RE: Covington High School Issue - michaelsean - 01-25-2019

I'm not that informed on libel and defamation etc, but I think there would have to be intent and the ability to prove it.  Doing your job poorly, as in this instance, doesn't seem like libel.  That's more of a smell test because like I said I'm not really educated on this stuff.

RE: Covington High School Issue - GMDino - 01-25-2019

(01-25-2019, 09:56 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I'm not even that up on libel and defamation etc, but I think there would have to be intent and the ability to prove it.  Doing your job poorly, as in this instance, doesn't seem like libel.  That's more of a smell test because like I said I'm not really educated on this stuff.

So I can't sue people on the internet that call me names, accuse me of being a liar and generally misrepresent me to thousands and thousands of other people on the internet?

I guess I have to go to work to day then....   Smirk

RE: Covington High School Issue - michaelsean - 01-25-2019

(01-25-2019, 10:03 AM)GMDino Wrote: So I can't sue people on the internet that call me names, accuse me of being a liar and generally misrepresent me to thousands and thousands of other people on the internet?

I guess I have to go to work to day then....   Smirk

Yeah I've tried it on about six different people here.  Main problem is most of you bastards are poor as dirt.  

(01-25-2019, 10:09 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah I've tried it on about six different people here.  Main problem is most of you bastards are poor as dirt.  

You ain't lying.

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c4b0ac530776a456bbe8c77]

RE: Covington High School Issue - BFritz21 - 01-25-2019

To the few people above, just ask the news stations why they wouldn’t show the entire encounter unless their intentions was to insult the school.

A bunch of places have already come out apologizing, which admits fault.

(01-25-2019, 10:27 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: To the few people above, just ask the news stations why they wouldn’t show the entire encounter unless their intentions was to insult the school.

Primarily because most news stations don't have two hours of airtime to devote to one video.

Secondly they apologized for reporting on what they knew because more information came out...not for deliberately reporting false information.

I eagerly await to find out how this is wrong because I am a Steelers fan.   Cool

RE: Covington High School Issue - Belsnickel - 01-25-2019

(01-25-2019, 10:27 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: To the few people above, just ask the news stations why they wouldn’t show the entire encounter unless their intentions was to insult the school.

Did they have the entire video?