Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Covington High School Issue - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Covington High School Issue (/Thread-Covington-High-School-Issue)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Covington High School Issue - Nately120 - 01-25-2019

(01-25-2019, 10:27 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: To the few people above, just ask the news stations why they wouldn’t show the entire encounter unless their intentions was to insult the school.

A bunch of places have already come out apologizing, which admits fault.

According to some people the media intentionally misrepresents everything they can in order to make anyone who isn't an ultra-liberal look as bad as possible.  Why should they apologize for doing it this time?

RE: Covington High School Issue - Benton - 01-25-2019

(01-25-2019, 10:27 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: To the few people above, just ask the news stations why they wouldn’t show the entire encounter unless their intentions was to insult the school.

A bunch of places have already come out apologizing, which admits fault.

(01-25-2019, 10:35 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Did they have the entire video?

That's the biggest part of it.

But to further, broadcast news in particular is horrible about taking a lot of footage and reducing it down to a minute long clip. In this case, there's no station in the world that's going to air two hours, mostly of people hurling insults.

RE: Covington High School Issue - BFritz21 - 01-25-2019

To everyone above, looks like I was right:

Quote:The family of 16-year-old Covington Catholic student Nicholas Sandmann has hired a high-powered lawyer who specializes in going after media organizations for libel and slander.

WCPO reports that the family has hired L. Lin Wood, whom disgraced former journalist Dan Rather described as the "attorney for the damned," and who is known for "aggressive libel and slander suits against media organizations."

The family made the announcement in a statement released by the Hemmer DeFrank Wessels law firm, The Enquirer reported.

"...Todd McMurtry, the family’s legal counsel, conducted an extensive search to find a nationally-recognized attorney skilled in the fields of libel, defamation, and the First Amendment," the release said.

Wood has a history of representing high profile clients in major cases including the family of JonBenet Ramsey and others.

"Mr. Wood brings an unrivaled record of success in the courtroom, having represented such clients as the family of JonBenet Ramsey, former Rep. Gary Condit and Richard Jewell in lawsuits against the media," McMurtry wrote. "Mr. Wood visited with the family today in northern Kentucky. He is committed to bringing justice to 16-year-old Nick Sandmann and his family. Further announcements should be expected in the next few days."

There's a little more in the link.

RE: Covington High School Issue - michaelsean - 01-25-2019

(01-25-2019, 10:55 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: To everyone above, looks like I was right:

I don't think anyone said there's no way there would be a lawsuit, just that there wouldn't be any money.  Anyone can hire a lawyer.  

RE: Covington High School Issue - GMDino - 01-25-2019

(01-25-2019, 10:55 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: To everyone above, looks like I was right:

Rich people hiring lawyers to sue someone?  That NEVER happens!

You'd think the 16 year old needed a PR firm to protest his image!

Wait....

RE: Covington High School Issue - Goalpost - 01-25-2019

Time to turn on the TV and buy in that dog whistles are everywhere, but suggesting a kid go through a wood chipper is nothing.

(01-25-2019, 10:59 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I don't think anyone said there's no way there would be a lawsuit, just that there wouldn't be any money.  Anyone can hire a lawyer.  

(01-25-2019, 11:03 AM)GMDino Wrote: Rich people hiring lawyers to sue someone?  That NEVER happens!

You'd think the 16 year old needed a PR firm to protest his image!

Wait....

You also both need to take into account that this was a 16-year-old that received death threats because of the way that this was reported and the fact that they lied/distorted the truth.

How many stories have you ever seen from the news that resulted in a 16-year-old receiving death threats?

(01-25-2019, 11:14 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: You also both need to take into account that this was a 16-year-old that received death threats because of the way that this was reported and the fact that they lied/distorted the truth.

How many stories have you ever seen from the news that resulted in a 16-year-old receiving death threats?

Mellow

https://www.newsweek.com/florida-school-shooting-survivors-death-threats-819484

https://myfox8.com/2018/12/23/north-carolina-student-who-received-death-threats-because-of-his-name-raises-3k-for-christmas-gifts-for-sick-children/

https://ithacavoice.com/2018/02/ithaca-teens-receive-death-threats-harassment-hunchback-notre-dame-play-cancellation/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/muslim-death-threats-child-student-massachusetts-police-investigation-elementary-school-a8634241.html  (Admittedly the only news that caused this was the right wing spin that all Muslims are terrorists....)

(01-25-2019, 11:14 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: You also both need to take into account that this was a 16-year-old that received death threats because of the way that this was reported and the fact that they lied/distorted the truth.

Just a ballpark guess, around 12,321,564. Give or take a million. 

Threats, like suits, are easy to start. Hell, look at the Hogg kid and the shaved head LGBT girl. Where was the moral outrage over death threats against those kids who were partisanly reported?

(01-25-2019, 11:25 AM)GMDino Wrote: Mellow

https://www.newsweek.com/florida-school-shooting-survivors-death-threats-819484

https://myfox8.com/2018/12/23/north-carolina-student-who-received-death-threats-because-of-his-name-raises-3k-for-christmas-gifts-for-sick-children/

https://ithacavoice.com/2018/02/ithaca-teens-receive-death-threats-harassment-hunchback-notre-dame-play-cancellation/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/muslim-death-threats-child-student-massachusetts-police-investigation-elementary-school-a8634241.html  (Admittedly the only news that caused this was the right wing spin that all Muslims are terrorists....)

Am I missing something?  It looks like they received death threats, but how many were caused by the news' false reporting?

(01-25-2019, 11:25 AM)Benton Wrote: Just a ballpark guess, around 12,321,564. Give or take a million. 

Threats, like suits, are easy to start. Hell, look at the Hogg kid and the shaved head LGBT girl. Where was the moral outrage over death threats against those kids who were partisanly reported?

Show me one that was a result of false news reporting.

Since there were 12,321,564, give or take a million, they should be easy to find.

(01-25-2019, 11:33 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Am I missing something?  It looks like they received death threats, but how many were caused by the news' false reporting?

We can assume most or all of them did.

Because the "news" that set off the people making the threats spun the truth.

But I remember all the threads in here supporting the the students.  #neverforget

And the story about these boys wasn't false. It was reported as was known. That's the beauty of it. Things get corrected as more facts come in.

Did they report too quickly? Looks like it. But they reported the story as it presented itself.

But if you want to contribute to their legal fund I strongly suggest you do that.

(01-25-2019, 11:35 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Show me one that was a result of false news reporting.

Since there were 12,321,564, give or take a million, they should be easy to find.

David Hogg and reports that he's a tragedy actor.

RE: Covington High School Issue - michaelsean - 01-25-2019

C'mom now Brad, you and I are both proponents of personal responsibility.  The people who made the threats are the problem here.  Now i'm going to put on my pretend lawyer hat here and say if the news agencies intentionally reported this incorrectly, that they could foresee the possibility of death threats etc and then could be on the hook for emotional damage etc.  Now seeing that I'm an LSAT, three years of law school and a Bar Exam away from being a lawyer, take that with a grain or several of salt.

(01-25-2019, 11:40 AM)michaelsean Wrote: C'mom now Brad, you and I are both proponents of personal responsibility.  The people who made the threats are the problem here.  Now i'm going to put on my pretend lawyer hat here and say if the news agencies intentionally reported this incorrectly, that they could foresee the possibility of death threats etc and then could be on the hook for emotional damage etc.  Now seeing that I'm an LSAT, three years of law school and a Bar Exam away from being a lawyer, take that with a grain or several of salt.

That's pretty accurate. Intentionally is the key word. Misreporting things happens. Genwrally it's only an issue when it happens intentionally.

(01-25-2019, 11:40 AM)michaelsean Wrote: C'mom now Brad, you and I are both proponents of personal responsibility.  The people who made the threats are the problem here.  Now i'm going to put on my pretend lawyer hat here and say if the news agencies intentionally reported this incorrectly, that they could foresee the possibility of death threats etc and then could be on the hook for emotional damage etc.  Now seeing that I'm an LSAT, three years of law school and a Bar Exam away from being a lawyer, take that with a grain or several of salt.

(01-25-2019, 11:45 AM)Benton Wrote: That's pretty accurate. Intentionally is the key word. Misreporting things happens. Genwrally it's only an issue when it happens intentionally.

They intentionally did it to pain a child in a negative light, and that won't be hard to prove.  

The lawyer they hired has done a lot of cases like this before and has been successful.

L.Lin Wood and his credentials:

Quote:
  • “lead civil attorney for the late Richard Jewell in all matters arising out of reporting about Mr. Jewell in connection with the 1996 bombing of Centennial Olympic Park in Atlanta
  • lead civil attorney in False Claim Act/Whistleblower cases alleging Medicare fraud against DaVita, Inc. in federal court in Atlanta and against Halifax Hospital Medical Center in federal court in Florida
  • lead attorney for John and the late Patsy Ramsey and their son in matters relating to the 1996 murder of JonBenét Ramsey in Boulder, Colorado
  • lead civil attorney for Jeff Greene in libel litigation against The St. Petersburg Times and The Miami Herald related to Mr. Greene’s 2010 campaign for the Democratic Nomination for the U.S. Senate from Florida
  • attorney for Dr. Phil McGraw in connection with false and defamatory articles published by Newsweek, the Daily Beast and the National Enquirer
  • attorney for Herman Cain, 2012 candidate for the Republican nomination for President of the United States
  • attorney for Sheldon Adelson in defamation litigation in New York and Florida
  • lead attorney for the victim in the Colorado civil case against NBA star Kobe Bryant
  • lead civil attorney for Beth Holloway, mother of Natalee Holloway
  • lead civil attorney for Howard K. Stern, lawyer and companion to the late Anna Nicole Smith in defamation litigation in Texas, Florida and New York
  • lead trial counsel for the Estate of Anna Nicole Smith in federal action for misappropriation and theft of estate property
  • lead counsel for The Estate of Martin Luther King, Jr., Inc. in connection with claims related to corporate governance
  • lead counsel for SunTrust Bank in fiduciary litigation involving Coca Cola heirs
  • lead civil attorney for former U.S. Congressman Gary Condit in defamation litigation against Dominick Dunne, American Media and National Enquirer related to false accusations related to Chandra Levy”

He's threatening to sue:

Quote:Kathy Griffin

USA Today
Andrea Mitchell
The Washington Post
Maggie Haberman of the NY Times
Esquire
S.E. Cupp
Tom Watson

I'd also have to think the local news stations will be on there.

(01-25-2019, 11:56 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: They intentionally did it to pain a child in a negative light, and that won't be hard to prove.  

The lawyer they hired has done a lot of cases like this before and has been successful.

He's threatening to sue:

Did he win most/some of those?

RE: Covington High School Issue - Belsnickel - 01-25-2019

(01-25-2019, 11:56 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: They intentionally did it to pain a child in a negative light, and that won't be hard to prove.  

Actually, that is exceedingly hard to prove. You're talking about proving someone's motives. Unless you have a smoking gun like hard evidence of them saying "I am intentionally lying to do this," you can't prove it.

I have mentioned before that I am one of the people at my university that adjudicates sexual misconduct cases. Much like a civil case, they are based on a preponderance of the evidence and really try to ascertain motives of individuals. Did they get consent? Did they know that the person was incapable of giving consent? Would a reasonable person know they were incapable of giving consent? Do we have evidence that supports that? These are questions I routinely have to ask. Much like actions in the justice system, the decision I make must be based on the evidence. Even if my gut says the victim was raped, if I don't have enough evidence to reach the level of preponderance, I can't say the accused student is responsible because doing so would be a violation of their civil liberties.

That's how a civil suit like this works, as well. You need actual evidence at that level to say someone is guilty of libel. And when you're dealing with the media, the test for that because even stricter because it is a matter of the First Amendment and the test for that is strong. Proving a case like this would be tremendously difficult, it doesn't matter how good the lawyer is.

RE: Covington High School Issue - Vas Deferens - 01-25-2019

(01-25-2019, 11:56 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: He's threatening to sue:

Quote:Kathy Griffin

Hilarious

He's threatening to sue:

From the list, most of those aren't related to the media. Of the couple that are, being a lawyer on a case doesn't mean the case was successful. Did they win those?

That's essentially his resume. And like any resume, it doesn't mean you were good or bad at your last job.