Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Decency, Trump and Obama. - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Decency, Trump and Obama. (/Thread-Decency-Trump-and-Obama)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Decency, Trump and Obama. - Dill - 03-13-2017

(03-11-2017, 03:38 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Congress has certain authority with regards to the POTUS, but do they have the ability to codify any of the traditions that have existed? We can't really be certain at this point. It would likely require a constitutional amendment, but that would not likely happen.

The issue is that it seems like abuse of power because your ethical code would lead you to that conclusion, as it would for many other people. The problem is that there is nothing by law that would be an issue for many of these things. Just about everyone agrees with the position that it would be an abuse of power, but that doesn't really mean anything until the next election comes around and people voice their opinions. Of course, that doesn't even mean it will make a difference at that point, either.

It looks like there has been a massive shift in voter ethics in this election, as in ethics don't really matter the way they used to, or if they do they matter selectively. For some groups, it matters if the other party's candidate lies or generates the appearance of conflicting interests, but not their own.

You think that only an Amendment, not a Congressional Act could put more requirements on a presidential candidacy or secure more disclosure/divestment regarding business interests? The War Powers Act curtailed presidential power a bit without an Amendment. Congress has he power of the purse, which can curtail crazy projects like the wall, but it would be ineffective against random disruptions of treaties and public tweets undermining the intel and other government agencies.

It is a confusing/distressing situation. One can imagine many ways in which a Trump tweet storm could damage national interest and even cost lives. And if the damage is severe enough, Congress could be prompted to act. But it is impossible to prevent the abuse before it happens.

RE: Decency, Trump and Obama. - bfine32 - 03-13-2017

(03-13-2017, 12:19 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Clearly you haven't looked at the US debt or stepped foot on a military base during the past two decades.

[Image: usgs_chart2p32.png]

(03-12-2017, 08:58 PM)hollodero Wrote: I know a bunch about pure alt-right supporters (never forget, we Austrians more or less are patient zero) and mainly see them as lost causes. Fortunately they are not the complete voter base, though. And no matter how different you look at things than bfine (and michaelsean, MikeM, JustWinBaby and some others I now forget), I guess you need to give them a bit more credit - like I do. Say what you want, but bfine is not getting his infos solely from Breitbart and I guess doesn't take Alex Jones seriously. Those people are plainly too intelligent for that. Denying that and throwing everyone in one alt-right pot isn't helpful, it just deepens the trenches and more and more "moderates" (meaning not alt-rightist Bannon fans) get lost.

I don't think I am throwing all this forum's Trump defenders in the same alt-right pot. E.g., I don't regard Justwin as a Trump supporter at all, just someone who takes a rightist view of economics.

If Trump takes Breitbart and Infowars more seriously than his own intel services, and if, after that, Trump supporters still take him seriously, then the issue is not really whether they actually read Breitbart and Infowars or read it at all, or have other sources.

(03-12-2017, 08:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 4) You have no idea if Obama ordered him to be wire-tapped or not nor do you have an accurate count of voter fraud

I have never seen the phrase "accurate count" stretched so far out of whack as here.

There is very little voter fraud in the U.S.--less than 200 incidents nationwide in the last twenty years, and 33 Republican governors will sign off on that claim, based on recorded investigations and court records.

But Trump claims 3,000,000-5,000,000 fraudulent votes were cast in the last election. With no evidence, no intent to investigate.

I don't really need an "accurate count of voter fraud" to judge Trump's claim a wild exaggeration, horrifically bad judgment.  But you are comfortable with the unsupported claim. You won't say it's not possible, that he is lying or unstable or both. You are keeping an "open mind."

Same for "no idea" above. The president of the US cannot order a wire tap on a citizen. If there WERE evidence of wire-tapping it would have been a gift for Trump, a massive vindication, and the biggest blot on the Obama presidency. Trump could have made three phone calls to settle the wire tapping issue, but he has not, or he has chosen not to tweet the answer.

So I do have an idea whether Obama ordered a wire tap.

RE: Decency, Trump and Obama. - hollodero - 03-13-2017

(03-13-2017, 02:16 AM)Dill Wrote: I don't think I am throwing all this forum's Trump defenders in the same alt-right pot. E.g., I don't regard Justwin as a Trump supporter at all, just someone who takes a rightist view of economics.

Yeah right, I shouldn't have mentioned names, I don't pretend to know these guys and normally I wouldn't really intend to. Wasn't my hottest outpour to begin with.

(03-13-2017, 02:16 AM)Dill Wrote: If Trump takes Breitbart and Infowars more seriously than his own intel services, and if, after that, Trump supporters still take him seriously, then the issue is not really whether they actually read Breitbart and Infowars or read it at all, or have other sources.

Hm. Get it. But I still think there lies a clue, for it's all about argueing he is not to be taken seriously. Never found a better one, at least.
I have no intenton to urge conservative people to change their views, for who am I to do that. I feel a strong intention to urge alt-right defending people to change their views though, for the obvious dangers to, well, humankind that comes with Bannonism.
- So if one can argue that the president acts as mouthpiece for Breitbart or Alex Jones (who now obviously is some kind of Trump adviser, probably on Sandy Hook conspiracy and gay frog issues), sensible people might actually think a bit harder about that one. While, as is demonstrated widely, they don't really are inclined to do so regarding other quite valid points (valid to us at least), as your follow-up post shows. They seem to snap back to the defending state; which, of course, is mind-boggling.

To more important things:
(03-13-2017, 03:17 AM)Dill Wrote: I have never seen the phrase "accurate count" is stretched so far out of whack as here.

There is very little voter fraud in the U.S.--less than 200 incidents nationwide in the last twenty years, and 33 Republican governors will sign off on that claim, based on recorded investigations and court records.

But Trump claims 3,000,000-5,000,000 fraudulent votes were cast in the last election. With no evidence, no intent to investigate.

I don't really need an "accurate count of voter fraud" to judge Trump's claim a wild exaggeration, horrifically bad judgment.  But you are comfortable with the unsupported claim. You won't say it's not possible, that he is lying or unstable or both. You are keeping an "open mind."

Same for "no idea" above. The president of the US cannot order a wire tap on a citizen. If there WERE evidence of wire-tapping it would have been a gift for Trump, a massive vindication, and the biggest blot on the Obama presidency. Trump could have made three phone calls to settle the wire tapping issue, but he has not, or he has chosen not to tweet the answer.

So I do have an idea whether Obama ordered a wire tap.

Yeah. Seconded. It's really not logical to see it any other way, no matter the political stance.

RE: Decency, Trump and Obama. - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 03-13-2017

(03-13-2017, 12:55 AM)bfine32 Wrote: [Image: usgs_chart2p32.png]

I would hope a faux fiscal conservative would be glad defense spending decreased as our involvement in Iraq decreased.

Or are you in favor of giving billions to defense contractors for doing nothing as a form of corporate welfare? It would be idiotic and irresponsible to continue spending at the 2010 rate when the mission has changed and so has the size of the military (as it should to support the mission.) Suggesting otherwise is blatant partisanship.

So are you supporting the claim the military hasn't spent to upgrade equipment? Hell, you of all people should know we built an entirely new Armor School.

RE: Decency, Trump and Obama. - michaelsean - 03-13-2017

(03-12-2017, 02:46 AM)hollodero Wrote: Mentoring a 70-year-oold life-long narcissist that, if any, only listens to Bannon.. hmm. Cool project. But whatever.

I said it once already, replacing Obama with Trump is like replacing Marvin Lewis with me. Sure, I might not know anything about coaching a football team, I will take colossal losses, draft crappy players and throw some fits against my predecessor and the world itself afterwards, but hey - new style! Just call it refreshing. And I can learn on the job and get better, as long as Bengals fans refrain from demanding my dismissal, don't buy into the fake results and stay open-minded and constructive. Who knows, in 8 years I might even win a game. Or two, if you don't grow tired of so much winning.
So why not give me a shot?

I thought you liked Obama.

RE: Decency, Trump and Obama. - Griever - 03-13-2017

(03-12-2017, 03:19 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Fake info Griever
That was stopped in December a month before Trump took office

yeah it was stopped in courth because they knew the trump admin would do away with it and side with the states that wanted it stopped since trump thinks people are paid too much now anyways

RE: Decency, Trump and Obama. - Luvnit2 - 03-13-2017

(03-13-2017, 09:27 AM)Griever Wrote: yeah it was stopped in courth because they knew the trump admin would do away with it and side with the states that wanted it stopped since trump thinks people are paid too much now anyways

Maybe one day you and others will figure out raising the minimum wage or changing OT pay rules will not equate to higher income net gain due to the costs rising on the consumer side. I figured out a long time ago if I wanted higher wages to be the best worker, always on time and present and loyal. That is how you go from close to minimum wage to 100K a year within 15 years.

Minimum wage is entry wages to start the learning process. Once in the door almost every company has opportunities to advance if one is motivated.

(03-13-2017, 10:26 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Maybe one day you and others will figure out raising the minimum wage or changing OT pay rules will not equate to higher income net gain due to the costs rising on the consumer side. I figured out a long time ago if I wanted higher wages to be the best worker, always on time and present and loyal. That is how you go from close to minimum wage to 100K a year within 15 years.

Minimum wage is entry wages to start the learning process. Once in the door almost every company has opportunities to advance if one is motivated.

yeah because companies making salary employees work 60 hours and paying for 40 hours is just awesome

RE: Decency, Trump and Obama. - Benton - 03-13-2017

(03-13-2017, 10:26 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Maybe one day you and others will figure out raising the minimum wage or changing OT pay rules will not equate to higher income net gain due to the costs rising on the consumer side. I figured out a long time ago if I wanted higher wages to be the best worker, always on time and present and loyal. That is how you go from close to minimum wage to 100K a year within 15 years.

And that's got nothing to do with it.

OT pay rules get abused horribly in my industry. I figured out a long time ago, it doesn't matter if you're on time or present or loyal, they're going to work you 50-60 hours and pay you for salary for a flat 40. Don't like it? Pick a different industry. Which is what many folks did 10-15 years ago, and most do after being in it a decade or so. Usually it's around that point that if you aren't at a gray lady or at least an editor, you realize there's not much point in working for 2/3's of a check.

I don't know what industry you're in. But fewer and fewer companies care about whether or not you're on time and present and loyal. What they want is someone who works cheap. Cheap cheap cheap. Cheaper you work, bigger their bottom line. Bigger their bottom line, more inclined they are to let you stay.

Personally, I'm against a minimum wage increase. But OT laws definitely need to be fixed. And loopholes that allow companies to defer taxes and propagate a system where it's easy to not keep profits tethered to wages.

RE: Decency, Trump and Obama. - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 03-13-2017

Does anyone work or has worked for an employer who is loyal to them?

For me, the answer is no.

RE: Decency, Trump and Obama. - BmorePat87 - 03-13-2017

(03-13-2017, 12:28 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Does anyone work or has worked for an employer who is loyal to them?

For me, the answer is no.

No, but education is weird. 

We were having this discussion at work the other week. Shifting generational attitudes where you used to work for a company for decades and they took care of you versus now moving from place to place, using the last job as leverage for the next. 

Some say younger people are entitled and expect benefits from an employer. Some may counter that you should expect those and they shouldn't be contingent on working decades.

Some may say that you can no longer trust those companies to look out for the employees, so why not go to whoever is offering the best at that moment. 

RE: Decency, Trump and Obama. - michaelsean - 03-13-2017

(03-13-2017, 12:14 PM)Benton Wrote: And that's got nothing to do with it.

OT pay rules get abused horribly in my industry. I figured out a long time ago, it doesn't matter if you're on time or present or loyal, they're going to work you 50-60 hours and pay you for salary for a flat 40. Don't like it? Pick a different industry. Which is what many folks did 10-15 years ago, and most do after being in it a decade or so. Usually it's around that point that if you aren't at a gray lady or at least an editor, you realize there's not much point in working for 2/3's of a check.

I don't know what industry you're in. But fewer and fewer companies care about whether or not you're on time and present and loyal. What they want is someone who works cheap. Cheap cheap cheap. Cheaper you work, bigger their bottom line. Bigger their bottom line, more inclined they are to let you stay.

Personally, I'm against a minimum wage increase. But OT laws definitely need to be fixed. And loopholes that allow companies to defer taxes and propagate a system where it's easy to not keep profits tethered to wages.

I have never been involved with OT, so my question is, is who said you are being paid for a flat 40?  Is there usually an agreement that says you generally shouldn't have to work more than 40 hours?  don't new lawyers at a law firm work like 70-80 hour weeks?

RE: Decency, Trump and Obama. - Benton - 03-13-2017

(03-13-2017, 01:35 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I have never been involved with OT, so my question is, is who said you are being paid for a flat 40?  Is there usually an agreement that says you generally shouldn't have to work more than 40 hours?  don't new lawyers at a law firm work like 70-80 hour weeks?

You're paid at a weekly salary which determines the hourly rate. Say (because the math is easy) $20 an hour is what your base salary (hourly wage times hours worked) is.

So if you work 40 hours, that's $800. Likewise, if you work $80 hours, it's $800. And if you work 20 hours, it's $800. When you do payroll you're paying someone for that 40 hour FTE.

As far as working more, that depends on the business. Used to some businesses offered comp time to salary workers. You work 60 hours one week, you only work 20 the next. But I think that's pretty well been abandoned as more businesses have fewer employees to take up that slack. 

In the above, if you're regularly working 80 hours, you're really just making $10 an hour. Less considering overtime laws.

(03-13-2017, 01:35 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I have never been involved with OT, so my question is, is who said you are being paid for a flat 40?  Is there usually an agreement that says you generally shouldn't have to work more than 40 hours?  don't new lawyers at a law firm work like 70-80 hour weeks?

work weeks are generally 40 hours, and for hourly employees, anytime over that is overtime

salary employees dont get that benefit, so thats what the bill was aimed at, those making below a certain amount as a salary employee would have been bumped up (i think here in florida it would have been up to about 51k a year)

now that when trump was elected, it was squashed because they knew that the trump admin wouldnt uphold it and now salary workers can work 40+ hours without a bump

(03-13-2017, 02:00 PM)Benton Wrote: You're paid at a weekly salary which determines the hourly rate. Say (because the math is easy) $20 an hour is what your base salary (hourly wage times hours worked) is.

So if you work 40 hours, that's $800. Likewise, if you work $80 hours, it's $800. And if you work 20 hours, it's $800. When you do payroll you're paying someone for that 40 hour FTE.

As far as working more, that depends on the business. Used to some businesses offered comp time to salary workers. You work 60 hours one week, you only work 20 the next. But I think that's pretty well been abandoned as more businesses have fewer employees to take up that slack. 

In the above, if you're regularly working 80 hours, you're really just making $10 an hour. Less considering overtime laws.

Damn, I was working for about a nickel an hour when I was deployed then.

RE: Decency, Trump and Obama. - hollodero - 03-13-2017

(03-13-2017, 08:51 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I thought you liked Obama.

Meh.

RE: Decency, Trump and Obama. - Belsnickel - 03-13-2017

(03-12-2017, 11:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: That is some bend over backward logic. 

Not at all. If an administration declines to defend an order/action/legislation then the demise of the policy is absolutely at their hands.

(03-13-2017, 12:53 AM)Dill Wrote: It looks like there has been a massive shift in voter ethics in this election, as in ethics don't really matter the way they used to, or if they do they matter selectively. For some groups, it matters if the other party's candidate lies or generates the appearance of conflicting interests, but not their own.

You think that only an Amendment, not a Congressional Act could put more requirements on a presidential candidacy or secure more disclosure/divestment regarding business interests? The War Powers Act curtailed presidential power a bit without an Amendment. Congress has he power of the purse, which can curtail crazy projects like the wall, but it would be ineffective against random disruptions of treaties and public tweets undermining the intel and other government agencies.

It is a confusing/distressing situation. One can imagine many ways in which a Trump tweet storm could damage national interest and even cost lives. And if the damage is severe enough, Congress could be prompted to act. But it is impossible to prevent the abuse before it happens.

I do think it would be only an amendment. This isn't something that can be remedied with the power of the purse, and no self-policing by the executive will work because it can then be overturned by the executive. It would have to be an amendment.

(03-13-2017, 12:55 AM)bfine32 Wrote: [Image: usgs_chart2p32.png]

And yet we still account for 30% of the worldwide military spending.

(03-13-2017, 04:58 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: And yet we still account for 30% of the worldwide military spending.

...and yet, not sure we crack the top 5 in per capita.

Gotta pay the cost to be the boss.