Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Mothers of ISIS - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Mothers of ISIS (/Thread-Mothers-of-ISIS)

Pages: 1 2

Mothers of ISIS - Johnny Cupcakes - 08-16-2015

Here's a powerful read for anyone interested. It goes through the lives of four mothers whose children decided that joining a terrorist organization was a good thing to do. It goes to show that it doesn't really matter where you come from, or the type of people that you have around you, radical Islam can corrupt you pretty easily if you let it in.

Religion is poison to humanity, Islam more than others.

http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/mothers-of-isis/?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

RE: Mothers of ISIS - Belsnickel - 08-16-2015

(08-16-2015, 10:48 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Here's a powerful read for anyone interested. It goes through the lives of four mothers whose children decided that joining a terrorist organization was a good thing to do. It goes to show that it doesn't really matter where you come from, or the type of people that you have around you, radical Islam can corrupt you pretty easily if you let it in.

http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/mothers-of-isis/?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

I have been reading some really interesting stories on ISIS as of late. If I was on a computer at the moment it would be easier to share them with you all. A lot of enlightening stuff about them is being put out there right now and it isn't being covered as much here in the states.

RE: Mothers of ISIS - Benton - 08-17-2015

Thanks for the read. A side we don't hear from enough, the families left behind.

RE: Mothers of ISIS - Rotobeast - 08-17-2015

(08-16-2015, 10:48 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Here's a powerful read for anyone interested.  It goes through the lives of four mothers whose children decided that joining a terrorist organization was a good thing to do.  It goes to show that it doesn't really matter where you come from, or the type of people that you have around you, radical Islam can corrupt you pretty easily if you let it in.

I beg to differ....
Weak minds and perversion of religion is the issue.
Religion is the basis for morality and was paramount in culling the majority of barbarism in the world.

I understand how you formed your opinion, things are ugly out there.
However, I'm sure you understand that religion is being used as a tool for control, as it has been forever.
Whether it is a tool for good or evil is up to whether it is a true believer or iconoclast wielding it.

RE: Mothers of ISIS - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 08-17-2015

(08-17-2015, 04:53 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I beg to differ....
Religion is the basis for morality and was paramount in culling the majority of barbarism in the world.

However, I'm sure you understand that religion is being used as a tool for control, as it has been forever.
Whether it is a tool for good or evil is up to whether it is a true believer or iconoclast wielding it.

Religion is one basis for morality, but not the only one. I'm agnostic. There may be a divine creator, I don't know. I haven't ruled it out as a possibility. I try to do the right thing because it is the right thing to do.  Not because of a reward or punishment in a potential afterlife.

RE: Mothers of ISIS - Belsnickel - 08-17-2015

The basis of morality lies in society, not religion. You can find evidence of morality, or at least the roots of it, within chimpanzee societies. Religion has served many roles in our cultures around the world, and one of those has been to codify morality. But morality existed before religion.

RE: Mothers of ISIS - Johnny Cupcakes - 08-17-2015

(08-17-2015, 09:39 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The basis of morality lies in society, not religion. You can find evidence of morality, or at least the roots of it, within chimpanzee socieites. Religion has served many roles in our cultures around the world, and one of those has been to codify morality. But morality existed before religion.

Religion undoubtedly has had an effect on human morality, but to say that it's the only factor in it is just wrong.  If you read religious texts though, they're filled with just as many negative things as positive things regarding morality.

If it were the only factor in morality, you would expect for more religious people to be more moral as a whole (which isn't the case), and for a far smaller amount of horrible things attributed to religion.

RE: Mothers of ISIS - jakefromstatefarm - 08-17-2015

(08-17-2015, 10:05 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Religion undoubtedly has had an effect on human morality, but to say that it's the only factor in it is just wrong.  If you read religious texts though, they're filled with just as many negative things as positive things regarding morality.

If it were the only factor in morality, you would expect for more religious people to be more moral as a whole (which isn't the case), and for a far smaller amount of horrible things attributed to religion.

I agree with this. 

I'm not a religious guy, FWIW.  I still consider myself to be a moral person.  

RE: Mothers of ISIS - Beaker - 08-17-2015

I beg to differ...
Even barbarians had some form of religion. And religion has been the basis for some serious barbarism throughout history.
Religion is in no way the basis for morality. If religion was non-existent, society would eventually become more moral all on its own as people grew tired of man's inhumanity towards other men.
Religion separates people. Tells people they are superior to others who don't think the way they do.
Religion is based upon control and fear...tithe here or face excommunication....believe the way we say or face an eternity of suffering....etc.
Fellowship would happen just fine without religion. Good people would come together and help each other even if religion wasn't around.
Nothing is more divisive than religion.
The world would be a better place without it.

RE: Mothers of ISIS - Nebuchadnezzar - 08-18-2015

I wonder how many people have been murdered in the name of science?

Probably just as many as has been murdered in the name of religion. Before you say "Nuh uh" just think how many Josef Mengele had murdered or the United States government looking for whatever.

Oh wait, this is a "Bash Religion" thread just like all the others.

Lol, you guys are so predictable.

RE: Mothers of ISIS - GMDino - 08-18-2015

(08-18-2015, 12:28 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I wonder how many people have been murdered in the name of science?

Probably just as many as has been murdered in the name of religion. Before you say "Nuh uh" just think how many Josef Mengele had murdered or the United States government looking for whatever.

Oh look, a martyr who thinks discussing religion is "bashing" it.

So predictable.

RE: Mothers of ISIS - Benton - 08-18-2015

(08-18-2015, 09:21 AM)GMDino Wrote: Oh look, a martyr who thinks discussing religion is "bashing" it.

So predictable.

Quote:And religion has been the basis for some serious barbarism throughout history.

Quote:Religion separates people.

Quote:Religion is based upon control and fear

Quote:Nothing is more divisive than religion.

The world would be a better place without it.

Quote: Religion is poison to humanity, Islam more than others.

Mellow

RE: Mothers of ISIS - Johnny Cupcakes - 08-18-2015

(08-18-2015, 12:28 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I wonder how many people have been murdered in the name of science?

I can say with near 100% confidence that the amount of people killed in the name of science is nowhere near the amount of people killed in the name of religion.  It might be a difficult thing to measure, but if you'd like, we can keep score.  Unfortunately, you had to get all butthurt and try to bring something else down to the level of religion, as if that may make your atrocities seem less atrocious.  Speaking of predictability....

(08-18-2015, 11:37 AM)Benton Wrote: Mellow

Everything you quoted came from one person and one post.

Here are some of the others.

(08-17-2015, 09:01 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Religion is one basis for morality, but not the only one. I'm agnostic. There may be a divine creator, I don't know.  I haven't ruled it out as a possibility. I try to do the right thing because it is the right thing to do.  Not because of a reward or punishment in a potential afterlife.

(08-17-2015, 09:39 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The basis of morality lies in society, not religion. You can find evidence of morality, or at least the roots of it, within chimpanzee socieites. Religion has served many roles in our cultures around the world, and one of those has been to codify morality. But morality existed before religion.

(08-17-2015, 10:05 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Religion undoubtedly has had an effect on human morality, but to say that it's the only factor in it is just wrong.  If you read religious texts though, they're filled with just as many negative things as positive things regarding morality.

(08-17-2015, 10:11 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: I agree with this. 

I'm not a religious guy, FWIW.  I still consider myself to be a moral person.  

That's about as reasonable a discussion as you can have about religion around here. Smirk

RE: Mothers of ISIS - Johnny Cupcakes - 08-18-2015

If calling something out for what it is is "bashing", then sure...I'll bash religion. Happily, at that. Some beliefs don't deserve my respect. I don't believe that there has been much bashing here though...

RE: Mothers of ISIS - xxlt - 08-18-2015

(08-17-2015, 09:01 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Religion is one basis for morality, but not the only one. I'm agnostic. There may be a divine creator, I don't know.  I haven't ruled it out as a possibility. I try to do the right thing because it is the right thing to do.  Not because of a reward or punishment in a potential afterlife.

^ all day long.

(08-18-2015, 11:43 AM)GMDino Wrote: Everything you quoted came from one person and one post.

Here are some of the others.

That's about as reasonable a discussion as you can have about religion around here.   Smirk

You should probably recount that. It's easily twice as many people.

Mellow

(08-18-2015, 12:14 PM)Benton Wrote: You should probably recount that. It's easily twice as many people.

Mellow

You are correct.  2 people.

Clearly its bashing.

Smirk

(08-18-2015, 12:18 PM)GMDino Wrote: You are correct.  2 people.

Clearly its bashing.

Smirk

One person is a hater.

Two people are a mob.

(08-18-2015, 12:21 PM)Benton Wrote: One person is a hater.

Two people are a mob.

A dangerous mob.
[Image: nuns-two-attractive-young-indoors-30532164.jpg]