Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Bengals cutting Iloka - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Bengals cutting Iloka (/Thread-Bengals-cutting-Iloka)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Bengals cutting Iloka - bengalfan74 - 08-19-2018

(08-19-2018, 06:28 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This cut will make sense when the Front Office recapitalizes the money into obtaining a quality right tackle.

First off thanks for your service George and good luck ! Iloka has never been a game changer but he's been fairly solid.

Yes that's what I'm hoping, RT that is. First Lafell now Iloka, perhaps this team is really changing the way it does business. If MJ and Ogbuehi get cut I'll begin to believe they've turned over a new leaf and really are committed to winning. 

RE: Bengals cutting Iloka - JWW1971 - 08-19-2018

Just caught up on the news and haven't read all comments but to be honest I don't see the problem with this at all.
The guy was an OK player that has been a part of a team for the last 5 years that has won nothing. Not even close to winning anything, Everyone wanted Lewis to go in a different direction after saying he has been to loyal to players for years.
Maybe this is just the start, I can see a few surprises coming before the final 53 is confirmed

RE: Bengals cutting Iloka - Devils Advocate - 08-19-2018

(08-19-2018, 08:34 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Good teams also cut coaches well before they can go 0-7 in the playoffs. nothing changes here until at least ML is gone, everything else is cosmetics. Keep believing things have changed, let me know when we win. Playoff game, anything less is SSDD

I agree but we’re stuck with him so he’s gotta make decisions & this isn’t a bad move in my opinion.

RE: Bengals cutting Iloka - J24 - 08-19-2018

(08-19-2018, 06:46 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: But he doesn’t cover TE’s well. George had a shitty game last night and it cost him his job. This is what the good teams do to try to correct the problems. They are flush with quality DB’s.

Wtf he actually does.

RE: Bengals cutting Iloka - Shake n Blake - 08-19-2018

I don't get it...unless they're clearing up room for Dunlap/Atkins and someone else has been impressing at Safety.

I'm not going to say I despise the move, as our Safety play has been a giant "meh" since Reggie left, but it's hard to imagine this helping us in 2018.

RE: Bengals cutting Iloka - Joelist - 08-19-2018

Cutting Iloka is a sign the team is finally tired of getting punked for explosive pass plays because both Saleties were strong and we had no free safety player type.

RE: Bengals cutting Iloka - mikey6866 - 08-19-2018

(08-19-2018, 05:57 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: There was plenty of cap room to sign Geno and Dunlap before this move. The problem with taking baby steps is other teams make adult steps when they want change. Every change with Mikey is a slow process where he is dragged along kicking and screaming. And this team is always built around If's , ands and buts. If the OL right side improves, if Dalton plays better in big games, and we have no injuries, and  ML is less conservative, etc etc. And even if by some miracle Eifert stays healthy he should not be resigned unless it is for one year
Again I dont disagree with most of this.  But were talking about mike brown here.  He hasnt made baby steps in 20 years.  Im hoping these baby steps lead to more aggressive overall philosophy but with mike brown still in place im still skeptical.  Only thing I disagree with is eifert if he stays healthy I dont want to lose him.  He is a game changer when healthy...i understand everybodys skeptisim in regards to his health because the last couple years have been brutal for him injury wise.  If he has another injury ladden season its probably time to walk away.   If he has a great season im willing to roll the dice on him.  Hes just too talented to let walk.

RE: Bengals cutting Iloka - Devils Advocate - 08-19-2018

(08-19-2018, 09:08 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Wtf he actually does.

Well he wasn’t very effective.

RE: Bengals cutting Iloka - BrownAssClown - 08-19-2018

Are the Bengals going to bring back "Pac Man" on the cheap to play safety? Ninja

RE: Bengals cutting Iloka - Beaker - 08-19-2018

I actually like the move. This is just another sign in the long line of signs since the end of last season that the Bengals are finally changing the way they do things. Iloka was average to slightly above average as a FS. He has not been playing well in the preseason and Bates has. Cut the expensive veteran, and earmark those funds for Carlos Dunlap and Geno Atkins. I do wish they had explored a trade to a team hungry for a S though....or held him a bit longer to see if some other team needed a S after the 3rd preseason game due to injury. Could have turned that into another OL.

RE: Bengals cutting Iloka - HuDey - 08-19-2018

I have no problem at all with this move. Iloka with his size was supposed to be the answer to neutralizing the receiving tight ends of the league, but he (along with everyone else) has not gotten that done. He is neither a ball hawk nor a thumper and I think that after this season is over we will be able to look back and say that we upgraded that position.

RE: Bengals cutting Iloka - bonesaw - 08-19-2018

Probably making extension money for Atkins/Dunlap. Good luck George. You were always a tough guy for this team and defensive unit. Cleveland, Oakland, Minnesota, Pitt....he'll be on one of these rosters before hump day

RE: Bengals cutting Iloka - Truck_1_0_1_ - 08-20-2018

(08-19-2018, 04:58 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Yet Ogbuehi and Eifert remain. Whatever

??

RE: Bengals cutting Iloka - JWW1971 - 08-20-2018

I was also wondering how much of a say Coach Austin had in this.
Maybe he has recognized Iloka wasn't going to fit in with his plans and wants to concentrate on the guys he thinks has a chance

RE: Bengals cutting Iloka - Bengalitis - 08-20-2018

Don't panic yet, wait till they release Ross. Ninja

RE: Bengals cutting Iloka - JWW1971 - 08-20-2018

It's got to be Og next

RE: Bengals cutting Iloka - Go Cards - 08-20-2018

Would like to thank George for his play and representing the community positively.

But new DC may not see him fitting his scheme. Is it better to cut a starter while there is time to catch on with another team or bench him ?

Anyway am certainly hoping it is to add players on right side of OL. Do believe someone will get released and it is best to be prepared cap wise so they can pounce immediately.

Always was a MJ fan but admit he is getting long in the tooth and could see that possibly happening to him as well to make even more cap space.

See George and Lafell as the FO (possibly Marvin has control) being aggressive still and rolling dice trying to go all in in same offseason fashion.

if it brings help where we need it the most then I will applaud it loudly.

As for OG he should be cut purely because he is not cutting the mustard. yet financially he probably does not count much against the cap anyway.

Am also fine If Brown keeps kicking the way he has throughout ultimately replacing Bullock. Think they will stick with experience here though.

RE: Bengals cutting Iloka - Nicomo Cosca - 08-20-2018

(08-20-2018, 02:07 AM)JWW1971 Wrote: It's got to be Og next

Probably Michael Johnson. It’s the veterans going so far (LaFell, Pacman, Iloka). They must foolishly still have hope for Og. Sadly, it’s not like we have much better behind him on half the line either.

RE: Bengals cutting Iloka - SHRacerX - 08-20-2018

First of all, regarding George Iloka: Classy guy. Solid player. Does tend to draw flags as his tall frame (very tall for a safety) makes him susceptible to body shots if he doesn't lower his head. Understands the defense that we used to run. They actually called him "the general" at one point, usually making the calls when Rey M didn't know what to do. I enjoyed him as a player and person and will miss him. I wish him well where ever he ends up.

Second, releasing George has nothing to do with an imaginary overall depth chart. You can't say "well, Ogbuehi and MJ suck...why are they still here?". Every position group and player has a different situation from a financial and depth of talent at the position group. George being released actually addresses one of my most common complaints: never playing the younger guy over the old player. They always went with solid over upside and potential. It was an understandable, but conservative view. That has CLEARLY changed. They are going to be starting Bates at FS. That is awesome as the kid is a ball hawk on the back end. With a better pass rush from the likes of Lawson, Willis, and Hubbard, the secondary has to make plays on the ball and not just tackles after easy, uncontested receptions.

Lastly, if we are honest with ourselves, how much "playmaking" have we seen from our safeties? Reggie Nelson was a great player on the back end of our secondary. When Chris Crocker first came to the Bengals, he stood out (in a good way) because we weren't getting that much production from our safeties. I think with our CB talent (Dennard is the most underrated player on our team and is looking outstanding out there...need to sign that dude) that we will usually have three CBs and two safeties out there in nickel packages. They want speed at the position, and that will be Wilson. They want tackling and toughness at the position (like to be in the box) they have Williams and Fej.

That leaves no room for Iloka. It is tough to cut a guy that has been a good dude, and a solid player, but it will be the right move in the long run.

FWIW, I still see MJ being released...and maybe Ogbuehi. Ced will be a huge admission of suction in the draft process as a first rounder that contributed nothing, but he simply doesn't have it.

I am encouraged by Evans at LB and am happy to hear he will likely be starting at WILL and in nickel packages with Vigil, who has looked good thus far. Speed is needed, and they have that. Brown will be a solid run-stuffing LB in the middle on early downs and short yardage, but he simply is too slow in space to cover effectively.

Evans, Bates, Willis, Lawson, Wilson/Fej, and Hubbard are faster, better play makers than people we had in the starting lineup a year ago and the defense wasn't awful last year...it just looked that way because the offense was so inept. All those guys are going to make a positive impact. George was money that could be used on extensions for Atkins and Dunlap. So is MJ, and so is Ced.

I am sure this isn't the last "surprise cut" on this team. I wonder if anyone has thought about trying to trade Kirkpatrick and sign Dennard to a long-term deal, but that would leave them paper-thin at depth.

RE: Bengals cutting Iloka - Au165 - 08-20-2018

Teams don't pay 28 year old back up safeties who don't play special teams 6.2 Million per year. His play wasn't great and the team wanted to get younger so they did right by him cutting him early so he can sign on somewhere else and have a chance to start. With the Chargers losing a safety and with the Cowboys maybe needing some help the timing is great for Illoka. As for not trading him, no one was taking on that contract for a player that is flawed.