Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Finley after the bye week? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Finley after the bye week? (/Thread-Finley-after-the-bye-week)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Finley after the bye week? - MasonDT70 - 10-20-2019

The bengals really should start playing Finley or dolegala. Like many have said in here already, might as well see what we have in them. I'm going to wait until after the bye week to fully pass judgement as theres no reason dalton should be playing after that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RE: Finley after the bye week? - Benton - 10-20-2019

(10-20-2019, 05:59 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I don't think it's fair to the team or Finley to put him in this situation right now.

I think he'd be happy to show what he's got.

RE: Finley after the bye week? - rfaulk34 - 10-20-2019

(10-20-2019, 06:24 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: He gives us the best chance. 

You don't know that because Finley hasn't been in. 

Dalton could give them the best chance, but that's not sayinganything because he's done jack shit so far this year in even getting them one win in seven tries. And he's looked like a big ole pile of poop doing it most of the time. 

(10-20-2019, 06:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Literally every other team understands that. Just like we stayed with Marvin too long, we’ve now done the same with Dalton. Enough is enough already.

But did you read the text in an ice cube voice?

(10-20-2019, 06:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s a 4th round pick, if he doesn’t succeed so be it. But what if he looks halfway decent? Maybe we can use that #1 or 2 pick for a game changing DE or something else. Point is we need to know what we have in Finley. He flashed just enough in the preseason to make you wonder.

Egggz actly. Why use a pick on a QB if you don't need to. More picks to shore up other postions. 

(10-20-2019, 06:50 PM)Synric Wrote: It's not one or the other...

You are not going to be a successful team if the line does not make lanes for the running back or give a QB a chance to check down or make a second read.

Defenses dont have to stack the box and pull people out of coverage to stop the Bengals run game. Defenses do no have to bring extra guys to create pressure. Dalton has been making one pre snap read and getting the ball out that has been the offense all year and no way is that going to be successful.

Most everyone knows that. You're not going to replace 3-5 offensive lineman next game. You can easily change 1 QB. 

(10-20-2019, 07:05 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: He won't look decent because he is in a hopeless situation that's the point.  How are you supposed to evaluate a QB in that position?
Now in December when/if AJ, Williams, Glenn, and Ross are all back sure give him a chance but until then let's not ruin another QB for shits and Giggles.

Again, you have no idea how he will look. Dalton isn't out there running for his life every down. Most of his problems are because he's a fixed target. A QB that can move, can make the line look better than they are. Dalton can't do that. Every other QB isn't Dalton, immobile and easy to get to. 

On top of that, the freaking guy is missing open receivers when there's no pressure most of the time now. 

(10-20-2019, 07:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Maybe...just maybe...a QB can elevate the play of those around him. The running game is crappy but protection has been pretty good lately. Maybe...just maybe...a QB making plays in the passing game can open up the running game.

Bingo. Blinders are good for a horse. Bad for a human. 

(10-20-2019, 08:36 PM)Benton Wrote: I think he'd be happy to show what he's got.

If he's any kind of competitor, he'll like it a hell of a lot more than standing on the sidelines, watching Dalton throw the ball everywhere except to his receivers. 

RE: Finley after the bye week? - Fan_in_Kettering - 10-20-2019

Change the quarterback and leave the offensive line intact? Fine, whatever, but it won’t fix the run game. Just be prepared for the Bengals to be “all pass all the time.” That will mean more interceptions no matter who is throwing the ball.

RE: Finley after the bye week? - Nicomo Cosca - 10-20-2019

(10-20-2019, 09:14 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Change the quarterback and leave the offensive line intact? Fine, whatever, but it won’t fix the run game. Just be prepared for the Bengals to be “all pass all the time.” That will mean more interceptions no matter who is throwing the ball.

Rookie QBs will make mistakes and throw picks, that I can live with. What our 9 year veteran QB did today however...

RE: Finley after the bye week? - J24 - 10-20-2019

(10-20-2019, 09:04 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Again, you have no idea how he will look. Dalton isn't out there running for his life every down. Most of his problems are because he's a fixed target. A QB that can move, can make the line look better than they are. Dalton can't do that. Every other QB isn't Dalton, immobile and easy to get to. 

On top of that, the freaking guy is missing open receivers when there's no pressure most of the time now. 

Dalton has one of the quickest releases, is one of the smartest QBs when it comes to pre snap reads, and he himself is pretty mobile. 
The sacks will get a lot higher when you add a rookie to the mix. Finley isn't Lamar Jackson and he will need a lot more help to be successful in the NFL than Dalton.

RE: Finley after the bye week? - Nicomo Cosca - 10-20-2019

(10-20-2019, 09:21 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Dalton has one of the quickest releases, is one of the smartest QBs when it comes to pre snap reads, and he himself is pretty mobile. 
The sacks will get a lot higher when you add a rookie to the mix. Finley isn't Lamar Jackson and he will need a lot more help to be successful in the NFL than Dalton.

Did you watch the preseason? Finley was moving around the pocket like a vet. And don’t give me it was against scrubs. Avoiding a pass rush is avoiding a pass rush.

(10-20-2019, 06:15 PM)Destro Wrote: For every great back up that makes it big, there are 50 Nathan Petermans.

Romo
Hostetler
Favre
Warner
Morrall
Brady 
Foles
Schaub
Cousins
Fitzpatrick (dude has a killer nickname)
Wilson
Prescott
and that's not counting the young guys this year, 1st rd picks that sat behind someone else...or guys that busted on one place then won in another, ala, Doug Williams.

Mind showing me your list of 600 busts?

(10-20-2019, 09:14 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Change the quarterback and leave the offensive line intact?  Fine, whatever, but it won’t fix the run game. Just be prepared for the Bengals to be “all pass all the time.”  That will mean more interceptions no matter who is throwing the ball.

So if the QB is hitting passes, moving the chains and scoring, you don't think the D is going to drop their LBs and safeties a little deeper? And that's not going to help the run game, having less guys in or near the box?

(10-20-2019, 09:21 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Dalton has one of the quickest releases, is one of the smartest QBs when it comes to pre snap reads, and he himself is pretty mobile. 

Dalton isn't mobile at all and it doesn't matter how quick his release is if he can't hit a receiver, at least close to in stride. Let alone throwing the ball way over their heads. 

RE: Finley after the bye week? - Destro - 10-20-2019

Ha, if you don't think there's a bunch of one time back ups that didn't make it big, you have an issue. Here are some Bengal QBs ( I'm sure there are some people may disagree with ), that didn't make it big, IMO. Dalton and Palmer might be an argument. No SB starting QB or HOF rings for any of them. I got 19 names. There's 32 teams. Many teams older than the Bengals, some have more successful, long term QBs ( GB, SF, NE ), some have constant turnover ( CLE, HOU ). I'm sure 600 people have come off the bench and not been great starters in the 100 years in the league. Don't need to list them for it to be true, but that was cute.

Virgil Carter
Wayne Clark
John Reaves
Jack Thompson
Turk Schonert
Dave Walter
Adrian Breen
Donald Hollas
Erik Wilhelm
David Klingler ( actually had high hopes, myself )
Jeff Blake
Jay Schroeder
Paul Justin
Scott Mitchell
Jon Kitna
Gus Frerotte
Ryan Fitzpatrick
AJ McCarron
Jeff Driskel

(10-20-2019, 09:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Did you watch the preseason? Finley was moving around the pocket like a vet. And don’t give me it was against scrubs. Avoiding a pass rush is avoiding a pass rush.

Did you see his noodle of an arm?

(10-20-2019, 09:45 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Dalton isn't mobile at all and it doesn't matter how quick his release is if he can't hit a receiver, at least close to in stride. Let alone throwing the ball way over their heads. 

Did you watch Today's game? Also when WRs are dropping passes left and right maybe it's not all on the QB.

RE: Finley after the bye week? - THE PISTONS - 10-20-2019

A lot is on Dalton. When there's no rush, he struggles. Can't win with this:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>