Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
2020 Election - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+--- Thread: 2020 Election (/Thread-2020-Election)

RE: 2020 Election - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 10-27-2020

(10-26-2020, 09:47 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: You mean like the naked power grab by the Republican Senate in 2016 to not vote on a Supreme Court nominee so they can legislate from the bench since they can’t legislate from the legislature?

We've discussed that to death, so I don't know that there's anything new to add.  Suffice to say that that move by McConnell, while sleazy and underhanded, has absolutely nothing on packing the SCOTUS or giving statehood to as many Democratic enclaves as possible.  You may disagree, but to me the difference is extreme.

RE: 2020 Election - Au165 - 10-27-2020

What would be the most shocking, but realistic, potential voting storyline for you? I read an article that said there is a real, not likely, chance Texas goes to Biden, which would be the first time since 1976 it went Democrat. That would be absolutely stunning to me. Also saw one saying we could set the highest voter turnout in a century, this would also be pretty shocking to me but welcomed.

RE: 2020 Election - fredtoast - 10-27-2020

(10-27-2020, 12:43 PM)Au165 Wrote: What would be the most shocking, but realistic, potential voting storyline for you? I read an article that said there is a real, not likely, chance Texas goes to Biden, which would be the first time since 1976 it went Democrat. That would be absolutely stunning to me. Also saw one saying we could set the highest voter turnout in a century, this would also be pretty shocking to me but welcomed.

The shift in Texas has a lot to do with demographics.  There has been a huge increase in hispanic voters.  If it does not go it goes blue this election I am pretty sure it will in the next.

But you hit the nail on the head about voter turnout.  The results from 2016 shocked a lot of people. Hopefully that will increase voter turnout this year as well in the future. 

RE: 2020 Election - BigPapaKain - 10-27-2020

(10-27-2020, 12:38 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: We've discussed that to death, so I don't know that there's anything new to add.  Suffice to say that that move by McConnell, while sleazy and underhanded, has absolutely nothing on packing the SCOTUS or giving statehood to as many Democratic enclaves as possible.  You may disagree, but to me the difference is extreme.

No taxation without representation.

Maybe if the GoP didn't consistently shit on DC and Puerto Rico, they wouldn't be 'Democratic enclaves'.

(10-27-2020, 01:38 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: No taxation without representation.

Maybe if the GoP didn't consistently shit on DC and Puerto Rico, they wouldn't be 'Democratic enclaves'.

Sure they wouldn't.  We've already discussed an easy fix for DC, make it part of Delaware, problem solved.  As for statehood for Puerto Rico, why?  Why now is an even better question.

(10-27-2020, 02:27 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Sure they wouldn't.  We've already discussed an easy fix for DC, make it part of Delaware, problem solved.  As for statehood for Puerto Rico, why?  Why now is an even better question.

And if the residents of DC want to be a state and not absorbed into another? Just **** what the people want though, right?

For Puerto Rico; why not 10 years ago? Or 20? Or whenever we started charging them taxes? I guess since it's always been wrong it'll just keep being wrong. Don't fix the problems - just ignore them because it might give the wrong side a few more votes (the thought of which sends Mitch McConnell screaming into the night).

(10-27-2020, 03:49 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: And if the residents of DC want to be a state and not absorbed into another? Just **** what the people want though, right?

They want representation right?  That's the complaint?  Being part of Delaware would solve that issue.  Or is this a case of I want what I want the way I want it or I don't want it?

Quote:For Puerto Rico; why not 10 years ago? Or 20? Or whenever we started charging them taxes? I guess since it's always been wrong it'll just keep being wrong. Don't fix the problems - just ignore them because it might give the wrong side a few more votes (the thought of which sends Mitch McConnell screaming into the night).

How is it a problem?  As has been discussed here by people other than me Puerto Rico benefits from the current situation in ways that they would not if they were a state.  Your representing this as a historic wrong that has been begging to be corrected.  It isn't, and framing it as such is disingenuous.  At least be honest about why you want it "fixed" now.  I could at least respect the honesty.

RE: 2020 Election - Belsnickel - 10-27-2020

(10-27-2020, 03:56 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: They want representation right?  That's the complaint?  Being part of Delaware would solve that issue.  Or is this a case of I want what I want the way I want it or I don't want it?

Why Delaware? The city is within Maryland and the land for it used to be a part of Maryland, as well. We took our part back a long time ago; maybe it's time for Maryland to do the same. Ninja

(10-27-2020, 03:56 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: They want representation right?  That's the complaint?  Being part of Delaware would solve that issue.  Or is this a case of I want what I want the way I want it or I don't want it?

How is it a problem?  As has been discussed here by people other than me Puerto Rico benefits from the current situation in ways that they would not if they were a state.  Your representing this as a historic wrong that has been begging to be corrected.  It isn't, and framing it as such is disingenuous.  At least be honest about why you want it "fixed" now.  I could at least respect the honesty.

I don't presume to know what the people in DC want aside from statehood - but the clamor isn't for absorption into Delaware so I assume they want to be their own state.

I'll be sure to let my friends who lived in Puerto Rico know that the reason I want statehood is completely tied up in one election and not a long standing history of being ignored as a territory by the government and that they can thank some faceless anon on a football message board who knows nothing about me, my past, or my current life for calling me out on it.

RE: 2020 Election - masterpanthera_t - 10-27-2020

(10-27-2020, 04:04 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Why Delaware? The city is within Maryland and the land for it used to be a part of Maryland, as well. We took our part back a long time ago; maybe it's time for Maryland to do the same. Ninja

I'm fairly sure he meant MD. I've read another post about this from SSF where he mentioned MD either in this or another thread.

EDIT:
I see another post just above where he doubled down on Delaware. I'll stop speaking for him. Not that that's what I try to do.

(10-27-2020, 04:04 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Why Delaware? The city is within Maryland and the land for it used to be a part of Maryland, as well. We took our part back a long time ago; maybe it's time for Maryland to do the same. Ninja

Sorry, Maryland.  I'm stupid.   Cool

(10-27-2020, 04:04 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I don't presume to know what the people in DC want aside from statehood - but the clamor isn't for absorption into Delaware so I assume they want to be their own state.

I'll be sure to let my friends who lived in Puerto Rico know that the reason I want statehood is completely tied up in one election and not a long standing history of being ignored as a territory by the government and that they can thank some faceless anon on a football message board who knows nothing about me, my past, or my current life for calling me out on it.

Cool.  My girlfriend is from Puerto Rico and she agrees with me.  It's almost like Puerto Ricans aren't a monolith or something.

(10-27-2020, 04:23 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Cool.  My girlfriend is from Puerto Rico and she agrees with me.  It's almost like Puerto Ricans aren't a monolith or something.

You mean to tell me different people have different outlooks and opinions? Shocked Pikachu face indeed.

Did she try and guess my intentions, too? Or was that all you playing Ms. Cleo?

(10-27-2020, 04:08 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: I'm fairly sure he meant MD. I've read another post about this from SSF where he mentioned MD either in this or another thread.

EDIT:
I see another post just above where he doubled down on Delaware. I'll stop speaking for him. Not that that's what I try to do.

He mis-types A LOT when he's triggered.

RE: 2020 Election - bfine32 - 10-27-2020

(10-27-2020, 04:23 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Cool.  My girlfriend is from Puerto Rico and she agrees with me.  It's almost like Puerto Ricans aren't a monolith or something.

Joe Biden:
Unlike black folk, Hispanics are diverse

(10-27-2020, 04:26 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: You mean to tell me different people have different outlooks and opinions? Shocked Pikachu face indeed.

Did she try and guess my intentions, too? Or was that all you playing Ms. Cleo?

I don't recall guessing your intentions.  Please direct me to that post.  

RE: 2020 Election - GMDino - 10-27-2020

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-10-27/trump-pulls-florida-ads-as-cash-poor-campaign-enters-final-week?sref=tnnADZyt

Quote:President Donald Trump’s campaign has all but pulled its advertising out of Florida, as it stakes its relatively small bank account on the industrial northern states that carried him to victory in 2016.

Since the beginning of the fall campaign on Labor Day, Trump has cut $24 million from his national ad budget, while former Vice President Joe Biden has added $197 million. Biden has outspent Trump three-to-one over that time.

Trump is now placing his final bet on just four battleground states: Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio and Pennsylvania. Polls show he’s down in all those states but Ohio, where it’s effectively even.

The president still has $350,275 budgeted to spend on ads in Florida through Election Day, but has canceled $5.5 million in the final two weeks of the campaign, according to data compiled from ad-tracking firm Advertising Analytics.

The Trump campaign says its organizational strength in Florida will carry it into Trump’s column on Election Night as Republicans get more in-person voters to the polls.
‘Ground Game’
[/url]

[url=https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-10-27/biden-makes-closing-argument-in-once-reliably-republican-georgia?in_source=postr_story_0]Biden Makes Closing Argument in Once Reliably Republican Georgia

Wisconsin Democrats Urge Voters to ‘Hand-Deliver’ Ballots After Supreme Court Ruling
Trump Screaming-Flowers Ad Skirts Facebook Rule: Campaign Update
White House Ditches Pre-Election Stimulus Hope, Sees Weeks to Go

“You have to have a ground game. Joe Biden does not have one. The president does,” Trump communications director Tim Murtaugh said in a phone call with reporters Tuesday. “That’s why you saw the president close the gap in Florida.”

Biden and Trump are effectively tied in the RealClearPolitics average of polls for the state.

About 312,000 more registered Republicans have voted in person in Florida than registered Democrats since early voting began a week ago. But Democrats lead by more than 615,000 votes in mail-in voting, according to the U.S. Elections Project, giving Democrats a 41.8% to 37.1% overall advantage.

“Florida is going to go the president’s way,” Murtaugh said.

The Biden campaign has added $41 million to its ad budget in the home stretch, pouring more money into every battleground state except Texas. Through Election Day, the campaign has budgeted $8.3 million in Florida, $7.1 million in Pennsylvania, $5.3 million in Michigan and $4.9 million in North Carolina.

In the final week, Biden is set to outspend Trump in every battleground state except for Minnesota and Ohio, where Biden still maintains an overall advantage.

(10-27-2020, 04:27 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: He mis-types A LOT when he's triggered.

Now who's guessing someone's intentions?  Cool

(10-27-2020, 04:35 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don't recall guessing your intentions.  Please direct me to that post.  

(10-27-2020, 04:57 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Now who's guessing someone's intentions?  Cool

Noting a trend isn't guessing intentions.