Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2020 Election
Here is a good article I read, this morning: https://theconversation.com/election-violence-in-november-heres-what-the-research-says-146548

Tl;dr: while there are certainly many concerns about violence in the wake of the election, research shows that the likelihood for it is not very high. Based upon the indicators from other countries and our own, the possibility is not non-existent, but it isn't very likely that there will be election violence like some people are fearing.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 11:17 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Here is a good article I read, this morning: https://theconversation.com/election-violence-in-november-heres-what-the-research-says-146548

Tl;dr: while there are certainly many concerns about violence in the wake of the election, research shows that the likelihood for it is not very high. Based upon the indicators from other countries and our own, the possibility is not non-existent, but it isn't very likely that there will be election violence like some people are fearing.

I've always been of the opinion that election results related violence fears were overblown.  It's the post election actions causing violence that I'm most concerned about.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 11:29 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I've always been of the opinion that election results related violence fears were overblown.  It's the post election actions causing violence that I'm most concerned about.

Could you expand on this a little bit? I'm not really understanding what you're saying here.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 11:31 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Could you expand on this a little bit? I'm not really understanding what you're saying here.

I should have been more clear.  Actions such as packing the SCOTUS, giving statehood to DC, etc.  Essentially any post election action that seeks to solidify and entrench a "from now on" advantage.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 11:46 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I should have been more clear.  Actions such as packing the SCOTUS, giving statehood to DC, etc.  Essentially any post election action that seeks to solidify and entrench a "from now on" advantage.

Ok, I get what you're saying, now. I don't think there is a higher chance of those kicking off violence, myself. But, that all depends on how things shake out. I can see different scenarios based on different election results (split vs. unified Congress, etc.).

Reply/Quote
I agree with the statement that this is a disgrace: https://apnews.com/article/election-2020-marty-walsh-boston-elections-crime-3d9dd32292187df91d73cb153b9c0a73

Quote:A fire was set Sunday in a Boston ballot drop box holding more than 120 ballots in what Massachusetts election officials said appears to have been a “deliberate attack,” now under investigation by the FBI.

The fire that was set around 4 a.m. in a ballot drop box outside the Boston Public Library downtown, Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth William Galvin’s office said.

There were 122 ballots inside the box when it was emptied Sunday morning, and 87 of them were still legible and able to be processed, Galvin’s office said. The box had last been emptied around 2:30 p.m. on Saturday.

In a joint statement, Galvin and Boston Mayor Marty Walsh called it a “disgrace to democracy, a disrespect to the voters fulfilling their civic duty, and a crime.”

“Our first and foremost priority is maintaining the integrity of our elections process and ensuring transparency and trust with our voters, and any effort to undermine or tamper with that process must be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law,” they said in the emailed statement. “We ask voters not to be intimidated by this bad act, and remain committed to making their voices heard in this and every election.”

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 03:22 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I know, right!  

Biden was only asked one basic question about the emails by that CBS reporter.

Talk about a snowflake getting triggered and snapping that quickly by so little!

He got triggered over the size of his rallies. LOL

Beta.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 12:14 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I agree with the statement that this is a disgrace: https://apnews.com/article/election-2020-marty-walsh-boston-elections-crime-3d9dd32292187df91d73cb153b9c0a73

Trump's willingness to turn people against democracy is unsettling. And yes, I'm assuming on this one.  Maybe another country will liberate us. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 11:46 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I should have been more clear.  Actions such as packing the SCOTUS, giving statehood to DC, etc.  Essentially any post election action that seeks to solidify and entrench a "from now on" advantage.

You mean like the naked power grab by the Republican Senate in 2016 to not vote on a Supreme Court nominee so they can legislate from the bench since they can’t legislate from the legislature?
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 09:47 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: You mean like the naked power grab by the Republican Senate in 2016 to not vote on a Supreme Court nominee so they can legislate from the bench since they can’t legislate from the legislature?

It's only bad if the other side of the aisle performs a power grab.
Reply/Quote
Please discuss issues and not hyperbole of "the other side".

If you have nothing to contribute on the topic, go ahead and go post on http://thebrownsboard.com/ . Have some class; you don't post in Cleveland.
Reply/Quote
So McConnel has essentially punted on doing anything until after the election. Saw someone earlier basically say it's a delay tactic to see what shakes of with the election. If the Democrats win they will just scorch earth things until Biden takes over then they will use the massive stimulus deal they (Democrats) undoubtedly will have to pass after he is in office to pull us out of the next 3 months of no stimulus as a way to get the party back to fiscal conservativism or basically complaining about all the money being spent and "Communism".

It really does seem like it may be a "shoot the hostages" situation for the GOP if they lose the Presidency and the Senate. Try to cause as much havoc as possible on the way out to situate the party better in a post Trump era going forward.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 08:37 AM)Au165 Wrote: So McConnel has essentially punted on doing anything until after the election. Saw someone earlier basically say it's a delay tactic to see what shakes of with the election. If the Democrats win they will just scorch earth things until Biden takes over then they will use the massive stimulus deal they (Democrats) undoubtedly will have to pass after he is in office to pull us out of the next 3 months of no stimulus as a way to get the party back to fiscal conservativism or basically complaining about all the money being spent and "Communism".

It really does seem like it may be a "shoot the hostages" situation for the GOP if they lose the Presidency and the Senate. Try to cause as much havoc as possible on the way out to situate the party better in a post Trump era going forward.

Yeah, and that’s when Republicans and Fox News will start complaining about deficits and debt again.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 01:40 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: He got triggered over the size of his rallies. LOL

Beta.

Yes, Biden is for sure a Beta.  I agree!

Biden has a few people gather; not rallies.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 09:06 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Yes, Biden is for sure a Beta.  I agree!

Biden has a few people gather; not rallies.

[Image: InfantileIdealisticLeonberger-size_restricted.gif]

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 09:10 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: [Image: InfantileIdealisticLeonberger-size_restricted.gif]

Homerun baby!!!
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 09:46 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Homerun baby!!!

Is this Jared Kushner's burner account?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 09:59 AM)GMDino Wrote: Is this Jared Kushner's burner account?

Maybe.     Ninja
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 09:59 AM)GMDino Wrote: Is this Jared Kushner's burner account?

(10-27-2020, 10:03 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Maybe.     Ninja

That would explain a lot.

(10-23-2020, 12:28 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Of course it happens.  There are bad people in all professions.  Does not mean the entire profession is systemically racist.

They also have to police violent, high crime areas that are made up of a huge minority population.  Of course bad things are going to happen occasionally.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 09:46 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Homerun baby!!!

Alternate stats! 
Reply/Quote