Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread (/Thread-The-Ja-Marr-Chase-Thread)

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Millhouse - 08-30-2021

(08-30-2021, 12:17 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think there is always going to be a natural QB class rivalry with fans.  Look at a recent QB class...Josh Allen is currently the best QB in that class and off the top of my head the Browns, Jets, Giants, and Broncos all have fanbases that probably wish they had him.  Would he have been as successful there?  Would Mahommes have been as successful if he were taken by Chicago and Trubisky went to the Chiefs?

These are the things we can but ponder FOREVERRRRRRR.

Exactly, because the talent of a QB can only go so far depending on what players, coaches, and overall franchise makeup surrounds them. 

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Millhouse - 08-30-2021

At this point with the Chase pick, I just don't know. Could be a great pick or just as easily be a massive overreach for a decent receiver down the road. Again just dont know much of anything yet, which in large part is due to last year of him not playing. Just is what it is right now, but I suspect we will have a better idea by the second half of the season.

In my opinion starting the season out, I would roll with Higgins, Boyd, and Tate(?) as my top 3 receivers, rotating Chase in. I wouldn't start him anytime soon tho until he actually starts to show why they took him 5th overall.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - jj22 - 08-30-2021

(08-30-2021, 12:09 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Right.  This weird QB rivalry with Chargers fans makes zero sense to me.  I guess they need people to think that they actually got the best QB in last year's draft class.

Cool moral victory, I guess!  We're plenty happy with our guy.  

I agree. I mean I hate to see Herbert get more accolades and praise then Burrow as the top QB of the 2020 draft, but the true team that deserves criticism is Miami. The regret should be between the Tua and Herbert pick.

Looking back on it a boatload of picks and Herbert would have made us a Superbowl team, but passing on Burrow for Herbert even with the blockbuster trade would have been outrageous in real time (Maybe not "outrageous" but certainly more of a gamble then we now know would have been). So Bengals shouldn't be faulted too much for the miss. Miami on the other hand..... 

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - jj22 - 08-30-2021

If you think the Herbert vs Burrow talk was something, wait to the Chase -vs - Waddle talk picks up.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Big Boss - 08-30-2021

(08-30-2021, 12:51 PM)jj22 Wrote: I agree. I mean I hate to see Herbert get more accolades and praise then Burrow as the top QB of the 2020 draft, but the true team that deserves criticism is Miami. The regret should be between the Tua and Herbert pick.

Looking back on it a boatload of picks and Herbert would have made us a Superbowl team, but passing on Burrow for Herbert even with the blockbuster trade would have been outrageous in real time (Maybe not "outrageous" but certainly more of a gamble then we now know would have been). So Bengals shouldn't be faulted too much for the miss. Miami on the other hand..... 

Right.  Burrow was the consensus #1 pick.  And while he might not have the arm that Herbert has, he has all the intangibles you could want.

I'm glad we took Burrow.  
Herbert had a more impressive rookie season (Burrow's injury notwithstanding).  

Both things can be true at once.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - bfine32 - 08-30-2021

(08-30-2021, 09:55 AM)Whatever Wrote: Saw Sewell graded 35.3 in the Lions preseason finale, the lowest of any offensive player on the team.  He has the 3rd lowest grade through the entirety of preseason.

Talk is they're hoping he'll block well when no defender is around him.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Nicomo Cosca - 08-30-2021

(08-30-2021, 03:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Talk is they're hoping he'll block well when no defender is around him.

When a bad joke doesn’t land the first time, try it again!

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - bfine32 - 08-30-2021

(08-30-2021, 03:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: When a bad joke doesn’t land the first time, try it again!

My recent rep disagrees...but no need to brag.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Nicomo Cosca - 08-30-2021

(08-30-2021, 03:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: My recent rep disagrees...but no need to brag.

Your posts to rep ratio is certainly nothing to brag about, I agree with you there. Tongue

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Shake n Blake - 08-30-2021

(08-30-2021, 01:31 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Nah, I have it on good authority that they’re done with this WR experiment for him. Apparently he’s being converted to long snapper.

Brad St Louis 2.0

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - BengalsRocker - 08-30-2021

(08-30-2021, 12:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I think both Bengals and Chargers fans should be very happy with their QB choices.

I'm just using your a post to pose this question.

Would the Chargers be happy with Burrow whilst us Bengals fan had Herbert with a blown up knee?

It just would've been a different QB with the same scenario if that's the bar for comparison.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - TheFan - 08-30-2021

(08-30-2021, 12:47 PM)Millhouse Wrote: At this point with the Chase pick, I just don't know. Could be a great pick or just as easily be a massive overreach for a decent receiver down the road. Again just dont know much of anything yet, which in large part is due to last year of him not playing. Just is what it is right now, but I suspect we will have a better idea by the second half of the season.

In my opinion starting the season out, I would roll with Higgins, Boyd, and Tate(?) as my top 3 receivers, rotating Chase in. I wouldn't start him anytime soon tho until he actually starts to show why they took him 5th overall.

What has Tate done to deserve starting over Chase? I mean obviously if he continues to suck in real games for an extended period we should start looking elsewhere. But a 4th year player who has already done very little with his previous 3 years over the 5th overall pick? I mean come on. These takes. 

We already saw Tate with extended playing time in 2019 and he barely had a 50% catch rate. For those of you keeping track that was basically the same as John Ross when he saw extended playing time. The same person many here are dogging Chase about.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Nately120 - 08-30-2021

(08-30-2021, 08:12 PM)TheFan Wrote: What has Tate done to deserve starting over Chase?

Caught the football.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - TheFan - 08-30-2021

(08-30-2021, 08:12 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Caught the football.

John Ross and Auden Tate had the same catch % in 2019. Neither really played in 2020.

Tate had 33% catch rate his first year in the league.

Next?

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - BengalsRocker - 08-30-2021

(08-30-2021, 08:25 PM)TheFan Wrote: John Ross and Auden Tate had the same catch % in 2019. Neither really played in 2020.

Tate had 33% catch rate his first year in the league.

Next?

Hell I'd play Irwin over Tate at this point.  At least he's somewhat versatile.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 08-30-2021

He didn’t have a problem with drops in college. I don’t anticipate drops being a problem for him in the NFL. My uninformed opinion is he just needs to settle down and stop pressing and it will come back like riding a bike.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - SunsetBengal - 08-30-2021

That long haired boy on the back end of the depth chart? You know, the one who snagged the ball, got absolutely blasted, yet still held onto the ball and mean mugged the defender?

Yeah, don't cut that guy just yet. The coaches could use him to teach the prima donnas a thing or two about courage in the face of adversity..

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - chopperbobby - 08-30-2021

With the bengals track record with 1st round picks. The odds say yes.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Murdock2420 - 08-30-2021

(08-30-2021, 12:54 PM)jj22 Wrote: If you think the Herbert vs Burrow talk was something, wait to the Chase -vs - Waddle talk picks up.

Herbert v Burrow is just Fouts v Anderson 2.0

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Destro - 08-31-2021

(08-30-2021, 11:57 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Herbert v Burrow is just Fouts v Anderson 2.0

I'd rather have it be like Manning vs. Rivers. Some Super Bowls versus 14 kids.