Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread (/Thread-The-Ja-Marr-Chase-Thread)

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - BengalChris - 08-31-2021

(08-31-2021, 10:31 AM)jj22 Wrote: Chase isn't even a top 5 receiver on this team based on what we've seen.

Don't you think it's a bit early to claim he's so low?

He just needs to practice his catching more, which, if he's a professional then he'll do it and work it all out.

If he's really just a child in an adult body then he'll waste his opportunity. Now way to know at this point. We'll have to wait and see.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - R3stangs - 08-31-2021

(08-31-2021, 04:54 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Don't you think it's a bit early to claim he's so low?

He just needs to practice his catching more, which, if he's a professional then he'll do it and work it all out.

If he's really just a child in an adult body then he'll waste his opportunity. Now way to know at this point. We'll have to wait and see.

Well sure. But isn't that what he's been doing in several months worth of training camp and still can't catch? 

This year off seems to have impacted him more than we'd like to think. 

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - TheFan - 08-31-2021

(08-31-2021, 04:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Tate may be over rated by many fans here, but he is as good as any of the other WRS we have after the top 3.

I agree. 

(08-31-2021, 05:51 PM)R3stangs Wrote: Well sure. But isn't that what he's been doing in several months worth of training camp and still can't catch? 

This year off seems to have impacted him more than we'd like to think. 

He's had to learn the offense and get the rust off.

He should be doing better than he is though.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - jfkbengals - 08-31-2021

(08-31-2021, 04:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Chase just needs to settle down, he will be fine once he catches his first ball in the regular season.

Dude has damn good hands, he is just adjusting to the NFL after a full year off.

AJ Green has(had?) some of the best hands I've ever seen, but after a year+ off struggled to catch the ball...

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 08-31-2021

(08-31-2021, 09:56 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: AJ Green has(had?) some of the best hands I've ever seen, but after a year+ off struggled to catch the ball...

Yep, it takes time to adjust after a year off. Chase will get it down.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - jfkbengals - 08-31-2021

(08-31-2021, 10:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yep, it takes time to adjust after a year off. Chase will get it down.

We hope, but AJ had a superstar career prior to his troubles that let people know that rust was the problem.  Chase is entering the league with a problem that can cause him to lose confidence and overthink everything right out of the gates.

(08-31-2021, 10:15 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: We hope, but AJ had a superstar career prior to his troubles that let people know that rust was the problem.  Chase is entering the league with a problem that can cause him to lose confidence and overthink everything right out of the gates.

True, I think Ja'Marr has a very good supporting cast though that will get him on track and a good WR coach in Walters.

We will see, I don't see a John Ross in him who was weak mentally. Think once he starts catching balls in real games all the 
uncertainty will fade away and he will start to dominate Corners like he did a couple years ago. He didn't play against punks 
in his record breaking year.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Nicomo Cosca - 08-31-2021

(08-31-2021, 10:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, I think Ja'Marr has a very good supporting cast though that will get him on track and a good WR coach in Walters.

We will see, I don't see a John Ross in him who was weak mentally. Think once he starts catching balls in real games all the 
uncertainty will fade away and he will start to dominate Corners like he did a couple years ago. He didn't play against punks 
in his record breaking year.

Chase also has the luxury of having Burrow, and doesn’t have quite as much pressure on him right out of the gate because of Tee and Boyd. I mean, there’s still a ton of pressure from just being a top 5 pick, but he’s on a team with 2 very good WR’s. He’s not going to have to carry the passing game by himself. And Tee is probably going to be seeing all the CB1’s for awhile.

(08-31-2021, 10:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Chase also has the luxury of having Burrow, and doesn’t have quite as much pressure on him right out of the gate because of Tee and Boyd. I mean, there’s still a ton of pressure from just being a top 5 pick, but he’s on a team with 2 very good WR’s. He’s not going to have to carry the passing game by himself. And Tee is probably going to be seeing all the CB1’s for awhile.

Agreed, Chase is in a better position than Ross and is stronger mentally. He will get it down with Burrow, sure of it.

Couldn't have a better vet than Boyd and a better strong young Wideout than Tee to take the pressure off.

(08-31-2021, 10:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agreed, Chase is in a better position than Ross and is stronger mentally. He will get it down with Burrow, sure of it.

Couldn't have a better vet than Boyd and a better strong young Wideout than Tee to take the pressure off.

Dalton happened to be good enough for AJ Green to be a superstar right out of the gate.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - rfaulk34 - 09-01-2021

(08-31-2021, 01:44 PM)jj22 Wrote: Why can't I be shocked at the notion someone falsely accused me of saying he should be cut? I never said we should cut him? Either way not sure what this response had to do with the post you quoted me on. Can you elaborate why it triggered you so? Even alluding to my "intelligent football management" style (I guess if I was in charge) mocking a notion I never even stated.

If you're going to say he's not even a top 5 WR, then you may as well have said he should be cut. 

Those statements, in relation to Chase, are equal in terms of intelligent thought. 

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Benton - 09-01-2021

Pundits were right about Chases ability to get separation.

Unfortunately, the separation he gets is between his hands and the ball.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Sled21 - 09-01-2021

"Moving the Chains" is still talking about Chase being one of about 5 in the running to be OROY. Jim and Pat seem to think it's overblown and he will get past it no problem.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - jj22 - 09-01-2021

(09-01-2021, 12:10 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If you're going to say he's not even a top 5 WR, then you may as well have said he should be cut. 

Those statements, in relation to Chase, are equal in terms of intelligent thought. 

Based off of what we've seen this preseason who is your top 6 receivers....

That's what I am waiting for folks to answer. And I want to know what they are basing his ranking off of. Shouldn't be 2019 production, and shouldn't be practive given he had 4 good days we heard out of 19 practices.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Big_Ern - 09-01-2021

(09-01-2021, 09:13 AM)jj22 Wrote: Based off of what we've seen this preseason who is your top 6 receivers....

That's what I am waiting for folks to answer. And I want to know what they are basing his ranking off of. Shouldn't be 2019 production, and shouldn't be practive given he had 4 good days we heard out of 19 practices.
Have you been at every practice and watched every drill? 

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - KillerGoose - 09-01-2021

(09-01-2021, 09:36 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: Have you been at every practice and watched every drill? 

Practice has no impact on who the actual best receivers on the team are. What I mean by that is if Davante Adams tore up practice every single day but he was only averaging 600 yards per season, no one would think about him the way that they do.

Practice IS important, but if the only argument that you have for a player is “well, he’s doing well in practice” then that is a really weak argument. Chase looked awful this preseason. That being said, I’m a believer in Chase and I think he will turn it around.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - jj22 - 09-01-2021

(09-01-2021, 09:36 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: Have you been at every practice and watched every drill? 

I've gotten all the reports that we've all gotten from those who have and the reports as stated early in this thread were all about his struggles to separate and drops. Some from the mothership (Hobspin) itself. 

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - R3stangs - 09-01-2021

(09-01-2021, 08:15 AM)Sled21 Wrote: "Moving the Chains" is still talking about Chase being one of about 5 in the running to be OROY. Jim and Pat seem to think it's overblown and he will get past it no problem.

He's going to get his time to get past this just based on his draft position. I think the bigger question that people are really trying to get to is do they give him that time during actual games? 

How much leeway are they going to give him if this continues in actual games? Pretty sure this team can't afford many mistakes and when you have other (less talented) guys who are actually catching the ball it would be hard for me to leave him on the field. 

I believe he'll be fine in time. It does baffle me though that guys who've been doing this most of their lives struggle like this with a few months off. And even though he took that time off was he not catching a football any of that time?

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Big_Ern - 09-01-2021

(09-01-2021, 10:15 AM)jj22 Wrote: I've gotten all the reports that we've all gotten from those who have and the reports as stated early in this thread were all about his struggles to separate and drops. Some from the mothership (Hobspin) itself. 

Been plenty of good reports too, plenty.