Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread (/Thread-The-Ja-Marr-Chase-Thread)

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Frank Booth - 09-01-2021

(09-01-2021, 09:42 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: “Cincys 3rd option” indicates he struggles. Like you said, you wouldn’t draft a guy #5 OA to have him not be the #1 receiving option. So, some crow should be served when he is that #1 threat on the team right?

Let me guess, I’m a fanboy… no, I just see the skill set and college production to have faith he’s going to do well pretty quickly. Not gonna buy in on 5 preseason targets…

It’s ok, you can continue your regularly scheduled angsty tirades against posters and players. Have fun Frankie.

Jamarr being the 3 in this offense doesnt mean he's a bust though.

I think cincy will have the league's 2nd or 3rd best WR trio. A real possibility all 3 reach 1000 yards. Prob wont happen though.

I think Jamarr finishes with 700-800 yards. Boyd and Higgins get 1000. 

Chase took a year off football

Boyd and Higgins are more primed

DOES THAT MAKE ME A HATER??

Like I said, sharpen up.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - rfaulk34 - 09-01-2021

This thread should be a lot of fun in a couple months.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Frank Booth - 09-01-2021

(09-01-2021, 09:57 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: This thread should be a lot of fun in a couple months.

yea a lot of people putting words in other people's mouths ALREADY occuring

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Nicomo Cosca - 09-01-2021

(09-01-2021, 09:42 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I know Ja’Marr has problems catching the football. I’m hopeful this problem will resolve itself with more reps in real games.

That’s some in depth analysis right there. But if you actually think he’s really just a one trick pony, and merely a speed guy then you know nothing about the type of WR he is.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Benton - 09-01-2021

(09-01-2021, 09:42 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I know Ja’Marr has problems catching the football

Which is, like, ok if he's any other position than the one whose only job is catching the ball.

(09-01-2021, 10:04 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s some in depth analysis right there. But if you actually think he’s really just a one trick pony, and merely a speed guy then you know nothing about the type of WR he is.

I dunno what he is, other than a guy who can't catch passes. Easy passes, hard passes. Short passes, moderate passes.

Luckily, his job isn't catching passes.

(09-01-2021, 09:51 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Based off pre season performance is absurd. He may look all world in practice. Lets see what he does in regular season before we jump to any conclusion. btw Rice was considered a bust after his rookie year

Ok, you want to compare him to one of the GOAT then at least give me a link. 

I don't know wtf you're talking about in regard to Rice.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - jj22 - 09-01-2021

(09-01-2021, 09:51 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: btw Rice was considered a bust after his rookie year

But was he considered a bust before his rookie year.... 

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Nicomo Cosca - 09-02-2021

(09-01-2021, 11:23 PM)Benton Wrote: Ok, you want to compare him to one of the GOAT then at least give me a link. 

I don't know wtf you're talking about in regard to Rice.

His early struggles are well documented, and can be confirmed with about 10 seconds worth of googling…

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2006/too-deep-zone-jerry-rice-rookie-bust

https://www.espn.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/36670/jerry-rice-julio-jones-and-dropped-passes

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - JaggedJimmyJay - 09-02-2021

Saying a lower draft pick or UDFA would be cut after dropping numerous passes isn’t some remarkable insight. It may be true.

It’s meaningless. It’s irrelevant. Is anyone saying Chase has played well in the preseason? He was drafted high and is starting rough. We can either throw a fit or just let it play out.

Choosing the former is straight up clown behavior. Five preseason targets is not a meaningful sample of anything. Show me an extended statistical stretch in games that matter. Until then it’s just wait and see. Negativity about it is worthless captain obvious nonsense, and positivity about it is worthless ostrich burrowing.

We have no clue. We have nothing approaching sufficient evidence of a clue. We have five targets in vanilla playcalls of games that don’t count.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - bengalfan74 - 09-02-2021

(09-02-2021, 02:48 AM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Saying a lower draft pick or UDFA would be cut after dropping numerous passes isn’t some remarkable insight. It may be true.

It’s meaningless. It’s irrelevant. Is anyone saying Chase has played well in the preseason? He was drafted high and is starting rough. We can either throw a fit or just let it play out.

Choosing the former is straight up clown behavior. Five preseason targets is not a meaningful sample of anything. Show me an extended statistical stretch in games that matter. Until then it’s just wait and see. Negativity about it is worthless captain obvious nonsense, and positivity about it is worthless ostrich burrowing.

We have no clue. We have nothing approaching sufficient evidence of a clue. We have five targets in vanilla playcalls of games that don’t count.

Exactly

It's waaaayyyyy to early to start reading into what's going on, what the problem is, he's a bust, or whatever.

Now if we're 5 games into the season and he still can catch a cold, ummmmm

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Wes Mantooth - 09-02-2021

Every year I hate the preseason just a little bit more.  

It kind of reminds me of politics heading into the primaries.  No matter how many times people have lived through them they get ahead of themeselves.  And no matter how many times you try to tell someone it's way too early and there's still a lot of candidates, they're going to overreact to some meaningless piece of news.  

"Did you see this article on Howard Dean?  He's got this in the bag."  "Polling says Jeb Bush is a lock."  "Looks, like it's going to be Clinton vs. McCain."

How many times can people do this?  "Player X is going to be awesome this year."  Yeah, well guess what?  Player X sucked.  "Our defense is going to be strong!" Our defense finished 31st in the league.  "Michael Jordan was a steal in the 4th round!"  Michael Jordan is off the team after only two seasons.

Quit pretending like the preseason tells you exactly what is going to happen.  I mean, Jesus Christ, Jamarr Chase was a consensus top 10 pick.  The dude runs a 4.3 and had 1,700 yards and 20 TD's in a single college season.  And you're going to take digs at him based on 5 targets in the preseason?  Seriously?  5 measly little targets, and from two different QB's, and coming off of sitting out a year????  At least let the guy get a few REAL games under his belt before you start to speculate.  

The worst thing about all of this is we'll be right back here next year, with people putting way too much stock into exhibition football that's about as authentic as the Harlem Globetrotters.  They never learn.  

I know people are starved for football and everyone likes a good discussion but this has gotta stop.  We've had HUNDREDS of posts about a guy who we should all be excited to see play and most of them are negative.  Every team and every fanbase in the league would be doing cartwheels if Jamarr Chase was soemhow on their roster tomorrow.  Yet here we sit, ripping the dude based on 5 targets.  That's just silly.

/rantover

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - jj22 - 09-02-2021

(09-02-2021, 02:48 AM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Saying a lower draft pick or UDFA would be cut after dropping numerous passes isn’t some remarkable insight. It may be true.

It wasn't just preseason. The practices were so bad (up until the final 4) even Hobspin had to discuss his struggles. Everyone covering training camp practices had a lot to say about his drops and separation issues. It was right up there with the Burrow return from injury coverage. If Burrow wasn't returning from injury taking up some of the focus, Chase's struggles would have dominated the camp reviews.

So to the "it was only 5 targets in preseason" crowd. You guys just haven't been paying much attention.

Chase was the big disappointment of the offseason. The preseason games just confirmed what everyone was hearing.

(09-01-2021, 09:57 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: This thread should be a lot of fun in a couple months.

We can only hope (assuming you think the issues will be behind him). 

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Nicomo Cosca - 09-02-2021

(09-02-2021, 09:25 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Every year I hate the preseason just a little bit more.  

It kind of reminds me of politics heading into the primaries.  No matter how many times people have lived through them they get ahead of themeselves.  And no matter how many times you try to tell someone it's way too early and there's still a lot of candidates, they're going to overreact to some meaningless piece of news.  

"Did you see this article on Howard Dean?  He's got this in the bag."  "Polling says Jeb Bush is a lock."  "Looks, like it's going to be Clinton vs. McCain."

How many times can people do this?  "Player X is going to be awesome this year."  Yeah, well guess what?  Player X sucked.  "Our defense is going to be strong!" Our defense finished 31st in the league.  "Michael Jordan was a steal in the 4th round!"  Michael Jordan is off the team after only two seasons.

Quit pretending like the preseason tells you exactly what is going to happen.  I mean, Jesus Christ, Jamarr Chase was a consensus top 10 pick.  The dude runs a 4.3 and had 1,700 yards and 20 TD's in a single college season.  And you're going to take digs at him based on 5 targets in the preseason?  Seriously?  5 measly little targets, and from two different QB's, and coming off of sitting out a year????  At least let the guy get a few REAL games under his belt before you start to speculate.  

The worst thing about all of this is we'll be right back here next year, with people putting way too much stock into exhibition football that's about as authentic as the Harlem Globetrotters.  They never learn.  

I know people are starved for football and everyone likes a good discussion but this has gotta stop.  We've had HUNDREDS of posts about a guy who we should all be excited to see play and most of them are negative.  Every team and every fanbase in the league would be doing cartwheels if Jamarr Chase was soemhow on their roster tomorrow.  Yet here we sit, ripping the dude based on 5 targets.  That's just silly.

/rantover

[Image: BeautifulDetailedJanenschia-size_restricted.gif]

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Nately120 - 09-02-2021

This thread is going to explode one way or another as soon as JN opens after game 1.  It's just a crying shame we aren't playing the Lions. 

Oh I'm sure someone will be watching Sewell, pointing out his struggles seems to comfort some around here (understandably).

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Big_Ern - 09-02-2021

Good breakdown of his preseason routes.

https://youtu.be/eijsDiEB2E0

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - JaggedJimmyJay - 09-02-2021

(09-02-2021, 09:36 AM)jj22 Wrote: It wasn't just preseason. The practices were so bad (up until the final 4) even Hobspin had to discuss his struggles. Everyone covering training camp practices had a lot to say about his drops and separation issues. It was right up there with the Burrow return from injury coverage. If Burrow wasn't returning from injury taking up some of the focus, Chase's struggles would have dominated the camp reviews.

So to the "it was only 5 targets in preseason" crowd. You guys just haven't been paying much attention.

Chase was the big disappointment of the offseason. The preseason games just confirmed what everyone was hearing.

Chase had good practices before the final 4. He had *great* practices in the final 4. He had dropsie days, and he had days making tough snags over Awuzie, or scoring three touchdowns, or streaking deep.

Remove the preseason games and Chase is a rookie showing inconsistent flashes in his first camp. That would be and should be a big fat yawn. People would still "talk about it", because people talk about quite literally everything in the age of podcasts galore. Even the same reporters "talking about it" with the games also in mind are almost to a person saying things like "I still don't care", or "we'll see what happens in the regular season" or "if this is still happening five weeks in then I'll be worried" etc -- because those are just the obvious mindsets that apply.

Just the same on the other side, "Jerry Rice started his career like a doofus" is a silly argument and probably one that has been used to defend 1,000 bad receivers since Jerry's rookie year. Oh well.

We'll see.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Sled21 - 09-02-2021

Marvin always said it usually takes a WR three years to adjust to the league. Boyd took a couple, Higgins did it in one. Once again, I am sure Chase will be fine and will take defenses apart this year.