Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread (/Thread-The-Ja-Marr-Chase-Thread)

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - rfaulk34 - 09-12-2021

(09-12-2021, 11:44 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Faulk, you admit 5 sacks is too much

Burrow was limping at 1 point.

The defense held a great offense to 24 points

Minnesota has an ok defense. Bengals should’ve CRUSHED them

The offense went into lulls in certain parts of the game

This is all concerning

If it was game 8 on, yeah, i'd be concerned. I haven't watched the game yet (getting ready to), but them starting off as slow as they did doesn't surprise me at all with it being game 1. 

My biggest concern...and something i thought at the time, that also caused me to turn the game off at the end of regulation...was Zac Taylor. Going for it on 4th down from your own 30 with a 2 td lead and then calling a TO to freeze the kicker, as he misses the kick (that's what i remember Hoard saying--that it went wide). I though, "holy shit, this guy can single-handedly cause a loss, despite the talent on the field". I wasn't really upset at the fact he went for it, i was upset that Burrow, gimpy knee and all, didn't just try a QB sneak. 

That is the number 1 thing that i'm now concerned about again, after thinking that the players on the field can overcome bad coaching/play calling. 

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - BengalFanInCanada - 09-12-2021

This is all concerning

The Bengals should have crushed a team that they were 3 point underdogs against?

We ran the ball, and Burrows had by far his best QB rating ever. We had a mixed offence for a change.

The defence came up big when it mattered most, and Burrows made a clutch play which won us the game.

This was a great game. 

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - MickMack - 09-13-2021

(09-12-2021, 11:58 PM)BengalFanInCanada Wrote: The Bengals should have crushed a team that they were 3 point underdogs against?

We ran the ball, and Burrows had by far his best QB rating ever. We had a mixed offence for a change.

The defence came up big when it mattered most, and Burrows made a clutch play which won us the game.

This was a great game. 

It wasn't a great game.  First games usually aren't.  But it goes in the W column and that's all that matters.  On to Chicago and they look completely beatable.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Truck_1_0_1_ - 09-13-2021

(09-12-2021, 11:52 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If it was game 8 on, yeah, i'd be concerned. I haven't watched the game yet (getting ready to), but them starting off as slow as they did doesn't surprise me at all with it being game 1. 

My biggest concern...and something i thought at the time, that also caused me to turn the game off at the end of regulation...was Zac Taylor. Going for it on 4th down from your own 30 with a 2 td lead and then calling a TO to freeze the kicker, as he misses the kick (that's what i remember Hoard saying--that it went wide). I though, "holy shit, this guy can single-handedly cause a loss, despite the talent on the field". I wasn't really upset at the fact he went for it, i was upset that Burrow, gimpy knee and all, didn't just try a QB sneak. 

That is the number 1 thing that i'm now concerned about again, after thinking that the players on the field can overcome bad coaching/play calling. 

He made the kick; Zimmer was super-pissed.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Frank Booth - 09-13-2021

(09-12-2021, 11:52 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If it was game 8 on, yeah, i'd be concerned. I haven't watched the game yet (getting ready to), but them starting off as slow as they did doesn't surprise me at all with it being game 1. 

Yea zac taylor is a concern too.

Not even a concern, he’s a problem

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Bengalholic - 09-13-2021

This is all concerning

I don't get your fixation on this. It's like you're pissed because they didn't win in exactly the way you wanted. 

A win is a win. There will be games where the offense plays better, and ones where the defense plays better. But, at the end of the day, all I care about is how many of those games they win...whether it's pretty, ugly or somewhere in between. 

I think Burrow made a good point when he said they wouldn't have won this game last year.

(09-12-2021, 11:58 PM)BengalFanInCanada Wrote: The Bengals should have crushed a team that they were 3 point underdogs against?

Not too sure vegas knew that the extremely good minnesota offense was gonna play super flaccid against a team that hasn’t fielded a good defense in maybe 6 seasons

(09-13-2021, 12:02 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: I don't get your fixation on this. It's like you're pissed because they didn't win the way you wanted. 

A win is a win. There will be games where the offense plays better, and ones where the defense plays better. But, at the end of the day, all I care about is how many of those games they win...whether it's pretty, ugly or somewhere in between. 

I think Burrow made a good point when he said they wouldn't have won this game last year.

Of course they wouldn’t have won this game last year. The defense was terrible in 2020.

I’m happy we won but it reminded me of 2 games from last season. The colts game and browns game. Take a big lead, then offense turns ice cold

This time we won though because the defense is healthy and looks REALLY good, and we may have been given a gift from the New York replay booth

Lot of positives here, but the offense going non existent in certain parts of the games and burrow getting sacked 5 times are concerns of which I prioritize

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Squintz - 09-13-2021

(09-13-2021, 12:03 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Not too sure vegas knew that the extremely good minnesota offense was gonna play super flaccid against a team that hasn’t fielded a good defense in maybe 6 seasons

Nice deflection.

Almost like you can’t defend your own nonsense.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - TheFan - 09-13-2021

(09-13-2021, 12:08 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Of course they wouldn’t have won this game last year. The defense was terrible in 2020.

I’m happy we won but it reminded me of 2 games from last season. The colts game and browns game. Take a big lead, then offense turns ice cold

This time we won though because the defense is healthy and looks REALLY good, and we may have been given a gift from the New York replay booth

Lot of positives here, but the offense going non existent in certain parts of the games and burrow getting sacked 5 times are concerns of which I prioritize

We never want to see 5 sacks, but not all of it was on the offensive line. 

The offense woes this game seemed to be a lot more due to ZT and terrible play calling compared to the Oline getting dominated every play like last year. If ZT calls plays like he did in the 2nd quarter and not the 1st I think we'll be improved and more consistent. 

(09-13-2021, 12:25 AM)Squintz Wrote: Nice deflection.

Almost like you can’t defend your own nonsense.

Your first post was used as an attack on me?

I am honored

Squints? That’s your name? We’re gonna get along just fine you and I

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Squintz - 09-13-2021

(09-13-2021, 12:27 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Your first post was used as an attack on me?

I am honored

Squints? That’s your name? We’re gonna get along just fine you and I

Good to know, Frank.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - rfaulk34 - 09-13-2021

(09-13-2021, 12:00 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He made the kick; Zimmer was super-pissed.

Yep. I just watched the replay. I was sure i heard Hoard say it went wide...

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Shake n Blake - 09-13-2021

(09-12-2021, 08:41 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Glad that Chase caught everything and showed why he was drafted with the big TD.

Can't toot that horn too loud though on a day where Burrow was sacked 5 times and had to get a doctor to check his knee while limping.

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

1. The preseason concerns were legit. He had all kinds of drops and was talking about stripes on the side of the ball, etc.

2. This performance went a long way to start putting those concerns to bed, and he already showing why we drafted him.

3. Burrow still got pummeled, so unfortunately the basis of this entire debate lives on.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Benton - 09-13-2021

(09-13-2021, 02:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Pretty much my thoughts as well.

1. The preseason concerns were legit. He had all kinds of drops and was talking about stripes on the side of the ball, etc.

2. This performance went a long way to start putting those concerns to bed, and he already showing why we drafted him.

3. Burrow still got pummeled, so unfortunately the basis of this entire debate lives on.

Yeah, and to number three, it seems like that's going to live on for the rest of the season. The line looked better than last year's, but that's not saying much. It's going to get rough if Reiff or jonah (who both played solid Sunday) goes down.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - PhilHos - 09-13-2021

This was a great game. 

inhales deeply

THERE IS NO 'S' IN BURROW

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Stewy - 09-13-2021

(09-13-2021, 03:18 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yep. I just watched the replay. I was sure i heard Hoard say it went wide...

That's what was said, but they were wrong.  It hooked left behind the goal post, not in front.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Whatever - 09-13-2021

(09-13-2021, 02:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Pretty much my thoughts as well.

Why would the basis for this debate live on?  

Jonah, Spain, and Reiff didn't allow a pressure or a sack.  XSF allowed 2 pressures but no sacks.

Hopkins allowed 2 sacks, but Sewell doesn't play C and nobody he would have potentially displaced does, either. Mixon, Perrine, and Sample allowed the others.  In fairness, on the one Sample allowed, Burrow got to his second read and double clutched it.  

They had an effective run game.  

If there's debate, it should be why the Bengals didn't go after Corey Linsey.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Wyche'sWarrior - 09-13-2021

(09-13-2021, 12:08 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Of course they wouldn’t have won this game last year. The defense was terrible in 2020.

Well .....there was a pretty good stretch there where Higgins and Chase were out with hydration issues. I think that accounted for some of that. Then I think Zac got a little too conservative after Burrow got his ankle rolled. I really liked the balance on offense yesterday. That's a winning recipe.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 09-13-2021

Did Carmen even play?

This was supposed to be the deepest O-line draft in over a decade. "You can find starters 4 rounds deep" was what we were repeatedly told.

This is still the same starting o-line as last year with a FA tackle. This supposedly deep o-line draft, a position group that was the weakest on the team, and all they did was add backups.

Yes, I am still leaning towards regretting the Chase pick and the Cam Sample pick. This D-line didn't need a 3rd rounder added as much as the O-line could have used it. They needed a lot more on the O-line than a top rated tackle prospect.