Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Uh oh Joe Mixon - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Uh oh Joe Mixon (/Thread-Uh-oh-Joe-Mixon)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - Soonerpeace - 02-16-2023

(02-16-2023, 11:20 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Alex Smith was never an MVP capable QB. He's had a couple of efficient seasons, but has never received any MVP consideration. Alex Smith played from 2013-2017 in KC, and an average season from him would be 3,942 yards, 22 TDs, 7 INTs, 94 passer rating. Also, Kingsbury didn't get fired from Tech until 2018, two years after Mahomes left. After Mahomes' up and down freshman campaign, he averaged 4800 yards and 39 TDs per season for his college career, capping it off by winning the Sammy Baugh trophy in 2016. He's been pretty good for a while. 

Well we know Andy Reid is a HOF coach but some seem to forget that the now heralded owner Jeff Lurie fired him after going 4-12.

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - reuben.ahmed - 02-17-2023

I agree I'd rather have Mixon's dollars in the offensive line, but KC still has Kelce and Juju showed up in the Super Bowl. I think a stronger line will benefit Burrow (of course) and also a more average running back would perform at least as well behind that line as Mixon is behind the current one.

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - TecmoBengals - 02-17-2023

(02-17-2023, 12:38 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I agree I'd rather have Mixon's dollars in the offensive line, but KC still has Kelce and Juju showed up in the Super Bowl. I think a stronger line will benefit Burrow (of course) and also a more average running back would perform at least as well behind that line as Mixon is behind the current one.

Right on.

1) Burrow
2) Chase
3) OL
4) Better back

That's the formula I'd try if I were Duke and Zac to get over the next hump to win the Super Bowl.

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - Go Cards - 02-17-2023

(02-14-2023, 03:22 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Yep just like Jimmy Johnson his first year winning 1 game. It took a #1 pick at QB to get things rolling to winning a couple Super Bowls and HOF career

Truth, but few will recall that Johnson hedged his bet at the QB position in that draft. 

He took Troy Aikman with the first pick and then drafted Steve Walsh who he had coached at the Miami Hurricanes in the 1st round supplemental draft.

Jimmy immediately announced that there would be a camp battle between the two and the loser would be moved on from the following year.  

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - Soonerpeace - 02-18-2023

(02-17-2023, 09:35 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Truth, but few will recall that Johnson hedged his bet at the QB position in that draft. 

He took Troy Aikman with the first pick and then drafted Steve Walsh who he had coached at the Miami Hurricanes in the 1st round supplemental draft.

Jimmy immediately announced that there would be a camp battle between the two and the loser would be moved on from the following year.  

That’s definitely right.

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - samhain - 02-18-2023

(02-17-2023, 09:35 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Truth, but few will recall that Johnson hedged his bet at the QB position in that draft. 

Jimmy was a savage. Homeboy divorced his wife because he didn't have time to be married while trying to win a Super Bowl.

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - casear2727 - 02-18-2023

(02-18-2023, 12:41 AM)samhain Wrote: Jimmy was a savage.  Homeboy divorced his wife because he didn't have time to be married while trying to win a Super Bowl.

Jimmy cut a full back for fumbling twice in the same game.

Jimmy cut a LB for falling asleep in a special teams film session.

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - Go Cards - 02-18-2023

(02-18-2023, 02:16 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Jimmy cut a full back for fumbling twice in the same game.

Jimmy cut a LB for falling asleep in a special teams film session.

Never a Cowboy's fan but Jimmy was a great coach and no telling what he could have achieved if Jerry Jones did not run him away from the dynasty that JJ built. . 

2 SB's and 1 NC is already a great resume though. 

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - Mike M (the other one) - 02-18-2023

(02-18-2023, 02:59 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Never a Cowboy's fan but Jimmy was a great coach and no telling what he could have achieved if Jerry Jones did not run him away from the dynasty that JJ built. . 

Never understood why he wasn't kept as HC. Seems he knew wtf he was doing. Kinda one of those situations where you (as an owner) should just let your guy do his job, especially if he's winning SB's for you.

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - samhain - 02-18-2023

(02-18-2023, 03:15 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Never understood why he wasn't kept as HC. Seems he knew wtf he was doing. Kinda one of those situations where you (as an owner) should just let your guy do his job, especially if he's winning SB's for you.

Jimmy was a control freak and Jerry is a meddler.  It's a bad combination in the long term.  From what I've read on Johnson, the dude had like 5 people he trusted and two of them were his grown sons, another was his hair stylist, lol.  Jerry was never in the circle.  Most of the time, Johnson wanted to be alone outside of football, because other people would screw up his routine.  He's kind of a fascinating character.  The only things that mattered to him were winning, his hair, and his saltwater fish tanks.  Seriously.

Jerry thought he was one of Jimmy's best friends, but he was wrong.  Johnson never had the same regard for Jones that Jones had for him, and Jones couldn't deal with it.

Look at the Cowboys coaches since Johnson.  All were Jones'  stooges with the exception of Parcells, and that was short-lived.  He's just too much of a micromanager to let a strong leader run his teams.

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - bfine32 - 02-18-2023

(02-18-2023, 09:55 AM)samhain Wrote: Jimmy was a control freak and Jerry is a meddler.  It's a bad combination in the long term.  From what I've read on Johnson, the dude had like 5 people he trusted and two of them were his grown sons, another was his hair stylist, lol.  Jerry was never in the circle.  Most of the time, Johnson wanted to be alone outside of football, because other people would screw up his routine.  He's kind of a fascinating character.  The only things that mattered to him were winning, his hair, and his saltwater fish tanks.  Seriously.

Jerry thought he was one of Jimmy's best friends, but he was wrong.  Johnson never had the same regard for Jones that Jones had for him, and Jones couldn't deal with it.

Look at the Cowboys coaches since Johnson.  All were Jones'  stooges with the exception of Parcells, and that was short-lived.  He's just too much of a micromanager to let a strong leader run his teams.

lol....You're so wrong. Jimmy and Jerry were best friends and hung out all the time. Jimmy actually went to Jerry's neighborhood to knock on doors to see if anyone would sell him their house....

OK....I'm sorry

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - Soonerpeace - 02-18-2023

(02-18-2023, 03:15 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Never understood why he wasn't kept as HC. Seems he knew wtf he was doing. Kinda one of those situations where you (as an owner) should just let your guy do his job, especially if he's winning SB's for you.

(02-18-2023, 09:55 AM)samhain Wrote: Jimmy was a control freak and Jerry is a meddler.  It's a bad combination in the long term.  From what I've read on Johnson, the dude had like 5 people he trusted and two of them were his grown sons, another was his hair stylist, lol.  Jerry was never in the circle.  Most of the time, Johnson wanted to be alone outside of football, because other people would screw up his routine.  He's kind of a fascinating character.  The only things that mattered to him were winning, his hair, and his saltwater fish tanks.  Seriously.

(02-18-2023, 11:52 AM)bfine32 Wrote: lol....You're so wrong. Jimmy and Jerry were best friends and hung out all the time. Jimmy actually went to Jerry's neighborhood to knock on doors to see if anyone would sell him their house....

OK....I'm sorry

Jerry and Jimmy were college teammates at Arkansas. But Jerry was insecure of Jimmy’s popularity with everybody at Valley Ranch. He was insecure that he didn’t get enough credit for the turnaround. Jerry is an astute businessman. Before he was traded and Jerry and Jimmy took over I had a lengthy discussion with Herschel Walker. Lots of people questioned a college coach and oil man taking over the Cowboys. Herschel was extremely impressed with them and told me they will be very successful.

But it was Jimmy who coached, built a great staff, and evaluated players expertly. Jimmy Johnson has a genius IQ , seriously he’s on record for having it. But for whatever solid relationship they did have it soured and Jimmy quit. But I would classify their relationship as business friends. Old friends yes but running buddies not so much.

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - Wyche'sWarrior - 02-18-2023

(02-14-2023, 08:37 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I haven't read through all of this yet, but here is our thread where we predict our records going into 2019.  I maintain that we weren't thinking super bowl, but we weren't expecting an unavoidable 2 win season, either.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Record-predictions

Some solid posters in that thread that are no longer around....Sad

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - Graphicguy - 02-20-2023

Ya know, as much crap as we’ve given Mike Brown over the years (much of it deserved), he finally found a guy (Zac) who is smart enough and good enough, to implement his vision. MB was also a big “QB first” guy. He tried it with Carson and Marvin (Palmer got hurt and was never the same, Marvin liked “bad boys” on defense that cost the Bengals games). Then again with Dalton and Marvin (who simply looked overwhelmed the last 2-3 seasons he was here).

But, even Marvin intimated that he and Mike Brown were closer to friends than employee/employer. Whether true or not, that was not healthy for the team.

As Zac mentioned, he loves it here because of the family/loyalty atmosphere….because of the metrics he loves to embrace are embraced by the front office, too? That can be good or bad. Right now, it’s good.

What happens if Zac has a couple of bad drafts and the team isn’t a perennial playoff contender like they are now? What happens if there’s a devastating injury to Burrow (again) and the team tanks for a couple of seasons because we don’t have a decent back up? He may love it here, but will Zac love it once the public and fans turn up the heat on him (as we did on Marvin, Carson, Cory Dillon, etc)?

Jimmy and Jerry, while successful, were caustic. That was a relationship, if it continued, that would have ate away at both men.

Mike Brown is not that. Stubborn? Sure. Ignorant of what’s going on around him when the team is floundering? Probably. But, one thing he’s not is a back stabbing owner and a personality that tears down others.

I commend him for sticking to his guns and getting to this point. But unfortunately, his best days are well behind him regarding getting this team a Super Bowl win.

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - rfaulk34 - 02-20-2023

(02-20-2023, 11:42 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: Ya know, as much crap as we’ve given Mike Brown over the years (much of it deserved), he finally found a guy (Zac) who is smart enough and good enough, to implement his vision.  MB was also a big “QB first” guy.  He tried it with Carson and Marvin (Palmer got hurt and was never the same, Marvin liked “bad boys” on defense that cost the Bengals games).  Then again with Dalton and Marvin (who simply looked overwhelmed the last 2-3 seasons he was here).  

But, even Marvin intimated that he and Mike Brown were closer to friends than employee/employer.  Whether true or not, that was not healthy for the team.

As Zac mentioned, he loves it here because of the family/loyalty atmosphere….because of the metrics he loves to embrace are embraced by the front office, too?  That can be good or bad.  Right now, it’s good.

What happens if Zac has a couple of bad drafts and the team isn’t a perennial playoff contender like they are now?  What happens if there’s a devastating injury to Burrow (again) and the team tanks for a couple of seasons because we don’t have a decent back up?  He may love it here, but will Zac love it once the public and fans turn up the heat on him (as we did on Marvin, Carson, Cory Dillon, etc)?

Jimmy and Jerry, while successful, were caustic.  That was a relationship, if it continued, that would have ate away at both men.

Mike Brown is not that.  Stubborn?  Sure.  Ignorant of what’s going on around him when the team is floundering?  Probably.  But, one thing he’s not is a back stabbing owner and a personality that tears down others.

I commend him for sticking to his guns and getting to this point. But unfortunately, his best days are well behind him regarding getting this team a Super Bowl win.

Someone should pull your pants down and spank you right on the butt. Really hard.

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - Go Cards - 02-20-2023

(02-18-2023, 03:15 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Never understood why he wasn't kept as HC. Seems he knew wtf he was doing. Kinda one of those situations where you (as an owner) should just let your guy do his job, especially if he's winning SB's for you.

If I remember right, Jimmy just walked away to go fishing 

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - Mike M (the other one) - 02-21-2023

(02-20-2023, 08:24 PM)Go Cards Wrote: If I remember right, Jimmy just walked away to go fishing 

Well, after 5 years of Jerry, i'd be ready to go fishing too

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - Go Cards - 02-21-2023

(02-21-2023, 02:50 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Well, after 5 years of Jerry, i'd be ready to go fishing too

Agree 100%

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - TheLeonardLeap - 02-21-2023

(02-18-2023, 02:59 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Never a Cowboy's fan but Jimmy was a great coach and no telling what he could have achieved if Jerry Jones did not run him away from the dynasty that JJ built. . 

Probably not much more than they did. The other owners instituted the salary cap and it eventually made the Cowboys and 49ers have to rebuild rather than keep spending away, ending their reign at a combined 6 SB wins in an 8 year span. Neither has won one since.

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - rfaulk34 - 02-21-2023

(02-20-2023, 08:24 PM)Go Cards Wrote: If I remember right, Jimmy just walked away to go fishing 

(02-21-2023, 02:50 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Well, after 5 years of Jerry, i'd be ready to go fishing too

(02-21-2023, 03:39 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree 100%

https://www.sports-king.com/jerry-jones-jimmy-johnson-relationship-3384/