Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
PnR Decorum and suspensions - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: PnR Decorum and suspensions (/Thread-PnR-Decorum-and-suspensions)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Bengalzona - 07-08-2017

(03-29-2017, 03:22 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: that awkward moment when 3 of the top 4 posters can't post in this sub forum.

It is an awkward situation when we have to discipline some of our most productive members because of violations. For the record, we do not like being put in that situation. But no one is above the rules, just like no NFL player is above the team. 

And I don't think the rules around here are really all that severe. I think I could summarize them by saying "treat the other members with respect". Some may question what the term "respect" entails. But I don't see any way that someone can respect someone while they are insulting them, veiled or otherwise. I realize that that is not very "internet-ish" of me in our current society and that perhaps this makes our forum a little less "fun" since you can't freely insult others. But we find the mix of politics/religions and personal insults to be inflammatory and unacceptable. If your political or religious stance can't be served without insulting other people, then you have no valid stance. 

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - xxlt - 07-08-2017

(07-07-2017, 09:21 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Serious question on this, because I think this is a fine line. Ignorance is just a lack of knowledge on a subject. A lot of opinions on the topics we discuss here often come from a place of ignorance and so it can be difficult to not insinuate that. I say this because I only consider ignorance as something to be overcome with more knowledge and not something as inherently negative. I just want to get some clarification on that ahead of time.

As one who is keenly ignorant of many things and knows this, and knows many who are proudly ignorant of many things and do not know that, I just want to salute the above post. Here's to overcoming ignorance.

(07-07-2017, 10:00 PM)Dill Wrote: My two cents, hoping I understood your point, Bels.

I agree with your take on the concept of "ignorance."  And people who don't know a subject may take great umbrage if, however obliquely, your response to a post reveals their lack of knowledge.

If I understand Zona, however, the mods aren't out to create "safe spaces" for sensitive posters. Rather, they don't want us to call one another "ignorant" and otherwise engage in personal invective.  When that happens, the term is not descriptive but a species of name calling and destroys dialogue. They may also look askance at designating groups with that term, especially if the poster knows that someone he is addressing belongs to that group. E.g., "Democrats and Bengals fans are ignorant."

If someone posted an erroneous account of Quangos, and you could not respectfully correct it via explanation and supporting links for fear the poster might think you "condescending," then meaningful discussion of politics and religion would not be possible. That would concede the field to "ignorance."  I doubt the mods want that. 

I guess this means (maybe) other people are going to stop calling me libtard. But, serious question, can libtards like me still self identify as libtards? You, know, the old "it's ok if I use the taboo word, but not ok if someone else calls me that." Please, don't take my sunshine away. Wink

Heavy lies the head that wears the crown of moderator. Seriously, I don't know how you guys do it. Hell, I don't even know who the top four people keep talking about are. (Sigh) And I know now I'll never get that secret decoder ring...

(07-07-2017, 10:41 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Dang, whatever it was, it looks like GMDino and StLucie ate the hammer for it.

Just an observation. And maybe an incorrect one. But it seems one of those ate said hammer before and then was resurrected. Not the first time I have observed this phenomenon. Is "banned" a status some people display even though they aren't? I think I even remember seeing posts that were new an hour after I seen "banned" as a status for the same poster. I mean, part of me is like, whatever, who cares, but part of me is like is this part of post truth? Does banned not mean banned any more? Can you be unbanned? I honestly find it, not distressing, but confusing. And chances are because I am ignorant - clearly so in this area - that I am the only one confused, but perhaps not.

(07-08-2017, 01:06 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Luckily for me, I am all knowing and love everyone equally.  

Can't we all just get along FOLKS!   Just take everyone's hate speach with a grain of whatever regionally appropriate salt (sea, Mediterranean, deer) fits in your pea shooter.  

Thanks for the update moderatos.  Me love you long time.

Deer salt? Really? Damn, gotta show my ignorance AGAIN! Is that extracted from deer urine? Or did you mean like a big salt lick to attract deer (bloody hell, I can't believe I didn't think of that sooner)? Something else?

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Vas Deferens - 07-08-2017

(07-08-2017, 11:51 AM)xxlt Wrote: Deer salt? Really? Damn, gotta show my ignorance AGAIN! Is that extracted from deer urine? Or did you mean like a big salt lick to attract deer (bloody hell, I can't believe I didn't think of that sooner)? Something else?

Take it with a grain of deer salt xx.

(07-08-2017, 12:33 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Take it with a grain of deer salt xx.

I feel so ignorant. It's not you, it's me.

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Benton - 07-08-2017

(07-08-2017, 11:48 AM)xxlt Wrote: Just an observation. And maybe an incorrect one. But it seems one of those ate said hammer before and then was resurrected. Not the first time I have observed this phenomenon. Is "banned" a status some people display even though they aren't? I think I even remember seeing posts that were new an hour after I seen "banned" as a status for the same poster. I mean, part of me is like, whatever, who cares, but part of me is like is this part of post truth? Does banned not mean banned any more? Can you be unbanned? I honestly find it, not distressing, but confusing. And chances are because I am ignorant - clearly so in this area - that I am the only one confused, but perhaps not.

Temporary suspensions show the user as banned.

Restricted refers to posters unable to post in certain forums.

We also have a warning system, although it doesn't get used as often. Normally folks around here go straight from civilized straight to batshit crazy or outright offending and they get suspended, banned or restricted depending on what happened. Every instance is looked at individual with the coc as a roadmap for how we handle a situation .

(07-08-2017, 12:49 PM)Benton Wrote: Temporary suspensions show the user as banned.

We also have a warning system, although it doesn't get used as often. Normally folks around here go straight from civilized straight to batshit crazy or outright offending and they get suspended, banned or restricted depending on what happened. Every instance is looked at individual with the coc as a roadmap for how we handle a situation .

Thanks for clarifying.

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Stewy - 07-08-2017

(07-08-2017, 12:49 PM)Benton Wrote: Temporary suspensions show the user as banned.

This is not criticism, but a suggestion.

You might want to make some kind of.....difference in "title" between perma-Banned and Suspended.  it might save a lot of confusion and hostility from those who have been calling the Admis Ban-Crazy or Hair-Trigger or whatever.  Maybe you don 't care, but your explanation, while greatly appreciated, might not have been necessary if Suspended and Banned existed as different titles.

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Stewy - 07-08-2017

(07-08-2017, 12:25 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: The problem is not being ignorant. I am ignorant of many things in life. The problem is stating that someone else is ignorant in order to denigrate and degrade them. 

I have several times called people ignorant in geology threads, in the direct definition of the word because............they were.  I usually provide multitudes of links and information and tell them to educate themselves (usually one particular poster).

I would say that if used correctly ignorance is never negative because it can be fixed.  Providing information to fix ignorance is a public service.

If someone calls another person ignorant, but means stupid, that doesn't make the word ignorance wrong, it was just used incorrectly.  Let's not put a red flag on the use of the word ignorance.  Let's put a red flag on it's mis-use.

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - wildcats forever - 07-08-2017

(07-08-2017, 03:10 PM)Stewy Wrote: I have several times called people ignorant in geology threads, in the direct definition of the word because............they were.  I usually provide multitudes of links and information and tell them to educate themselves (usually one particular poster).

I would say that if used correctly ignorance is never negative because it can be fixed.  Providing information to fix ignorance is a public service.

If someone calls another person ignorant, but means stupid, that doesn't make the word ignorance wrong, it was just used incorrectly.  Let's not put a red flag on the use of the word ignorance.  Let's put a red flag on it's mis-use.

What we are putting a red flag on here is negative commentary directed toward members. The word 'ignorant' has more of a negative connotation when used to describe an individual. And it usually leads to a defensive response, which begins to derail the thread etc. If you honestly want someone to better understand a subject, providing information for clarity (at a minimum) instead of calling out someone's 'ignorance' results in a much more productive conversation. When using such a word, some may find it helpful by imagining how the conversation might go if it was being held in person. 

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Bengalzona - 07-08-2017

(07-08-2017, 03:10 PM)Stewy Wrote: I have several times called people ignorant in geology threads, in the direct definition of the word because............they were.  I usually provide multitudes of links and information and tell them to educate themselves (usually one particular poster).

I understand your point. And I think there is a line that can be drawn. If you said that you thought someone was "ignorant of facts" and then presented facts, that is one thing. If you call some ignorant as if that were just an inborn trait, that is a different matter and wouldn't be acceptable. 

Ignorant is a word that can easily be misconstrued, though. 

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Benton - 07-09-2017

(07-08-2017, 02:58 PM)Stewy Wrote: This is not criticism, but a suggestion.

You might want to make some kind of.....difference in "title" between perma-Banned and Suspended.  it might save a lot of confusion and hostility from those who have been calling the Admis Ban-Crazy or Hair-Trigger or whatever.  Maybe you don 't care, but your explanation, while greatly appreciated, might not have been necessary if Suspended and Banned existed as different titles.

Agreed. Unfortunately, unless it's changed since we started, it's a limitation of the board host as it treats everyone as banned.. whether that ban is for a day or permanent.

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Bengalzona - 07-09-2017

(07-08-2017, 02:58 PM)Stewy Wrote: This is not criticism, but a suggestion.

Good point.  ThumbsUp

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Benton - 07-10-2017

While we're all talking about decorum and things that will lead to suspensions, I would encourage everyone NOT to post from fake news sites. No, this isn't up for debate or part of any discussion on what constitutes "fake news." These sites — the variety you find on social media with outlandish stories like "What every home owner is doing to get their MORTGAGE PAID OFF by Congress!" or "Congressman admits to eating baby hearts" — are generally all fake. And full of viruses.

They are not welcome here. They will be deleted. If a poster continues posting links to garbage sites, they will be suspended for trolling.

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Dill - 07-10-2017

(07-10-2017, 12:48 AM)Benton Wrote: While we're all talking about decorum and things that will lead to suspensions, I would encourage everyone NOT to post from fake news sites. No, this isn't up for debate or part of any discussion on what constitutes "fake news." These sites — the variety you find on social media with outlandish stories like "What every home owner is doing to get their MORTGAGE PAID OFF by Congress!" or "Congressman admits to eating baby hearts" — are generally all fake. And full of viruses.

They are not welcome here. They will be deleted. If a poster continues posting links to garbage sites, they will be suspended for trolling.

So I am guessing you are using the professional journalists' definition of "fake news," and not Trump's.  ThumbsUp

Forum activity would slow down considerably if we could not post links from the CNN and the NYT.

(07-10-2017, 03:24 PM)Dill Wrote: So I am guessing you are using the professional journalists' definition of "fake news," and not Trump's.  ThumbsUp

Forum activity would slow down considerably if we could not post links from the CNN and the NYT.

More or less.

The staff isn't likely going to track down every odd ball site our there, and we aren't going to use it as a way to discourage sites like TheBlaze, Brietbart, HuffPo, Slate, etc., that are outside of "main stream media." But if you link to a site containing malware — as many of the "Congressman found in bed with Loch Ness" type sites are — then we will delete the thread. That holds true for any area of this board.

And if a poster shows that much disregard for fellow board members on a regular basis, they will be banned.

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Belsnickel - 07-10-2017

(07-10-2017, 03:35 PM)Benton Wrote: More or less.

The staff isn't likely going to track down every odd ball site our there, and we aren't going to use it as a way to discourage sites like TheBlaze, Brietbart, HuffPo, Slate, etc., that are outside of "main stream media." But if you link to a site containing malware — as many of the "Congressman found in bed with Loch Ness" type sites are — then we will delete the thread. That holds true for any area of this board.

And if a poster shows that much disregard for fellow board members on a regular basis, they will be banned.

Aww, man. I was hoping that we could at least encourage using more reputable right and left leaning sites like The Weekly Standard and the Nation. LOL

I gues sit would be difficult, though, since some have a hard time recognizing bias, or seeing it when it isn't there as much as they'd like it to be.

(07-10-2017, 03:52 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Aww, man. I was hoping that we could at least encourage using more reputable right and left leaning sites like The Weekly Standard and the Nation. LOL

I gues sit would be difficult, though, since some have a hard time recognizing bias, or seeing it when it isn't there as much as they'd like it to be.

That's not a road I'd like to go down. 

People can post from whatever biased site they like; in my experience, it says more about the poster than the message when someone posts from a clearly partisan source where an anonymous author uses unnamed sources as a vehicle for some weird idea. But board users don't want to follow a link and start getting coupons for ED drugs or whatever.