Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
PnR Decorum and suspensions - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: PnR Decorum and suspensions (/Thread-PnR-Decorum-and-suspensions)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Stewy - 07-10-2017

(07-09-2017, 01:06 AM)Benton Wrote: Agreed. Unfortunately, unless it's changed since we started, it's a limitation of the board host as it treats everyone as banned.. whether that ban is for a day or permanent.

I have ADMIN'd multitudes of BB forums over the years, and I'm frankly surprised the board Admin can't create separate ranks with specific criteria to allow the different designation.  Not saying I don't believe you.  Just surprised based upon my experience.   Wink

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - SunsetBengal - 07-10-2017

(07-10-2017, 05:13 PM)Benton Wrote: That's not a road I'd like to go down. 

People can post from whatever biased site they like; in my experience, it says more about the poster than the message when someone posts from a clearly partisan source where an anonymous author uses unnamed sources as a vehicle for some weird idea. But board users don't want to follow a link and start getting coupons for ED drugs or whatever.

I'm sorry, Benton.  Those coupons were intended for fredtoast.  I mean, it was the only logical explanation for his change in behavior, in recent years.

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - GMDino - 07-10-2017

(07-10-2017, 12:48 AM)Benton Wrote: While we're all talking about decorum and things that will lead to suspensions, I would encourage everyone NOT to post from fake news sites. No, this isn't up for debate or part of any discussion on what constitutes "fake news." These sites — the variety you find on social media with outlandish stories like "What every home owner is doing to get their MORTGAGE PAID OFF by Congress!" or "Congressman admits to eating baby hearts" — are generally all fake. And full of viruses.

They are not welcome here. They will be deleted. If a poster continues posting links to garbage sites, they will be suspended for trolling.

So some DO eat baby hearts?   Ninja

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - StLucieBengal - 07-11-2017

As someone who has a thorough relationship with the suspension policy here..... I would just like to see it evenly administered. I do not mind getting suspended for pronoun use or whatever, as long as I do not have to login to see myself or other posters taking off topic personal shots. Off topic posting ruins the discussion.

Unfortunately I have felt this has not always been the case in the past but I am hopeful it will be going forward given the recent posts by the moderators.

As for the linked stories..... we had one recently that I wouldn't even click..... it's pretty common sense that of the link is crazy then do not click. We only have a handful who use these type of links so it should be pretty easy to avoid. And if we just ignore those posts or threads then it will cycle off page 1 and into the abyss.

Anyway good to be back and see a lot of the same names around.

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - xxlt - 07-11-2017

(07-10-2017, 03:52 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Aww, man. I was hoping that we could at least encourage using more reputable right and left leaning sites like The Weekly Standard and the Nation. LOL

I gues sit would be difficult, though, since some have a hard time recognizing bias, or seeing it when it isn't there as much as they'd like it to be.

That is funny. What is funnier though is I will bet you strudel to kartoffelküchen that readers of The Nation can tell you it offers "that famous liberal media bias that you can't find anywhere else," while readers of The Weekly Standard think it is "just the facts ma'aam, just the facts."

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - xxlt - 07-11-2017

(07-10-2017, 05:13 PM)Benton Wrote: That's not a road I'd like to go down. 

People can post from whatever biased site they like; in my experience, it says more about the poster than the message when someone posts from a clearly partisan source where an anonymous author uses unnamed sources as a vehicle for some weird idea. But board users don't want to follow a link and start getting coupons for ED drugs or whatever.

I'm sure most members link directly to the ads on here for their ED drugs, so don't stress about that!

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - michaelsean - 07-11-2017

(07-07-2017, 09:02 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: A reminder and a new warning:

1) Keep comments directed to the topics presented rather than directing them specifically at other members. If someone presents a topic or idea that you don't agree with, it is perfectly fine to address that topic or idea. It is NOT okay to write or insinuate that the person presenting that topic or idea is "stupid", "ignorant", etc. for presenting that topic or idea.

2) If you quote another member and decide to change the wording of their quote, you are walking on thin ice. If you change that quote to try and make that other person appear in a bad light, that post will be deleted and you may receive some time off to reconsider what you wrote.

Treat each other with respect, people.  But mainly treat me with respect, because this is the first time I've ever had power, and Im a gonna use it.  

FIFY.  Ah crap I missed point 2.

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Benton - 07-11-2017

(07-11-2017, 01:33 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: As for the linked stories.....  we had one recently that I wouldn't even click.....   it's pretty common sense that of the link is crazy then do not click.   We only have a handful who use these type of links so it should be pretty easy to avoid.   And if we just ignore those posts or threads then it will cycle off page 1 and into the abyss.    

I would encourage posters to use the "report" feature any time they come across a link that looks/is suspicious. I don't always get a chance to log on during the day and read through a couple dozen new posts, but I do long on at least every couple hours to make sure nothing has been flagged. 

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Rotobeast - 07-11-2017

(07-11-2017, 01:33 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: As someone who has a thorough relationship with the suspension policy here.....   I would just like to see it evenly administered.  I do not mind getting suspended for pronoun use or whatever, as long as I do not have to login to see myself or other posters taking off topic personal shots.  Off topic posting ruins the discussion.  

This.....

There is a lot personal shots that get thrown about, but since certain people take the manly route and not report, not all violators are reprimanded.
That is NOTHING against the Mods or Admins, it's just the way it rolls.
Certain people just have it out for other certain people.

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Vas Deferens - 07-11-2017

(07-11-2017, 07:04 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: This.....

There is a lot personal shots that get thrown about, but since certain people take the manly route and not report, not all violators are reprimanded.
That is NOTHING against the Mods or Admins, it's just the way it rolls.
Certain people just have it out for other certain people.

Other people neither report or complain about the moderation of the forum. That is nothing against you roto, or anyone here necessarily, but some things that are said here can be interpreted as a personal shot given the context of talking about an entire race / religion / political leaning.

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Bengalzona - 07-11-2017

(07-11-2017, 09:07 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Other people neither report or complain about the moderation of the forum.  That is nothing against you roto, or anyone here necessarily, but some things that are said here can be interpreted as a personal shot given the context of talking about an entire race / religion / political leaning.

There is a lot of things posted here that can be interpreted in various ways. 

For example, say someone makes a post about wives from Europe. Let's use the example of Eastern Europe. And maybe this someone makes remarks about Americans with wives from Eastern Europe with references to Mail-Order Brides or something like that in order to try and embarrass or harass another member who they know has a wife from Eastern Europe. Veiled insults, as the poster knows that outright insults might bring immediate discipline. 

Continuing the example, let's say we have a certain hot-headed mod who, by a strange coincidence of fate, also just happens to have a wife from Eastern Europe (What are the odds, right?). And this mod sees these comments, notes how they have been shoe-horned into a thread where they don't really apply and realizes they were placed there to bait someone else. Maybe the mod even takes it personal, thinks the poster was wanting to insult him, and decides that the poster really doesn't enjoy the privilege of posting on the boards.

As you can see from the example, things can be interpreted in many different ways other than expected.  Mellow

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Dill - 07-11-2017

(07-11-2017, 09:42 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: There is a lot of things posted here that can be interpreted in various ways. 

For example, say someone makes a post about wives from Europe. Let's use the example of Eastern Europe. And maybe this someone makes remarks about Americans with wives from Eastern Europe with references to Mail-Order Brides or something like that in order to try and embarrass or harass another member who they know has a wife from Eastern Europe. Veiled insults, as the poster knows that outright insults might bring immediate discipline. 

Continuing the example, let's say we have a certain hot-headed mod who, by a strange coincidence of fate, also just happens to have a wife from Eastern Europe (What are the odds, right?). And this mod sees these comments, notes how they have been shoe-horned into a thread where they don't really apply and realizes they were placed there to bait someone else. Maybe the mod even takes it personal, thinks the poster was wanting to insult him, and decides that the poster really doesn't enjoy the privilege of posting on the boards.

As you can see from the example, things can be interpreted in many different ways other than expected.  Mellow

Well, I am hoping the mods talk over their suspensions before acting on them.

And I hope that they take past behavior into account as well. E.g., does a poster regularly bait and insult people? Or does the incident in question appear to be a deviation from his norm?

I don't worry much about personal shots. I read them as default, inability to make substantive points. They don't slow me down. Still, they are a forum problem since they may lead away from substantive discourse, as people may feel the need to defend themselves or return in kind. Others then don't want to participate. If dog fights are frequent, then potential contributors avoid the PnR forum.

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Vas Deferens - 07-11-2017

(07-11-2017, 09:42 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: There is a lot of things posted here that can be interpreted in various ways. 

I 100% understand and agree. My point was that when I, as a person who has been in a relationship with a "Muslim savage" will merely retort the hipocracy of someone who claims Christian values yet demonizes others AND promotes prostitution; rather than A. Reporting hateful baseless statements (I'm sure you can attest to that) or B. claiming there is inequality in the moderation (read beta whining about being reported.)

Whatever. This whole "it's not fair" line of thinking is a bit tired when coming from posters with consistent track records of agitating just to agitate. At some point one needs to contemplate if their actions are the problem and not others REaction to them. I guess I'm more of a personal accountability type like that, rather than blaming my situation on other anonymous individuals I've never met.

But again, I think the mods do a great job, even after a justified time out or two.

Also. Frack the steelers.

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - xxlt - 07-12-2017

So Darrell Pierson is your wife and she's from Eastern Europe? That's my interpretation of the above post. It is what one might call a "hot take." See what I did there?

So, is that company still in business and can you PM me their website? Ima get me a catalogue!

At the mother ship nearly every comment in here would have gotten a permanent suspension. Let that sink in. Now, go to your local house of worship or the altar in your den and light a candle or some incense for our wonderful moderators here.

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Bengalzona - 07-12-2017

(07-11-2017, 11:15 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: I 100% understand and agree.  My point was that when I, as a person who has been in a relationship with a "Muslim savage" will merely retort the hipocracy of someone who claims Christian values yet demonizes others AND promotes prostitution; rather than A. Reporting hateful baseless statements (I'm sure you can attest to that) or B. claiming there is inequality in the moderation (read beta whining about being reported.)

Whatever.  This whole "it's not fair" line of thinking is a bit tired when coming from posters with consistent track records of agitating just to agitate.  At some point one needs to contemplate if their actions are the problem and not others REaction to them.  I guess I'm more of a personal accountability type like that, rather than blaming my situation on other anonymous individuals I've never met.  

But again, I think the mods do a great job, even after a justified time out or two.  

Also. Frack the steelers.

Pointing out hypocrisy can be done without targeting an individual. In fact, it has been my experience that it is far more effective when you don't target a specific person in your criticism because that only causes the person to see it as a personal attack and not to consider if the proverbial "shoe fits". Things that are perceived as personal attacks are met with an equal and opposite reaction.  

Agitation is part of daily life here in P&R. People generally come into this forum knowing that when they express an opinion, it will probably be welcomed by some and agitate others. That is the nature of the beast. The line that we draw is when someone is seeking to agitate an individual rather than the group with an opposing view. Do you see the difference? 

(07-12-2017, 06:16 AM)xxlt Wrote: So Darrell Pierson is your wife and she's from Eastern Europe? That's my interpretation of the above post. It is what one might call a "hot take." See what I did there?

So, is that company still in business and can you PM me their website? Ima get me a catalogue!

I was all set to get mad about your comments. But in my Google search for who Darrell Pierson is, I ended up at a website for a photographer in Sun City (a retirement community) who is known for his "Nudes in Nature" series of photos. 

After an hour of research, I find that I'm not so angry anymore. Just horny. 

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 07-12-2017

(07-12-2017, 12:15 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I was all set to get mad about your comments. But in my Google search for who Darrell Pierson is, I ended up at a website for a photographer in Sun City (a retirement community) who is known for his "Nudes in Nature" series of photos. 

I thought what happens at the retirement community stays at the retirement community.

(07-12-2017, 12:36 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I thought what happens at the retirement community stays at the retirement community.

These particular nudes are not retirement age. Not by a longshot.  ThumbsUp

(07-12-2017, 12:15 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I was all set to get mad about your comments. But in my Google search for who Darrell Pierson is, I ended up at a website for a photographer in Sun City (a retirement community) who is known for his "Nudes in Nature" series of photos. 

Look in the lower left corner of your current sig photo. I assumed that was her name and not the photographer's. Good ol' paternalism betraying me again. Sorry for the serendipitous mix up. Wink