Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread***
(03-17-2021, 04:01 PM)Fulcher_33 Wrote: Soon, Soooooon :)

BTW Tecmobowl, and Super Tecmobowl were the shit in the 90s (since we've been on a 90s kick). My Friends and I would have leagues and binge play seasons a weekend at a time...LOL was so fun

Same dude, both games were part of my youth, so fun!

Anyhow, I don't want to derail the thread further since it is the free agency thread. Good times through reflecting on the Jeff Query.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-17-2021, 03:12 PM)Whatever Wrote: Does it really matter if we were the 2nd highest bidder or the 32nd highest bidder?  He wasn't coming here with that kind of an offer from KC.

If we made a "competitive" offer, people would just complain that he just used us for leverage.

Seriously, are we complaining about not getting moral victories in FA?

And we do not know what the offer was, if there even was one, and if he had any actual interest in coming here.  What we have is supposed 4th or 5th hand information from someone claiming to know his sister.  

The fact of the matter is we don't know anything other than we didn't get him.

Who knows what it would have taken to get him here?  For all we know, he would have taken the same exact deal here.  If the money is equal it could be as simple as playing near your hometown vs. playing for a proven winner.  Who are we to say the lure of a Superbowl trumps being near family?  We don't know.

Also, who is to say we couldn't offer slightly more?  We had way more cap space than KC.  Why is it so unforgivable for a team that desperately needs OL help to pay more for a player than a team with less cap space?

All I'm saying is the rich got richer, depsite having less money to spend.  And the poor (us) are chalking it up to "what can you do *shoulder shrug*"?

What we could have done to make that we do everything in our power this deals get done.  And maybe we did that, but forgive me for saying it doesn't appear that way, nor am I willing to give this front office the benefit of the doubt.

KC got Joe Thuney, depsite not appearing to be major players in free agency heading into the offseason.  The Bengals didn't get Joe Thuney, despite having the 5th most cap space, a roster full of potential cap casualties to clear more space, being near his hometown, and needing help at OG more than any other team.

I'm sorry, but that stings. 
(03-17-2021, 03:36 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: It’s a little bit more nuanced than that.

Cool. Tell me more.

BTW Tecmobowl, and Super Tecmobowl were the shit in the 90s (since we've been on a 90s kick). My Friends and I would have leagues and binge play seasons a weekend at a time...LOL was so fun

A few years ago I bought an updated version of Super Tecmo Bowl for the original Nintendo. It came in an actual NES cartridge with updated logo and had the 2015 NFL rosters. It was pretty awesome.

Btw, Fulcher was a beast on the original. Him, Bo Knows and Randall Cunningham were some of the best players to use.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.

Whoever got the Raiders was basically cheating...lol

"Better send those refunds..."

(03-17-2021, 03:48 PM)Joelist Wrote: Yes we already do know they lowballed both on yearly and on guaranteed and yes it matters - to the player and therefore to their agent. It harms us going forward because we get a bad reputation. And reputation is everything. A major reason we have terrible problems retaining out best players as well as signing primo Free Agents is the reputation we have of always looking for financial bargains instead of looking at winning first. 

I haven't seen a reputable source say we even made an offer for Thuney.  The only "sources" claiming we lowballed him are on Reddit and this board.  And it stems from some guy claiming he knows his sister.

The NFL is a business.  Players and agents know the game.  Every team out there is trying to sign players as cheaply as they can.  Teams start low and agents start high.  
(03-17-2021, 03:58 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Wouldn't be the worst way to spend it.

Actually, even with a Bates extension his base salary would remain the same for 2021.  We may elect to spread some of the signing bonus onto this year, but that's probably only going to be 2-5 million.  (See Joe Mixon contract for example of this)

So really, the increase in cap space next year (currently projected at a around 25 million rise) will more than cover a new Bates deal moving forward.  In fact, it would probably cover both him and Hubbard.

So we're going to be more creative with reasons why we can't spend these remaining dollars for 2021 than this.
(03-17-2021, 03:57 PM)jj22 Wrote: I think it was interesting he said the 20m we had allocated for new players as in the remaining was allocated for WJIII and Lawson. But they are long gone. So now how is he going to spin the disappearance of the other 20M. Rolled over for a Bates extension? 

Who needs to explain anything? Hobson will just make that money disappear.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia...f=1&nofb=1]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
If you say so. I'm not a cap or contract guy. I just think money spent to extend Bates is money well spent.
(03-17-2021, 02:30 PM)TJ528 Wrote: Hey guys,

I didn't mean to bring negativity here.  Just a realistic outlook in my eyes which is different than evidently a lot of other people.  

Anyway, I appreciate the welcome however I think I'll go back to just reading the site.  

Best of luck on the season and hopefully Zac and the boys can turn his career around in Cincy. 

The Oline has been an issue since 2017.
Right now Joe Burrow is thinking, "Ok so my other leg for 2021?"
(03-17-2021, 04:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: A few years ago I bought an updated version of Super Tecmo Bowl for the original Nintendo. It came in an actual NES cartridge with updated logo and had the 2015 NFL rosters. It was pretty awesome.

Btw, Fulcher was a beast on the original. Him, Bo Knows and Randall Cunningham were some of the best players to use.

Hell yeah Fulcher was a monster.... hence my SN :)

Wyce -  Raiders with Bo were ridiculous, but dont sleep on the "Lions" in that game. They had Barry, and J.Ball at NT with the Dive on snap cheat/technique and get the sack made my friends break numerous controllers LOL...

Okay I'm putting the 90's to bed. Thanks for brining back the memories, even though from a Bengals perspective they were forgettable. 

Back to the 2021 FAs..... LETS GET SOME OL!!
(03-17-2021, 04:20 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: The Oline has been an issue since 2017.

From 2016 onward.

We gave up 41 sacks and constant pressure in 2016. Mainly due to Russell Bodine and Ogbuehi being starters.
(03-17-2021, 03:31 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I wish the NFL would make the compensatory forumula public and easy to digest.

Yeah, what is the purpose of keep the formula a secret?

Quote:Don't are signings offset these somewhat?  I thought it was an "in vs. out" type of calculation?

It is for qualifying free agents. If the team loses the same number of qualifying free agents as they sign then they aren’t eligible for comp picks.
(03-17-2021, 04:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Btw, Fulcher was a beast on the original. Him, Bo Knows and Randall Cunningham were some of the best players to use.

Bo Jackson from Tecmo Bowl, Paste from Bases Loaded, and Bing Gordon from FIFA were all nightmares from old school gaming.  Jeremy Roenick from NHL wasn't to shabby either.

Younger people will say Michael Vick from Madden (04?), but they don't know.  They just don't know.
(03-17-2021, 04:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: From 2016 onward.

We gave up 41 sacks and constant pressure in 2016. Mainly due to Russell Bodine and Ogbuehi being starters.

You’re right. I just remember 2017 was the year they let their two best Olinemen on a shitty Oline walk during free agency then proceeded to draft two offensive skill positions in the first two rounds of the draft (John Ross being one of those two) and I had a mini mental breakdown.
Raiders are trading C Rodney Hudson and 7th-round pick to Arizona for a 3rd-round pick, per sources.

Zona taking care of their young QB.

Scratch Hudson off the board. Who needs a probowl center when we have Price to protect Burrow.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Arizona finalizing deal for Hudson. Another upgrade is gone.

shing for the former #Raiders Pro Bowler.
Quote Tweet

Mike Garafolo
@MikeGarafolo
· 6m
The #Raiders are finalizing a trade of C Rodney Hudson to the #AZCardinals for a swap of draft picks, sources tell me and @RapSheet.
Next QB will listen to the media telling him to avoid the Bengals.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(03-17-2021, 04:59 PM)jj22 Wrote: Next QB will listen to the media telling him to avoid the Bengals.

Probably next year after Burrow ends in a career ending injury, or retires because of porous line.