Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread***
(03-20-2021, 01:08 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You 100% ignored the part about trading for Ertz (a complete stud TE) to pair with Pitts and Sample. In my scenario I had mentioned in prior posts Sewell was gone. As far as Chase or Pitts, I take Pitts as a lot of receivers can do close to what Chase can do, very few TE's will be available to do what Pitts can do.

QB's in the NFL love TE's, just think of Ertz and Pitts on field at same time, defense has to worry about the run or the play action pass. Te's have a way of getting open within 2 seconds, so OL does not have to hold off rushers for 3 or 4 seconds.

So, in  my opinion very much up for debate, especially if Sewell is gone.

I ignored it b/c the Bengals are not giving up a 3rd round pick on a TE who is starting to decline and get hurt and only be on the field 60% of the time. It's ludicrous man! 
And, Chase was a Dominant WR IN THE SEC at the age of 19....WITH BURROW. Let's not forget that major point here. So, no, I don't believe most WRs can do what Chase does. He'll be an elite #1 WR in the NFL. Even though I also think Pitts will be a top TE as well, he doesn't fit Taylors offensive philosophy. If it were the Jets, Miami, KC, NE, SF, Oak, those teams utilize the TEs more than Taylor does. 
(03-21-2021, 02:03 AM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: It's ludicrous man!

Uh, I think it's spelled Ludacris. 

Ninja
(03-21-2021, 02:03 AM)JerseyDD09 Wrote:  If it were the Miami, KC, NE, SF, Oak, those teams utilize the TEs more than Taylor does. 

All of these teams are more successful than Zac Taylor. 

Maybe Zac should make changes to his system?  A crazy thought I know, but just think about it.
So, who do we like that's left? Both the team through Hobson and other sources seem to indicate further activity in free agency, which would match what happened last year when they grabbed guys like Bell and Bynes.

Also, I read somewhere, probably on here that they are still checking into available DTs. I'd like to see Rankins or Wolfe brought in for a look, and possibly even Geno on a greatly reduced salary. I find it odd that gene has yet to receive the big "Thank You" social media and team website posts that AJ did when he left. This very likely indicates that the door is not yet totally closed on his return to the team. I can't see any of the 3 being mega-expensive. Daniels is another highly likely possibility, as the team site has stated that they'd like to have him back, and he would cost very little.

I also think WR is likely, and that's been gone over ad infinitum on here. Reynolds IMO is the best option, as he's younger and stays on the field more consistently than Watkins. I like TY, but his style of game typically does not age well.

I suppose Turner makes sense, but his recent performance is pretty off-putting. As it stands now, he's a guy who's living off of a reputation he built before 2020. If you get 2020 Trai Turner protecting Burrow, you're not in a good place.

Another edge guy is a need. Kerrigan and Ingram are worth a look if they are healthy. After Hubbard and Hendrickson, there's really nobody to pressure a quarterback here.
(03-21-2021, 10:17 AM)samhain Wrote: So, who do we like that's left? Both the team through Hobson and other sources seem to indicate further activity in free agency, which would match what happened last year when they grabbed guys like Bell and Bynes.

Also, I read somewhere, probably on here that they are still checking into available DTs. I'd like to see Rankins or Wolfe brought in for a look, and possibly even Geno on a greatly reduced salary. I find it odd that gene has yet to receive the big "Thank You" social media and team website posts that AJ did when he left. This very likely indicates that the door is not yet totally closed on his return to the team. I can't see any of the 3 being mega-expensive. Daniels is another highly likely possibility, as the team site has stated that they'd like to have him back, and he would cost very little.

I also think WR is likely, and that's been gone over ad infinitum on here. Reynolds IMO is the best option, as he's younger and stays on the field more consistently than Watkins. I like TY, but his style of game typically does not age well.

I suppose Turner makes sense, but his recent performance is pretty off-putting. As it stands now, he's a guy who's living off of a reputation he built before 2020. If you get 2020 Trai Turner protecting Burrow, you're not in a good place.

Another edge guy is a need. Kerrigan and Ingram are worth a look if they are healthy. After Hubbard and Hendrickson, there's really nobody to pressure a quarterback here.

Wolfe resigned with Ravens days ago...

There are still several option out there for positions that you mentioned and I don’t think we’re done in FA. Might not be a ton names before the draft though be we shall see.
(03-21-2021, 10:17 AM)samhain Wrote: So, who do we like that's left?  Both the team through Hobson and other sources seem to indicate further activity in free agency, which would match what happened last year when they grabbed guys like Bell and Bynes.  

Also, I read somewhere, probably on here that they are still checking into available DTs.  I'd like to see Rankins or Wolfe brought in for a look, and possibly even Geno on a greatly reduced salary.  I find it odd that gene has yet to receive the big "Thank You" social media and team website posts that AJ did when he left.  This very likely indicates that the door is not yet totally closed on his return to the team.  I can't see any of the 3 being mega-expensive.  Daniels is another highly likely possibility, as the team site has stated that they'd like to have him back, and he would cost very little.

I also think WR is likely, and that's been gone over ad infinitum on here.  Reynolds IMO is the best option, as he's younger and stays on the field more consistently than Watkins.  I like TY, but his style of game typically does not age well.  

I suppose Turner makes sense, but his recent performance is pretty off-putting.  As it stands now, he's a guy who's living off of a reputation he built before 2020.  If you get 2020 Trai Turner protecting Burrow, you're not in a good place.  

Another edge guy is a need.  Kerrigan and Ingram are worth a look if they are healthy.  After Hubbard and Hendrickson, there's really nobody to pressure a quarterback here.

Trai Turner, Larry Warford, Ingrim, Watkins. I'd target some of those guys. Clowney is still on the market as well from what I know. Still options to help the team out there. 
(03-20-2021, 12:19 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: There ain't no way the Bengals are drafting Pitts over either Chase or Sewell. And, the chances of 1 of them being there at #5 are very good at this point. 
Burrow's history with Chase (they're friends) and his dominance in the SEC along with them still needing a replacement for AJ win the day over Pitts. 
And if it's Sewell, case closed as we all know. 

Pitts is a TE. They are not spending their #5 pick on a team that is last in the league over the last 2 years in 12 personnel. It makes ZERO sense. And please don't say they can move him out wide all the time. That's not how things work. He's not an X or a Y in the NFL. Would you want Tee Higgins and Ja Marr Chase as your Wideouts with Boyd in the middle? Or, would you want Higgins and Boyd out there with Pitts in the middle? 
Not to mention, he won't even be the TE on the field in a lot of Running sets.
Sewell % of plays---100%
Chase % of plays---80+%
Pitts % of plays---65-70%

No brainer IMO....

This is where you're wrong Kyle Pitts is a receiver that can play TE.

I've seen where several teams don't even consider him as a TE and would rather use him as a Wide Receiver. He is a guy that can play TE in 12 personnel and any WR position in an 11 personnel. He can make your 12 become an 11 with a simple shift or motion. The things you can do with your offense because of Kyle Pitts versatility is endless.

Here is Lance Zeirleins Pitts breakdown.

Quote:While the player comparison for the purposes of this scouting report is Darren Waller, Pitts may have the traits and talent to create mismatches similar to those created by Calvin Johnson and Tyreek Hill. His rare blend of size, athleticism and ball skills are reminiscent of Megatron’s. His ability as a pass-catching tight end could force defenses in his division to alter the way they construct their roster. He’s a tough matchup for most linebackers and too big for most cornerbacks. He offers offensive coordinators the ability to align him all over the field and, like Waller, can become a highly targeted, highly productive pass catcher from the tight end position. He puts in effort as a blocker but with limited success. That’s not what makes him special, though. Along with Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence, Pitts has a chance to become the biggest game-changer in the 2021 NFL Draft.

The point may be moot though because there is alot of talk the Falcons like Pitts at #4.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I hope teams love Pitts as much as many on here do. It would be outstanding to see him go before we pick at 5. It would all but guarantee a shot at Sewell or Chase.
(03-21-2021, 02:31 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Uh, I think it's spelled Ludacris. 

Ninja

Wow, WM, you're going down that road. I'll remember that one.  Shocked
(03-19-2021, 04:33 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: 1.) I mean, maybe we should reply on them more?  Just look at the successful teams in this league. 

The Superbowl featured Travis Kelce on one side, and Gronk on the other.  Hell, the Bucs were so stacked they had a gluttony of tight ends.  Their #2 and #3, Howard and Brate, are aguably better than anyone we currently have.

2.) I don't think anyone ripped the Sample pick because he was a tight end, they ripped it because he was a huge reach.

Uhhh, I think it's ARGUABLY? Get it right pal.  Hilarious
Probably doesn't mean a lot, but there is this:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/trai-turner-likes-idea-of-signing-with-bengals-to-block-for-joe-burrow
Things have certainly slowed down across the league. Not sure if we will see another signing until mid next week at the earliest. Still hoping for an OG and some more Dline help or a WR.
IOL is kinda drying up but there are some older edge guys Melvin Ingram, Justin Houston, and Aldon Smith.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

(03-21-2021, 11:17 AM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: Wow, WM, you're going down that road. I'll remember that one.  Shocked

There's only one way to spell Ludacris in my mind.

PS 2 Fast 2 Furious is the greatest movie of all time.
(03-21-2021, 11:27 AM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: Uhhh, I think it's ARGUABLY? Get it right pal.  Hilarious

Wait.. you do know I was kidding, right?  (Ludacris is some 2000's rapper)

Now I can't tell if you're playing along or not.
(03-20-2021, 11:18 PM)SErebel11 Wrote: I think Brett Jones would be a solid depth signing. Has experience at C and G. Played in this same blocking scheme and former teammate of Reiff. He would be cheap also.

I like this thought too.

(03-20-2021, 11:56 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He's been hurt each of the last 4 years and missed at least 3 games in each of those years. Durability doesn't normally go up with age. If you throw last year out the window, you're going to regret it.

Why? Trai would be cheap with all the things you and I mentioned. If he gets back to his All Pro level its great, if not, so what.
(03-21-2021, 02:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Why? Trai would be cheap with all the things you and I mentioned. If he gets back to his All Pro level its great, if not, so what.

He was never an All-Pro.

Also, if he doesn't get back to his level, or when he inevitably gets hurt again, you're back to Michael Jordan or Alex Redmond protecting Joe Burrow. I want a more sure/steady upgrade. It was why even before Scherff got tagged I still wanted Thuney over him, despite being a hair less talented, simply due to durability issues. Availability being one of the best abilities and all that.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(03-21-2021, 06:33 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He was never an All-Pro.

Also, if he doesn't get back to his level, or when he inevitably gets hurt again, you're back to Michael Jordan or Alex Redmond protecting Joe Burrow. I want a more sure/steady upgrade. It was why even before Scherff got tagged I still wanted Thuney over him, despite being a hair less talented, simply due to durability issues. Availability being one of the best abilities and all that.

No you won't. Not if you do 2 of the following:

1) Draft OT at 5 (Sewell/Slater)
2) Pick an IOL in rounds 2 or 3
3) Sign a vet G (say Turner).

Your guards are then:
1) Whichever OT gets moved inside (Reiff, Jonah, etc)
2) Vet G signing
3) 2nd/3rd round IOL pick
4) XSF

Jordan/Redmond are PS guys or not even on the 53. Unless we keep 11 OL on the 53.
Sign Spain, cut Jordan, then sign Turner if you like. That way you're protected from MJ ever lining up at Guard for us again.
(03-21-2021, 02:31 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Wait.. you do know I was kidding, right?  (Ludacris is some 2000's rapper)

Now I can't tell if you're playing along or not.

Yes, I'm playing along now. Lol I love Ludacris!