Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread***
(03-22-2021, 12:11 PM)pally Wrote: you certainly don't cut him before training camp.  See what he's learned...see what he can learn from Pollack

For ***** sake, can we please stop with this? We tried that last year and it was disastrous. Cut him or not, I don't give a shit...but they need an upgrade. 

This free agency has been an absolute joke and a let down. We ARGUABLY upgraded at one position on the entire team. We signed one offensive lineman and haven't done shit to address the guards or the rest of the line. The biggest need was to upgrade the offensive line and the Bengals have shown zero lack of urgency to do that. They let Zeitler go to a division rival, they let Thuney walk by because they didn't want to pay him. 

The roster management and the lack of urgency to protect Burrow with quality guys is baffling. I guess we will see who we draft or throw some mud against the wall again this year and see if it sticks. ***** pathetic. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
(03-22-2021, 06:17 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Huh?

MJ either threw his man or his man fell onto Burrow's knee; he didn't, "get beaten," and have his guy just crush Burrow, he fell on him, torso-first.

I mean, cirticise the guy for his issues (rightfully so), but don't fabricate things.

My bad I got it wrong, it's been awhile since I've seen it but still it was a pathetic bizarre play. MJ gets bullrushed and beat and then mj pushes the linemen into burrows knee. 
(03-22-2021, 07:23 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: For ***** sake, can we please stop with this? We tried that last year and it was disastrous. Cut him or not, I don't give a shit...but they need an upgrade. 

This free agency has been an absolute joke and a let down. We ARGUABLY upgraded at one position on the entire team. We signed one offensive lineman and haven't done shit to address the guards or the rest of the line. The biggest need was to upgrade the offensive line and the Bengals have shown zero lack of urgency to do that. They let Zeitler go to a division rival, they let Thuney walk by because they didn't want to pay him. 

The roster management and the lack of urgency to protect Burrow with quality guys is baffling. I guess we will see who we draft or throw some mud against the wall again this year and see if it sticks. ***** pathetic. 

Right. 

We should've read into the Front Office words more.

They're not sitting on their hands.

They're sitting on each others hands.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
It was a mistake to cut Hart if they aren’t going to proactively used the money. He would’ve been an improvement over either of the guards we have.. sure, he would be making a lot this year, but it would be a short term replacement until we got another guard.
(03-22-2021, 07:43 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: It was a mistake to cut Hart if they aren’t going to proactively used the money. He would’ve been an improvement over either of the guards we have.. sure, he would be making a lot this year, but it would be a short term replacement until we got another guard.

Did Hart sign anywhere?

I wouldn't be surprised to see him come back at a lower contract if he didn't.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
So another day of not doing anything? What an underwhelming free agency so far.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

(03-22-2021, 07:48 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So another day of not doing anything? What an underwhelming free agency so far.

The entire free agency has slowed down. Don’t see many teams making signings other than the giants. Rest of free agency is gonna be a slow roll.
(03-22-2021, 08:05 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: The entire free agency has slowed down. Don’t see many teams making signings other than the giants. Rest of free agency is gonna be a slow roll.

Yup.  Teams will start starving out the remaining FA's so they'll jump on whatever offer they get.  
Maybe someone will get cut worthy of the "splash" signing supposedly coming.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Top prospects that are left question. I’ve noticed both Eric Fisher and Malik Hooker are both on the top remaining FA list. Both players tore their achilles. I’ve been hoping for Kwon Alexander (also torn Achilles). Does anyone know how he’s played since leaving San Fran? I wanted him after he left Tampa, but he signed a huge contract that everyone knew the Bengals would never sign. I even remember an article, how Duffner was pounding the table for his guy. Then that same year with the Niners, he played against the Bengals. He was everywhere that game. Just curious why he wouldn’t still be sought after and Fisher and Hooker are?

Speaking of Hooker, bring him in for a look? Former first round reclamation project?
(03-22-2021, 08:05 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: The entire free agency has slowed down. Don’t see many teams making signings other than the giants. Rest of free agency is gonna be a slow roll.

That's not the problem. The problem is is that what's still out there isn't much of an upgrade. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
(03-22-2021, 08:56 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: That's not the problem. The problem is is that what's still out there isn't much of an upgrade. 

So is it bad we aren’t spending on non upgrades or should we be spending on those?
There will be more activity after the draft. June 1st cuts, etc. We may be able to find more depth on the OL then even after we draft OLmen. Its thinning out now, and the OG market was thin as it began. There was basically Thuney and Zeitler, and then a bunch of questionable OGs after that, but mostly still upgrades over Jordan and Redmond, even as 2nd stringers. Spain is out there. He did way better than any of the other OG's we had except XSF maybe.

We've done well for what we could get. Reiff is going to be better than Hart. Hendrickson can actually sack the QB. Ogunjobi will be an upgrade over Atkins and the others we signed off the street last year. Hilton is an upgrade, even though I really liked Alexander. Hilton's game is really good and he brings a lot of qualities. The other CB we signed has played at a high level and fits the zone scheme better. Every one of them are high character guys, which is worth something. So I cant sit here and say we havent upgraded the roster. I think we have.
(03-22-2021, 09:31 PM)bengaloo Wrote: There will be more activity after the draft. June 1st cuts, etc. We may be able to find more depth on the OL then even after we draft OLmen. Its thinning out now, and the OG market was thin as it began. There was basically Thuney and Zeitler, and then a bunch of questionable OGs after that, but mostly still upgrades over Jordan and Redmond, even as 2nd stringers. Spain is out there. He did way better than any of the other OG's we had except XSF maybe.

We've done well for what we could get. Reiff is going to be better than Hart. Hendrickson can actually sack the QB. Ogunjobi will be an upgrade over Atkins and the others we signed off the street last year. Hilton is an upgrade, even though I really liked Alexander. Hilton's game is really good and he brings a lot of qualities. The other CB we signed has played at a high level and fits the zone scheme better. Every one of them are high character guys, which is worth something. So I cant sit here and say we havent upgraded the roster. I think we have.

I'm good with the defensive additions.  We still need another pass rusher, but the starting lineup looks potentially solid to good.  The offensive strategy in free agency is a little confusing to me.  If you're building around Burrow, then I expect more adds than one RT, although I like the Reiff signing.  

I'm sure we'll see a weapon and a OL in 1 and 2, which is fine.  I'm still a little discouraged than no significant IOL were added.  I was not a Hart fan by any stretch, but the guards were even worse than he was, and there's been very little effort to upgrade that position.  That shows me that they still really don't regard it as a position of importance.  This is really baffling to me after watching these lines run the Redmonds and Jordans of the world out there for 2 seasons.  What else do they need to see to know that they need better personnel on the interior?
(03-22-2021, 09:47 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm good with the defensive additions.  We still need another pass rusher, but the starting lineup looks potentially solid to good.  The offensive strategy in free agency is a little confusing to me.  If you're building around Burrow, then I expect more adds than one RT, although I like the Reiff signing.  

I'm sure we'll see a weapon and a OL in 1 and 2, which is fine.  I'm still a little discouraged than no significant IOL were added.  I was not a Hart fan by any stretch, but the guards were even worse than he was, and there's been very little effort to upgrade that position.  That shows me that they still really don't regard it as a position of importance.  This is really baffling to me after watching these lines run the Redmonds and Jordans of the world out there for 2 seasons.  What else do they need to see to know that they need better personnel on the interior?

I'm discouraged we didnt add any G's or C's also. They apparently tried to get Zeitler but for whatever reason, he didnt. The market was thin for G/C overall. We really need both. Hopefully there will be more cuts and we have a good draft at building the interior of the OL. We need it bad. But I'm happy about the signings we did make so far. We got some good players. We could still add a few guys.
I would expect us to use that Golladay $$ to try to get a discounted DE, DT, and a WR. Though I think they could choose to wait until after the draft. For one, or all those positions.

For IOL, pickings are pretty slim. Turner included. Ain't nobody beating down his door.

Depending on how the draft goes (two lineman in 1st 3 rounds) could lead to releasing a guy like Price to free up some more $$$ under the cap. Perhaps that is what the Easton interest is about.

With a new OL coach, I'd expect him to both want to bring in his type of guy and evaluate the guys we have. Was surprised we cut Hart that quick.
(03-22-2021, 10:51 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I would expect us to use that Golladay $$ to try to get a discounted DE, DT, and a WR. Though I think they could choose to wait until after the draft. For one, or all those positions.

For IOL, pickings are pretty slim. Turner included. Ain't nobody beating down his door.

Depending on how the draft goes (two lineman in 1st 3 rounds) could lead to releasing a guy like Price to free up some more $$$ under the cap. Perhaps that is what the Easton interest is about.

With a new OL coach, I'd expect him to both want to bring in his type of guy and evaluate the guys we have. Was surprised we cut Hart that quick.

Yep I'd still love to see any of these guys brought in:

WR
T.Y. Hilton - Though i heard he wants to go back to Indy so it seems less likely we could get him here.
Sammy Watkins
Golden Tate
Pharoh Cooper
Chris Conley - So he went to the Texans? We definitely could have gotten him then.
Kenny Stills
Cordarrelle Patterson - He's got that juicy speed right? But he'd be the 5/6 that's there for special teams.

OL
Trai Turner
Mike Iupati
Jermaine Eluemunor
John Miller
Austin Reiter
Ben Garland

DL
Jadeveon Clowney
Geno Atkins
Ndamukong Suh - No way we pay him what he probably wants?
DaQuon Jones
Aldon Smith - Maybe, he was a major headcase so I'm not sure on him
Melvin Ingram
Kerry Hyder
Everson Griffen
Danny Shelton
Ifeadi Odenigbo
Vic Beasley
Alex Okafor
Dion Jordan

LB
KJ Wright
Josh Bynes
Kwon Alexander
Eric Wilson
BJ Goodson
Sean Lee

K
Stephen Gostkowski - Maybe? He was awful last year if I remember right.
We've had a good Free Agency so far. Reiff is a MAJOR upgrade at RT and on defense we did the important job of improving the quality across the board in the secondary and adding two starters on the DL who both will generate pass rush (and pass rush from the inside no less which lately has been lacking).

At this point we should resign Spain and maybe another outside vet Guard like a Turner, then go into the draft planning on double dipping on OL.
(03-22-2021, 11:29 PM)Joelist Wrote: We've had a good Free Agency so far. Reiff is a MAJOR upgrade at RT and on defense we did the important job of improving the quality across the board in the secondary and adding two starters on the DL who both will generate pass rush (and pass rush from the inside no less which lately has been lacking).

At this point we should resign Spain and maybe another outside vet Guard like a Turner, then go into the draft planning on double dipping on OL.

Pretty much my thoughts
(03-22-2021, 11:29 PM)Joelist Wrote: We've had a good Free Agency so far. Reiff is a MAJOR upgrade at RT and on defense we did the important job of improving the quality across the board in the secondary and adding two starters on the DL who both will generate pass rush (and pass rush from the inside no less which lately has been lacking).

Well we kinda just replaced players we lost at this point i dont think we have made any advancements on the roster outside the 1 year rental of Reiff.   which doesnt help us for very long.    Some of the holes will have to be plugged in the draft.  But the bengals shouldnt be slowing down they still have room for extenstions or additional signings.