Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How will we do in the North in 2021
IF, and it's a HUGE IF, this team stays healthy, they can easily go 3-3.

Let's look at last year:

Cleveland - (0-2) 35-30, 37-34. There's no way we lose the game at home with a healthy secondary. A split is within reason

Pittsburgh - (1-1) 36-10, 27-17 (W). Count me shocked that we actually won on Monday night. I think that this is the one team that has a worse overall roster than we do.

Baltimore - (0-2) 27-3, 36-10. The 27-3 game was brutal from an offensive standpoint, but the defense was outstanding. I can't see them winning a game against them, but they beat Pittsburgh last year.

It really comes down to when we play these team. If it's towards the end and some of our draft picks and free agents are as advertised, i can see 2-4 at worst.
Reply/Quote
If this team goes 3-3 in the division, I'll likely be forced to take a sick day, just so I'll be able to nurse my hangover from getting drunk with jubilation Mellow .
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 08:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If this team goes 3-3 in the division, I'll likely be forced to take a sick day, just so I'll be able to nurse my hangover from getting drunk with jubilation Mellow .

I'd be surprised as well, but IF Chase is the real deal and they stay pretty healthy, teams will have a hard time slowing them down.
Reply/Quote
I'd think 3-3 would be optimistic. Maybe overly so.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 08:08 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'd be surprised as well, but IF Chase is the real deal and they stay pretty healthy, teams will have a hard time slowing them down.

It's going to take some serious development and unity to happen, before this team is ready to stand up and trade punches with the Ravens.  Browns and Steelers both improved, as well.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I agree that the Browns will be the team to beat.If you haven’t noticed,we’re in a very tough division.I just hope this Carman (second round pick) tears it up.That would be great.Because with an above average OL Burrow will just light it up with the weapons he has.Under these circumstances,that is,with an above average line,I would fill confident in challenging any of these teams in the AFC North.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 08:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's going to take some serious development and unity to happen, before this team is ready to stand up and trade punches with the Ravens.  Browns and Steelers both improved, as well.

The Steelers are on a downward spiral.  Their line is worse than ours and their QB is junk.
Reply/Quote
Having Carman and Spain starting the season at Guard will also help Jonah and Reiff as they won't have liabilities next to them on the line. When we had MJ and Redmond out there at Guard it also dragged down both Tackles as lines play as a unit. With the improvement on both OL and WR (I love Tee Higgins and Boyd but Chase is a beast and his presence means our 3 WR set can't be singled up properly.

As to our division, I think the Stains are the team that may fall simply because Baker Mayfield is not that good a QB. The Browns only got into the playoffs on a fluke and they beat a Stealer team that frankly handed them the game on a platter. Then the Chiefs handled them pretty easily.

The Stealers I know have problems but they seem to find ways to win more often than not. I was kinda surprised when they played like crap in the playoffs like that. So maybe this is their bad year and they rebuild?

The Rats formula is defense and rushing. If you can contain the run and your offense can score points they have real problems when Lamar Jackson has to actually throw with touch. They only got past Tennessee because Tannehill had an awful game (yes the Rat D is good but he was just off in any event). And then Buffalo embarrassed them.

So...I think we could beat any of these teams ESPECIALLY if all the changes on defense to improve run defense pay off.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 02:18 PM)TJ528 Wrote: There's a reason people dont win in Vegas very often it's because usually Vegas is pretty damn close to right. 

6-7 wins this season honestly sounds like the most realistic outlook. 

Now fans with orange and black glasses on can see 11-6 or 12-5 records, but I'll take the 6.5 Vegas is offering. 

The gamble with this team is health.  And that's 50/50.  IF they can stay healthy, I can see the 7 wins.
Reply/Quote
I’m hoping we are at least the equal of the Steelers but still fear they have us covered on field. Quite some way behind the Browns and the Ravens will spank us again I suspect. 3-3 would be a great result IMO.
Reply/Quote
I see 2-4 as a best case scenario, but see a 1-5 record more likely if I was a betting man.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 09:23 PM)GodFather Wrote: I see 2-4 as a best case scenario, but see a 1-5 record more likely if I was a betting man.

I think 2-4 is a good spot.

Not sure why everyone believes the Bengals will sweep the Steelers. No matter how bad the Steelers were or how good the Bengals were, the last time Cincinnati swept the season series was 2009. Even in 2015 when the team went 12-4, was still a loss to the steelers in there. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 02:33 PM)bengals67 Wrote: no run game again this year and Burrow will be back in the hospital. 

The Cleveland front 4 against our o line is a scary thought for us.

Almost the same with Ravens and Steelers. 

There is a difference between a run game and a team that lives through it. But yes you do need one and that is why the Steelers lost to the Browns in the playoffs. 
Reply/Quote
1-5 if I had to guess. Maybe 2-4.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 02:37 PM)northernbengal Wrote: I think the steelers really struggle and the dolphins look better. I like the Pats and the Bills as a duo over the Browns and Ratbirds. I think its close and can go either way. I cannot say you are necessarily wrong and we have a very competitive division.  

It is crazy however, to think we have a better division than the NFC West. Seattle is a playoff team, and are better than the Steelers. I am not sure what to think of the Cardinals and think they will be similar to us. SF finished bottom 12 despite being wrecked by injuries. They were able to get to a SB with Jimmy G, so they are a playoff lock if healthy. Finally, the Rams might be the best team in the league. They have the best defense and Stafford with McVay is gonna make some crazy things happen. Right now they are my Superbowl favorite. I think it will be them and the Colts.

Tampa Bay disagrees with this statement... Hilarious

I hear ya about the Cards being about equal to the Bengals, and they both suffer from playing in tough divisions.  It will be really interesting to see how pitt fares against Seattle (at home) and Buffalo (on the road).  Of course, I hope they lose every game.  Browns and Ravens equal to Pats and Bills?  Maybe, based on history, but last year's Pats looked like turds with Cam Newton.  Not sure how much better they will fare should Mac Jones beat him out at some point.  
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 08:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If this team goes 3-3 in the division, I'll likely be forced to take a sick day, just so I'll be able to nurse my hangover from getting drunk with jubilation Mellow .

A lot is going to come down to how they start.  If they get off to a hot start, this young team will be playing with some energy and attitude.  They need it. 

I have been looking at the opponents and the team I would hope to open against is the Jets.  Since the league has the Bengals opening on the road so many years, if I had to choose a road opponent for week 1,  it would be the Jets.  
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 08:35 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: I agree that the Browns will be the team to beat.If you haven’t noticed,we’re in a very tough division.I just hope this Carman (second round pick) tears it up.That would be great.Because with an above average OL Burrow will just light it up with the weapons he has.Under these circumstances,that is,with an above average line,I would fill confident in challenging any of these teams in the AFC North.

Even if Carmen turns out, this isnt an above average line.  This line would be average at best.  To be above average you'd have to change out Hopkins with a better center, bring in someone better than Spain and Jonah is going to have to improve and show he can play more than 10 games a season at max.  Reiff is an unknown as well.  Dudes been a dog his hole career but he's going into his mid-30's and with the exception of Whit typically the body declines around 33-34yo in the NFL if not younger.  

We are in a very tough division.  I see 2-4 or 1-5 this year against those teams.  The Ravens wont kick our ass like they have been and we'll be competitive with the Browns.  Steelers until they decline I don't buy it.  They always seem to come out out on top.  
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 08:08 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: A lot is going to come down to how they start.  If they get off to a hot start, this young team will be playing with some energy and attitude.  They need it. 

I have been looking at the opponents and the team I would hope to open against is the Jets.  Since the league has the Bengals opening on the road so many years, if I had to choose a road opponent for week 1,  it would be the Jets.  

I would agree with you a lot of it is going to come down to how they start.  I think the other thing that's going to come down to is how many times a games is Zac going to have Burrow dropping back and throwing the ball?   

I truly think this is going to be a factor. Everyone is like oh Burrows going to come back this year and be a bad ass.  Well I'm sure and i HOPE Zac doesn't throw his ass out there and say well we're going to have you throw the ball 50-60 times a game again.  

Whether we like it or not there's going to be some limitations to this offense this year that wouldnt have been there last year with Burrows knee being destroyed.  We'll see what those limitations are.  I think the first half of the season will be a lot of Burrow getting back into the grove.  Getting the mental side right and balling out.  Burrows a bad ass but we can't say Burrows, Jesus Christ and walks on water.  He's a regular dude who's going to take time to work out some kinks in the armor.  

As far as who this team starts with it wouldn't shock me if they put the Bengals in Baltimore first, or Cleveland.  it seems like here of late the league has been starting with interconference games the first week of the season and the Bengals have drawn the Ravens many of times.  
Reply/Quote
3-3 would be what we should EXPECT. 2-4 is likely. We just aren't that good.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 09:00 AM)EatonFan Wrote: 3-3 would be what we should EXPECT.  2-4 is likely.  We just aren't that good.

This team is almost totally revamped and should be healthy. No one knows how good that is yet. We have Burrow throwing to Chase, Higgins and Boyd, and Mixon is now running right behind Jack the Giant and Riley Reiff, or left behind Spain and Williams. All in all, I expect this offense to be very high octane. 
Reply/Quote