Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Jan 6 Hearings
(06-11-2022, 08:39 AM)hollodero Wrote: Which of course is absolutely impossible to ever happen as long as the current election system stays in place.

I wondered once and still wonder why you wold still want to stick to it. Everything about is is awful for you, including that in reality, it does not matter one bit whom you pick for president, your vote counts for the democrat eventually.

I voted for Ross Perot in the first presidential election I was old enough to vote.  Mainly because I wanted him to do well enough to propel the formation of a third viable national party.  Sadly, this did not occur. 

Quote:Well ok, not a refutable stance, but one not quite relatable for me. I'd thought Biden has no extreme or radical plans; quite often I'd perceive him as disappointing the progressives time and again.

If you stop short of seizing the means of production and eliminating law enforcement you're disappointing "progressives."

Quote:Oh, as much as one could believee someone from the internet I believe you. It's not that incredible to begin with. Some ideas very progressive people muster seem very out of touch, and if these get implemented I can imagine it gets bad. And one can read about it, like what's up in Seattle and such.
I wonder though how much that has to do with who is POTUS. Seems the Trump years didn't change much.

They absolutely did, they drove people on both sides to further extremes.  That, coupled with the Floyd murder really gutted the criminal justice system in deep blue areas.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 12:26 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I find that extremely hard to believe pretty much every position you have is an extremely conservative position. Name 1 position where you actually agree with Democrats on.

Ugh, this question again.  First, I don't care what you find hard to believe or not.  Secondly, I'll give you far more than one.  I think abortion should be safe, legal and rare.  I was in favor of same sex marriage for decades longer than the golden child, Obama.  I have zero issue with gay or transgender people serving in the military in any role they can pass standards.  I am pro public safety net, such as General Relief and EBT cards, I just want them tied to certain expectations.  I think men and women should receive equal treatment, including access to cost effective birth control.  I think religion should never be used to craft, justify or denounce public policy.  That's any religion, btw.  I have zero issue with protests such as burning the flag or any other form of peaceful protest that doesn't block streets/highways or occurs outside a person's private residence.  I have zero issue with legal immigration, regardless of country of origin.

Now, what am I considered "conservative" on?  I despise soft on crime approaches to the criminal justice system as I have seen first hand how they not only don't work but result in the victimization of more people.  I am conservative when it comes to foreign policy, I think the primary goal of the US government is to look out for the needs of US citizens with everything else being secondary, at best.  I am anti-gun control because as with the first example, it doesn't work, doesn't stop criminals and only punishes people who actually follow the law.  This dovetails nicely into another issue with the first example.  I can't tell you how many gun related crimes the DA here prosecutes that don't include gun charges.  So please don't tell me we need more gun control when you're simultaneously letting armed criminals off the hook for using them in a crime.  I don't think transgender athletes should be able to compete against people who are not their biological sex because it's massively unfair for the women.  Note I didn't mention female to male transgenders because that almost never happens, and they damn sure aren't winning anything.

Does that answer your question?  Can we kindly move the eff on?
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 12:53 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Ugh, this question again.  First, I don't care what you find hard to believe or not.  Secondly, I'll give you far more than one.  I think abortion should be safe, legal and rare.  I was in favor of same sex marriage for decades longer than the golden child, Obama.  I have zero issue with gay or transgender people serving in the military in any role they can pass standards.  I am pro public safety net, such as General Relief and EBT cards, I just want them tied to certain expectations.  I think men and women should receive equal treatment, including access to cost effective birth control.  I think religion should never be used to craft, justify or denounce public policy.  That's any religion, btw.  I have zero issue with protests such as burning the flag or any other form of peaceful protest that doesn't block streets/highways or occurs outside a person's private residence.  I have zero issue with legal immigration, regardless of country of origin.

Now, what am I considered "conservative" on?  I despise soft on crime approaches to the criminal justice system as I have seen first hand how they not only don't work but result in the victimization of more people.  I am conservative when it comes to foreign policy, I think the primary goal of the US government is to look out for the needs of US citizens with everything else being secondary, at best.  I am anti-gun control because as with the first example, it doesn't work, doesn't stop criminals and only punishes people who actually follow the law.  This dovetails nicely into another issue with the first example.  I can't tell you how many gun related crimes the DA here prosecutes that don't include gun charges.  So please don't tell me we need more gun control when you're simultaneously letting armed criminals off the hook for using them in a crime.  I don't think transgender athletes should be able to compete against people who are not their biological sex because it's massively unfair for the women.  Note I didn't mention female to male transgenders because that almost never happens, and they damn sure aren't winning anything.

Does that answer your question?  Can we kindly move the eff on?

Means testing and work requirements are a R position not D one. The other positions are moderate R positions that former R supreme court justice Anthony Kennedy agrees with.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 07:46 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Man, I'd hate to see what you would think of people with actual progressive policies like the Roosevelts.

I don't think progressive is analogous with bad.  I just want policy to make sense, not punish people for the actions of a few or enable/promote a minority of the population at the expense of the rest
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 01:01 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Means testing and work requirements are a R position not D one. The other positions are moderate R positions that former R supreme court justice Anthony Kennedy agrees with.

Ahahaha, you've officially crossed into the "don't bother talking to this guy" category.  Seriously though, I did get a laugh out of your response, so one positive thing came from it.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 01:02 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Ahahaha, you've officially crossed into the "don't bother talking to this guy" category.  Seriously though, I did get a laugh out of your response, so one positive thing came from it.
I'm just calling you out on your BS you pretty much dont agree with D on anything except moderate Republican positions congrats you proved my point. Dont try to lie and say you never voted Republican you fell the need to lie pretty sad and pathetic.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 01:01 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don't think progressive is analogous with bad.  I just want policy to make sense, not punish people for the actions of a few or enable/promote a minority of the population at the expense of the rest

There is something we can definitely agree on. Evidence based policy is my bread and butter.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 01:07 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I'm just calling you out on your BS you pretty much dont agree with D on anything except moderate Republican positions congrats you proved my point. Dont try to lie and say you never voted Republican you fell the need to lie pretty sad and pathetic.

[Image: tumblr_e9eab7cc316f438364402484b2855090_...g.28511455]
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 01:01 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Means testing and work requirements are a R position not D one. The other positions are moderate R positions that former R supreme court justice Anthony Kennedy agrees with.

What’s your end game? I appreciate the people with positions that run the gamut. Why would he lie?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 08:57 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Asking a completely serious question:

What is the penalty for someone who commits treason against the US? Understanding there are a lot of variables, what is a ballpark idea of how much time someone could serve in a federal prison?

Sedition is a possibility but treason really isn’t by US standards
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 06:44 PM)michaelsean Wrote: What’s your end game?  I appreciate the people with positions that run the gamut.  Why would he lie?

Do I need one? I just believe based of the 100+ posts of his I read, He isn't being truthful.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2022, 11:27 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Do I need one? I just believe based of the 100+ posts of his I read, He isn't being truthful.

Somehow I'll find the courage to go on living.
Reply/Quote
I've been reading SSF's posts since he joined the board. I will say this, I 100% believe him when he says he has almost always voted for dems. He's obviously upset with the Dems in his state. As a liberal myself, I totally get where he is coming from. If you read all of his posts, then you would understand that he still has a lot of liberal positions. Trust me.....this cat ain't some lifelong conservative.

I have no doubt, that if the Dems rolled out better candidates, and changed their approach on just a couple of issues, he'd vote for a Dem. I totally get him being upset with Dems. I am too. However, my disdain for Trump could not bring me to the other side. I truly think he is evil. I think Biden is just stupid Hilarious

Sorry if I am wrong, SSF. I don't consider you a hard core right winger. Not even close lol.
I used to be jmccracky. Or Cracky for short.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2022, 12:07 PM)jmccracky Wrote: I've been reading SSF's posts since he joined the board. I will say this, I 100% believe him when he says he has almost always voted for dems. He's obviously upset with the Dems in his state. As a liberal myself, I totally get where he is coming from. If you read all of his posts, then you would understand that he still has a lot of liberal positions. Trust me.....this cat ain't some lifelong conservative.

I have no doubt, that if the Dems rolled out better candidates, and changed their approach on just a couple of issues, he'd vote for a Dem. I totally get him being upset with Dems. I am too. However, my disdain for Trump could not bring me to the other side. I truly think he is evil. I think Biden is just stupid  Hilarious

Sorry if I am wrong, SSF. I don't consider you a hard core right winger. Not even close lol.

No, you've pretty much nailed it.  This happens occasionally on here, likely due to the fact that for many people complete adherence to all party doctrine is required otherwise you're with the other side.  I am certainly not all aboard on several of the Dem positions of late, hence the current accusation.
Reply/Quote
All I know is right now, I'm really glad the Democrat party left me and my old school liberal values behind and I distanced myself from them, because this is a total embarrassment in every way. I would not let a democrat politician clean my toilet at this point. They are the most incompetent group of people this country has ever seen.

I have been feeling the way Elon Musk and Bill Mahr are feeling right now since Obama failed to deliver on anything he ran on. Boy he was a good talker though. Years later, a lot of the old school liberals are walking away from this embarrassment. All I can say is its about time.

JFK democrats unite. Lets make the Democrat party great again.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2022, 09:33 PM)bengaloo Wrote: All I know is right now, I'm really glad the Democrat party left me and my old school liberal values behind and I distanced myself from them, because this is a total embarrassment in every way. I would not let a democrat politician clean my toilet at this point. They are the most incompetent group of people this country has ever seen.

I have been feeling the way Elon Musk and Bill Mahr are feeling right now since Obama failed to deliver on anything he ran on. Boy he was a good talker though. Years later, a lot of the old school liberals are walking away from this embarrassment. All I can say is its about time.

JFK democrats unite. Lets make the Democrat party great again.

I agree. This neo-liberal bullshit that our party has gone to is a disgrace. We need to get back to the progressive ideals of FDR and modernize them for the 21st century.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2022, 09:39 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I agree. This neo-liberal bullshit that our party has gone to is a disgrace. We need to get back to the progressive ideals of FDR and modernize them for the 21st century.

Rock On
Reply/Quote
These sham hearings got trounced in the ratings by a re-run of "Young Sheldon." That should tell everyone what most of America thinks about them.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 01:01 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don't think progressive is analogous with bad.  I just want policy to make sense, not punish people for the actions of a few or enable/promote a minority of the population at the expense of the rest

I'm thinking that's sort of the essence of politics.  Deciding when the actions of the few can ruin it for the majority who don't misuse whatever it is and deciding when it should not.

(06-14-2022, 09:02 AM)Sled21 Wrote: These sham hearings got trounced in the ratings by a re-run of "Young Sheldon." That should tell everyone what most of America thinks about them.

True, people are pretty used to seeing Americans riot and kill each other because powerful people who shall remain blameless hinted that they should do so.  Same ol' song and dance.  Nice that you can get some sort of sense of pride out of the notion that people are used to this crap.

I'll say to me it's interesting how as the thing happened and right after many republicans were aghast about it and spoke out, but then they realized that it wasn't going to be a big deal and they've had 18 months or so to come up with every reason why it was hardly a big deal or didn't even happen.  Nothing to see here, unless Biden starts to hint that the Black Panthers need to use their 2A to make sure Kamala Harris has the courage to keep him in office in 2024 or something.

That'd be an interesting bridge to cross. 

EDIT

Actually, if I were to sum up why people aren't watching this I'd say it follows as:

Republicans - Nothing to see here, no big deal, way less awful than the BLM riots, also possibly an FBI or ANTIFA hoax.
Democrats - We've seen this for 16 months.  I'm sick of seeing a bunch of stuff Trump and his cronies are going to get away with.
Moderates - Damn, our political system sucks.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 09:47 AM)Nately120 Wrote: It isn't so much crazy as it shows that sort of rooting for the team mindset. I know people who parrot the conspiracy talk but if I ask them to just let me in on it and why they believe it they sort of trail off.

It's like being at a sporting event in my mind. In person you're in this crowd with a bunch of people "on your side" and even though you know the call on the field was right you enjoy booing the umpire for making it because it went against your team.

The Trump stuff has that same sort of "instant community" aspect bring a fan of a sports team or being a member of a religious group does.

I lived in Chicago in 2011 and 2012 so I saw some Obama attire, but Trump really became the first merchandise president.  It's pretty novel seeing people outwardly express via sign or attire ect a political figure or opinion all year every year. 

I recall seeing don't blame me I voted for Bush bumper stickers in 1993 but I don't recall anyone leaving Bush/Quayle 92 signs up for years after.  Trump changed the game, for sure. 

(06-10-2022, 12:00 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Agreed. I'm in a very reliably blue state (CT) but both grew up and now live in red towns with the "I already have my money so f*** other people benefiting from my tax payments" type of conservative. The amount of signs, flags, billboards that remain up both from 2016 and 2020 is unlike anything I've ever seen around here before. 

Very religious-esque. 

Might even call it a cult Ninja

(06-10-2022, 01:07 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Im saying there are few liberals here to own and the flags still fly to signal affiliation I'd assume. 

My buddy wears a Pittsburgh pirates hat because that's his team. He doesn't just put in on and drive to st Louis so he can cheese off cardinals fans. 

Also I think Trump fans have a sense that they are defying and fighting a universal "them" sort of enemy.  You need to constantly wear your affiliation to the right side constantly. 

As I don't live in the US, I can't comment directly to the above statements, but I've bolded what is EXACTLY going on here in Canada (Ontario, at the very least); it is the *exact* same thing as you guys wrote.

Only, it's anti-Trudeau, as opposed to pro whatever loser the PC (Progressive Conservatives, arguably one of the most oxymoronic names of an organization that exists in the world) party will trot out in 2025. The amount of conspiracy bullshit and just false lies that come out daily in this country is just as bad as you guys and I cannot believe how many people I considered friends, are just so ignorant towards things and have such hate in their hearts.

In Barrie (the northern tip of Southern Ontario), the overwhelming majority of the city is blue (which is opposite for you guys; Red/Yellow is left, Blue is right) and weekly, like clockwork, the convoy assholes (and they are, won't get into it now) assemble at the local OHL arena (because Barrie isn't big enough to support a major league) and parade around the city for 5-6 hours in their gargantuan Rams and F150s, complaining about gas prices and proudly waving a ton of, "**** Trudeau," flags, wearing a ton of Canadian flag garb, the same as you guys down south with Trumpers. People walk by and cheer them on, many yelling, "I agree, you're doing a great thing!" Just like a sports team... only I never knew sports teams to actively promote hate and anger.

I just want to up and get away from it all, back to a time when Canadian politics was such a nothing-burger and people didn't get aggressive and nasty. Truthfully, aside from the last 3 months with inflation, gas prices, etc., everyday Canadian life has been largely the same for the past 30 years (and possibly longer), regardless of whom has run the country/provinces: American influence and social media is trying to change that though...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote