Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama
(10-17-2023, 05:18 PM)pally Wrote: Rep Ken Buck is saying he believes there will be even more no votes if subsequent votes.  People who reluctantly voted yes in round 1 are one and done.  The message we tried to push him through it didn't work, its time to move on to a better candidate

Interesting, I heard a second vote on Jordan is scheduled for 6pm so we'll have to see if Ken Buck is right.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 05:18 PM)pally Wrote: Rep Ken Buck is saying he believes there will be even more no votes if subsequent votes.  People who reluctantly voted yes in round 1 are one and done.  The message we tried to push him through it didn't work, its time to move on to a better candidate

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
I personally can’t stand Jordan. He epitomizes everything wrong with our government.

For some reason the GOP thinks a former assistant wrastlin coach, who has never had a bill pass the house or signed in to law in 16 years, who was a key player in trying to overthrow the will of the American people, is a good choice?

Why are they are trying to jam him down America’s throat?

Out of all the people in Washington I do not like. He is easily in the running as one of the politicians I despise the most.

Is that what this is about? Not anything good for the country. Just another moment they can say they are winning because they made dems mad?
Reply/Quote
I have to say, I have never seen something so egregiously propagandic as Hannity's asshattery in all this.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 05:28 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Interesting, I heard a second vote on Jordan is scheduled for 6pm so we'll have to see if Ken Buck is right.

he needs more time...it has been postponed

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 06:21 PM)pally Wrote: he needs more time...it has been postponed

Go JORDAN! 

Full on MAGA governance!
Reply/Quote
This vote will reveal if Jordan is gaining power or losing it.  If he loses support I almost expect democrats to vote to empower the temp speaker, who is still a republican as some sort of compromise.  I expect a lot of "republicans are so good, even democrats admit we should be leading" narratives to ramp up soon after.

I guess it's also possible the dozen or so R's in Biden-won districts could cave in to the left, but that seems the least likely outcome.  My bet is that a few democrats cave to empowering Patrick McHenry because he's not Jim Jordan, he's not Matt Gaetz's pick, and he's close to McCarthy but they won't vote for McCarthy after he blamed them for getting him kicked out in the first place.

Perfect "Oh it's not SO bad" sort of cave in for the democrats to do, because that's what they do.

Oh, and republican Don Bacon is saying Jim Jordan's team is texting/contacting the spouses of holdouts.  My cousin was married to a woman with borderline personality disorder who would harass the wives of his friends so they'd all stop contacting him.  It's sleazy, but effective.  She also liked to accuse people of being pedophiles. Anyways, almost vote time.
Reply/Quote
So far the vote is worse for Jordan today than it was yesterday.

And the votes are there to keep the Speakership from Jordan

now does he try a 3rd time, they move on to a new candidate, or the vote in McHenry for 30 days

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 01:23 PM)pally Wrote: So far the vote is worse for Jordan today than it was yesterday.

And the votes are there to keep the Speakership from Jordan

now does he try a 3rd time, they move on to a new candidate, or the vote in McHenry for 30 days

Jordan should just say it's rigged or pretend he didn't see it.  McHenry is the mostly likely pick now, but I assume he being a diet version of McCarthy would send the freedom caucus over to the NO side, right?

Candace Miller of Michigan?  Huh?

John Bohner got a vote...blast from the past!  Are we going to hear more not so serious votes from the GOP?  Ronald Reagan?  Joe Exotic? 
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 01:28 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Jordan should just say it's rigged or pretend he didn't see it.  McHenry is the mostly likely pick now, but I assume he being a diet version of McCarthy would send the freedom caucus over to the NO side, right?

Candace Miller of Michigan?  Huh?

John Bohner got a vote...blast from the past!  Are we going to hear more not so serious votes from the GOP?  Ronald Reagan?  Joe Exotic? 

"The Honorable Bozo the Clown"

I'd make a terrible rep if I were on the D side of things. 
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 02:08 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: "The Honorable Bozo the Clown"

I'd make a terrible rep if I were on the D side of things. 

I'd vote for Beau Zodeklown.
Reply/Quote
Well then...

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 03:22 PM)GMDino Wrote: Well then...

Matt Gaetz could have gotten on his venmo and paid a few high school cheerleading squads to show up to cheer for Jim.

Anywho, I'm pretty sure McHenry is pro Ukraine aid and voted to certify the 2020 election so democrats would get behind electing him.  He's a republican technically, but those things make him seem like an ultra lib.  I'm sure Gaetz would be screaming about how he's a RINO and they need to vote for Trump or Putin for speaker, or something. 

Over under on Kyle Rittenhouse getting a vote if this keeps going on and on like the McCarthy vote?
Reply/Quote
Things seem to be going well...

Reply/Quote
no 3rd vote today.

Reply/Quote
We sit here because every Democrat in the house voted with 8 Republicans. Make no mistake, it is the 8 morons to blame.

At this point, I say just leave the speakership vacant. It is not a good option in my opinion to give the minority membership any authority to determine the GOP majority speaker either in the short or long term.

If Democrats continue to push for Jeffries, then just keep taking daily votes for speaker until they change their vote. Personally, I would not vote for any speaker that refuses to stop funding to Ukraine until every dime spent thus far is audited and accounted for by an independent accounting firm. The Ukraine money was ear marked for weapons and for use to win a war, not for teachers in Ukraine nor to rebuild their infrastructure. If the government is shut down, it will be easy for Republicans to blame the Democrats for the shutdown since more Republicans voted to maintain order in the house. I say call Jeffries bluff and shut it down.

I also would not give 100 million dollars to Gaza, I would loan 100 million dollars to Gaza, Why do we just spend money like water without a plan to reduce debt and reduce spending?

Loan Ukraine and Israel money, quit giving away our future.

Last, I would not approve a dime to foreign countries until Biden and Democrats close the border. Trump did it so we know it can be done. Money for the border will do nothing to stop illegal immigrants from entering, no money for the border. If Biden and Democrats in Senate want anything for foreign countries, 1st they have to close the border immediately.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 07:12 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We sit here because every Democrat in the house voted with 8 Republicans. Make no mistake, it is the 8 morons to blame.

At this point, I say just leave the speakership vacant. It is not a good option in my opinion to give the minority membership any authority to determine the GOP majority speaker either in the short or long term.

If Democrats continue to push for Jeffries, then just keep taking daily votes for speaker until they change their vote. Personally, I would not vote for any speaker that refuses to stop funding to Ukraine until every dime spent thus far is audited and accounted for by an independent accounting firm. The Ukraine money was ear marked for weapons and for use to win a war, not for teachers in Ukraine nor to rebuild their infrastructure. If the government is shut down, it will be easy for Republicans to blame the Democrats for the shutdown since more Republicans voted to maintain order in the house. I say call Jeffries bluff and shut it down.

I also would not give 100 million dollars to Gaza, I would loan 100 million dollars to Gaza, Why do we just spend money like water without a plan to reduce debt and reduce spending?

Loan Ukraine and Israel money, quit giving away our future.

Last, I would not approve a dime to foreign countries until Biden and Democrats close the border. Trump did it so we know it can be done. Money for the border will do nothing to stop illegal immigrants from entering, no money for the border. If Biden and Democrats in Senate want anything for foreign countries, 1st they have to close the border immediately.

by law, the House can't legislate without a Speaker so if there is no Speaker the House does nothing.  The government shuts down in 4 weeks.

Kevin McCarthy not only gave his minority the gun to shoot him with he gave them the bullet.  Republicans have enough votes to name the leader of their majority.  They just have to act like adults, a big stretch I know, and choose a candidate they can all agree on or choose someone that will work with the Democrats for their votes.  Republicans though they have said they won't work across the aisle.  
The world knows which party is organized and ready to work and which is imitating a circus, not able to get out of their own way.  It won't be the Democrats who get blamed.  IT is amusing though to see Republicans whining about Democrats not coming to their rescue

Reply/Quote
I love when people are like "why won't the Democrats vote for someone to lead the legislative body that they are so ideologically opposed to?!" Speaker votes are party line. It's all but a certainty in life and to think or expect Democrats, especially in any substantial number, to vote for a GOP Speaker is some of the highest level naivete I have ever encountered and trying to say Democrats hold any responsibility for the circus that is the GOP right now is hilarious.

This is the bed the GOP and their supporters have made. Lie in it. I know that the RNC propaganda networks are trying to sell GOP voters a story, but they give away the game by saying there should be no compromise. They said the quiet part out loud and identified their hardline stance while at the same time expressing they are anything but actual news.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 07:46 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I love when people are like "why won't the Democrats vote for someone to lead the legislative body that they are so ideologically opposed to?!" Speaker votes are party line. It's all but a certainty in life and to think or expect Democrats, especially in any substantial number, to vote for a GOP Speaker is some of the highest level  naivete I have ever encountered and trying to say Democrats hold any responsibility for the circus that is the GOP right now is hilarious.

This is the bed the GOP and their supporters have made. Lie in it. I know that the RNC propaganda networks are trying to sell GOP voters a story, but they give away the game by saying there should be no compromise. They said the quiet part out loud and identified their hardline stance while at the same time expressing they are anything but actual news.

What's wrong GOP?

GOP  - We gerrymandered and propagandered our way into a pickle where nuts like Matt Gaetz hold our party hostage because they have unquestioned support and districts that make them invincible!

So, what are you going to do to fix this?

GOP - Um, more propaganda and gerrymandering,  I guess.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 07:32 PM)pally Wrote:
by law, the House can't legislate without a Speaker so if there is no Speaker the House does nothing.  The government shuts down in 4 weeks.

Kevin McCarthy not only gave his minority the gun to shoot him with he gave them the bullet.  Republicans have enough votes to name the leader of their majority.  They just have to act like adults, a big stretch I know, and choose a candidate they can all agree on or choose someone that will work with the Democrats for their votes.  Republicans though they have said they won't work across the aisle.  
The world knows which party is organized and ready to work and which is imitating a circus, not able to get out of their own way.  It won't be the Democrats who get blamed.  IT is amusing though to see Republicans whining about Democrats not coming to their rescue

If you read my post, that was my point. Do nothing and let the politics play out while no more spending for Ukraine nor Israel. Biden gave Hamas (says for Palestinians so don't steal it Hamas) 100 million. Which part of over 60% voting for Hamas leadership is Biden failing to understand. The majority of Palestinians want to wipe Israel and every Jew off the map. 

No House in Session means no more spending our grand children's money with wasteful spending and government being too big.

It will handcuff the Democratic Senate led majority and the Democratic President. Let the sides go to their corners and fight the PR war on whom to blame, I see arguments on both sides. That is what I meant by calling Jeffries bluff, shut it down by not electing a speaker or both sides can be reasonable and choose a speaker from the majority side.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote