Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread***
(03-11-2024, 09:03 PM)Nepa Wrote: Agreed. And don't want to go into the 1st round needing a OT and DT, as they could go off the board before 18. Jonah Williams only had a 59.1 PFF grade overall (82nd among OTs!) last season*, but it was his first season at RT in the NFL. I would rather that than, as you say, going into next season gambling on the 18th pick in the draft. 

* https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/jonah-williams-on-his-future-season-at-right-tackle-hope-that-helps-my-value-in-some-way

Hope Jonah can get better at RT if we do re-sign him. At least he isn't terrible, like a rookie might be no matter who falls to us.

(03-11-2024, 09:04 PM)pulses Wrote: Jonah graded a 58 pff not sure how that is getting better but ok Hilarious    Just sign Brown for 2 years.

Trent Brown? Yeah, I am down with that over Jonah if Trent Brown is still an option...

(03-11-2024, 09:07 PM)Wyche Wrote: I liked him a lot as an H-back.

Same here, Drew Sample really impressed me in the backfield protecting Browning as an H-Back late last year.

Want to see this with Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 09:10 PM)jason Wrote: The rest of the guys on that line have too.

Yes, I blame Pollack the most, proven vets shouldn't regress when coming to your team.

But, as we all know, Burrow being hurt and us being in the Shotgun all the time sure didn't help the OL.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 09:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hope Jonah can get better at RT if we do re-sign him. At least he isn't terrible, like a rookie might be no matter who falls to us.

Trent Brown? Yeah, I am down with that over Jonah if Trent Brown is still an option...

Same here, Drew Sample really impressed me in the backfield protecting Browning as an H-Back late last year.

Want to see this with Burrow.

Yes! He was also able to get lost quite a bit in that role and become a viable safety valve. We need to see way more of that.
Reply/Quote
There is no way we sign a TE for $11 mil after giving Sample $5 mil.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 09:43 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: There is no way we sign a TE for $11 mil after giving Sample $5 mil.

It was a little less than that from what I have read at 3.5 million per year but I do agree, they arent going to sign a TE to a 11 million dollar per year contract.
Reply/Quote
Jeremy Fowler
@JFowlerESPN
Sources: The #Seahawks are closing in on a deal with Leonard Williams.

One of the top interior defensive linemen in the free agent class off the market.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 09:43 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: There is no way we sign a TE for $11 mil after giving Sample $5 mil.

Teams that are serious about making the TE position a viable part of their offensive game plan do.  If the Bengals are going to shift away from being 3WR dominate to a more dynamic offense, then it would make perfect sense to have your utility TE secure while searching for your primary pass catching TE that will require a bit more of an investment.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Hate to rely on a rookie DT.

They are going to have to pay Reader.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Well on the bengals app they have a free agency tracker and list Trenton Irwin as an unrestricted free agent along with Reader, Williams, Boyd, etc..

I thought he was for sure going to be back.

Losing Tee, Boyd, and Irwin would be a whole lot of turnover in the WR room.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 09:57 PM)jj22 Wrote: Hate to rely on a rookie DT.

They are going to have to pay Reader.
Trade Tee to Carolina for Derrick Brown.
Reply/Quote
Townsend gone to the Texans so we are still stuck with club foot.

Read that we still have about 30m worth of cap space after draft picks, ps etc.

What the hell are we waiting for? DJ will eat some of that if he stays but we have money to play with and several players have gone today for not big hits which would have made us vastly better.

So frustrating.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 09:59 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: Townsend gone to the Texans so we are still stuck with club foot.

What the hell are we waiting for? DJ will eat some of that if he stays but we have money to play with and several players have gone today for not big hits which would have made us vastly better.

So frustrating.

I'm thinking Trent Brown on a 2 yr deal for like 12 million.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 09:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Teams that are serious about making the TE position a viable part of their offensive game plan do.  If the Bengals are going to shift away from being 3WR dominate to a more dynamic offense, then it would make perfect sense to have your utility TE secure while searching for your primary pass catching TE that will require a bit more of an investment.

Burrow will throw to who is open.

I love, and agree with, the discussion for targets, but think it overshadows the need for time and opportunity.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 10:02 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: Burrow will throw to who is open.

I love, and agree with, the discussion for targets, but think it overshadows the need for time and opportunity.

That is definitely true.  However offenses that favor the TE and Backs in the passing game can also be quite deadly downfield as well.  It's a matter of scheming guys open and taking advantage of the coverage opportunities.  Dinking and dunking can seem boring to watch, but it chews up a lot of clock, keeping the defense fresh while waiting for that deep shot opportunity to arise.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 09:59 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: Townsend gone to the Texans so we are still stuck with club foot.

So frustrating.

Just read that. Dang. I was really hoping we could get Townsend.  1st team all-pro a year ago. Cost was 2 years, 6 million dollars. Seems worth it to me.  Of course, Texas does not have state income tax.
Reply/Quote
Is Jackson Carman possibly the plan at RT?
Ninja Gaah
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 10:09 PM)Nepa Wrote: Just read that. Dang. I was really hoping we could get Townsend.  2 years, 6 million dollars. Seems worth it to me.  Of course, Texas does not have state income tax.

I just saw this too. Seemed a very affordable deal and I didn't realize he was Money Mac's place holder. Seemed he would've been a very good fit.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 10:09 PM)Nepa Wrote: Just read that. Dang. I was really hoping we could get Townsend.  1st team all-pro a year ago. Cost was 2 years, 6 million dollars. Seems worth it to me.  Of course, Texas does not have state income tax.

That sounds good on the front end, until you realize that the average sales tax in Texas is 8.20%.  Shocked I'm sure that in any of the metro areas it likely balloons to over 10%.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Well, at least the Bengals haven't irritated their fan base the last couple of years the way the Panthers irritated country singer Luke Combs.

Luke Combs ?
@lukecombs
@Panthers
WHAT ARE WE DOING?!?!? No first round pick for McCaffrey a few years back and now none for Burns?!?! Are we just fire bombing the whole team here or what? I usually don’t comment on these kinds of things but it’s just becoming slow torture at this point.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 10:11 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Is Jackson Carman possibly the plan at RT?
Ninja Gaah

No, Cody Ford is.
Reply/Quote