Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread***
(03-12-2024, 09:30 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: DT.  Reader, Rankins or armstead.  

I would really like to get armstead… he reminds me a little bit of Chris jones.

Kendall fuller, or some other CB.

Outside chance… if the bengals have got offers for tee Higgins, maybe they go try and secure a Calvin Ridley or marquise brown on an 2-3 year deal and then flip Higgins.

If they were going to do something like that, they would have just extended Higgins..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 12:23 AM)Joelist Wrote: Really? We got BETTER today not worse.

Geno Stone directly addresses THE major defensive issue that caused all the explosive plays. He is a football smart excellent coverage safety who will be taking on that important role of communication and getting everyone aligned.

Zack Moss is a FAR better pass protector than Mixon, runs hard, breaks tackles (which Mixon did not), makes defenders miss (which Mixon did not) and fits the scheme well.

Yes Chido left and yes Reader is still out there but so far it looks pretty decent.

You’re not accounting for all of the loses we had. We lost our RT, CB, DT. And we signed a S. How did that make us better? We have a lot of work to do. I know we’ll fill the holes, I’m just very confused on what the strategy is. Who do they want to pay? We have 50M in cap space. They don’t want to give it to Tee. So which big free agents do they want? They have a massive hole at RT and DT. The Bengals are not dumb enough to say, we’ll find 2 starters in the draft. So which FA will they get? I’m not saying it’s been a bad offseason, it just started. I’m just saying what’s the plan? To me, it seems like they don’t have one. I would have expected either a long term deal with Tee OR 1 big free agent at either RT or DT considering the massive holes there.

So far, no, we have not improved. Until we sign just one of a DT or RT, then we can see if we upgraded. We can fill one of RT DT with pick 18, but certainly not both.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 09:52 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: I’m not saying it’s been a bad offseason, it just started. I’m just saying what’s the plan? To me, it seems like they don’t have one. I would have expected either a long term deal with Tee OR 1 big free agent at either RT or DT considering the massive holes there.

Seems like the plan was to retain important depth pieces at TE, OL, LB/STs. Then they addressed a serious issue at coverage Safety, and then proceeded to get younger, cheaper and more dynamic at RB, and are showing interest in a good Cover CB.  They strike me as definitely having a plan, just not the one that you had in mind.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It's falling into place. I want to see help in the trenches.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 09:52 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If they were going to do something like that, they would have just extended Higgins..

Not if Higgins isn’t going to accept the deal... Honestly, whatever MPJ signed for yesterday is the correct contract for Higgins. 3 years 72m with 45 gtd (2 tag value). I fully believe the bengals offered something in that vicinity, last year, and the agent is a problem. That cannot be understated.

If they can get Brown/Ridley on a 3 year 45-60m deal, they would probably view it different. I guess it depends on how much more they value Higgins over those two, but if it’s equal and they can reduce their cash outlay this year and bring in assets, they would have to consider it.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 09:58 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Seems like the plan was to retain important depth pieces at TE, OL, LB/STs. Then they addressed a serious issue at coverage Safety, and then proceeded to get younger, cheaper and more dynamic at RB, and are showing interest in a good Cover CB.  They strike me as definitely having a plan, just not the one that you had in mind.

So resigning a back up TE, back up LB, back up RB (Trayveon), back up OT (Ford), and a S who may start may be rotational with our 1st round investment Hill, not trade or extend one of our best players while sitting on 50M in cap space….thats the plan? Yeah I’d say that isn’t my plan. That can’t be the Bengals plan. I know it’s not, hence the confusion.

Their plan is to either spend that money on Tee or pay for who? There are still players out there, but who actually makes our team better. I’ve been a big proponent for trading Tee but that was to only use that Cap space to sign a player of his quality at a different position. If we let Tee walk next year for nothing and don’t use that money to replace our team with another top 100 NFL player- we certainly aren’t better.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 09:58 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Seems like the plan was to retain important depth pieces at TE, OL, LB/STs. Then they addressed a serious issue at coverage Safety, and then proceeded to get younger, cheaper and more dynamic at RB, and are showing interest in a good Cover CB.  They strike me as definitely having a plan, just not the one that you had in mind.

If the rumor about Tee and Carolina is true, then that might be the key that opens everything up. Hopefully we get some news on that front today and the pieces start falling into place.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 09:52 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: You’re not accounting for all of the loses we had. We lost our RT, CB, DT. And we signed a S. How did that make us better? We have a lot of work to do. I know we’ll fill the holes, I’m just very confused on what the strategy is. Who do they want to pay? We have 50M in cap space. They don’t want to give it to Tee. So which big free agents do they want? They have a massive hole at RT and DT. The Bengals are not dumb enough to say, we’ll find 2 starters in the draft. So which FA will they get? I’m not saying it’s been a bad offseason, it just started. I’m just saying what’s the plan? To me, it seems like they don’t have one. I would have expected either a long term deal with Tee OR 1 big free agent at either RT or DT considering the massive holes there.

So far, no, we have not improved. Until we sign just one of a DT or RT, then we can see if we upgraded. We can fill one of RT DT with pick 18, but certainly not both.

We were never going to be able to fill all our holes in FA. Nor in the draft. It is gonna have to be some of each. 

So far it has been Stone + depth (D. Sample, ADG, Ford, T. Williams) + a lateral move with the Moss/Mixon moves. And we turned a 6th round pick into a 3rd. 

We have the $$ to go Reader + 1 big fish. I'd hope it is a 3T or CB1. Armstead & Fuller are out there, but they, and Reader, are a little older than we usually go in FA. 

Then go around the edges. I would love to bring Hudson back. A low priced flier on Hurst and/or La'el Collins. 

If we get a Godfather offer for Tee, take it. Otherwise, no. Two 2nds from Carolina (33 & 39). 1 second and top of 3rd from them might get it done for me. 33 & 65 yes. 39 & 65 is iffy. 

IF there is a Tee deal, then that probably means another bigger fish incoming. My current dream would be Reader + Armstead + Fuller. Then the D is set entering the draft save for a depth piece or two (Tupou, Bailey, Bachie). And the draft is nearly all about O (OT, WRs, TE, IOL, RB. P or DT possible.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 10:10 AM)Wyche Wrote: If the rumor about Tee and Carolina is true, then that might be the key that opens everything up. Hopefully we get some news on that front today and the pieces start falling into place.

I haven't heard that rumor about Tee and Carolina, but I hope it's true. I was all for keeping Tee and going for it all this year, but the seemingly intractable contract negotiations, the concern that an outlandish Tee contract would hamstring the Bengals, and now the public demanding of a trade (lowering the Bengals trade leverage and increasing the possibility of holding out part of the season) has me disillusioned about keeping Tee. At this point, I am all for a trade and finding a WR on a rookie contract (Brian Thomas if he made it to 18).
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 09:16 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Any predications for today?

Curtis samual as a Boyd replacement.
Reply/Quote
RB Aaron Jones to Vikings.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 10:09 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: So resigning a back up TE, back up LB, back up RB (Trayveon), back up OT (Ford), and a S who may start may be rotational with our 1st round investment Hill, not trade or extend one of our best players while sitting on 50M in cap space….thats the plan? Yeah I’d say that isn’t my plan. That can’t be the Bengals plan. I know it’s not, hence the confusion.

Their plan is to either spend that money on Tee or pay for who? There are still players out there, but who actually makes our team better. I’ve been a big proponent for trading Tee but that was to only use that Cap space to sign a player of his quality at a different position. If we let Tee walk next year for nothing and don’t use that money to replace our team with another top 100 NFL player- we certainly aren’t better.

What if after the trade request, the Bengals decided that they had soured on the idea of trying to pay 2 big-time WRs at the same time?  Maybe they are planning on taking the offense in a completely different direction?  I'm sure that there really is more to the "plan", but we just need to keep watching as it plays out and reveals itself to us.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 03:56 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Don’t be surprised if Mixon is traded for a 4th or 5th rounder.

I would not be surprised at all if the Bengals traded him to the Jags and then didn’t.
Reply/Quote
Titans add a LB to their free agency haul:

Titans add LB Kenneth Murray Jr.

According to multiple reports, he agreed to a two-year contract worth $18 million.

Titans had already reached agreements with running back Tony Pollard, cornerback Chidobe Awuzie and center Lloyd Cushenberry during the negotiating period.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 09:30 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: DT. Reader, Rankins or armstead.

I would really like to get armstead… he reminds me a little bit of Chris jones.

Kendall fuller, or some other CB.

Outside chance… if the bengals have got offers for tee Higgins, maybe they go try and secure a Calvin Ridley or marquise brown on an 2-3 year deal and then flip Higgins.

if it is Armstead, should be a 1 year prove it deal.. over 30 and been injured.. red flags
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 12:04 PM)pally Wrote:

Is this good?
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 11:32 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: if it is Armstead, should be a 1 year prove it deal.. over 30 and been injured.. red flags

Would you say the same for reader?
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 12:09 PM)Stewy Wrote: Is this good?

Low risk high reward
Reply/Quote